Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-29-2011, 10:59 AM   #1
Scheidty OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 11
Question CB350 Cylinder Head Removal

Hey guys.

I've been attempting to replace a leaking cylinder head gasket (or points cover gasket, can't tell which one) on my 72 CB350. I have a couple online shop manuals and a clymer. I have a few questions about the process as I'm having trouble understanding some of the steps. I will be posting pics of the process as I go along as well. Any help is appreciated!

The one manual states to " Align the stator index mark to the "LT" on the A.C. Generator rotor (top dead centre of the exhaust stroke) to approximately 10 degrees ATDC and then remove the sprocket alignment bolt, followed by turning the rotor to align with a point approximately 10 degrees ATDC of the compression stroke and then remove the remaining sprocket setting bolt."

Does this just mean that I align the LT to the index mark, which should be the top dead centre of the exhaust stroke. Then move the rotor to 10 degrees ATDC? How do I know where ATDC is?

The Clymer states " Place a wrench on the alternator rotor bolt and rotate the engine until you have room to work on one of the camshaft sprocket retaining bolts. Remove that bolt, then rotate the engine until you can reach the remaining bolt and remove it. With the L mark on the cam sprocket facing upward, pull out the camshaft from the right side"

Is the process basically the same as the one in the shop manual? Which one is the better process? Thanks!

And also, should I be using gasket cement or any other adhesive when installing the new gaskets? Thanks again!

Here's a link to photobucket and some photos. I'll try to figure out how to post them on here though.

http://s1181.photobucket.com/albums/x436/scheidty/

Scheidty screwed with this post 05-29-2011 at 11:36 AM
Scheidty is offline   Reply With Quote