Go Back   ADVrider > Gear > Vendors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-30-2011, 07:55 PM   #46
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Oddometer: 2,095
Photos have been added. It's not super important, but it is on the list.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:42 PM   #47
BENRON
I'm Mr. Crabtree

Oddometer: 3,369
Neat project!

A lot of concern about waterproofing... Verizon just released a waterproof Android phone called the "commando" built by Casio. I've got an older casio ruggedized model and I've nothing really bad to say about it.

This just might be the reason to upgrade I've been looking for
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2011, 07:29 AM   #48
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Benron is right to worry about weatherproofing. That is important for any motorcycling product. The idea of getting a special weatherproof android device seems antithetical to my stated goal of bringing the cost down and convenience up for dual sport GPS tools. If I had need for a hardened phone already, then that seems reasonable but otherwise a Garmin Montana might make more sense to me if I was going to buy another gizmo. Of course, I don't want to do that again.

That brings me to you guys for help. Any ideas for how I can weatherproof a thumb joystick and some buttons? I can prototype it electronically, but I don't have any good ideas on how to deliver a product usable in the real world. What would be perfect is some device that already does what I need in a weatherproof package. Something designed for another purpose and mass-produced so our costs can be kept down. It needs a hat-switch for panning and some buttons. Ideas appreciated.
Old 06-01-2011, 09:03 AM   #49
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,652
seems like something for boats would be weather/waterproof/resistant. I haven't found anything yet though....
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
beechum1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2011, 07:13 PM   #50
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Any ideas for how I can weatherproof a thumb joystick and some buttons?
Maybe something like this with its rubber button cover set into a switch housing with RTV silicon as a sealer around it.

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/replace...ule-black-3373

http://www.dealextreme.com/p/replace...piece-set-2752
HogWild is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 06:45 AM   #51
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

I ended up getting an xBox analog joystick rather than a psp. I'm thinking that if I mount it snug with an o-ring and grease we will get good life out of it. The buttons should be pretty easy to weatherproof comparatively.

Parts arrive next week I think and I'll be working on a remote prototype. I didn't get a GPS module or magnetometer (compass) yet, but I am considering both. An external GPS module will run about $80 and the compass about $50. The compass is great because it is a highly accurate direction circuit regardless of speed. It would be sensitive to the moving of the bars though...
Old 06-06-2011, 07:28 AM   #52
Jäger
Osons

Oddometer: 709
Quote:
The compass is great because it is a highly accurate direction circuit regardless of speed. It would be sensitive to the moving of the bars though...
If it works like a real compass, it is going to be more sensitive to masses of nearby metal (like a motorcycle - and why we swing the compasses on vessels), nearby electronic fields from electric motors, wiring, etc.

How sensitive I have no idea.
Jäger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 07:59 AM   #53
dpifko
Can u smell the It's Its?

Oddometer: 323
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jäger View Post
If it works like a real compass, it is going to be more sensitive to masses of nearby metal (like a motorcycle - and why we swing the compasses on vessels), nearby electronic fields from electric motors, wiring, etc.

How sensitive I have no idea.
True, though since the display doesn't have to be in the same place as the sensor, you could hang the compass in a more plastic-y area.

Someone really needs to invent/discover shielding for magnetism.

AVAILABLE NOW - ANDROID version: Greatest Drive
dpifko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 10:54 AM   #54
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Some magnetometers can be calibrated for nearby iron masses, while others cannot. Those that can are generally more expensive (by several times). The $50-60 models do not. If I pick one up, I'll report my real world experience. If the magnetometer is parked up on the bars with the phone and it works then it will be a great feature for those interested in the cost. If it doesn't work, I doubt anyone including myself would have interest paying $300 for a compass that works when you aren't moving.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:04 AM   #55
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Some magnetometers can be calibrated for nearby iron masses, while others cannot. Those that can are generally more expensive (by several times). The $50-60 models do not. If I pick one up, I'll report my real world experience. If the magnetometer is parked up on the bars with the phone and it works then it will be a great feature for those interested in the cost. If it doesn't work, I doubt anyone including myself would have interest paying $300 for a compass that works when you aren't moving.
I typed all this out a few hours ago, and lost it, so i'll try again now that i'm calm... :)

If the placement does affect the reading by x degrees, then perhaps the two most ineffectual positions would be on a top box or the tip of a windscreen. I don't know the size of one of these pickups, but maybe a wire running down the edges of the windscreen.... Both of which are inconvenient in their own reasons....
Mention to HogWild which way the wind is blowing where you're at, wait 20 minutes, and he'll post a picture of the intersection your at and a Google Earth route of how to get there.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:09 AM   #56
mrphotoman
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 811
A ziplock bag (or 2 to be safe) works great to waterproof your phone or another option, I bought a waterproof handlebar mount off ebay (same one sold on amazon and walmart.com) for $22.00 and it works great.
mrphotoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #57
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrphotoman View Post
I bought a waterproof handlebar mount off ebay (same one sold on amazon and walmart.com) for $22.00 and it works great.
That's what I'm going to do.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:36 AM   #58
beechum1
Beastly Adventurer

this one?
Old 06-06-2011, 11:46 AM   #59
craftycoder OP
Android GPS Software

Quote:
Originally Posted by beechum1 View Post
Yep. I'm going to stick the remote control electronics module in there too (if possible). The buttons and joystick will be on the bars, attached via cable, of course.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #60
HogWild
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,518
The Garmin 60CSx has a built-in magnetic compass which works fine while mounted on motorcycles. And if "calibration" were needed, Crafty's own code could include that function. I'd think the difference between magnetic North and true North might be a bigger annoyance, though that too could be corrected to some degree in software.
HogWild is online now   Reply With Quote