Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Equipment
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2011, 05:29 PM   #106
robsong
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Hey Lucky thanks for the info. That makes me feel very good about trying one. I think I have a more rounded headshape as well. I did try one on the other day and its hard to tell what long term be. But do feel better knowing both the Quantum 2 and C3 fit you well...
robsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 06:54 PM   #107
RockemRdr
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 418
Thank you. My helmet fits fine. It is the awful seam that that tatoos my forehead. The impression lasts for a day after wearing the helmet for a few hours. It is only painful if I wear it for 4 or more hours. When wearing it that long the seam tatoo is still there in the morning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phactory Phil View Post
We're going to be approaching the forehead issues in terms of short- to long-term solutions:

1) We're looking into the different headliner thicknesses and interchangeability to see if a different liner will fit and help reduce pressure

2) Revise the liner so that the sewn seam isn't so thick, or that the pressure is distributed over a wider area

3) Revise the interior shape of the EPS

Now don't go getting all excited, this is OUR plan to try and help more people enjoy the C3. Making significant changes in this kind of thing can be like steering a battleship. Nothing happens real fast, but we'll keep you posted.
RockemRdr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 07:31 AM   #108
roberttran
Adventurer

Oddometer: 14
Mine is out for delivery today. Excited to try it when I get home!
I ordered a Small so I hope it fits. I measured my head and it fits right on the low end of the small for Schuberth. I wear an HJC Medium right now and know it's a bit too large.
roberttran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 02:39 PM   #109
zenwhipper
Adventurer

Oddometer: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddyturn View Post
I like this helmet a lot but I too am having the pressure point at the top of my forehead. Really gives me a headache too. I took a spoon to put a little dip in the foam but that is not working. The liner in the helmet has a seam and bulge right there and leave a big ole mark on my forehead when I take it off. I hope I can get this worked out and not have to sell the thing.

It is quiet. I stood up on some dirt last weekend and got out from behind the shield and it was totally quiet and I didn't feel the wind like with my Scorpion 900.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GS Addict View Post
Carefully take a spoon and work the foam down in that precise area behind the seam.
It worked for me, I found mine was just a little tight on the forehead area.
Repeated working with the back side if the spoon made the helmet fit perfectly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by lhendrik View Post
On the road this week with my new C3. I love the helmet, but I have the exact same dent in my forehead and headache after 1 1/2 hour. Tried compressing the foam with some force, but only minor temp relief. That foam is hard as a rock, it ain't gonna wear in! Compressing foam with hammers and spoons seems as dumb as cutting away some foam. Finally, at a stop for rest I took my leather man super sharp blade and after peeling back the liner, I shaved some of the foam off (gasp from product liability lawyers and DOT). It seems to have helped. I'm probably going to do a flap-ectomy on that little winter flap that covers the vent holes as it is definitely contributing to the irritation. So what if I have permanently scarred my $700 helmet, it WORKS.

BTW, I installed my old Camos BTS-200 blutooth headset in ten minutes. Looks like ass stuck on the side, but it works, and I can use the $400 I saved on the SRC headset for a tank of gas...
I spent about 30 minutes in a C3 at the local BMW dealer and developed a fore head hot spot. I like the helmet but did not buy it out of concern for head pain.

For those who have done some internal foam work, how was it working with Schuberth's "...specially optimized EPS foam" (see pic below)? It looks different from most helmet foams and feels harder to the touch than regular EPS foam.

Thanks for the help mates.

Can anyone post a pic of their modded internal foam??

Scott

2006 V-strom

Current machine:
2008 FJR

Favorite quote:
"MAN HAS NOT EVOLVED ONE IOTA FROM THE SLIME THAT SPAWNED HIM"
zenwhipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 04:44 PM   #110
HOGnDAS
not a n00b just lost alot

Oddometer: 34
c3

I tried one on for about 30 min. at the dealers and while it feels like high quality all around I wasn't sold. I felt like my jaw and the back of my neck were exposed and unprotected. I have grown used to the feel of the Arai X3 and the way it covers more. Plus that sun visor is worth it's weight in gold to me. Think I'll wait for the next gen.
HOGnDAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 05:05 PM   #111
Malapple
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by zenwhipper View Post
I spent about 30 minutes in a C3 at the local BMW dealer and developed a fore head hot spot. I like the helmet but did not buy it out of concern for head pain.

For those who have done some internal foam work, how was it working with Schuberth's "...specially optimized EPS foam" (see pic below)? It looks different from most helmet foams and feels harder to the touch than regular EPS foam.

Thanks for the help mates.

Can anyone post a pic of their modded internal foam?? :clap

Scott

Would really appreciate photos or detail about this as well.

I have a C3 and really like it... but after about 45 minutes I have the hot-spot problem. I don't actually feel it until quite a bit longer, but the 45 minute point is where it shows up. And stays visible for at least 30 minutes.

Given that long distance riding and commuting is my thing, it means that I cannot really use the lid much.

A couple of other points - I'm happy that a lot of people don't seem to have this problem. But given how many -have- had it, I don't think it's exactly right to dismiss it as a non concern.

Also, it's a bit frustrating as you cannot really discover it until you've worn it far longer than most anyone would when trying them on.
Malapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:11 PM   #112
GHanson
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 110
Just to chime in on the forehead furrow phenomenon: when I first got the helmet I got the hotspot after half an hour, just like in the pictures.

I'll admit, I thought about doing a little sculpting with my Sawzall, but what I ended up doing was taking my right thumb and pressing on the EPS under the liner at the appropriate spot. Worked like a charm. So far I've ridden for six hours and no hot spot.

That was easy.
GHanson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 04:14 AM   #113
Mike M
Over Here Now...

Oddometer: 1,495
I've always worn a full face Shoei---right now an X11 for the past 5 years---so its time to get a new helmet.

I want to like a flip-up lid but I figure that I'd probably be tempted to ride with it in the open position from time to time in very hot weather. I also wonder what would happen if you go down on the chin bar---would it snap open?

Also, I tried a C3 on and it's a frickin' huge helmet (just it's overall diameter)!
Old 06-02-2011, 05:59 AM   #114
red-line
n00b

Oddometer: 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac View Post
I too have mounted Scala Q3 my my Schuberth C3 and it worked fine until double stick tape started peeling off. Now that I got Schuberth SRC system installed I do not have to worry about it, but it burned a $$ hole in my pocket.

If you search for Shuberth C3 Scala you will find a thread where I posted a pictures of install.

D.

Hi Motodisiac, (and all those of you who have a scala installed on your C3),

This is my first post here on this forum. (Long time lurker)

I took a look at the thread you mentioned. Looking at the pics of the scala installed on the C3, does having the scala installed through the neck roll and leaving such a gap not defeat the purpose of the neck roll and let wind noise into the helmet?

I just bought a C3, and was contemplating installing my scala, but am worried that wind noise will be introduced into the helmet by doing so.

Thanks
red-line is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #115
Josephvman
I'm the Decider

Oddometer: 3,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike M View Post
I've always worn a full face Shoei---right now an X11 for the past 5 years---so its time to get a new helmet.

I want to like a flip-up lid but I figure that I'd probably be tempted to ride with it in the open position from time to time in very hot weather. I also wonder what would happen if you go down on the chin bar---would it snap open?

Also, I tried a C3 on and it's a frickin' huge helmet (just it's overall diameter)!
I use an X11 too, and everything else I try on feels huge compared to it.
'93 Ducati 900SS "Slightly older whore"
"Gentlemen. You can't fight in here. This is the War Room!"
Josephvman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 01:56 PM   #116
Motodisiac
Moto Terrorist

Oddometer: 3,489
I did not notice any noise increase after Scala installation. You are making tiny passage through the neck roll and it's mostly sealed by flexible mic body.

Since then I actually upgraded to SRC system anyways.

D.

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-line View Post
Hi Motodisiac, (and all those of you who have a scala installed on your C3),

This is my first post here on this forum. (Long time lurker)

I took a look at the thread you mentioned. Looking at the pics of the scala installed on the C3, does having the scala installed through the neck roll and leaving such a gap not defeat the purpose of the neck roll and let wind noise into the helmet?

I just bought a C3, and was contemplating installing my scala, but am worried that wind noise will be introduced into the helmet by doing so.

Thanks

Ducati Multistrada 1200 S - Adventure, Commuting, Track, Fun
CRF450X - Dirt Toy
Motodisiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 02:24 PM   #117
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,326
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motodisiac View Post
I did not notice any noise increase after Scala installation. You are making tiny passage through the neck roll and it's mostly sealed by flexible mic body.

Since then I actually upgraded to SRC system anyways.

D.
I don't think it's the passage of the anything throgh the neck roll, it's the not-too-aerodynamic Scala unit mounted on the outside of the helmet that creates more wind noise. I could notice more noise on the left side of my Shoei RF1000 after I installed the Scala.
Old 06-02-2011, 07:05 PM   #118
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,227
So, what were the "tips" to help during the break in period....?? Dented forehead people want to know
Old 06-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #119
Nacho911
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
I love mine. Fits like a skull stocking>
Old 06-03-2011, 03:56 AM   #120
Omer
Brrrr

Oddometer: 21
Schuberth SRC system goes bad after ~2 months

I'll drop this in here, though might start a new thread to hear if anyone else experienced this -

Re: the Schuberth SRC system - Honeymoon is over; left speaker stopped working after ~2 months for no apparent reason.

While riding along, left speaker suddenly cut off, came back for a few seconds, then died. Taking out the SRC collar and poking around at the relevant wires (through the shroud - did not want to void my warranty - produced no improvement). Probably unrelated, but this did come up 1 day after the update to 3.0.x.

SRC sent back to Schuberth Germany as local retailer wouldn't replace it.

And this 2 weeks before a 10 day trip.

Would be interested to know if anyone experienced a similar issue.
Omer is offline   Reply With Quote