Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-18-2011, 09:21 AM   #31
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Oddometer: 6,562
Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Your looking into a bigger scooter though? I mean if bikes are cheaper than big scooters over there, then maybe a bike that meets your needs better? Or find a good deal on a used scoot. I personally love scooters, but if a bike costs less and makes more sense, I won't have much of a choice.
No, bike's are as expensive as scooters generally, but the burgman (and
majesty/silverwing) is a special case for some reason, they're hugely overpriced.

All Jap bikes (and scoots) went up in prices in the last 2 years by a lot.. only
Kawasaki remained about the same.

I really enjoy riding my ER6F, but other then it being fun, it's not checking
any of the other important boxes (cheap to run, practicality/storage, 2up
comfort, wind protection, no-gears smoothness for around town etc) and
I can only afford to keep one bike, and even that is streching it a bit if
it's anything over 250cc.

I should just probably get the Downtown 300 and be done with it, but I've gotta
sell my Kwak and my car first, and no one even called in 2 months that they've
been in online ads!

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
My Flickr gallery --- My 500px gallery
Cortez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 10:51 AM   #32
gumshoe4
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 819
When I was thinking about getting a freeway-capable automatic motorcycle (I hate the term scooter to describe such bikes), I looked at a really nice new Scarabeo 500 at a local dealer who handles Aprilia, Kaw, Suzuki and Ducati. The machine is very handsome and well-built, IMHO, but the sales guy, who is a personal friend of mine, mentioned that parts availability was often problematic. I ended up with a used Silverwing, which has been an excellent machine capable of local and touring expeditions, but I must admit that I still like the Scarabeo. It's still there.....
gumshoe4 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 12:07 PM   #33
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumshoe4 View Post
When I was thinking about getting a freeway-capable automatic motorcycle (I hate the term scooter to describe such bikes), I looked at a really nice new Scarabeo 500 at a local dealer who handles Aprilia, Kaw, Suzuki and Ducati. The machine is very handsome and well-built, IMHO, but the sales guy, who is a personal friend of mine, mentioned that parts availability was often problematic. I ended up with a used Silverwing, which has been an excellent machine capable of local and touring expeditions, but I must admit that I still like the Scarabeo. It's still there.....
No parts problems here (never was one) since Italy is right next door..

SOLD: '03 Peugeot Speedfight2, '07 Kawasaki ER6F ABS, '06 Kymco Agility 125, '12 Kymco Downtown 300i ABS
Old 02-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #34
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
No, bike's are as expensive as scooters generally, but the burgman (and
majesty/silverwing) is a special case for some reason, they're hugely overpriced.

All Jap bikes (and scoots) went up in prices in the last 2 years by a lot.. only
Kawasaki remained about the same.

I really enjoy riding my ER6F, but other then it being fun, it's not checking
any of the other important boxes (cheap to run, practicality/storage, 2up
comfort, wind protection, no-gears smoothness for around town etc) and
I can only afford to keep one bike, and even that is streching it a bit if
it's anything over 250cc.

I should just probably get the Downtown 300 and be done with it, but I've gotta
sell my Kwak and my car first, and no one even called in 2 months that they've
been in online ads!
Yea, I think a Downtown 300 will work well for you. If its a decent price, then I'd say go for it! I sure like the new 300!

Also is a SYM an option over there? The RV 250 is cheaper here, but it is a serious 250 scooter. It has the performance of almost a 400, acceleration is about the same, and top speed is close at 91 MPH as SYM claims.

But if its not, the Downtown is a fantastic scooter, everyone wants one! Or any of the other scoots available.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 05:32 AM   #35
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by btcn View Post
Yea, I think a Downtown 300 will work well for you. If its a decent price, then I'd say go for it! I sure like the new 300!

Also is a SYM an option over there? The RV 250 is cheaper here, but it is a serious 250 scooter. It has the performance of almost a 400, acceleration is about the same, and top speed is close at 91 MPH as SYM claims.

But if its not, the Downtown is a fantastic scooter, everyone wants one! Or any of the other scoots available.
Sym is available at my Kymco dealership, but I don't see a model that would
fit me better then the Downtown, and I seriously doubt the RV's 23,4hp
engine would do 90mph Being a 250,6cc engine puts it in the same
tax/insurance category with the Downtown here, there's no ABS option available
etc.. anyways, I'm sure it's a great scoot but I like the Downtown better.

EDIT: Just checked, we also get the EVO version of that Sym scoot with 300cc and upgraded
stuff.. and it came in 6th out of 7 scooters in a group test in a local mag, behind the xciting 300
(5th). The Downtown won that review in every single part of the test.

Cortez screwed with this post 02-19-2011 at 05:43 AM
Old 02-19-2011, 06:17 PM   #36
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortez View Post
Sym is available at my Kymco dealership, but I don't see a model that would
fit me better then the Downtown, and I seriously doubt the RV's 23,4hp
engine would do 90mph Being a 250,6cc engine puts it in the same
tax/insurance category with the Downtown here, there's no ABS option available
etc.. anyways, I'm sure it's a great scoot but I like the Downtown better.

EDIT: Just checked, we also get the EVO version of that Sym scoot with 300cc and upgraded
stuff.. and it came in 6th out of 7 scooters in a group test in a local mag, behind the xciting 300
(5th). The Downtown won that review in every single part of the test.

I don't know, I do here the RV can do 90 MPH. But then again, the only thing to consider is that it very likely has a very optimistic speedo, so maybe its more like 80-85 MPH, which is about the same as the Reflex 250.

But yea, the Downtown is probably a better overall scoot.
btcn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 09:54 AM   #37
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by UP N MTNS View Post
I've only owned the Aprilia Scarabeo 500IE a few days but I can tell you its a great ride, it will out pull most cars from a stop and will climb right up to 80-90mph if you keep on it..

Most owners say it will top 100mph!! I was two up on the freeway doing 85mph (keeping up with traffic) and it still had plenty to give for passing. She rode stable and I was confident and comfortable at those speeds. The large wheel size is the key to this, I've had small wheeled scoots 8"/10" and going over 50mph can get twitchy

I'm in love with this scoot, its acts/rides like a motorcycle..
SCOOTERCYCLE!!!

Go test ride one and you'll see... It's all good.
Hi I bumping up this thread to see how life is with your Beo 500ie? I just bought a new 09 a few weeks ago and other than the vibration I get in the hand grips I really like it.

2013 Vespa GTS 300ie Super
Bugtussle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 10:48 AM   #38
Quigg
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Aprilia Scarabeo 500 IE

I owned one of these for a year. I used it for daily commuting on a mix of freeway, expressway, and city streets. I did a couple of long trips and a couple of two-up rides. Here are my observations:

1. If you want a freeway commuter, it is excellent. Plenty of power, good mileage, excellent storage (I'd add a top box, though). IT will out-accelerate most of the traffic and can hang out in the commuter lane, no problem. The automatic transmission is great in rush hour traffic, but the stock windscreen is terrible. I had that tall screen shown, made by Givi. It protects you, but is so tall you have to look through it. Also, your legs are somewhat protected by the leg shield, unlike on a motorcycle. Nice in the winter. But a Vespa 250 protects you better.

2. In town, it's easier than a motorcycle due to the automatic transmission, but not as easy as s smaller scooter or motorcycle (say, a 250) due to the extra weight. If your commute is only on city streets, it's more than you need.

3. If you want to ride the twisties, it is not ideal. It handles fine. The problem is the automatic transmission. It lags and bit and doesn't let you accelerate quicly out of a corner. Frustrating if your riding partner is on a motorcycle!

So, it doesn't do everything well. It is a decent scooter (once you fix the fuel clamp issue mentioned above) if you don't need something sporty. I ended up selling mine because my Vespa 250 is a better in-town vehicle, and buying a used Suzuki 650 V-Strom for longer trips and mountain riding.
Quigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:02 PM   #39
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
No problems on twisties with my Beo. Better than many of the bikes I ride with, worse than others.

As for the vibration in the handlebars, I don't have it but I have heavier bar ends due to my Givi trunk. You may want to try some.
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 05:12 PM   #40
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
No problems on twisties with my Beo. Better than many of the bikes I ride with, worse than others.

As for the vibration in the handlebars, I don't have it but I have heavier bar ends due to my Givi trunk. You may want to try some.
Im currently trying to find some. A guy on another forum stated the his weigh 2.75 lbs each. I find that a little hard to believe unless they are made out of lead. Would mind telling me how long yours are? That will help me in my search. I have installed a GIVI box.

Old 05-30-2011, 01:35 PM   #41
cdwise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 773
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugtussle View Post
Im currently trying to find some. A guy on another forum stated the his weigh 2.75 lbs each. I find that a little hard to believe unless they are made out of lead. Would mind telling me how long yours are? That will help me in my search. I have installed a GIVI box.
2 1/8" which is about 3/4" longer than the stock ones on our BV 500 (soon to be replaced.)
cdwise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 12:22 AM   #42
Bugtussle
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdwise View Post
2 1/8" which is about 3/4" longer than the stock ones on our BV 500 (soon to be replaced.)
Thanks for the info, that will help in my search.

Old 05-31-2011, 06:03 AM   #43
Sly-one
Deskbound Adventurer

Oddometer: 271
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quigg View Post
I owned one of these for a year. I used it for daily commuting on a mix of freeway, expressway, and city streets. I did a couple of long trips and a couple of two-up rides. Here are my observations:

1. If you want a freeway commuter, it is excellent.
2. In town, it's easier than a motorcycle due to the automatic transmission, but not as easy as s smaller scooter or motorcycle (say, a 250) due to the extra weight. If your commute is only on city streets, it's more than you need.
3. If you want to ride the twisties, it is not ideal. It handles fine. The problem is the automatic transmission.
So, it doesn't do everything well. It is a decent scooter (once you fix the fuel clamp issue mentioned above) if you don't need something sporty. I ended up selling mine because my Vespa 250 is a better in-town vehicle, and buying a used Suzuki 650 V-Strom for longer trips and mountain riding.
Which model did you have, the 500i or 500GT? That's the first time I've heard of any lag being a problem on these.
Sly-one is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 08:03 PM   #44
AlexE
Adventurer

Oddometer: 12
Scarabeo 500 2008 dashboard gone cracy

fuel level senson fluctuates, speedometer fluctuates as well, what could be wrong, no MIL light present.
AlexE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2012, 12:48 AM   #45
Cortez
BAZINGA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexE View Post
fuel level senson fluctuates, speedometer fluctuates as well, what could be wrong, no MIL light present.
I've seen dashboards go out across Aprilia/Piaggio stuff, usually after a
nice rain.