Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 25 votes, 4.48 average. Display Modes
Old 06-05-2011, 05:02 AM   #481
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,080
Laugh Great thread!

I've been a member of ADV for longer than I know and have only just stumbled on this thread! Where ever I go I find myself looking at railway stations and trains... the following may well explain this strange habit I have.

My old man was a station master for the NSWGR (New South Wales Government Railways - well that was one of its names during his time from the 60's to the 90's).

Just to set the scene the railway station is situated about 60km (37 miles for those who are yet to come into the metric system ) north west of Sydney, Australia. It is part of the 'Richmond Line' and services the rural area of Clarendon comprising mostly of horse training properties and the RAAF (Air Force) base, known as the Richmond RAAF base.

The house on the right is the Clarendon station masters residence. The photo was taken in the 20's or 30's, guessing by the vehicles that is... 50 years later I grew up in that house!

Roughly the same view 50 years later. On the front of the house you can see a small enclosed verandah... that was my bedroom for the 6 years we lived there (5yo - 11yo). And what 5-11yo boy doesn't want to live on a railway line?

That's my old man going down to let the train (on the right) out of the loop whilst the one on the left goes about its business. The 'staff' is in his left hand (which he gives to the train guard - not sure what you'd call them in the US? Conductor??) and the signal key in his right hand. You can see my bedroom on the left and how close I was to the rail line. The gates across the road also bring back memories as Mum used to send us 'over to help Dad at work' when she had had enough of us during the school holidays. This involved opening the gates, emptying rubbish bins and sweeping and hosing the place clean. I used to also enjoy it when he had to go and change the kerosene lamps in the signals that were located further along the line in each direction from the station. Good memories just sitting here thinking about it

Track diagram from the signal box at the station.

Kerosene signal located to the right of the photo. My old man wouldn't ever let us climb more than 6ft up the ladder. Now days I imagine we wouldn't even be allowed to be in the 'workplace' let alone do anything

The station buildings. From the left hand end... ticket window ( my old man NEVER opened it, he liked the personal touch of people coming into his office buying a ticket and having a chat!), doorway to station masters office, door way to 'Ladies waiting room'. Next little building (in the middle) is the signal box and the last building had a floor constructed from old railway sleepers, no power and no light. It was where the kerosene lamps were kept, cleaned and refilled... again all in the dark or as much light as you could get in having the doors open. They also stored a luggage trolley in there (something I never saw used) again I find myself remember things as I type...

Sadly this is what Clarendon railway station looks like today... the building on the left hand platform is where the station was originally in my photo's above. The line has been electrified and duplicated at the station to allow no human intervention in placing trains in 'loops' so they can pass each other. The station is also, sadly, no longer manned. The house I grew up in was demolished in the mid eighties after we moved out.

Hopefully, I've added a little bit of interest to those of you from the other side of the world who have some great photo's and stories in this thread!

SOFT TO THE CORE OUTBACK NSW & SA RIDE REPORT JULY 2014

jtb screwed with this post 06-24-2011 at 05:52 PM
jtb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #482
ddavidv
Thrifty not cheap

Oddometer: 1,049
Thumb

Nice stuff, jtb. Thanks for sharing!

KLR Chronicles, list of my Ride Reports in PA/MD:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...2#post18782262
ddavidv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 06:04 AM   #483
cagiva549
whats a cagiva

Oddometer: 2,454
At least the line is still there , thats more than you can say for a lot in this country . Cool history , some thing to hang on to . SEYA
05 ST3 duck
07 KTM 450 EXC
86 Goldwing my geezer ride
cagiva549 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 08:31 PM   #484
Gray_Rider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 266
JTB

I see that on my daily commute everyday.

Do you remember the old pub at Clarendon (one of the first to have topless barmaids). It used to be a hang out for the RAAFies.

I think it burn't down in the 80's.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:57 PM   #485
Agent2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Jtb, those are awesome photos, both the location, and the "then and now" aspect. Were there lots of trains on that line, and, like here in America, do they sound the horn at the crossing? Reason I ask is once I spent a night in a small motel in Tehachapi right next to the UP / BNSF (or as I like to remember, the Southern Pacific / Santa Fe) mainline. Train every half hour or so blowing its horn for the crossing about 50 feet from my room, didn't get much sleep that night...
Agent2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:11 PM   #486
Agent2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 127
Trains in the desert

Agent2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:01 AM   #487
GSPeP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,078
Paddington station in London

- FB: www.facebook.com/peter.perdaen
- Youtube: www.youtube.com/user/1150GSPEP/videos
GSPeP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 02:04 AM   #488
GSPeP
Beastly Adventurer

Eurostar train in St-Pancras station, London

(High speed train from Brussels or Paris to London, UK)

Old 06-10-2011, 02:41 AM   #489
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agent2 View Post
Jtb, those are awesome photos, both the location, and the "then and now" aspect. Were there lots of trains on that line, and, like here in America, do they sound the horn at the crossing? Reason I ask is once I spent a night in a small motel in Tehachapi right next to the UP / BNSF (or as I like to remember, the Southern Pacific / Santa Fe) mainline. Train every half hour or so blowing its horn for the crossing about 50 feet from my room, didn't get much sleep that night...
Trains ran pretty much every half hour. During the night the used to run freight trains carrying sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gray_Rider View Post
JTB

I see that on my daily commute everyday.

Do you remember the old pub at Clarendon (one of the first to have topless barmaids). It used to be a hang out for the RAAFies.

I think it burn't down in the 80's.
GR, Yeah mate I remember it. From memory it was called the Aerodrome Hotel (??). I remember over hearing someone or other talking about it being topless as a young bloke.

Another thing I forgot to mention is that here I am 35 years later living...
a) beside the same line
b) not more than 3km (about 2 miles) away
Pic taken out the front of my place...

The train's blury but you get the idea... (I was taking a photo of the bike, not the train.)

Old 06-10-2011, 02:44 AM   #490
jtb
Beastly Adventurer

From our US holiday

Old 06-10-2011, 04:41 AM   #491
GSPeP
Beastly Adventurer

Railroad bridge with train (seen from the "Dom" in Cologne, Germany)

Old 06-14-2011, 09:00 PM   #492
H96669
A proud pragmatist.

Oddometer: 4,296
The CPR....spent a lot of my youth watching them go by.

Old 06-15-2011, 01:28 AM   #493
motu
Loose Pre Unit

Oddometer: 4,324
I saw these 16 new Chinese DL locos go past work the other day....that gives us 20 of the things. Hope to see them in action soon.

That old DC pulling these 2 would date from the '60's....we need to replace them.

motu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 12:19 PM   #494
RocketMan
Out Rocketing

Oddometer: 592
how about some old steam train engines I just recently shot with the new to me medium format camera?

An excursion train engine in WV near Cass, don't know anything about this one.

now this one I do know something about, Its a Shey gear-driven logging train engine, gear train is only on one side
(the outside) of the engine as it goes up and down the mountain side via several switchbacks so it always facing
the same direction. One of only two left in operation, both owned by this company in Cass Wv. The medium format
negative was scanned at 3200 dpi so there is plenty of detail. You can see the driving pistons near the center of
the gear train along the side of the engine and the two sets of universal joints to either side of the three vertical
driving pistons. talk about some built on a big scale, damn!

RM
"Live life to the fullest, cause buddy, once you're dead life ain't worth living" Nat King Cole
"Never trust a user with your television overnight,
Don't try to paint your masterpiece by artificial light." - The Pretenders
Always DSTDJR-----Don't Sweat The Details---Just Ride!!!
RocketMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:15 PM   #495
MZcountryboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,441
here is a video of the above shay locomotive at the Cass Railroad I shot last weekend. Very quiet for a steam loco IMO. More pics of it on my smuggy -

I guess the vid is of a different one, whoops - I had never seen a Shay live before, it was mind boggling to watch it run.
MZcountryboy is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: