ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Fluff > Sports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 515 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 11:08 AM   #20611
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
oddly, the manufacturer of said tires doesn't list a x35. they have a 37-622 aka 28x1.40.
http://www.schwalbetires.com/node/2180
Whomever does their tire sizing/listing needs to lay off
I just browsed a couple other tires they offer, and that same 37-622 is also a 700x35 on another model. I mean, WTF? Seriously, this kind of shit is aggravating as hell.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:19 AM   #20612
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Whomever does their tire sizing/listing needs to lay off
I just browsed a couple other tires they offer, and that same 37-622 is also a 700x35 on another model. I mean, WTF? Seriously, this kind of shit is aggravating as hell.
like I said, I had some Michelin City "700x40" that were 42-622 which is 700x42. wtf?!?

I do wish bike tire makers would give numbers like actual diameter, and sidewall width at a nominal pressure on a nominal rim width suited to the size tire, the way car tire makers have to legally.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:30 AM   #20613
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Whomever does their tire sizing/listing needs to lay off
I just browsed a couple other tires they offer, and that same 37-622 is also a 700x35 on another model. I mean, WTF? Seriously, this kind of shit is aggravating as hell.
If you don't mind making your way up to the cities, we have some VERY knowledgeable people in the local shops. The Hub, or Freewheel, to name a couple.... Pick their brain for actual sizes of tires.
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:39 AM   #20614
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
like I said, I had some Michelin City "700x40" that were 42-622 which is 700x42. wtf?!?

I do wish bike tire makers would give numbers like actual diameter, and sidewall width at a nominal pressure on a nominal rim width suited to the size tire, the way car tire makers have to legally.
Yeah, it would make things simpler for everyone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mud View Post
If you don't mind making your way up to the cities, we have some VERY knowledgeable people in the local shops. The Hub, or Freewheel, to name a couple.... Pick their brain for actual sizes of tires.
I got this last bike from Freewheel in the Cedar/Riverside area. When I take it back for a tune-up, I'll see what they have to say about tires.
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:41 AM   #20615
bergermeister
housin'
 
bergermeister's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: CA
Oddometer: 2,087
does anyone have any advice on straightening a rear steel dropout? I have one that is slightly tweaked and won't allow the wheel to sit straight. I know there's a Park deraileur alignment tool, but I don't want to throw down a few hundred just for a one off issue.

the local bike shops sell a lot in the $3k and up range and can't be bothered to help.

Thanks for any info!
bergermeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:53 AM   #20616
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
I got this last bike from Freewheel in the Cedar/Riverside area. When I take it back for a tune-up, I'll see what they have to say about tires.
Good shop. Make sure you do it on a non-busy day. You will get more attention that way.
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 11:55 AM   #20617
mud
I just wander.....
 
mud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Roseville, MN
Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
does anyone have any advice on straightening a rear steel dropout? I have one that is slightly tweaked and won't allow the wheel to sit straight. I know there's a Park deraileur alignment tool, but I don't want to throw down a few hundred just for a one off issue.

the local bike shops sell a lot in the $3k and up range and can't be bothered to help.

Thanks for any info!
__________________
2007 Factory Husaberg 380FE
1984 Husqvarna 500AE
mud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 12:17 PM   #20618
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,960
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
does anyone have any advice on straightening a rear steel dropout? I have one that is slightly tweaked and won't allow the wheel to sit straight. I know there's a Park deraileur alignment tool, but I don't want to throw down a few hundred just for a one off issue.

the local bike shops sell a lot in the $3k and up range and can't be bothered to help.

Thanks for any info!
I've had minor success with my bench vise and some soft jaw covers, or sandwiched between thin pieces of soft wood to protect the frame. Just have to know your strength, use a little leverage in the right place and it should come out fine. I would not do it on an aluminum frame, but steel is much easier to work with.
__________________
Correlation does not imply causation.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:46 PM   #20619
pierce
Aven'Tourer
 
pierce's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2003
Location: S'Cruz
Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by bergermeister View Post
does anyone have any advice on straightening a rear steel dropout? I have one that is slightly tweaked and won't allow the wheel to sit straight. I know there's a Park deraileur alignment tool, but I don't want to throw down a few hundred just for a one off issue.

the local bike shops sell a lot in the $3k and up range and can't be bothered to help.

Thanks for any info!
large crescent wrench, and eyeball it. use the wheel to verify its close.

if the wheel is cocked up by the bottom bracket, you may need to tweak the rear triangles, sheldonbrown.com has a page showing how to 'cold set' a steel frame with a sturdy 2x4, and verify alignment with a string... works well enough. I'd verify the string alignment of the rear triangles (and the spacing between the dropouts), THEN use the crescent wrench method to make them eyeball parallel such that the wheel axle nuts sit squarely.
__________________
Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want.
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:23 AM   #20620
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer
 
trailer Rails's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Oddometer: 4,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whl-hoop View Post
Ok, thanks for explaining that.

These are some of the tires I was specifically looking at:
http://www.universalcycles.com/shopp...9&category=782

They say 700x35, but I guess w/o actually looking at the tire you can't really tell...

Not sure if going to a 38 would be worth it. I'll have to go to some shops and look tires mounted on bikes to get an idea of the different sizes.
Those are nice tires but 890 grams is a lot of weight.

Check out these tires from specialized: Nearly half the weight, Armadillo casing, and 120tpi for a great ride.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=57472

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=57077

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=58023

You dont need tread to ride crushed limestone trails.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 05:28 AM   #20621
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer
 
trailer Rails's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Pittsburgh PA
Oddometer: 4,908
This is one of my favorites: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=57655

Only 360grams with a armadillo casing!
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:09 AM   #20622
2whl-hoop
Beastly Adventurer
 
2whl-hoop's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2008
Location: Cottage Grove, the ragged edge of suburbia, MN
Oddometer: 1,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Those are nice tires but 890 grams is a lot of weight.

Check out these tires from specialized: Nearly half the weight, Armadillo casing, and 120tpi for a great ride.

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=57472

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=57077

http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=58023

You dont need tread to ride crushed limestone trails.
Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
This is one of my favorites: http://www.specialized.com/us/en/bc/...jsp?spid=57655

Only 360grams with a armadillo casing!
Yeah, those all look pretty good. It would be nice to lose a little weight, too. I don't really ride crushed Limestone paths much, but I've been riding graded dirt/gravel roads. I don't need much tread, but some tread would be nice if the road turns a little mucky. I should probably just run the tires that are on it now for the summer, they're not bad, just a little wide...
2whl-hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 12:52 PM   #20623
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless
 
Gummee!'s Avatar
 
Joined: May 2004
Location: NoVA for now...
Oddometer: 28,826
3-ish hours on the bike today. Say -ish cause about halfway thru, my #$%# computer decides to try and re-set itself and goes to the 'choose a language' screen. Since I haven't been able to figger out HowTF to get out of it (the 'set' button ain't setting shit) I lost the first half of the ride. Normally that wouldn't be too much of an issue, but I was in the middle of 2on/2off intervals!

Recovered from those and did ~30min of 34-ish kph tempo into a sidewind.

Legs feel dead. Good thing tomorrow's UW Hockey then a day or two of easier rides!

M
__________________
I'm a cyclist that rides motos, not a moto rider that rides bicycles.
Gummee! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 01:40 PM   #20624
Ridge
Sinister Kid
 
Ridge's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2006
Location: Searching...
Oddometer: 1,960
Ooof... my legs are tingling and cussing me right now. Early summer century with the club turned into a 112 mile sufferfest with me playing the part of point man/local sap dumb enough to pull all the whiners so they don't get lost.

19.6mph average with a normalized power of 242 watts. I'm a dumbass of epic proportions for pushing that hard in this heat. Lost almost 6 pounds post-ride. Luckily there is a beer-n-food festival in Durham I'm attending with friends later. Nap time, then back to it...
__________________
Correlation does not imply causation.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:49 PM   #20625
Signal
Cynical Idealist
 
Signal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 8,690
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridge View Post
Ooof... my legs are tingling and cussing me right now. Early summer century with the club turned into a 112 mile sufferfest with me playing the part of point man/local sap dumb enough to pull all the whiners so they don't get lost.

19.6mph average with a normalized power of 242 watts.
This is impressive
__________________
Day Trippin'- Endless Utah
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 09:19 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015