Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #6136
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 148
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
The head of BMW is quoted in the UK bike press as saying that Triumph should be "ashamed" of copying the 800gs.

If true, imagine what he'll say when Triumph comes out with the 1200 Tiger w/shaft drive ...
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #6137
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,482
Quote:
The head of BMW is quoted in the UK bike press as saying that Triumph should be "ashamed" of copying the 800gs.
I agree this doesn't make a lick of sense. Do you have the actual quote in context?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #6138
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,482
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
These reviews make me wonder... BMW is on its fourth production year of the F800GS and is likely due for some changes, hopefully more than a facelift. Will these changes happen via the Husqvarna brand with the 900cc parallel twin rotax motor due this fall? Or will BMW also change their own F800GS?
I doubt any development of a street-oriented Husky will impact an evolutionary update of the F800GS - they're addressing two markets with almost zero overlap. As I understand it, BMW wants to use the Husky brand to address its shortcomings in the cruiser and street naked category, not the adventure bike category. And the F800GS is a highly successful model that BMW won't want to discontinue or let whither on the vine.

When an update of the F800GS will occur is anybody's guess, but it would seem to be due in the next year or two.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #6139
halfast3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Cry

Is that an ABS Roadie? Perhaps there's hope that mine will show up at Cascade Moto Classics, my dealer in Beaverton, ~110 miles north.
halfast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #6140
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
The point I will bring up is front forks ... we all know that the F800GS has too soft forks as standard, can be improved with progressive hyperpro springs, and so on. One point I will make about the Tiger is that it has almost the opposite problem as the GS. I found the XC front end was very uncomfortable on the crappy tar roads around here. It felt too stiff and then sort of hydrolocked. On the gravel it was alright. I think that Hyperpro will make some progressive springs with a softer initial rate and suggest lighter weight oil when they get around to the XC. By contrast the Super Tenere was very comfortable on the same roads.
How many miles did the XC have on it? The forks need to break in a bit (as does the rear shock, actually). The harshness you felt soon goes away.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #6141
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,765
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
As I understand it, BMW wants to use the Husky brand to address its shortcomings in the cruiser and street naked category, not the adventure bike category.

Which is fucking idiotic because Husqvarna is and has always been a very dirt-oriented brand.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 29-31, 2015
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #6142
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,526
Quote:

Haven't we already beaten this dead horse enough? I thought it was already pretty well established that the Tiger 800 was conceptualized back in 2007, before the F800GS was even on market. More of a parallel evolution process, rather than Triumph copying BMW.

I'm not fluent in Italian, but "Agosto 2007" is pretty obvious (see link)

http://www.fedrotriple.it/tiger-800-...1-triumph.html
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #6143
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 4,115
Quote:
I doubt any development of a street-oriented Husky will impact an evolutionary update of the F800GS - they're addressing two markets with almost zero overlap. As I understand it, BMW wants to use the Husky brand to address its shortcomings in the cruiser and street naked category, not the adventure bike category. And the F800GS is a highly successful model that BMW won't want to discontinue or let whither on the vine.

When an update of the F800GS will occur is anybody's guess, but it would seem to be due in the next year or two.

- Mark
Mark 1: From what I've read on the many reports so far, Husqvarna has been linked with four models: enduro, street/enduro, supermoto, and street fighter. So yes, there is overlap if these reports are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Which is fucking idiotic because Husqvarna is and has always been a very dirt-oriented brand.

--mark
Mark 2: Not so fast with the "idiotic" appraisal. It may be that the idiotic move is the overlap between BMW and Husqvarna. And BTW, Husqvarna has been in the supermoto category for a while. Although that is hardly "real" street, that's where some of their bikes have been geared to be ridden.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #6144
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
These reviews make me wonder... BMW is on its fourth production year of the F800GS and is likely due for some changes, hopefully more than a facelift. Will these changes happen via the Husqvarna brand with the 900cc parallel twin rotax motor due this fall? Or will BMW also change their own F800GS?
Meanwhile, the T800XC is a great bike and I can't wait for mine to arrive.
Lion
Will be interesting to see the new Husky 900. I have heard rumors of an updated F800GS. Definitely over due.

Quote:

- Mark
Regards BMW's intentions with Husqvarna ... the Cruiser claim is something I hadn't heard. What I originally heard was BMW were to expand Huskies off road racing presence. They are already racing in GNCC competition and some other areas and have already won world championships in Europe (World Enduro) as well as much success in Super Moto competition here and abroad. The plan, as I understood it, was Husky would lead the way in off road racing. As we all know, David Knight pretty much sealed BMW's fate for their own G450 race bike ... an utter failure.

Cruisers and BMW:
BMW were already badly burned trying to build a cruiser ... remember the White Elephant?
A horrible embarrassment for them and one I doubt they want to repeat.
Husqvarna seem the most unlikely ... and unholy host for a cruiser.
But "One never know, do one" ... after all, look at the Ducati Diavel.
A power cruiser that you can actually ride! Who knew?

One thing is sure ... the F800GS has been a phenomenal success for BMW ... despite the problems, no doubt they are married to this bike for quite some time. An upgrade is sure to come ... and you know they'll have Triumph in their sights.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 AM   #6145
woodys3b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Could someone please direct me to the Tiger 800 thread? I seem to have lost it...............
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:38 AM   #6146
gkgeiger
Every ride is an ADV

Oddometer: 666
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
Could someone please direct me to the Tiger 800 thread? I seem to have lost it...............
http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php?action=forum
'12 NC700X/D
gkgeiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:50 AM   #6147
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 22,261
Quote:

Odd comment, since the S1000RR is modelled on the GSX-R1000 K5.

I'm not BMW bashing btw, as I like S1000. Just seems an odd thing for the guy to say.
He should be ashamed for duping the public into paying a premium price for an inferior product.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 AM   #6148
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,196
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
How many miles did the XC have on it? The forks need to break in a bit (as does the rear shock, actually). The harshness you felt soon goes away.

--mark
I did notice that my F800GS needed a bit of time for the suspension to break in, so I reserve my judgement.

I know someone who is buying one, so when its run in I will ask for a ride and see what its like!

I do have to say that I am still happy with my farkled 800GS (might do a bit more work on the forks though ) so I won't be changing in the near future.
Old 06-02-2011, 09:13 AM   #6149
Joe Bar
Middle England

Oddometer: 1,369
Quote:

Odd comment, since the S1000RR is modelled on the GSX-R1000 K5.

I'm not BMW bashing btw, as I like S1000. Just seems an odd thing for the guy to say.
I don't find it odd at all, I'm not a sports bike fan, but when BMW launched the S1000RR it clearly took a technology and power leap over the established competition. All the magazines agreed and a friend who had raced GSXR1000's successfully for 5 years (won every club championship he entered) climbed onto the S1000RR and said it was like cheating the thing was so far in front.

What's this got to do with the Tiger 800? Well to my mind as good a bike as it may be, it seems to me to be simply offering a similar choice to the F800GS. Triumph had two years to see and try the competition, they could have come up with something that blew the GS out of the water, instead they came out with something that is merely derivative.

Like Von Kunheim at BMW said, Triumph are better than that and have launched some great bikes in recent years. They had the opportunity to raise the sector bar with Tiger 800 and they didn't take it.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:56 AM   #6150
gen
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 804
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Bar View Post
They had the opportunity to raise the sector bar with Tiger 800 and they didn't take it.
I really resonate with this comment. Yes, there are things that the Triumph does better than the BMW (front suspension being the big one.)

I'm riding an old KTM single and am looking for my next bike. The 800GS has too many compromises and I was really looking forward to the Triumph but it just doesn't really have enough to push me over the edge (to purchase) especially in this economy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy that there's another middleweight ADV bike but my wallet is still in my pocket.
DoD#1458
gen is offline   Reply With Quote