User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 09:41 PM   #1
bodhisattva65 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Close Call

So long story short: was at the dealership for another issue (people were painting our building and got over spray on my bike when the wind caught it) anyway, while I was there getting an estimate on parts, I told them to go ahead and change the oil.

Oil change done, got on bike and headed back home down I35, Saturday, traffic running about 70/80 im in the middle lane and they are passing me. when all of a sudden i look in the mirror and a huge plum of white smoke trailing out the back, at the same time tach surges to about 12 grand, and bike snaps sideways, i grab clutch and hit kill switch. and get it to the side of the road.

Call dealer and tell them i think the oil filter failed, they come and pick me up and get me back the dealership, GET THIS THEY DID NOT TIGHTEN THE DRAIN PLUG ALL THE WAY JUST RAN IT UP AND FORGOT TO TIGHTEN IT!!!! IT FELL OUT!!!

Luck, not panicing and 30+ years of experience saved me.

bodhisattva65 screwed with this post 05-28-2011 at 04:21 AM
bodhisattva65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
Wolfgang55
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,287
NO don't delete it.
Wolfgang55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #3
Bald Kirk
Dances with Dirt Bikes

Oddometer: 738
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodhisattva65 View Post
So long story short: was at the dealership for another issue (people were painting our building and got over spray on my bike when the wind caught it) anyway, while I was there getting an estimate on parts, I told them to go ahead and change the oil.

Oil change done, got on bike and headed back home down I35, Saturday, traffic running about 70/80 im in the middle lane and they are passing me. when all of a sudden i look in the mirror and a huge plum of white smoke trailing out the back, at the same time tach surges to about 12 grand, and bike snaps sideways, i grab clutch and hit kill switch. and get it to the side of the road.

Call dealer and tell them i think the oil filter failed, they come and pick me up and get me back the dealership, GET THIS THEY DID NOT TIGHTEN THE DRAIN PLUG ALL THE WAY JUST RAN IT UP AND FORGOT TO TIGHTEN IT!!!! IT FELL OUT!!!

Luck, not panicing and 30+ years of experience saved me.

Glad to hear you are ok and that your 30+ years of experience saved you but you should have known better than to post that last picture showing as the potential offending dealer.

You should delete the last picture in your post as it serves no purpose except to start trouble

Baldness

Edited, Sorry removed pictures and link.
Baldness

Bald Kirk screwed with this post 05-28-2011 at 11:58 AM
Bald Kirk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:55 PM   #4
ozmikl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 347
Mate
how you ever stayed upright with that much oil on your tyre I will never know, you are one lucky guy........good reflexes or not.
Glad to hear your ok and good luck with the offender.
Michael

Ducati ST2 Dual Sport Build http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...6#post14187216

Do dyslexic agnostic insomniacs sit up all night contemplating if there really is a Dog?
ozmikl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:04 AM   #5
bodhisattva65 OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 435
Ooop! Disclamer its NOT "woods cycle" who made the mistake
bodhisattva65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:35 AM   #6
Bueller
Cashin?

Oddometer: 17,057
Pretty gnarly situation. Glad you are ok.

It really sucks, but people make mistakes. It's what they do to try to right the wrong that matters.

"bueller, you ARE an island of reason in a sea of bullshit" - quasigentrified
Bueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:47 AM   #7
DynaSport
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 448
Wow, I'm amazed you didn't go down. Good on you. Good luck getting this mess straightened out. I actually had a very similar situation happen to a friend of mine in her car. She had service done at a dealership, then got on the road for a short trip. Forty or fifty miles into the trip her oil pressure light comes on and she discovers oil all over the back of her car. She has her car towed into a (different but closer to where she was) dealership and they discover the oil filter had come loose.

Long story short, the original dealer wanted to give her a coupon for a free oil change and say no damage was done to her car. Being an attorney, she fought it and argued that without looking inside the engine there was no way to know how much, if any, damage was done. She kept at it and ended up with a new engine paid for by the original dealer. They did the right thing, but I bet only because they figured that being a lawyer, she would sue until they did the right thing.
DynaSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:15 AM   #8
duck
Banned

Oddometer: 10,404
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bueller View Post
Pretty gnarly situation. Glad you are ok.

It really sucks, but people make mistakes. It's what they do to try to right the wrong that matters.
Take another look at that back tire covered in oil. How would they "right the wrong" if the rider had been permanently disabled or killed?

Sure, people make mistakes, but something like this is inexcusable in my book.
duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:25 AM   #9
DanVFR
Continent Crusher

Oddometer: 140
Wow, that is alot of oil. Glad you didn't come off, lets hope the dealer does the right thing when fixing this issue.
DanVFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:20 AM   #10
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,796
Holy crap that rear tire looks lubed up!

Glad you are OK -- that is scary stuff. Reason #46758 why I do my own oil changes...

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 06:53 AM   #11
dannyz
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bald Kirk View Post
Glad to hear you are ok and that your 30+ years of experience saved you but you should have known better than to post that last picture showing " www.woodscyclecountry.com " as the potential offending dealer.

You should delete the last picture in your post as it serves no purpose except to start trouble

Baldness

So, how is your post helping, now that the OP removed that www address from his picture? You even made it easier to follow by adding a link...
dannyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:12 AM   #12
Harry Backer
Ran when parked!

Oddometer: 373
Glad your OK Shit happens. Freind of mine took his truck in for an oil change. The guy in back forgot to put oil back in his truck. well you know what happend next. The bay in back smelled of pine if you know what I mean.
Harry Backer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:27 AM   #13
El Guero
V4 Whore

Oddometer: 9,725
Yowch! Glad you are alright. Is that damage I see on the swingarm? I had a buddy who bought a bike with damage on the swingarm, it was enough to total the bike...

El Guero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 07:39 AM   #14
ULY-RPG
cool hands adv

Oddometer: 294
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Backer View Post
The bay in back smelled of pine if you know what I mean.
Smelled of pine? I am a little slow and don't get it,sorry.

Wow that's a lot more external lubrication than nessicary! Kudos for not going down,that had to be like ice under your back tire.

Have worked in the auto industry for long enough to see some pretty stupid things happen.
ULY-RPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:01 AM   #15
Harry Backer
Ran when parked!

Oddometer: 373
Quote:
Originally Posted by ULY-RPG View Post
Smelled of pine? I am a little slow and don't get it,sorry.
Weed
Harry Backer is offline   Reply With Quote