Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 03:11 PM   #6166
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
I don't have time to go into detail at the moment, but I test rode an 800XC and a Super Tenere yesterday.

The point I will bring up is front forks ... we all know that the F800GS has too soft forks as standard, can be improved with progressive hyperpro springs, and so on. One point I will make about the Tiger is that it has almost the opposite problem as the GS. I found the XC front end was very uncomfortable on the crappy tar roads around here. It felt too stiff and then sort of hydrolocked. On the gravel it was alright. I think that Hyperpro will make some progressive springs with a softer initial rate and suggest lighter weight oil when they get around to the XC. By contrast the Super Tenere was very comfortable on the same roads.

More later!
These reviews make me wonder... BMW is on its fourth production year of the F800GS and is likely due for some changes, hopefully more than a facelift. Will these changes happen via the Husqvarna brand with the 900cc parallel twin rotax motor due this fall? Or will BMW also change their own F800GS?

Meanwhile, the T800XC is a great bike and I can't wait for mine to arrive.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 03:24 PM   #6167
itsatdm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adv Grifter View Post
But they also liked the engagement of the BMW clutch better. Plus one for BMW there. Also, they said the BMW wheel spin issue would be much less an issue with proper off road tires.

Seems the biggest down side for the BMW is the front forks. I kind of liked the softly sprung F800GS front when I rode the bike. But I was going slow, over rocky terrain. Bike did pretty well, IMHO.
At speed, maybe not so much. On paved roads it did dive ... but I'm used to that. I just use more rear brake. I rocked on the BMW on our nasty roads. Loved it. But I loved the Tiger too!!

But the lack of front feedback and steering confidence on the F800, is IMO, serious criticism ... and both reviewers brought it up. An unsure front end means ... crashes!!

The other surprise for me was that they were adamant about how light the Tiger 800 felt even though it's apparently a heavier bike. This is good news. Most success and happiness riding off road is in your head. With confidence, good feedback and control, you will be happy.
I don't agree with the lack of feed back comment either, but I switched springs so long ago maybe I just do not remember how they used to be.

BMW has made a lot of changes to the bike for a number of reasons. Unless you are Joel Wiseman we aren't even aware of them or know why they were made. A pet peeve of mine and leaves me wondering why?

Back to soft forks, they feel different enough to me that I have commented on how different the new ones feel. Something I will never know because of their sealed cartridges.
Old 06-01-2011, 04:03 PM   #6168
RaY YreKa
I Am the Mayor

Oddometer: 15,951
The head of BMW is quoted in the UK bike press as saying that Triumph should be "ashamed" of copying the 800gs.

Odd comment, since the S1000RR is modelled on the GSX-R1000 K5.

I'm not BMW bashing btw, as I like S1000. Just seems an odd thing for the guy to say.
IBA #40578

shine on, you crazy emo diamond
RaY YreKa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:21 PM   #6169
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 233
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
You know, I've noticed this as well (only 500mi on mine) but haven't taken any time to diagnose. Hasn't seemed dire at this point. On mine, it's very light, almost a 'click' more than a 'clunk', but as you said, can feel it in the bars not the lever. Since I don't have my centerstand yet, I haven't been motivated to get it perched up on something to check the head bearings. I've also felt similar things on other bikes from sticky fork seals, springs moving around inside the fork, and calipers shifting when applying the brakes.

All if someone knows specifically what's causing it on the Tigers.
Looked at mine a bit more after work since I was thinking about it. I think what I might be feeling is a little bit of play in the front discs between the disc and the carrier at the buttons. When you first apply the brakes, you can feel the disc "set" against the buttons. I had a tube frame Buell that developed quite a bit of slop in those buttons over time and I remember assuming for the longest time it was steering bearings but could never feel any play with bike on a stand. Finally figured out it was the buttons. Actually think there might have been a recall because of it at some point... among others
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:38 PM   #6170
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
"Ashamed" ?! Really ? Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Hell, the Germans complained about Russia & the Ural in 1943... It'll blow over.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:39 PM   #6171
PaulSF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 147
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray_rev View Post
The head of BMW is quoted in the UK bike press as saying that Triumph should be "ashamed" of copying the 800gs.

If true, imagine what he'll say when Triumph comes out with the 1200 Tiger w/shaft drive ...
PaulSF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:40 PM   #6172
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
Quote:
I agree this doesn't make a lick of sense. Do you have the actual quote in context?

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #6173
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,164
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
These reviews make me wonder... BMW is on its fourth production year of the F800GS and is likely due for some changes, hopefully more than a facelift. Will these changes happen via the Husqvarna brand with the 900cc parallel twin rotax motor due this fall? Or will BMW also change their own F800GS?
I doubt any development of a street-oriented Husky will impact an evolutionary update of the F800GS - they're addressing two markets with almost zero overlap. As I understand it, BMW wants to use the Husky brand to address its shortcomings in the cruiser and street naked category, not the adventure bike category. And the F800GS is a highly successful model that BMW won't want to discontinue or let whither on the vine.

When an update of the F800GS will occur is anybody's guess, but it would seem to be due in the next year or two.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:06 PM   #6174
halfast3
Adventurer

Oddometer: 24
Cry

Is that an ABS Roadie? Perhaps there's hope that mine will show up at Cascade Moto Classics, my dealer in Beaverton, ~110 miles north.
halfast3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #6175
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ducksbane View Post
The point I will bring up is front forks ... we all know that the F800GS has too soft forks as standard, can be improved with progressive hyperpro springs, and so on. One point I will make about the Tiger is that it has almost the opposite problem as the GS. I found the XC front end was very uncomfortable on the crappy tar roads around here. It felt too stiff and then sort of hydrolocked. On the gravel it was alright. I think that Hyperpro will make some progressive springs with a softer initial rate and suggest lighter weight oil when they get around to the XC. By contrast the Super Tenere was very comfortable on the same roads.
How many miles did the XC have on it? The forks need to break in a bit (as does the rear shock, actually). The harshness you felt soon goes away.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:46 PM   #6176
markbvt
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,575
Quote:
Originally Posted by markjenn View Post
As I understand it, BMW wants to use the Husky brand to address its shortcomings in the cruiser and street naked category, not the adventure bike category.

Which is fucking idiotic because Husqvarna is and has always been a very dirt-oriented brand.

--mark

My ride reports: Missile silos, Labrador, twisties, and more

Bennington Triumph Bash, May 30-June 1, 2014
markbvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:40 PM   #6177
LoriKTM
Wrecking Ball

Oddometer: 1,509
Quote:

Haven't we already beaten this dead horse enough? I thought it was already pretty well established that the Tiger 800 was conceptualized back in 2007, before the F800GS was even on market. More of a parallel evolution process, rather than Triumph copying BMW.

I'm not fluent in Italian, but "Agosto 2007" is pretty obvious (see link)

http://www.fedrotriple.it/tiger-800-...1-triumph.html
LoriKTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 08:47 PM   #6178
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
I doubt any development of a street-oriented Husky will impact an evolutionary update of the F800GS - they're addressing two markets with almost zero overlap. As I understand it, BMW wants to use the Husky brand to address its shortcomings in the cruiser and street naked category, not the adventure bike category. And the F800GS is a highly successful model that BMW won't want to discontinue or let whither on the vine.

When an update of the F800GS will occur is anybody's guess, but it would seem to be due in the next year or two.

- Mark
Mark 1: From what I've read on the many reports so far, Husqvarna has been linked with four models: enduro, street/enduro, supermoto, and street fighter. So yes, there is overlap if these reports are correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markbvt View Post
Which is fucking idiotic because Husqvarna is and has always been a very dirt-oriented brand.

--mark
Mark 2: Not so fast with the "idiotic" appraisal. It may be that the idiotic move is the overlap between BMW and Husqvarna. And BTW, Husqvarna has been in the supermoto category for a while. Although that is hardly "real" street, that's where some of their bikes have been geared to be ridden.

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 09:25 PM   #6179
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Meanwhile, the T800XC is a great bike and I can't wait for mine to arrive.
Lion
Will be interesting to see the new Husky 900. I have heard rumors of an updated F800GS. Definitely over due.

Quote:

- Mark
Regards BMW's intentions with Husqvarna ... the Cruiser claim is something I hadn't heard. What I originally heard was BMW were to expand Huskies off road racing presence. They are already racing in GNCC competition and some other areas and have already won world championships in Europe (World Enduro) as well as much success in Super Moto competition here and abroad. The plan, as I understood it, was Husky would lead the way in off road racing. As we all know, David Knight pretty much sealed BMW's fate for their own G450 race bike ... an utter failure.

Cruisers and BMW:
BMW were already badly burned trying to build a cruiser ... remember the White Elephant?
A horrible embarrassment for them and one I doubt they want to repeat.
Husqvarna seem the most unlikely ... and unholy host for a cruiser.
But "One never know, do one" ... after all, look at the Ducati Diavel.
A power cruiser that you can actually ride! Who knew?

One thing is sure ... the F800GS has been a phenomenal success for BMW ... despite the problems, no doubt they are married to this bike for quite some time. An upgrade is sure to come ... and you know they'll have Triumph in their sights.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 03:04 AM   #6180
woodys3b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Could someone please direct me to the Tiger 800 thread? I seem to have lost it...............
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote