Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2011, 06:24 AM   #16
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Maybe she was stroking out.

What I don't get is how often commuters want to "race" me. Does a vstrom with a barn door and side cases look that fast? (maybe it doesn't and that's the point?)

I wouldn't mind as they're free to go ahead and look for cops, but as often as not they'll pace me waiting for the race to start. I hate having cars right beside me.
Shouldn't a Strom be able to leave most cars standing anyhow? I know that my CX can and it's 30 years old. I've had ricers in their civics callously change lanes to try and get around me at a light...just for me to take off as soon as it turns green. I hear their little engines screaming, and I'm shifting before I even need to and still lightyears ahead of them.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:27 AM   #17
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Oddometer: 2,044
Quote:
Originally Posted by King_Panther13 View Post
Shouldn't a Strom be able to leave most cars standing anyhow? I know that my CX can and it's 30 years old. I've had ricers in their civics callously change lanes to try and get around me at a light...just for me to take off as soon as it turns green. I hear their little engines screaming, and I'm shifting before I even need to and still lightyears ahead of them.
It -can- but I don't like to, most days - at least not when already 7mph over the limit surrounded by traffic.

Stoplights are a different story.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:38 AM   #18
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
And then H- let it rip with the Stebel Horn right into the guy's left ear.

Apparently the guy nearly shit his pants and swerved so hard to the right (to get away from the sound) that he damn near hit the curb.

Ima gonna need to buy one of those things.

Thanks for the morning chuckle.
Old 06-09-2011, 06:58 AM   #19
MotoTex
Miles of Smiles

Oddometer: 1,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Maybe she was stroking out.

What I don't get is how often commuters want to "race" me. Does a vstrom with a barn door and side cases look that fast? (maybe it doesn't and that's the point?)

I wouldn't mind as they're free to go ahead and look for cops, but as often as not they'll pace me waiting for the race to start. I hate having cars right beside me.
Me too.

Sometimes I'll play briefly to appear to be "in the race," then fall back to let them think they've won against the bike, just to let them run point for me.

Every now and then I get the satisfaction of seeing how they have successfully used their most excellent racing skillz to lasso themselves some attention from the local constabulary.

I must admit it feels pretty good when that happens.

This is The Internet. Confirm for yourself anything you may see while visiting this strange and uncertain land.

MotoTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 AM   #20
ivantheterrible
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
I leave my house pretty early in the morning to get to work. I have a somewhat flexible schedule and I'm a morning person.

I work at Duke U and it's really quiet and slow in the summer anyway, but this morning on my way in I didn't see a single car on my favorite stretch of road through Duke forest, so I pushed it a little. There are some fun little curves on this road, nothing great or worth bragging about, but fun. It was really neat having the road to myself. . Dappled sunlight shone through the trees and on the road. There was a light cool early morning mist.

When I got to work, I parked my bike and came inside and exchanged pleasantries with the security guard, who's also a rider. Then I had a hot cup of coffee and wrote an email to my wife about my wonderful ride in.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:05 AM   #21
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
I leave my house pretty early in the morning to get to work. I have a somewhat flexible schedule and I'm a morning person.

I work at Duke U and it's really quiet and slow in the summer anyway, but this morning on my way in I didn't see a single car on my favorite stretch of road through Duke forest, so I pushed it a little. There are some fun little curves on this road, nothing great or worth bragging about, but fun. It was really neat having the road to myself. . Dappled sunlight shone through the trees and on the road. There was a light cool early morning mist.

When I got to work, I parked my bike and came inside and exchanged pleasantries with the security guard, who's also a rider. Then I had a hot cup of coffee and wrote an email to my wife about my wonderful ride in.
Hmm... 751 after us-70? :)
Old 06-09-2011, 09:10 AM   #22
InTheSticks
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 211
I never do this, but this time I did........
I was at a stoplight in Sacramento in my Subaru Forester (turbo) and a hopped up Camaro pulls up 2 lanes over and a small red tuner car pulls up in the lane between us. The guy in the Camaro is revving his engine and inching ahead, the tuner car is doing the same thing, I know what's going to happen next.....
Light turns green and I nail it, the Camaro gets about 2 car lengths on me, but, I'm ahead of the tuner car before we all slow down.
I'm not sure if the the guy in the tuner car was pissed that he got beat by 2 retirees in a silver station wagon.......but, my wife sure was pissed at me
'04 KTM 200EXC (plated)
+ '07 Jeep Wrangler X (my 4 person quad, street legal too ...)
InTheSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:16 AM   #23
ivantheterrible
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 480
Yes, 751 after 70. Not a long road, but fun when it's all yours!
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:19 AM   #24
fast4d
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,009
OP's story does not sound like fun to me. don't like playing chicken with cages. this is why I ride a bike with > 100hp....to get away from a-hole drivers like that.
2000 Kawasaki ZRX1100
2013 KTM SMT 990
fast4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:25 AM   #25
Chromer
Not going gentle

Oddometer: 885
Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheSticks View Post
I never do this, but this time I did........
I was at a stoplight in Sacramento in my Subaru Forester (turbo) and a hopped up Camaro pulls up 2 lanes over and a small red tuner car pulls up in the lane between us. The guy in the Camaro is revving his engine and inching ahead, the tuner car is doing the same thing, I know what's going to happen next.....
Light turns green and I nail it, the Camaro gets about 2 car lengths on me, but, I'm ahead of the tuner car before we all slow down.
I'm not sure if the the guy in the tuner car was pissed that he got beat by 2 retirees in a silver station wagon.......but, my wife sure was pissed at me
Heh. The 1st year manual ones with the 4.44 final drive were ridiculously quick. Even the current ones are quicker than a tall wagon has any right to be. Total sleepers.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:30 AM   #26
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,441
Quote:
Originally Posted by fast4d View Post
OP's story does not sound like fun to me. don't like playing chicken with cages. this is why I ride a bike with > 100hp....to get away from a-hole drivers like that.

I had an escape route.
Old 06-09-2011, 10:46 AM   #27
samadams0824
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Heading home from school,

car in front of me signals right and pulls to curb and stops.

Then without warning, as I draw level with the car it pulls left across the lane to turn down side street on the left, signalling only after they've crossed the centre line.

If I was in the cage I'd have been in an accident.

As it was I was able to scrub off enough speed and thread the needle between their back bumper and the sidewalk.

Honk and shrug... what can you do?
samadams0824 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 10:55 AM   #28
ADW
'tard bike restos

Oddometer: 514
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinlandThumper View Post
And then H- let it rip with the Stebel Horn right into the guy's left ear.

Apparently the guy nearly shit his pants and swerved so hard to the right (to get away from the sound) that he damn near hit the curb.

Ima gonna need to buy one of those things.
Don't bother unless you're never going to get near dirt or mud or water with one. I crapped out my 3rd one (1st was my initial purchase, lasted about 2 months, 2nd was warranty replacement for #1) about a month ago. Never again. Unless you keep them perfectly dry, clean, and safe, they go belly up within a couple months of getting them.

And yes, I have it wired properly, direct to the battery, correct gauge wiring, etc. etc. etc.

Stebels suck huge ass; they're great for the first 6 beeps, then go downhill from there until they piss you off and die with a whimper.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:06 AM   #29
ph0rk
Doesn't Care

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
Yes, 751 after 70. Not a long road, but fun when it's all yours!
You have gotta take us 10 then, too if you aren't already.

Take 86 or old 86 down to us 10, take that to 70, only about 10 feet of 70 before 751:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&sour...9&ie=UTF8&z=13

mucho bueno
Old 06-09-2011, 11:13 AM   #30
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 977
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishyhead View Post
Don't play games with cagers.
Agreed. It's just not worth the additional risk, DAKEZ. Granted, you weren't playing games so much as holding your line. Still, right of way can mean little when the other driver has right of mass.

A driver passed me on the shoulder recently, when there was no compelling reason to do so. I could have damaged his car at the stoplight and made an easy escape. Instead, I took the first right turn to put some distance between us.
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote