Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-09-2011, 11:16 AM   #31
YetiGS
No Talent Ass Clown

Oddometer: 7,314
One crazy commute was when two Marines in a Ford Taurus decided to ride my ass for no reason. I was going plenty fast in the left lane when they came flying up on me. I signalled and moved over to the right to get out of their way but apparently not fast enough for them because they changed lanes too and started riding my ass. (Maybe it was my "Alumni U.S. Marines" license plate frame? ) I changed lanes again, trying to let them by, but they changeed right behind me. This happened four or five times until I changed lanes for the last time.

Unfortunately for them, I was changing lanes to split the traffic that had suddenly slowed big time right in front of us. I heard the scream of brakes and BAM!! they rear-ended a car that had stopped.

Didn't look too bad so I kept going. I guess they were so intent on fucking with me that they weren't paying attention to what was going on ahead of us. I was glad they got screwed but felt bad for the person they rear-ended.
"You had better bring an extra magazine. Yeti's amped up on weird shit are hard to bring down." Lonestar2112
YetiGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:24 AM   #32
SinFrenas
banal leakage

Oddometer: 959
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADW View Post
Don't bother unless you're never going to get near dirt or mud or water with one. I crapped out my 3rd one (1st was my initial purchase, lasted about 2 months, 2nd was warranty replacement for #1) about a month ago. Never again. Unless you keep them perfectly dry, clean, and safe, they go belly up within a couple months of getting them.

And yes, I have it wired properly, direct to the battery, correct gauge wiring, etc. etc. etc.

Stebels suck huge ass; they're great for the first 6 beeps, then go downhill from there until they piss you off and die with a whimper.

did you filter the intake like it says to? shoot some penetrant/lube up there every once in a while? install it with a fuse & relay thingy? mine lasted 2 years on the klr, rain & dirt roads & everything.

a stebel is mandatory equipment for me; if they crapped out every month i'd still keep running them. $35 is a small price to pay for sweeping people back out of your lane...

"Life is a good thing. It's a better thing when you have a bike." -Gaspipe
SinFrenas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:52 AM   #33
ivantheterrible
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 505
Hey phOrk- yes us 10 is one of my favorites. It's the first leg of my commute, then 751. Almost no traffic in the morning, and very little on my commute home.
ivantheterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:02 PM   #34
pretbek
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 864
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivantheterrible View Post
I leave my house pretty early in the morning to get to work. I have a somewhat flexible schedule and I'm a morning person.

I work at Duke U and it's really quiet and slow in the summer anyway, but this morning on my way in I didn't see a single car on my favorite stretch of road through Duke forest, so I pushed it a little. There are some fun little curves on this road, nothing great or worth bragging about, but fun. It was really neat having the road to myself. . Dappled sunlight shone through the trees and on the road. There was a light cool early morning mist.

When I got to work, I parked my bike and came inside and exchanged pleasantries with the security guard, who's also a rider. Then I had a hot cup of coffee and wrote an email to my wife about my wonderful ride in.

...So nothing good or fun happened?
You need to write about battling with other cars, have you not read a single post in this thread!?
I actually wish my commute was like yours. Mine is one of those 15 mph on the highway kind of deals, because of the time that I need to leave.

Traffic around here is quite well-behaved too, so I have very few interesting commuting stories to tell.
The last "event" was when I was still riding my Honda ST1100

which by that time had a 4"x10" decal on both side panels:

The two South-bound lanes were doing their usual 15-20 mph and the passenger in the pickup to the left of me did a double-take, said something to the driver and yelled at me
"Hey, is that a Harley?"
me: "Yeah, it's a prototype for next year's model. I am test riding it."
Passenger dude speaks to the driver again and both nod knowingly and interestedly.
Passenger dude turned to tell me to say "Really? ...Cool." and stare at my bike again with a confused look as I was laughing out loud in my helmet.
pretbek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:41 PM   #35
Kevinhooa
Pitch pine slalom

Oddometer: 420
Lots of crazy stories in here!

I have a 70-80 mile round trip commute through some pretty crazy and fast traffic. One day heading home through a huge construction zone a lady that was supposed to yield didn't and cut me off. I honked, and swerved and she acted like I surprised her because she never even checked if anything was coming. Whatever, it's South Jersey traffic and people do stupid stuff all the time, I'm used to it. I pull up behind her at the next light and she is constantly checking her rear view mirror like she's nervous I'm going to do something. I smile because I think that's funny, and at the next turnoff I head another direction off the main road and on my merry way. The side road I took a really just a bypass to avoid the crazy traffic through a town and after 4 miles or so and a short trail it puts me back on another side road still parallel to the main road. At least 10 miles after that close call I ease onto the throttle onto this quiet side road and end up right back behind that same lady that cut me off before. I think she almost shit herself. Her eyes looked huge when I came up behind her again and as I went to pass she slowed up at least 15 slower than the speed limit and had this terrified look on her face. If she wasn't nervous about me before she definitely was now.

Too funny. What were the chances? I bet she'll look a little closer before she just pulls out next time.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:43 PM   #36
chef_of_the_future
You talking to me?

Oddometer: 263
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
This seemed to anger Mercedes dude as he sped up again flashing his headlights. buy this time I am nearing my exit so I signaled and changed lanes to the right and slowed to match the slower speed of the traffic in the right lane when Mercedes dude zooms up beside me again thinking he is scaring me. If he had known how hard I was laughing behind my Full-faced helmet I think he would have exploded.

It was the most entertaining commute in the last year!!! Damn riding is fun.

Stupid risky driving is not entertaining its the mark of an Oh wait ...you had an escape route AND you signiled your lane change so driving like a dick was OK ? . You should stay off the road unless you can get professional help for your road rage. Now that you have "taught" the mercedes driver a lesson he will be sure to treat all other motorcycles riders with similar disrespect Good job!

2007 1200GS
chef_of_the_future is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 12:44 PM   #37
hellfire76
haphazard adventurer

Oddometer: 700
I was riding home from work on a four lane interstate. Moron is sitting in the left lane going five under the speed limit. I move to the right behind a truck and then to the right again to go around the truck. Just as I get near the front of the truck I come up behind another one. So now there is one in front of me and one to my left. Next thing I know there is another truck on my right and another one comes up behind me.
Sons of bitches literally boxed me in. They stayed like that for a few minutes (seemed like forever). That was a scary situation, I'm sure the truck drives got a good laugh out of it.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:56 PM   #38
Dismount
Boring bastard

Oddometer: 8,656
Quote:
Originally Posted by ph0rk View Post
Maybe she was stroking out.

What I don't get is how often commuters want to "race" me. Does a vstrom with a barn door and side cases look that fast? (maybe it doesn't and that's the point?)

I wouldn't mind as they're free to go ahead and look for cops, but as often as not they'll pace me waiting for the race to start. I hate having cars right beside me.
The front end is kinda pointy. That's all it takes.

People used to want to race my 600 katana too.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:13 PM   #39
DAKEZ OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 19,489
Quote:
Originally Posted by chef_of_the_future View Post
Stupid risky driving is not entertaining its the mark of an Oh wait ...you had an escape route AND you signiled your lane change so driving like a dick was OK ? . You should stay off the road unless you can get professional help for your road rage. Now that you have "taught" the mercedes driver a lesson he will be sure to treat all other motorcycles riders with similar disrespect Good job!
No "risky" "dick" "raging" on my part. Just riding and not allowing an agressive prick to intimidate me.
Old 06-09-2011, 01:39 PM   #40
lemieuxmc
Banned

Oddometer: 3,360
Sometimes it's a fine line between exercising your lawful right of way and being perceived as a dick.

Just let it go...
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:06 PM   #41
khager
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 768
Ok so here's mine. Going to work in morning rush hour traffic, 4 lane divided interstate, Im in the left lane going 40-50 mph (fast as traffic allows), older bubba truck gets on the Fwy from my right, only he doesn't stop at the right lane and he keeps coming over into my lane, obviously he doesn't see me, so I hit my horn, as I am simultaneously rolling on the throttle, and moving to the left shoulder, he realizes I am there, and jerks it back into his lane. So after I go by, he gets over into the left lane behind me, and starts tailgating me, (I think he is pissed because I blew my horn and startled him) so I tap my rear brake to try to get him to back off, he moves up closer, I tap it again, then he turns on his brights, and is now what seems like three feet off my rear tire, we are probably doing 30-40 mph now as traffic is slowing, up ahead traffic is stopped, I shot right up the middle without hitting my brakes until I was 3 or 4 cars up. I heard screeching tires, looked in my mirrors to see Bubba 90 degrees to the car in front of him, lifted up my face shield as the smoke drifted by, ahhhh love the smell of fresh rubber in the morning.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #42
dbuzz
Citizen of the world

Oddometer: 1,246
It was a lovely day as I headed home from the salt mine along with 3/4 of the population. Friday afternoons are like that. Traffic was heavy but flowing well along 4 lanes. The sun was shining and the birds were singing and I was in a tralalalala mood just mooching along at the speed limit. Then ... splosh .... some liquid hits the ground just in front of me after issuing out the passenger window of the trayback ute in front ...

WTF and I prepared to evade the container that would be sailing out the window next.... Hmmm no container ... thinks 'nobnut' and went back to tralalala mode.

Splosh ...splosh .... out the window of the ute ... splosh .....

OMFG .... thats vomit

did it get me ... oh yuk, oh kak ... oh eeeeeuw

The benefits of a decent following gap are now clear to me
dbuzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:42 PM   #43
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow

Oddometer: 253
Traveling southbound on I-77 south of Beckley, WV.

Speed limit is 70mph.

Grade at the I-64 interchange forces big rigs to slow to 55 or less.

Michigan plated SUV (Ford Expedition) towing a trailer is in left lane riding next to a big rig, and matching it's slowing speed - backing up left lane traffic behind it. I-64 west merges into I-77 south and adds a far left lane for a thousand yards, so I pulled into that lane and when parallel to the driver of the SUV, I looked over, he looked at me and I made a repetative jerking motion with my left hand in the vicinity of my crotch.

I then proceeded at the speed limit and distanced him by about a 1/4 mile after moving into the right lane.

He finally passed the big truck and merged into the right lane behind me.

Saw him gaining speed in my mirrors, then he whipped left and passed me at a high rate of speed, cut in front of me and then almost lost control with his trailer swaying all over the place when he had to hit the brakes to make a curve.

He was being pushed by his trailer back and forth across the two lanes for about half a mile before he finally got it slowed back down and steady in one lane.

After he slowed, I passed him again at the speed limit and he disappeared behind me.

Guess he didn't like being called (pantomined) a jerk-off for obliviously obstructing the 'passing' lane, but he obviously scared himself pretty good when he couldn't control his rig on the road in question.

Wolf
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 06:42 PM   #44
WVhillbilly
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,248
He probably forgot he had the trailer back there bet he remembered in a hurry when it started yanking him around.
WVhillbilly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 07:43 PM   #45
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 605
Today I had one that got me worked up for a little while..which hasn't happened in a long time.

Coming down a two lane road in a residential/somewhat commercial area and some asswipe in a white SUV decides that he needs to turn left and go through me to get onto his road. I lay on my horn, and he stops, though I never slowed down (slowing down would have guaranteed hitting him, maintaining speed or speeding up would have squeezed me by).

So I'm already a bit stirred up, amazed at how you can have such a huge field of vision, but be so stupid to not see something as easy to see as a motorcycle. Then at the next damn intersection/light, not even ten seconds had passed, and some WHALE of a woman in a tiny little sports car came skidding in the right turn lane, and just barely stopped before turning in front of me. Now I was a bit pissed, as I had to use my horn twice in the time frame of a minute -.-.

So coming up to the light after that, I turn into the left turning lane, and see the Whale cut out of the line of traffic and come up behind me at breakneck speed...just to do the classic "stop really fast an inch from someone's rear" that most Florida drivers practice. So I tried a "trick" that I've read on these forums....I started backing up. Not enough to touch her car, but enough to tell her "back off, fatass."

Light turns green, I took off, and get in line for the next light (these lights are spaced way too closely -.-). I see her come around slowly, and I position myself to split lanes just in case. She of course speeds up when she gets on the straight road...that leads to the LINE OF STOPPED CARS AT THE RED LIGHT. And then performs her "stop an inch from the rear" trick again. I was furious. I figured at this point, either she just didn't get it, or she was SO fat that her car was unable to stop her fat carcass in a decent amount of time.

This time I backed up enough to rest on her bumper, looked back and did a "WTF IS WRONG WITH YOU?! CHOKING ON A BIG MAC OR SOMETHING?!" gesture. So of course after the light turns green, she's tailgating me. This is one of the worst roads in existence that I'm on....everybody will line up bumper to bumper in the left lane doing five under, and the right lane will contain either people trying to pass the idiots in the left at breakneck speeds, or the people doing about fifteen under.

I wanted to get away from who was obviously a danger to me, so I got in behind a "breakneck passer" who then turned into a "15 under cruiser" ended up getting back into the left lane....tried passing again, but AGAIN stuck behind a "15 under cruiser" and then thought "forget this" and split (there was plenty of space...and no, I don't have that bad perception of my own speed, I was glancing at my speedo the whole time. The left lane truly was going five under at most). I had to turn right anyhow at the light that was approaching, so it worked out.

Saw Shamu in my mirrors, but was able to make it through a yellow thus ending the madness of just another Florida driver.

After this whole ordeal I felt mad for the first time in a while after a ride. It took me a bit to calm down, but ugh...the ignorance of some people really gets on my nerves. I understand that I was being a nuisance when I had to speed+split to get away from Shamu, but I honestly did not feel safe around her for both of our sakes...as if I would have had her next to me at a light, it would have been really hard to resist the urge to give her a nice dent in her door. She was an obvious danger after witnessing her stop late, and after the incessant tailgating. Some people just don't get it.

Yeah I could've pulled over and let her pass, keyboard warriors. But I didn't want one overweight ignoramus make me late for class.

Lessons learned: Hurry up and install my damn stebel. Filtering is good. Even though it's illegal, just use it to get away from the morons and the unsafe. Oh, and don't get worked up so much anymore. I should be used to this by now >,>. My anger didn't do much to help the situation. It's just been a while that I've had one *this* bad.
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is offline   Reply With Quote