Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #196
Lopoetve
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by sjsred323i View Post
I demo'd a street triple over the weekend at the local Triumph dealer. I thought that because I am a big guy (6-0 / 200lb) that it would not be comfortable. I was wrong. I really like the light weight of the bike. It was easy to flick around. It reminded me of my old memories of the RD400 I had in my youth.

I thought a Tiger 800 or a Bonny would be the way to go, but the steet triple was really fun.

I can see an S3 in my future provided I could ride it for longer than 20 minutes to see how my knees feel.
6'2, 280 here, 34" inseam, and the S3 gets a bit stiff in the knees after 150 miles or so in a day. But, they make adjustable pegs (I'm getting them - move them down one notch just to give me a bit more stretch room for longer trips).
There's a real simple test for "does my bike have soul": when you're on it do you feel like Sigurd hitting mach III on Fafnir's back while you decapitate pedestrians with Gram and plunge into a spinning color vortex of lust-hate-fear-madness as you leap the Himalayas? If so, you have found your mount. If not... the quest may be long, indeed. Embrace the inevitable - Scrannel
Lopoetve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 07:34 AM   #197
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by bingbong View Post
I notice it says "not for the R version" sounds like you made it work though. how did you do it? and what's the diferrence between the versions.
The screen looks good.
I had to slightly bend the brake fluid reservoir forward. Then I put a couple of rubber spacers between the bolt and the bracket on the upper bolt holes. This angled the screen forward enough that nothing interferes with full lock (very much ).

See the spacers below. They are really just rubber plugs that I shortened and drilled a hole in for the bolt to pass through. I had to get longer bolts for this all to work.

The biggest upside is that the forward lean of the screen is something I had wanted to try anyway so that I could direct the wind up and over my helmet a little better. Turns out it works great and I'm really happy with the setup. I'm sure Dart wouldn't want to warranty the screen since I have made revisions to its fitting, but that's a risk I am willing to live with.

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 08:02 AM   #198
bingbong
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 770
Thumb

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog View Post
I had to slightly bend the brake fluid reservoir forward. Then I put a couple of rubber spacers between the bolt and the bracket on the upper bolt holes. This angled the screen forward enough that nothing interferes with full lock (very much ).

See the spacers below. They are really just rubber plugs that I shortened and drilled a hole in for the bolt to pass through. I had to get longer bolts for this all to work.

The biggest upside is that the forward lean of the screen is something I had wanted to try anyway so that I could direct the wind up and over my helmet a little better. Turns out it works great and I'm really happy with the setup. I'm sure Dart wouldn't want to warranty the screen since I have made revisions to its fitting, but that's a risk I am willing to live with.
Solid work there, and thanks for the info. It's really nice when you adapt stuff and it works out good isn't.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:19 AM   #199
mcteague
Adventurer

Oddometer: 62
I just bought a 2011 Street Triple last weekend. The R model was sold out everywhere and the 2012s, with the new ugly headlights, were due by Fall. As I weigh 160lbs and won't put it on the track I figured I could get by with the standard model. Plus I got it for about $600 off list. As the R is $700 more I saved $1300 overall which can be used for upgrades.

It is the most fun motorcycle I have ever ridden. So light, torquey and maneuverable. The gearbox is much smoother than my FZ6 and, as a naked, there is no noisy buffeting off the windscreen as there was with the Yamaha. The suspension is firm but well controlled. The brakes seem more than up to the task. I'm sure the R is better but, for my riding, I think the right choice was made.

The exhaust note is really nice and much louder than expected, not too crazy about that as I hate loud bikes. The Street does just what I want a bike to do; it makes all rides a blast. The power curve and super light handling make even slow rides a blast. It will be fun to see what it can do once broken in!

Tim
Attached Images

mcteague is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:50 AM   #200
mcteague
Adventurer

Another photo from my first ride, not counting the one home from the dealer.

Tim
Attached Images

Old 05-26-2011, 04:02 PM   #201
Jccc
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,844
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcteague View Post
Another photo from my first ride, not counting the one home from the dealer.

Tim

Absolutely stunning! I love that bike in black! Congrats and enjoy!

HV Tag-o-Rama Grab Map
Jccc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 05:17 PM   #202
sands
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 322
Nice looking bike...I had a chance to ride one at their demo events..The engine noise (not the exhaust note) has a really cool sound...Really light feeling, brakes are very strong, and for a 675cc it pulls really well from all rpm...Fuel injection is exceptional, and shifting was very good...No cluncking or anything...
sands is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:43 PM   #203
queenpdog OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Congrats on your new ride. Black is sexy but graphite is faster .
I can't imagine calling the Streety a loud bike. I love her hum. I think it might grow on you. Earplugs maybe?

'12 Tiger 800XC
'01 TW200
So long Street Triple R, Scrambler, R1150R, F650GS, R100RS....I've loved you all.
queenpdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:44 AM   #204
scootertrog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
Sound is orgasmic, but do wear some ear plugs!
scootertrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2011, 09:52 AM   #205
mcteague
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by queenpdog View Post
Congrats on your new ride. Black is sexy but graphite is faster .
I can't imagine calling the Streety a loud bike. I love her hum. I think it might grow on you. Earplugs maybe?
Don't get me wrong, I love the sound. I was just surprised that it was so much louder than my Yamaha FZ6. Of course the sound of that bike was a bit overwhelmed by the horrible buffeting noise from the windscreen.

I wear custom ear plugs all the time!

Tim
Old 05-27-2011, 03:22 PM   #206
VixObs
Adventurer

Oddometer: 93
Rode to Ojai

I took a nice ride up to Ojai yesterday. 410 round-trip warm-up for my summer riding.
Attached Images

VixObs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 06:23 AM   #207
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mc View Post
Finally got notice that my Hepco Becker C-Bow Luggage brackets came in from Europe and are now on their way to me

Hope to have some installed pics to post by end of week
OK - I've been SUPER BUSY @ work, so I haven't had the chance to take pics and get them posted up, but did finally take the time yesterday to get them taken...

Misc pics of the brackets for the Hepco Becker C-Bow system on a 2011 Triumph Street Triple R...

And now some with the bags in place....

Did also finally get around to mounting the GPS on yesterday too....

I picked up the H&B C-Bow System from www.sportmotogear.com Service was excellent - Shipping was a little slow, but they did forewarn me that all items were enroute from Europe and that it might take a little while to get them - They did keep me in the loop as to when the container arrived in the US and when it was released from customs, etc, so I feel they did a great job

I had planned a trip in early May that was going to be the maiden voyage for this bike and these bags, but the weather turned to shit, so ended up taking the car instead... Wx is now nice and will soon be leaving to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway in it's entirety.... Will update on performance of the bags after I get back...

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #208
Shep
Vagabond

Oddometer: 502
I will be anxious to hear a review of the bags. I have a "proper" touring bike in a 1200GS, but decided to take the Triple on a 3 day run from Indiana to Asheville this weekend. The older I get, the more I seem to regress toward light weight, sporting bikes. Work had prohibited me from spending much real time on my Triple, so this was a chance to put it to the test. My only disappointment was that the area was so crowded over the holiday weekend that I felt more like I was in a parade than really riding. I'm going to have to make another trip to give the tires a workout.

I've never been one to want to make a bike into something it wasn't intended to be, but I also don't like the idea of limiting a bike's potential either. I was extremely impressed with the Triple's ability to carry me along on Interstate duty when necessary. While I prefer to avoid those type of roads, if you are like me, you often only have a small window to escape and return in, requiring some quick travel to and from the desired destination. The stock seat was quite painful for me after about 200 miles and my bum right knee got a bit cranky, but I had no problem running the 450 miles from Asheville to my house this morning in about 7.5 hours. Just a couple quick shots:

I ended up using Kriega bags ( a 20 and a 10) and an old tankbag.

You can even deliver pizzas on this bike!

I have another Kriega 10 and a tankbag adapter. I bought this bike as a fun, local toy to complement the Beemer, however, I enjoy riding it so much more than the Beemer Pig that I may have to give those saddlebags a serious look.

Shep
Old 05-30-2011, 03:38 PM   #209
rich_mc
Full Fledged MEM-Ber

Oddometer: 2,218
Looks like you had a nice ride Shep...actually quite similar to the destinations I'll have on my upcoming trip....

I looked at the Kriega option, but was concerned about how easy it would be to access my stuff....

Will keep you posted on my thoughts on the bags after I live out of them for a week...

Like you, I've had a lot of bigger bikes and the Street is one of the smallest bikes I've had...I'm hopeful that I will still be as impressed with it once I return....

2011 Connie 1400
rich_mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 05:11 PM   #210
doublen
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
Quote:
Originally Posted by rich_mc View Post
OK - I've been SUPER BUSY @ work, so I haven't had the chance to take pics and get them posted up, but did finally take the time yesterday to get them taken...

Misc pics of the brackets for the Hepco Becker C-Bow system on a 2011 Triumph Street Triple R...

And now some with the bags in place....

Did also finally get around to mounting the GPS on yesterday too....

I picked up the H&B C-Bow System from www.sportmotogear.com Service was excellent - Shipping was a little slow, but they did forewarn me that all items were enroute from Europe and that it might take a little while to get them - They did keep me in the loop as to when the container arrived in the US and when it was released from customs, etc, so I feel they did a great job

I had planned a trip in early May that was going to be the maiden voyage for this bike and these bags, but the weather turned to shit, so ended up taking the car instead... Wx is now nice and will soon be leaving to ride the Blue Ridge Parkway in it's entirety.... Will update on performance of the bags after I get back...
That C-bow system looks great. Looks like it won't work without the stock exhaust though? Am I wrong?
doublen is offline   Reply With Quote