Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-01-2011, 10:15 PM   #8836
Suzuki Phil
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Phil View Post
You replaced the pilot jet, is it OEM or aftermarket? There is a difference between the two. Your pilot should have holes in it, not solid.

My 96 DR350 had the incorrect pilot jet when I bought it, pulled all my teeth and most of my hair trying to figure it out. By chance I called Jesse at Keintech to pick his brain, $7.00 later I was in business with a new pilot in it's way. Been running great for four years now.

SP
I stand corrected, thinking about it now I think the pilot jet has to be solid not with holes. It's been four years and my memory isn't what it was.

Can another DR rider confirm?

SP
Old 06-02-2011, 04:07 AM   #8837
GsVs
Goin' Somewhere

Oddometer: 1,388
Pilot Jet

The Pilot Jet ...

has a hole ..... a Very-Very small hole (that is why it clogs up easily), but it does have a hole.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suzuki Phil View Post
I stand corrected, thinking about it now I think the pilot jet has to be solid not with holes. It's been four years and my memory isn't what it was.

Can another DR rider confirm?

SP
Old 06-02-2011, 05:01 AM   #8838
jon_l
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,983
Quote:
Originally Posted by hajime View Post
My mirrors are loose and will not tighten enough to stay put when riding faster than 50 mph. Argh. The problem is a worn swivel/pivot joint. They don't come apart. Any ideas on how these could be tightened? Has anyone separated the mirror from the arm that attaches to the handle bars? I think the only solution is new mirrors. Bike bandit shows them as a one piece assembly ($70.00 each). That price seems ridiculous.
I want these: http://www.doubletakemirror.com/build
Old 06-02-2011, 05:49 AM   #8839
Greg Bender
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jon_l View Post
I've heard great things about the RAM mount mirrors.

My DR350 came with some Acerbis mirrors that are pretty much junk (and I generally like Acerbis stuff). I tried a few cheap solid mount mirrors and all of them have cracked at the pivot. Then it was recommended on Max-Zuki to get a Ken Sean Enduro Mirror. I really like this mirror. Pivots in for dirt naps to prevent clutch (and brake) perch breakage. Plus, the mirror is actually quite functional as a mirror (a refreshing change from a lot of the junk that is being sold out there today).

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg Bender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:18 AM   #8840
tominboise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
What are the options for replacing the key switch on an e start version? My switch contacts are about worn out, requiring holding the key in the right spot to start and again to shut off. Are replacement switches available? Is there another option, like just installing a simple on/off switch with some sort of locking mechanism or hidden kill switch or something?

Tom

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 09:06 AM   #8841
matloik
kludge

Oddometer: 1,229
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
What are the options for replacing the key switch on an e start version? My switch contacts are about worn out, requiring holding the key in the right spot to start and again to shut off. Are replacement switches available? Is there another option, like just installing a simple on/off switch with some sort of locking mechanism or hidden kill switch or something?

Tom
Yeah, just ditch the key switch and install a toggle switch someplace inconspicuous. That's my plan ...
Old 06-02-2011, 10:04 AM   #8842
Gerst
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 245
Quote:

I have a pair of these on my 640 and love em. Easy to adjust, they tuck away when off road, easy to remove if you want to leave them in camp etc. I've been down a few times and hit them on a tree branch or two at a good clip and they're holding up well. The only thing I would change is: I would like a convex mirror for better visibility at a glance (I think it would be easy to add one of those stick on towing mirrors though). Oh, and the price but the only thing likely to break is the mirror arm so if you have to replace anything it should only be one piece at $25 not bad!
Great product, good investment and you're buying from a fellow inmate ok infomercial off.

Edit: I just checked the website, looks like the mirror is now convex. Great improvement
Gerst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 11:54 AM   #8843
silverwasp
Silverwasp

Oddometer: 19
Help

hi I am so new to all this... why do I admit to that ??? Ok I have a 99 and I want to put a clarke tank on it. How do I go about this. Also I think the clutch needs adjusting. I cannot get it into neutral when I am stopped unless I roll it some. Is this normal? Also the clutch lever seems a bit sticky. Its hard to say as I am a goil with small hands... the brake lever does not feel the same... sort of like metal is rubbing on metal. Next how often should I change the oil? Filter? Is there a filter? Come on dont laugh...I am serious... and OK yes I am blonde...go ahead have your fun... I know there is an air filter, but where????.... ok I am laughing now too... this is sad... but where there is a will there is a way.. I am here asking questions yes???? I did manage to find this thread and now I am asking... so shoot me. WHAT???? was I born with this knowlege.... I think not.

Yes it is humiliating to be asking such simple things.. but I tell you I learn and I will not forget... soon the questions may get difficult so dont be too smug. So whoever takes on this mission I send thanks in advance... it could mean a place to crash and a good meal in Vancouver if you ever venture out this way.
silverwasp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 12:14 PM   #8844
SpenserpVT
Doctor Three Fifty

Oddometer: 252
Quote:
Great mirrors. I love them. Now I can actually see around my arms while riding! Great quality, and they fold out of the way in case you don't feel like testing that quality on a rocky trail.
Old 06-02-2011, 03:06 PM   #8845
Ninja77
WiLD DoG

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwasp View Post
hi I am so new to all this... why do I admit to that ??? Ok I have a 99 and I want to put a clarke tank on it. How do I go about this. Also I think the clutch needs adjusting. I cannot get it into neutral when I am stopped unless I roll it some. Is this normal? Also the clutch lever seems a bit sticky. Its hard to say as I am a goil with small hands... the brake lever does not feel the same... sort of like metal is rubbing on metal. Next how often should I change the oil? Filter? Is there a filter? Come on dont laugh...I am serious... and OK yes I am blonde...go ahead have your fun... I know there is an air filter, but where????.... ok I am laughing now too... this is sad... but where there is a will there is a way.. I am here asking questions yes???? I did manage to find this thread and now I am asking... so shoot me. WHAT???? was I born with this knowlege.... I think not.

Yes it is humiliating to be asking such simple things.. but I tell you I learn and I will not forget... soon the questions may get difficult so dont be too smug. So whoever takes on this mission I send thanks in advance... it could mean a place to crash and a good meal in Vancouver if you ever venture out this way.
Tank: Acerbis, buy, fit
Clutch: Oil your cable
Neutral: It does that when hot
Oil: every 3000kms/2000mls
Oil filter: right bottom side of engine, it says "filter"
Air filter: behind left cover under seat in airbox infront of battery.

Ninja77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 05:56 PM   #8846
clab04
The Sprout

Oddometer: 121
Quote:
Originally Posted by tominboise View Post
need a little help on a potential purchase. i went and checked out a craigslist '98 dirt version this evening. I am curious about it - it is kick start, enduro headlight/tailight, odometer. It doesn't have compression relief and it has push/pull cables on the throttle - Is this correct for a dirt version? I thought all dirt versions had a single pull cable and compression relief. It started on the 3rd kick from cold. It's overall in good condition - obviously been ridden off road, as you'd expect. Guy wants $1500. I have a street legal version and was thinking about getting a dirt version to go along with it.

THoughts?
Only if there is a half ounce of gold hanging from the handel bars Way over priced man! It might be worth $1000 if it looked brand new. These bikes normally don't break into the $1200- $1500 range unless they are titled. $700 or $800 at best. Yes, the push pull is stock.

Hey hey hey! Don't you think he is dead enough?
Well he shouldn't have been playing on my side of the street!
clab04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 06:22 PM   #8847
jimmesa
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverwasp View Post

It's always a good idea to spend the $20 or so on the Suzuki 350 Owners Manual. It will answer a lot of questions and help you learn about your bike. Jim
'02 Suzuki DR200SE
jimmesa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:04 PM   #8848
tominboise
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 667
Quote:
Originally Posted by clab04 View Post
Only if there is a half ounce of gold hanging from the handel bars Way over priced man! It might be worth $1000 if it looked brand new. These bikes normally don't break into the $1200- $1500 range unless they are titled. $700 or $800 at best. Yes, the push pull is stock.

Same as I was thinking - just wanted to confirm.....

1995 DR350SE - mini adventure bike,,,,
1982 R65/80 G/S - bigger adventure bike,,,,
tominboise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:11 PM   #8849
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
I don't know about that - a '98 dirt model is pretty desirable. 7 or 8 hundred might get you a ratted out old pos of an early DR, it'd be very unusual to find a tidy late-model DR for twice that. I'd say 1500 for a '98 is a darn good deal if its in ok shape.

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2011, 07:33 PM   #8850
marksbonneville
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 960
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Bender View Post
I've heard great things about the RAM mount mirrors.

My DR350 came with some Acerbis mirrors that are pretty much junk (and I generally like Acerbis stuff). I tried a few cheap solid mount mirrors and all of them have cracked at the pivot. Then it was recommended on Max-Zuki to get a Ken Sean Enduro Mirror. I really like this mirror. Pivots in for dirt naps to prevent clutch (and brake) perch breakage. Plus, the mirror is actually quite functional as a mirror (a refreshing change from a lot of the junk that is being sold out there today).

Regards,

Gregory Bender
Greg do you remember where you bought the Ken Sean Mirrors? Sending you a PM.
Thanks.
Mark

marksbonneville screwed with this post 06-02-2011 at 07:52 PM
marksbonneville is offline   Reply With Quote