Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 07:34 PM   #5971
Stromdog
Howl at the Moon

Oddometer: 2,703
Just an opinion on the Caribou side case set up. Tough, well built and functional. I had a set on my '05 DL 1000, and they served me well.

Just thought I'd chime in for you guys considering Caribou cases for your new 800's. They worked very well for me. I've run them across the US and back, packing heavy, camping and running all manner of roads and weather. Never crashed them, but I believe they would have held up well, if I had. Caribou's mounting frame setup is quite robust. Good stuff, IMHO.
Stromdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #5972
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,524
More hard luggage options for the Tiger

(Exclusive spy photos!)

The hubby and I were lucky enough to have our Tigers used for the prototype Jesse luggage system. We've been riding our bikes to work this week, with bags mostly empty. Can't even tell they are there once you are riding. It's a bit of an adaption for me getting on and off the bike with luggage. This will be my first bike with hard bags. We have a pavement/dirt camping trip planned, and we will post an update on how everything works out.

For those familiar with the Jesse luggage, you know how well it is made and how slick everything works. 5" adjustment travel (forward/back) to get the weight balanced right where you need it. Plus a bit of tilt adjustment as well. Matching locks. Top loading!

These are the 10" Odyssey bags.

Overall width on the Tiger is about 37". You can bring them in another inch closer if you have an aftermarket pipe. (Stock pipe on ours)

And a very cool touch on the mounting bracket:

The mounting brackets are painted prototypes, so I'm sure the final powdercoated versions will be awesome! Plus, it looks like you could flop over a set of soft bags and tie them to the mounting brackets pretty easily.

I don't know the what the going production price will be for the bags and brackets, but I believe Al Jesse said he would be ready for orders in early June. http://www.jesseluggage.com/

Oh, and he's also going to be making a top plate system for the rear rack, and probably a couple other nifty things for the new Tiger as well!
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 08:47 PM   #5973
soph9
Bike Addict

Oddometer: 2,285
Looking good Lori...congrats!!!!!!!
soph9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:16 PM   #5974
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoriKTM View Post
(Exclusive spy photos!)
For those familiar with the Jesse luggage, you know how well it is made and how slick everything works. 5" adjustment travel (forward/back) to get the weight balanced right where you need it. Plus a bit of tilt adjustment as well. Matching locks. Top loading!

I don't know the what the going production price will be for the bags and brackets, but I believe Al Jesse said he would be ready for orders in early June. http://www.jesseluggage.com/

Oh, and he's also going to be making a top plate system for the rear rack, and probably a couple other nifty things for the new Tiger as well!
Wow! Congrats to Al Jesse! Those fit the Tiger better than the OEM boxes!
Best I've seen yet for the Tiger.

I'd be interested in the weight of the empty box and the racks. You guys are lucky to live close to the man! His work looks better than ever.
Big Thumps Up!!
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 10:39 PM   #5975
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Now, the Vstroms...
Funny thing is, V-Stroms (and KLRs) return a higher percentage of their initial price at resale than BMWs or Triumphs. High resale value of BMWs is a myth, IMHO. Depreciation is driven by model change and obsolescence and BMW has been among the most aggressive at introducing new technology and revising models frequently.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:05 PM   #5976
4bikes
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 219
Quote:
Originally Posted by itsatdm View Post
It really depends on the throw of the crankshaft. A triple has 2 pistons going up and down, offset with a piston on a different throw.
AFAIK the Triumph has a crank with 120 deg offset.
4bikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #5977
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
Funny thing is, V-Stroms (and KLRs) return a higher percentage of their initial price at resale than BMWs or Triumphs. High resale value of BMWs is a myth, IMHO. Depreciation is driven by model change and obsolescence and BMW has been among the most aggressive at introducing new technology and revising models frequently.

- Mark
my god, don't mention that over the Gspot! I don't really follow BMW used prices much ... I just always assumed re-sale was very good. Triumph I know better and resale for Triumph has not been good. Only the Street Triples have held value well ... at least for now. I've been the happy beneficiary of severe depreciation on Triumphs on several occasions.
Including my 1050 Tiger.

Really surprised to hear BMW's are not as high as most think. A year ago I tried to buy a F800GS and gave up. Too much money. I remember a friend looking for a nice used R1200RT and moaning how expensive even older, high mileage ones were. I said, "how expensive". He said 10 to 12 grand. Then I looked up a new one .... they go for about $20K new out the door, IIRC. That is a big differential.

I must admit all my past BMW's brought really good money when I sold them. But the last one was in the 90's. And 80's before that. My '81 R100RS was totally, 100% clapped out, but looked good! and it had every farkle in the world on it ... I sold for more than I paid. This is the bike I literally pushed across Canada. Had to bump start it every day for 2 weeks! (broken starter motor due to warped fly wheel)

My only other BMW was a 1980 R80GS. This bike I wished I had kept. I sold it too cheap and am sorry I didn't see the potential of it back then. Instead I went into my Japanese Super bike phase. FJR's - Ninja's - Interceptors. Owned them all.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 11:25 PM   #5978
ccrat
Dumb as a box of hair

Oddometer: 931
Another XC ABS has been delivered!

It's a shiny thing and I love it!

ccrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 01:35 AM   #5979
Nevada
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 300
Two observations:

As previously noted, the inline six is the "perfect engine" from a balance/vibration standpoint. That's why the big rig that delivered your Tiger to the dealership has one. 6 cylinders, each roughly the size of that 2 liter of Dr Pepper you've got in the fridge, each contributing up to 200ft/lbs of torque, and engineered to last more than 1,000,000 miles.

Second observation: Triumph resale value varies quite a bit. The 600cc I-4 sportbike and it's variants have done horribly. Bonnevilles (Black, T100, and just "Bonneville") have done very, very good. I don't know about the Bonnie variants.

Bonus observation:

Me WANT Tigger!!!!!!!

sigh.... 2.1 million people in this friggin' valley and we don't have a Triumph dealer anymore. Blasted recession.

Double Bonus: Woooohoooo, century mark, 100 posts!!! Yayyy me!

Nevada screwed with this post 05-26-2011 at 02:03 AM
Nevada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:35 AM   #5980
nhspirit
Just Ride

Oddometer: 101
Just received my monthly subscription of Rider magazine and they just named the Tiger 800/XC MOTY.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #5981
Smellyhound
Happy Wanderer

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevada View Post
Two observations:

As previously noted, the inline six is the "perfect engine" from a balance/vibration standpoint. That's why the big rig that delivered your Tiger to the dealership has one. 6 cylinders, each roughly the size of that 2 liter of Dr Pepper you've got in the fridge, each contributing up to 200ft/lbs of torque, and engineered to last more than 1,000,000 miles.

Second observation: Triumph resale value varies quite a bit. The 600cc I-4 sportbike and it's variants have done horribly. Bonnevilles (Black, T100, and just "Bonneville") have done very, very good. I don't know about the Bonnie variants.

Bonus observation:

Me WANT Tigger!!!!!!!

sigh.... 2.1 million people in this friggin' valley and we don't have a Triumph dealer anymore. Blasted recession.

Double Bonus: Woooohoooo, century mark, 100 posts!!! Yayyy me!
Lets not forget the original Jeeps from WW2.. They ran a straight 4 or straight 6 engine. While not a huge "powerhouse", the ones Ive been exposed to ran and ran and ran.

I had been looking for a used Scrambler or T100 this Spring and last Fall. They were pretty varied in price but I found them to be going for between $6800-$9000. Not bad considering we bought my wifes T100 new for $10,000 OTD with about $700 in farkles added in. The other point I noticed was that there just aren't that many out there used to choose from. This tells me that those who have them love them, and aren't getting rid of them.

I don't really know about BMW resale value but I have observed that there were quite a few available, and the prices asked were pretty ridiculous. There were quite a few that I saw out of Tri Cities / Yakima that were on Craigslist forever. Why would I buy your unknown allegedly "Gently" used POS for a couple thousand below new, when I can go buy new out of the box from the dealer? Many didnt even offer the farkles with the bike, or increased the cost exponentially to include them. I guess there's a sucker born every minute, and those who HAVE to have "THAT" bike will have it at all costs. So they convince themselves theyre getting a good deal. Not that all used bikes are a bad deal, just that it seems when reading some of the ads, that they are trying too hard to convince me it's a great deal. I would rather spend a little extra and be assured I am getting something reliable. There's a red Scrambler in the PDX area... I think its STILL for sale. makes ya wonder.

The K series bikes were plentiful and fairly cheap... not sure what was up with that.. nobody likes touring BMWs anymore?
-Peterman-
Smellyhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:16 AM   #5982
ZZ4Blazer
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 261
So who, after owning now, doesnt like their tiger? Been trying to keep on eye on this thread but been working a lot.

Ive been in love with them since they came out. Exactly the type of bike Ive been looking for. (something I can camp off of, run the back and dirt roads with, hop on the highway and roll with the cruisers all day) I like the v strom, but cant get past the styling of it(ugly to me)

Will this bike suit my needs? Im gonna try and find a demo day so I can ride one sometime soon.
ZZ4Blazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #5983
TwoWheelExplorer
Livin' the dream

Oddometer: 291
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smellyhound View Post

The K series bikes were plentiful and fairly cheap... not sure what was up with that.. nobody likes touring BMWs anymore?
I think part of what happens with the big K's is that, since maintenance is complex and expensive, folks who want the K bikes also tend to have the money for a new one, so used bike prices drop a bit as a result.

It could also be that since BMW's legendary reliability has been flagging lately, consumer confidence in higher mileage used bikes isn't that great. I know I've factored in the risk and cost of replacing final drives when shopping BMW R-GS's in the past.

'08 FJR1300A, '93 Ducati 900SL | iShootYouLive(My Photos) | $5 Smugmug Coupon
"The world is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page." - St Augustine
TwoWheelExplorer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:43 AM   #5984
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,525
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZZ4Blazer View Post
[...] Exactly the type of bike Ive been looking for. (something I can camp off of, run the back and dirt roads with, hop on the highway and roll with the cruisers all day) I like the v strom, but cant get past the styling of it(ugly to me)

Will this bike suit my needs? Im gonna try and find a demo day so I can ride one sometime soon.
Hey ZZ4Blazer,
Your explanation is also my explanation for getting this bike. I've actually ordered mine already. I'm patiently waiting.
Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 11:45 AM   #5985
wanderlost
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 171
re lowering exhaust

Quote:
Originally Posted by kstall20 View Post
Paul thanks for the Info!
Question for lowering the exhaust... how will this effect your off road clearance? Would you do this yourself?
I don't know the specifics but as I picture this mod, it would bend the pipe enough to let the exhaust can sit below any luggage. (Maybe slightly higher than this picture)/Users/paul/Desktop/Picture 8.png

I would take the bike to a shop and have them cut/bend or shape the exhaust and fabricate a different hanger bracket location.

Right now I ma leaning toward the remus carbon exhaust just for simplicity, but if I had more shop skills would do the relocation.

Paul
wanderlost is offline   Reply With Quote