the bike is choppin' itself !

Scramster
Ginger Beard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:15 AM   #497
pescatore
Wanderer

Oddometer: 43
tank bag

Someone was asking about tank bags on Sportys a few days ago. Here are a couple of pics of my 06 XL1200R. The tank bag looks a little odd on the Sporty, but on trips where I want to plug in a phone to charge or have quick access to stuff, it's invaluable. I've never had a problem with the magnetic surface scratching the paint - I'm usually pretty careful to keep it clean. there is a rubber handle on the front of the bag that flaps in the wind and scuffs the tank unless it tuck it inside the flap for the map sleeve. I *almost* always remember to do this...

pescatore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:40 AM   #498
Terrytori
Namaste

Oddometer: 1,823
Quote:
Originally Posted by pescatore View Post

One could build a case that keeping Maine Beautiful might start by not painting the natural beauty.

Your scoot is ready for the long haul, man. Get on it!

t.

http://www.secordgallery.com/gallery...2_itemId=35642
Terrytori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 07:51 AM   #499
pescatore
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
One could build a case that keeping Maine Beautiful might start by not painting the natural beauty.
Yeah, that thought crossed my mind too. But this is just south of the entrance to Baxter State Park. Considering how strict they are about keeping Baxter wild, I'd say they earned the right to paint a rock.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrytori View Post
Your scoot is ready for the long haul, man. Get on it!
It was mostly ready. Until it wasn't. But now it is again.
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=693657
Old 06-03-2011, 10:18 AM   #500
twinpower
1200R Sportster

Oddometer: 32
Thanks for the pics... What tank bag is that? I'm trying to figure out just how wide of one will reasonably work with a 1200R, since the tank tapers as it gets closer to the seat. Mike
Quote:
Originally Posted by pescatore View Post
Someone was asking about tank bags on Sportys a few days ago. Here are a couple of pics of my 06 XL1200R. The tank bag looks a little odd on the Sporty, but on trips where I want to plug in a phone to charge or have quick access to stuff, it's invaluable. I've never had a problem with the magnetic surface scratching the paint - I'm usually pretty careful to keep it clean. there is a rubber handle on the front of the bag that flaps in the wind and scuffs the tank unless it tuck it inside the flap for the map sleeve. I *almost* always remember to do this...

>
Old 06-03-2011, 10:32 AM   #501
pescatore
Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpower View Post
Thanks for the pics... What tank bag is that? I'm trying to figure out just how wide of one will reasonably work with a 1200R, since the tank tapers as it gets closer to the seat. Mike
It's a cortech bag. I'm pretty sure it's this one:
http://www.motorcyclegear.com/parts/..._tank_bag.html

Though mine doesn't have the grommet on the front (unfortunately). Seems to work okay with the taper of the tank, and I have the tiny 2.5 gal tank. It expands to fit a deceptive large amount of stuff, though the slope of the zipper when expanded coupled with the slope of the tank means that I have to be careful stuff doesn't fall out when I open it (go in from the side...)
Old 06-03-2011, 04:07 PM   #502
trashbox
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinpower View Post
I just bought this http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com...-Tank-Bag.aspx about 2 weeks ago. It is about the same size as the gas tank (3.whatever gallon). The pics kind of make it look like it hangs over, but it doesn't really. It's just the pad underneath the bag (I bought the strapped version).

trashbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2011, 06:32 PM   #503
johnwesley
wanta be

Oddometer: 1,525
May not be in with the theme of the thread but I have a 1200 sport I chopping in to a adv bike. See the sportster link in my sig line.

johnwesley screwed with this post 06-03-2011 at 07:07 PM
johnwesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 AM   #504
Bloodweiser OP
honestly

Oddometer: 2,582
awesome sporty john.

Wobble update: Got new avons installed. Wobble is gone! terribly awesome.

Now of course there has to be a new issue. I removed the rear caliper to get the wheel out and after it was reinstalled I had no brake pressure at the rear. A little searching around and I discovered I must not have aligned my pads in the retainer clip and the caliper was skewed, allowing the top of the caliper to canter outwards from the wheel. I removed the pads and reinstalled them, and applied brake pressure while tightening the pin bolt. Now I have pressure and a working brake!

But, after a quick ride, the front rotors are just barely warm and the rear is pretty damn hot. I'm dragging, but I'm not sure what to adjust at this point.

Anybody out there have any ideas?

Even now, the caliper moves a bit when pressure is applied. It seems like it would/should, since there's no rear fasteners holding this thing in place, just 2 pins.
Bloodweiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:08 PM   #505
bearcat1
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 222
Quote:
Originally Posted by garandman View Post

Know the old joke about "Why are all Harley parts chromed? So you can find them at the side of the road. Note in pic above: battery cover not found....
Zip ties from now on!
garandman,

There is a penny tech fix to keep from losing your battery cover. Take a small screw and install it between the plastic tabs on clip that goes throught the frame. The screw forces the plastic tabs apart and effectively locks the clip into the frame. The plastic clip is known to pop out of the frame and you think your battery cover is locked in and it is not, thus the cover flops over. I did this to my Sporty and it works. Supposedly HD has a new improved clip but I'm not so sure it's actually improved and worth the $$. A 2 cent screw solves the problem.
bearcat1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 02:19 PM   #506
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 356
Quote:
Originally Posted by bearcat1 View Post
garandman,

There is a penny tech fix to keep from losing your battery cover. Take a small screw and install it between the plastic tabs on clip that goes throught the frame. The screw forces the plastic tabs apart and effectively locks the clip into the frame. The plastic clip is known to pop out of the frame and you think your battery cover is locked in and it is not, thus the cover flops over. I did this to my Sporty and it works. Supposedly HD has a new improved clip but I'm not so sure it's actually improved and worth the $$. A 2 cent screw solves the problem.
Or you could do like I did and zip-tie it in place. I get bags of black ones from Ace; looked for black and orange zip-ties from the MoCo but it seems to be the one thing they left out of their accessory catalog.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:05 PM   #507
garandman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,884
I just zip tied it on the bottom.

Supposedly 07+ have the improved clip, didn't inquire as to cost.

“The problem in defense is how far you can go without destroying from within what you are trying to defend from without.” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
garandman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2011, 05:54 PM   #508
Wanna Ride
Adventurer

Oddometer: 84
Quote:

Even now, the caliper moves a bit when pressure is applied. It seems like it would/should, since there's no rear fasteners holding this thing in place, just 2 pins.
You might have bent the pins and now the caliper cannot move as much as needed.

There is a related problem with not getting the caliper properly positioned on the pins during reassembly and bending the mount or caliper, but I cannot remember the specifics.
Wanna Ride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:01 AM   #509
zombieKILLER
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Here's my 09 sporster custom.

About a month ago did a 2,000km roundtrip thru mindanao. Had to put the bike on 4 boat rides each way. It was really fun. The longest ride we did in a day was 500km, we only stoped for gas.
2010 Yamaha Mio
"NEVER GO LESS THAN FULL FORCE"

zombieKILLER screwed with this post 06-05-2011 at 04:49 AM
zombieKILLER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 04:49 AM   #510
plugeye
mc caregiver

Oddometer: 3,366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
awesome sporty john.

Wobble update: Got new avons installed. Wobble is gone! terribly awesome.

Now of course there has to be a new issue. I removed the rear caliper to get the wheel out and after it was reinstalled I had no brake pressure at the rear. A little searching around and I discovered I must not have aligned my pads in the retainer clip and the caliper was skewed, allowing the top of the caliper to canter outwards from the wheel. I removed the pads and reinstalled them, and applied brake pressure while tightening the pin bolt. Now I have pressure and a working brake!

But, after a quick ride, the front rotors are just barely warm and the rear is pretty damn hot. I'm dragging, but I'm not sure what to adjust at this point.

had a 94 fxr new & the rear pads were gone at 4k. i dont use rear brake that much, mainly front. they dragged continually, H-D design flaw? not sure
plugeye is offline   Reply With Quote