Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-27-2011, 02:38 PM   #1561
neduro OP
Addict

Oddometer: 11,781
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chowdown View Post
wow, they have single track at the Antartic? who knew?
That's why he wanted AWD!

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
neduro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #1562
neduro OP
Addict

The Neduro XC4 buyers guide...

I've been lucky to have all the years of 530, right on through my current 2011, so I thought it would be interesting to add a post that compares them, for people trying to decide what to buy (new current vs. leftover vs. used).

Executive summary: Buy the most recent one you can. 2009 is a big improvement over 2008, the subsequent years are each a little better than before but not nearly as big a jump as 08/09.

First, RFS (2007 and previous) vs. XC4 (2008 and later singlecam). IMO, the new chassis is just plain better- it handles better, it is more comfortable, and it seems to be at least as durable. Some folks like the RFS motor for durability and low end torque, but I'm not really one of them. The RFS can be built in more ways with a variety of bore/ stroke combinations, but at the end of the day, the head is far inferior, the valves seem to be much shorter lived, and it is nowhere near as nice a motor to try to race. So, better chassis, better motor = clear advantage to the XC4 bikes.

Between the XC4 models, I got a dealer to run a comparison on part numbers for me- you can see the results in this gallery. Rather than picking it apart bit by bit, which is time that could be better used poking your eye out with a stick, the point is that there are many more changes from 2008 to 2009, than there are from 2009 to 2010 or 2010 to 2011.

IMO, this means you should get the most recent one you can afford, and maybe even avoid a 2008 unless someone is giving it away. The 2009 and more recent are more reliable, and more durable, and better performing than the 2008.

The new suspension (gold colored fork tubes) that came in 2009 is, in my opinion, light years better than anything before. It's really really good right out of the box, with only the potential addition of springs to suit your weight and use necessary. 2009 is great, 2010 is slightly more polished, 2011 is even slightly better than that. Put another way, If 2011 is a 10 on a scale of 10, 2010 is a 9.5, 2009 is a 9, and 2008 is about a 6.

The new frame that came in 2010 is not very different. In riding my 2009 and 2011 back to back, side by side, there just isn't that much between them. I would not let this make my purchasing decision.

A few other notes:
- The bikes seem to have very good valve finish- I have changed one shim in 7-800 hours of use. A friend has nearly 300 hours on his 2009, valves remain in spec. I have never seen an RFS that accomplished this.
- The biggest complaint is oil burning. It can be worn rings, it can be a bad valve guide seal, and I've heard of but never witnessed a bad seal in the cases between the engine and transmission. Because the sight glass is not a perfectly reliable way to see oil capacity (who knows why!) the best method is to measure what you put in and what you get out to know where you stand.
- The EXC bikes need to be rejetted/ uncorked to be practical for use. They simply aren't a realistic option as delivered, in terms of exhaust, jetting, and gearing.
- The EXC bikes have just as much potential as the XCWs. No dumbed down cam or carb... so if you are making a proper off-road bike with a plate, you can either buy an XCW and add to it, or an EXC and strip off. The latter is probably cheaper and has the added benefit that the DMV can't argue with your plate.

Engine size:

I've also had or ridden extensively all the displacements- 400, 450, 530- so I thought that'd would be worth commenting on too. All share the same chassis, and the same 95mm bore. The only difference is stroke- from 55.5mm on the 400, to 72mm on the 530.

The 400 is a sweetheart- smooth, linear, stronger than a 250 with useable torque down low, but nowhere near the surge of the 530. This is a great trailbike, but not as good a do-anything bike because you'll want lower gearing on it, which means it's singing at highway speeds. Mine has 13/52 and that feels about right. Unless traction is really good, it's just as quick as the bigger bikes, but you rev more to get it.

It feels light and manageable, and the delivery is so smooth that you save energy and drama on the trail. I like to say this bike makes me feel 10 feet tall and bulletproof, because it's just not as scary as the 530.

The 450 is stronger than the 400, smoother than the 530. I've spent the least time on this one, but anything I say will sound repetitive- it's smooth, it's strong, and it's comfortable. The 450 is clearly revvier than the 530, so if you like to keep your bike singing, this would be my choice. There is not that much between this bike and the 530, honestly, and if I found a great deal on one but not the other, I wouldn't hesitate to take it.

As you would expect with the longest stroke, the 530 is the gruntiest and strongest of the bunch. I don't shift much on singletrack- 2nd and 3rd gear are good for just about all speeds between 5 and 40mph, which is 90% of where I ride. 14/50 means that 70mph is a reasonable cruise speed, while 1st remains low enough for even very technical terrain at high elevation.

If you hold the 530 open for a 10 count, in any gear in any terrain, you will count 8-9-10 faster than you counted 1-2-3. It's really strong. If I could only own one motorcycle, this would be it, and I'd have no regrets about it.

Dual Sport Riding Techniques DVDs: Clear instructional DVDs to improve off-road skills.
Old 05-27-2011, 03:44 PM   #1563
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,318
Good write up Ned. I have been worried about longevity for some reason, being as how my beast has 10 whole hours on it, I guess it has another 790 in it....

I did the XC-W and added to it. Being a 2010 6 Days, I didn't add much, just a rear brake light switch and tag so far. I think in IL you can tag any KTM.

Between a broken hand, a long winter, and biblical rains I have not been riding.

KTM-Parts.com is having their annual Memorial Day sale, 20% if you sign up on their site. Time to by my big tank I guess.

"If I could only own one motorcycle, this would be it, and I'd have no regrets about it."

That is a pretty good endorsement I would say.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 08:26 PM   #1564
bigborefan
Making new friends

I think I know where my longevity fears come from, KTMTalk. If you only ever visited that site, you would never buy a KTM.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
Old 05-27-2011, 08:38 PM   #1565
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmzilla View Post
Assembled, broke in at 3+ hours, valves checked and set wide, setup bugs mostly out, about ready for the trail IF IT EVER STOPS FLOODING AND SNOWING here!
What is the capacity of the tank now?
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 11:15 PM   #1566
malcolmzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bora20 View Post
What is the capacity of the tank now?
Christini custom tank is 3.2 gallons (US), stock is 2.4? It has a bit wider profile, but the seat remains in stock position, easy to get forward still.
malcolmzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 12:14 AM   #1567
Bora20
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 849
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcolmzilla View Post
Christini custom tank is 3.2 gallons (US), stock is 2.4? It has a bit wider profile, but the seat remains in stock position, easy to get forward still.
Nice, just a bit smaller than my Clockworks. I would love to have the conversion on my bike. Maybe one day...
Bora20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:42 AM   #1568
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 244
'08 vx '09 suspension

Ned----what, if anything, can be done to convert the '08 forks to '09 spec? Is it a matter of changing internal parts on the forks or----? If not--is there anything that a backyard mechanic can do himself to improve the '08 suspension?
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:46 AM   #1569
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
Ned----what, if anything, can be done to convert the '08 forks to '09 spec? Is it a matter of changing internal parts on the forks or----? If not--is there anything that a backyard mechanic can do himself to improve the '08 suspension?
I'm not sure.

The coatings and wall thicknesses in the fork are different in the 2009 (and again later, but that was the big one) and I'm not sure to what degree these changes are what you feel as you ride.

Certainly, you could go to the 2009 shim stacks and see whether it's an improvement...

Old 05-28-2011, 01:15 PM   #1570
DaveInSt.Augustine
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 142
Great review

Thank you for the write up Ned. I just sold my 690 and am getting the 400 or 450. Has the 400 xcw been discontinued, I don't see it on KTM website for 2011. I see in Europe they make the 350EXC street legal, maybe for 2012 we will get the 350?
DaveInSt.Augustine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 04:07 PM   #1571
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 776
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigborefan View Post
I think I know where my longevity fears come from, KTMTalk. If you only ever visited that site, you would never buy a KTM.
I would never have bought a 530 if that site did not exist.

I would never buy another KTM if they closed it down.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2011, 08:38 PM   #1572
Bungholio
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 525
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
The new suspension (gold colored fork tubes) that came in 2009 is, in my opinion, light years better than anything before.
Gold colored fork tubes? I have a 2009 and the fork tubes are silver. How gold are they?
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 08:47 AM   #1573
neduro OP
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungholio View Post
Gold colored fork tubes? I have a 2009 and the fork tubes are silver. How gold are they?
Gold, Silver, it's all good. Not black.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave_t08
I just sold my 690 and am getting the 400 or 450. Has the 400 xcw been discontinued, I don't see it on KTM website for 2011. I see in Europe they make the 350EXC street legal, maybe for 2012 we will get the 350?
I think they did stop making the 400, but there are still some left around on dealers floors. Do some calling and you'll be able to get an 09 for cheap, and no reason not to.

FWIW, I waited to ride the 350 before I bought my 400. IMO, the 350 is an excellent WORCS/ GNCC/ Hare Scrambles bike. The motor is strong but cammy and high strung. The suspension is awesome for charging, not what I care for in a wide-band trail bike that I want to use for everything. When I find myself in whoops, I usually look for something to explore.

Can't claim to know everything about the Euro model, but they pretty much have to be street legal to be sold over there, so I would guess there's little difference to our 350 XCF.

Old 05-29-2011, 10:50 AM   #1574
Sparrowhawk
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I've been lucky to have all the years of 530, right on through my current 2011, so I thought it would be interesting to add a post that compares them, for people trying to decide what to buy (new current vs. leftover vs. used). ....
Nice write-up. Threads like this one take on a life of their own and become the information go-to point for those looking to buy. You might consider throwing in a link to this summary somewhere on the first page so folks don't miss it buried on page 105.
Sparrowhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 11:38 AM   #1575
bigborefan
Making new friends

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
I would never have bought a 530 if that site did not exist.

I would never buy another KTM if they closed it down.
I'm not dissing the site. There is a lot of good info over there for sure. My point was some guys just harp on the negatives. They go on and on about the separate oil chambers in the 530. They make it sound like the bike won't do 5 hours.

I remember one guy with a 300. He complained daily about jetting and the bike boiling over. My 300 was flawless.

Same thing with my 690 also, ADVrider included. If you follow the 690 mega thread, the 690 sounds like junk. Mine has been pretty much flawless.

Ned is a good example for all of us. He buys the bikes, rides em a lot and lets us know what works. Big thanks to Ned.