Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-29-2011, 12:05 PM   #1576
guns_equal_freedom
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,305
One of the best things you can do to the EXC (08-09 1/2) is to replace the stock triple clamps with the fixed 22mm offset SX forks.

You get a bit more steering lock and the bike just feels better.

I ride trails and road, no MX.

YMMV.
guns_equal_freedom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2011, 12:58 PM   #1577
FinnDuro
Winter wonderlanding

Oddometer: 371
Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
FWIW, I waited to ride the 350 before I bought my 400.
It'd be real interesting to hear your impressions on the brand new 2012 EXC 500 vs. EXC 530, because of your extensive history on the model range. Expecting to get a ride on 2012 model 500 soon?
Old 05-30-2011, 08:39 AM   #1578
PD-Classic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by neduro View Post
I've been lucky to have all the years of 530, right on through my current 2011, so I thought it would be interesting to add a post that compares them, for people trying to decide what to buy (new current vs. leftover vs. used).
Thanks for the comparison, Neduro. Your first hand experience on these matters is probably unmatched by anyone else here on ADVrider.

I do think your rating of the 08 as a "6" is a little harsh. Of course, since I have an 08 I'm biased. I've owned it since new and once properly setup is a great bike.

In any case, I think the most important thing to keep in mind for potential buyers (regardless of whether you are buying new or used or the year being considered) is that all of these bikes will need to be setup properly in order to run well. They are certainly not "Ready to Race" as delivered from the factory.

The following changes are pretty much essential and easily done:

Desmog
Rejet
Replace or modify stock rear fender (stock will interfere with the rear tire - I run the KTM "Euro" Fender)

Other things I have done which I highly recommend are:

Regear (stock is way too tall at 15/45 - I run 13/52)
Replace or modify stock silencer (stock is very restrictive and creates a lot of heat - I run the KTM Hard Parts FMF silencer)
Radiator fan (I run the KTM Hard Parts fan)
Upgraded stator (I run the KTM Hard Parts stator)
Upgraded waterpump impeller (I run the KTM Hard Parts impeller)
Newer cam (only applies to 2008 models)

I could go on, but the sun is shining and it's time to ride.
Old 05-30-2011, 08:31 PM   #1579
G Goat
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 351
How can you tell a 2010 from a 08/09? Serial number?
G Goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 11:40 PM   #1580
Jon F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 106
Quote:
Originally Posted by G Goat View Post
How can you tell a 2010 from a 08/09? Serial number?
The VIN will have an A in the 10th position for 2010 and a 9 for 2009, 8 for 2008, etc. Example: VBKEXN408AM000000.
Old 05-31-2011, 04:30 AM   #1581
oinky1982
Adventurer

Oddometer: 23
fuse trouble

HI everybody,

My bike burn fuse, I've try to put a 15amp instead of the 10 amp but still burn, usually start doing it after few hours ride, I ve check the wire nad look in good shape.

Also, about the battery, sometime bike get hard to start when it's hot, with e-start, I press the button and engine don't want turn, I hear it trying to but not much power, battery is in good shape.

When I start and stop every 10 minutes, after few hours no more battery, other bike with me ktm 400, don't have any trouble could be possible the 570 kit take to much power from battery to turn the engine ????

what is the best battery possible ??????

any sugestion ????
oinky1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 07:26 AM   #1582
FlyingDutchman
Dirt Biker

Oddometer: 724
Thumb Turntech Battery

I have TurnTech 5 Amp Lithium battery installed.

On the weekend, I had to kick it first thing in the morning and after my first stall. But after that, my bike started flawlessly in muddy single track. The fan was buzzing. The headlight high beam was on often and the the bike still turned over, even in gear.

I have not upgraded the stator yet.

This battery saved a couple pounds over stock.

It seems to be dead or weak shen cold but it gets stronger as it warms up...when it counts...when you are exhausted in the muddy single track.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:33 AM   #1583
NWBoarder
Whitmeister

Oddometer: 1,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by oinky1982 View Post
HI everybody,

My bike burn fuse, I've try to put a 15amp instead of the 10 amp but still burn, usually start doing it after few hours ride, I ve check the wire nad look in good shape.

any sugestion ????
Oinky,
It's not usually a good idea to replace fuses with larger amp rating. You're just asking for trouble. Find the cause: any rub marks on the wiring, cracks in the insulation, loose connections, etc.

It would also help to know the year of the bike. As stated in this thread, the '08s had cam issues (KTM installed them backwards), and were hard to start.

Until you resolve the starting problem, many have had good luck using the kick starter and the button at the SAME time.
Old 05-31-2011, 02:54 PM   #1584
Bungholio
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by PD-Classic View Post
Replace or modify stock rear fender (stock will interfere with the rear tire - I run the KTM "Euro" Fender)

While I have change the rear fender to the Euro style as well, mainly for the smaller taillight, at what point does the rear fender interfere with the tire? Must be at full compression of the suspension. I rode quite a while with the stock one and never had a problem with interference.
Bungholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 04:13 PM   #1585
BajaRat
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 606
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deseret Rider View Post
Ned----what, if anything, can be done to convert the '08 forks to '09 spec? Is it a matter of changing internal parts on the forks or----? If not--is there anything that a backyard mechanic can do himself to improve the '08 suspension?
I have an '08 530 and even with the clickers all the way out, it was still way too harsh for my rocky, desert riding.

I sent my forks and shock to James at: www.superplushsuspension.com/

Problem solved ! I was close to selling the bike but it is now a joy to ride. It rips on rocky trails now. Worth the effort and $$.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:05 PM   #1586
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
Burning fuses

Oinky I'm looking at a wiring diagram and see that the fuse is not in line with your starter---so I'm thinking that that your starter is not involved with your blowing fuses. Of the circuits that are fed downstream from the fuse I suspect that the fan motor circuit is the most likely to be blowing your fuses. Trace your 'hot' wire back from the fan connector to the starter relay looking for a place where it may be grounding to the frame. You might also disconnect the fan at it's connector and run the bike ---if it continues to blow fuses (use 10 amp fuses only) then you can look elsewhere for your problem. It seems to me that if you have a grounded circuit anywhere downline from your starter relay it will present a abnormal drain on the battery which seems to fit the symptoms you describe-----and in that case a new battery will not cure your problem Other circuits fed off the fuse would include your starter button, ignition switch, regulator rectifier (my number two suspect), and your light switch and speedometer. I'm just guessing but think the fan and a blown rectifier in your regulator and the #1 and #2 suspects.

Baha Rat-----thanks for the heads up on "Superplush" I'll check that out.
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:15 AM   #1587
Deseret Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 241
'08 530 EXC-R chain spec?

I don't see a number on the chain links themselves----Is the OEM chain 520 O-Ring? I am looking to buy a spare master link and I see Renthal "R-3" or "R3-2" Links listed on my suppliers catalog. They don't interchange---and I wonder which one I need? Or other suggestions?

Deseret Rider screwed with this post 06-01-2011 at 08:41 AM
Deseret Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 11:46 AM   #1588
PD-Classic
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
I don't see a number on the chain links themselves----Is the OEM chain 520 O-Ring? I am looking to buy a spare master link and I see Renthal "R-3" or "R3-2" Links listed on my suppliers catalog. They don't interchange---and I wonder which one I need? Or other suggestions?
The stock chain is a 5/8" x 1/4" Z-Ring
Stock connecting link part number: 50310366000
Stock master link part number: 50310866000
Old 06-01-2011, 11:58 AM   #1589
malcolmzilla
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
I used an additional DID 520 master and a link from a leftover new scrap length to extend my chain by a full link (2?) to accomodate a trial of 13/14-49/52 rear gearing. The stock chain (15-45) had the stock Six Days DOT tire contacting the mudguard. So 2 masters in a row but I don't expect any issues.

I may go to riveted in a bit, now that the 52 rear is permanent (Christini AWD 13 and 14T fronts) there is some fancy german chain that has no o-rings but is impregnated with dry lube in the links/bushings?
malcolmzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 12:10 PM   #1590
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,875
Is the 'Stock' 530 EXC Silencer different from the 530 XC / 450 SX Stock Silencer
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote