ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - West & PNW
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #1
rob23 OP
on the pipe
 
rob23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Oddometer: 1,811
Tahoe Big Bike Loops?

Looking for some tracks/routes of good twisties, easy dirt roads and light trails around Tahoe. Something I can take a rented KLR down without killing it . Maybe I can get an XRL or DRZ400 or something a little better..

Some all street routes would be good too in case I get stuck renting a street bike. I love twisties, the more technical the better. Some nice scenery and some great places to eat would also be helpful.

I'll be in the area from 8/25 - 8/28 if anyone wants to show me around.

Thanks,
Rob
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 06:00 PM   #2
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob23
Looking for some tracks/routes of good twisties, easy dirt roads and light trails around Tahoe. Something I can take a rented KLR down without killing it . Maybe I can get an XRL or DRZ400 or something a little better..

Some all street routes would be good too in case I get stuck renting a street bike. I love twisties, the more technical the better. Some nice scenery and some great places to eat would also be helpful.

I'll be in the area from 8/25 - 8/28 if anyone wants to show me around.

Thanks,
Rob
Any paved road between Hwy 395 and I-5 fits your bill. There are no bad roads around Tahoe except perhaps I-80.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
Crawdaddy
Navigate 2 Adventure
 
Crawdaddy's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2007
Location: Ramona, CA.
Oddometer: 2,231
89/4/108/395

If you wind up with a road bike, you might want to head over to Markleeville for an early breakfast then run back and forth on 89 (Moniter Pass).......very fun in either direction.......before jumping on 4 (Ebbits Pass) over to Sonora and cut back on 108 (Sonora Pass)......then run back up 395 along the Walker River before jumping back on 89 for one last trip across Moniter Pass before heading back into Tahoe......lot's of fun......I've been riding sport bikes up there for ~20+ years though my primary focus these days is in the dirt.....

Drew/attached a ~300 mile route in Mapsource that'll take you over Monitor Pass 3X and also pick up 4/108/395 as discussed above......have fun....
Attached Files
File Type: gpx Tahoe Road Loop Route GPX.gpx (332.8 KB, 232 views)
__________________
Chris Crawford (Crawford + 4 kids = Crawdaddy )
http://www.CrawdadOffRoadEvents.com
http://www.DualSportMoto.com
http://www.WhereAmIRiding.com
Crawdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:01 PM   #4
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy
If you wind up with a road bike, you might want to head over to Markleeville for an early breakfast then run back and forth on 89 (Moniter Pass).......very fun in either direction.......before jumping on 4 (Ebbits Pass) over to Sonora and cut back on 108 (Sonora Pass)......then run back up 395 along the Walker River before jumping back on 89 for one last trip across Moniter Pass before heading back into Tahoe......lot's of fun......I've been riding sport bikes up there for ~20+ years though my primary focus these days is in the dirt.....

Drew/attached a ~300 mile route in Mapsource that'll take you over Monitor Pass 3X and also pick up 4/108/395 as discussed above......have fun....
He said he is going to be on a road bike either way, just KLR650 or bigger. I have many many miles of dirt bike stuff but here really aren't many KLR dirt roads up here. Like I said every paved road up here is fun on a bike.
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2010, 09:32 PM   #5
74C5
Studly Adventurer
 
74C5's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2008
Location: El Dorado Hills, CA
Oddometer: 926
KLR650?
Cut off 89 onto Morningstar road, in Loope (just a mile or two east of 4) and take it around to Leviathan Mine rd. Turn left. Take Leviathan all the way out to 395 or, turn left near the end and try to find the hot springs on the river. I had no joy with the hot springs today but, from a different route (hangmans bridge) that isn't open anymore.

Take Hwy 50 down to Wrights Lake, or Ice House rds. Take 11 Pines and Hell Hole past French Meadows then to Robertson Ranch and Soda Springs to Soda Springs. I haven't made it the full length of this route due to snow in July.

Havent done this one so not sure if it's KLR'able but, I've heard it car-able. 89 north from Truckee, left on Henness Pass Rd (Forest Route 07) all the way down to Hwy 49 near Camptonville.
__________________
R1200RT (R1100RT gone)
KLR650 - gone
Don't be the guy who needs to pee on the fence to figure out that it's electrified.

74C5 screwed with this post 08-16-2010 at 07:58 AM
74C5 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 01:35 PM   #6
rob23 OP
on the pipe
 
rob23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Oddometer: 1,811
great info, thanks for the Gpx file, much appreciated..
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 05:58 PM   #7
rwamf
Follow me
 
rwamf's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Odessa TX USA
Oddometer: 1,351

I have these tracks, mostly dirt, have done them all on my 1150GSADV.
__________________
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. ~ RWE
Robert

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 06:34 PM   #8
Countdown
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Carson City/Ridgecrest
Oddometer: 5,289
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwamf
I have these tracks, mostly dirt, have done them all on my 1150GSADV.
Disclaimer for above. I saw him ride his TE610 up a soft sandy switchback that most other riders on 450s took at least one helper it get up.

It is about like saying I saw Jimmy Lewis do it!
__________________
Jerry Counts
Countdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 05:20 PM   #9
rob23 OP
on the pipe
 
rob23's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Location: Dirty Jerz
Oddometer: 1,811
cool, you got a gpx file for that screen shot?

I'm a b class enduro/hs racer. I can handle the big bike in the sand, that's all south jersey is, sand and trees.. and up north it's rocks.

I'll pm you guys when I get out there and maybe we can meet up for a ride.
rob23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
rwamf
Follow me
 
rwamf's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2003
Location: Odessa TX USA
Oddometer: 1,351
PM sent
__________________
"Do not go where the path may lead, go instead where there is no path and leave a trail. ~ RWE
Robert

rwamf homepage
rwamf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2011, 06:25 PM   #11
bitemeback
electriceel125
 
Joined: Feb 2008
Location: The Big Montana
Oddometer: 149
I am heading that way in June, could you PM me that gpx file as well?

Thanks!
__________________
SV650 - dead
KTM 625SXC - sold
DR650 - sold
XR650R - WANT To buy it?
bitemeback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 08:59 AM   #12
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU
 
craftycoder's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2009
Location: Atlanta
Oddometer: 2,262
dualsportmaps.com has many tahoe tracks.

craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #13
smg94131
SF-CA R1200GS
 
Joined: Dec 2009
Location: Midtown Terrace - San Francisco, CA
Oddometer: 26
Leviathan Mine Road is a great starter road. It is a scenic road ride to the site and a good entry off road trail. I've done it on a R1200GS with no issues so anything smaller would be easy.
smg94131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 03:21 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014