ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-10-2011, 09:33 AM   #61
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer
 
ggrjr's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: Statesville, NC
Oddometer: 963
I was riding my Strom from my parents to my new home, following my wife and girls in our lifted Expedition. This is on Hwy 40 at night. We come up behind a BMW 325 riding along in the left lane. We start to pass, wife gets by no problem, I start to pass and he speeds up. I slow down to pull in behind, as I am coming up on delivery truck in the rt lane. He slows down. This happens several times, finally my wife sees what is going on and slows down to let me catch up. I start to slow again, down shifting, as soon as the BMW starts to slow I grab about three gears and a handful of throttle, and pas him and the wife. He proceeds to change lanes and follow, however my wife has sped up to get alongside teh truck in teh rt lane. The idiot then acted like he was going to move over into my wifes lane. He held her lane and I guess he figured he would end up on the losing end and gave up. Never tried to repass teh wife once traffic opened and she moved to teh rt lane.
__________________
"If you are arguing with a fool, make sure they are not doing the same."

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 09:48 AM   #62
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft
 
IheartmyNx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville TN, no chit, police state.
Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAKEZ View Post
What is it with peeps in Black German cars?
IDK... I think they come standard in the US with the "my shit don't stink" button.

An option I've heard in other country's...

Technology obviously stolen from Jaguar and Range Rover...
__________________
Everyday IS 3/11!
Everybody's always talking out the side of their mouths about our "dependency on foreign oil", what about our dependency on cheap china crap? Who exactly again is killing our dollar?
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:16 AM   #63
lemieuxmc
Banned
 
lemieuxmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: East La Jolla... it's just Clairemont!!
Oddometer: 3,360
"Slowly walk up to her car and ask if she honked the horn"

Witnesses stated that the woman then pulled out a small handgun and fired once, the motorcyclist fell backwards onto the pavement and she accelerated away, smashing past his motorcycle and fleeing the scene. Police later took her into custody at the Wal-Mart parking lot after a 90 minute standoff.

Yeah... it COULD have ended like that!

Discretion and judgement are your friends young Jedi, use The Force wisely to flow through traffic and avoid confrontations with Asshats. Don't go to The Dark Side... unless you happen to have a badge and a gun (and maybe a GoPro on your helmet)!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:35 AM   #64
Mistress of the dual
Some say....
 
Mistress of the dual's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2009
Location: Ramona CA
Oddometer: 203
I go to work at about 5:00am when there’s not a lot of traffic on the road so it’s very easy to keep track of the few vehicles that I am sharing the road with. A couple of weeks ago I was on my F650GS making a right turn from a multi-lane road onto a 2-lane road. Halfway through my turn a guy on a sportbike passes me on the inside. I make a habit of checking my mirrors frequently but my first thought was “Ahhhhhh! Where the Hell did you come from?” My second thought was “Jeez dude, save it for the track”.
__________________
Mistress of the dual

2002 Suzuki DRZ400S, 2009 BMW F650GS
RR:The Quest for Apple Pie
RR:Pacific Coast Rambling
Mistress of the dual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #65
stubmw
some what aloof
 
stubmw's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2008
Location: Texas
Oddometer: 2,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
Dozens of them with a huge police escort stopping freeway traffic for them. We lost count at 50 something trucks. A moving van convoy with a police escort? I still haven't puzzled that one out.
No doubt moving day for one of our Senators or Congressperson......Maybe just one of their Aides...........
stubmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 10:50 AM   #66
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft
 
IheartmyNx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville TN, no chit, police state.
Oddometer: 3,841
ok, another...


I have a short commute but traffic bunches up in a few places, oddy just before a traffic light that prolly changed so one car could proceed... Well after about a million times of passing an empty parking lot that runs ajacent to part of this section, one day it dawned on me and I whipped in the private property and ran up to the next light where I made a legal right-on-red...


So flash fwd to another morning, I come up to the entrance but am too far. So to see, I position my bike to the right and rear to see around the large people mover/ homemaker-mobile.

The driver sees me and thinking I'm going to pass, proceeds to block me...

So with a little "it's on now" laugh instantly and pryor too, I already had my plan... Traffic was too tight for him/her to move up so I not-so-politely went around the now widened left and with traffic at a stand-still, I stop in front of the now overtook Toyota minnivan.


__________________
Everyday IS 3/11!
Everybody's always talking out the side of their mouths about our "dependency on foreign oil", what about our dependency on cheap china crap? Who exactly again is killing our dollar?

IheartmyNx screwed with this post 06-10-2011 at 11:00 AM
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 04:37 PM   #67
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow
 
Some Mook's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Jumping Branch, WV
Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
ok, another...


I have a short commute but traffic bunches up in a few places, oddy just before a traffic light that prolly changed so one car could proceed... Well after about a million times of passing an empty parking lot that runs ajacent to part of this section, one day it dawned on me and I whipped in the private property and ran up to the next light where I made a legal right-on-red...
You might want to double check your specific traffic codes. In many places, cutting across private property to avoid a traffic control device can result in a ticket for failing to obey a traffic control device = points and fine.

This observation comes from personal experience - I had a route where I was traveling West and needed to transition to a Southbound road. To access this road required a right turn North, then a left turn-around lane to go South. I took to proceeding West through the traffic light, then made a left turn into a parking lot, circling around the building that the parking lot serviced and making a right turn onto the southbound lane. Great plan until I, (along with several others) was ticketed for failing to obey a traffic control device - even though I had actually obeyed and ridden legally through the traffic light I was accused of disobeying.

The judge didn't want to listen to why I used private property in my travel route or that the traffic device I was accused of disobeying was actually in my rear-view mirrors after proceeding through it while the light was green, and offered to find me guilty of the original charge - 3 points and $125.00 fine, or allow me to plead guilty to 'obstructing traffic' for a no-points but $125.00 fine.

I tried to argue (with pictures) that since the parking lot in question had United States Post Office boxes situated within it, the lot by default was open to the public but it was pointed out to me (indirectly) that as a dumb-ass auto mechanic I had no training or business in trying to make any legal issues out of the situation.

A few months later the entrance to the parking lot was posted to indicate 'No Left Turn' by those traveling West-bound.

Just be careful.
__________________
"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
http://www.ridingwv.com/ (Not My Site)

Wolf
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:12 PM   #68
khager
Studly Adventurer
 
Joined: Sep 2007
Location: Granbury, TX
Oddometer: 802
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggrjr View Post
I guess he figured he would end up on the losing end and gave up.

If you want to intimidate an Expedition, you might want to be in an Excursion or F350.
khager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:28 PM   #69
lemieuxmc
Banned
 
lemieuxmc's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2009
Location: East La Jolla... it's just Clairemont!!
Oddometer: 3,360
"The judge didn't want to listen to why I used private property in my travel route or that the traffic device I was accused of disobeying was actually in my rear-view mirrors after proceeding through it while the light was green, and offered to find me guilty of the original charge - 3 points and $125.00 fine, or allow me to plead guilty to 'obstructing traffic' for a no-points but $125.00 fine."

And people wonder why respect for traffic LEO's and the courts are sinking like the Titanic.

A racket is a racket, whether it's the local mobster or the State running it!
lemieuxmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2011, 06:47 PM   #70
Some Mook
Goin' Down Slow
 
Some Mook's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2009
Location: Jumping Branch, WV
Oddometer: 253
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemieuxmc View Post

And people wonder why respect for traffic LEO's and the courts are sinking like the Titanic.

A racket is a racket, whether it's the local mobster or the State running it!
I had a friend (since deceased) who was a Deputy Sheriff for the county in question, who called the arresting officer to discuss the bullshitness of the charge. The arresting officer refused to shit-can the ticket, but told my friend to tell me to just show up in court and he would recommend a no-point offense.

They want your money, plain and simple. Plus the pay for "court time".
__________________
"Ah, women. They make the highs higher and the lows more frequent."
http://www.ridingwv.com/ (Not My Site)

Wolf
Some Mook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 07:51 AM   #71
Super Sherpa
'n00b, yup I'm keeping it
 
Super Sherpa's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2010
Location: Red Deer, Alberta
Oddometer: 304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grreatdog View Post
But it was blue for God's sake. Who owns a blue piano?
A couple of months ago.............. a huge convoy of every type and company of moving van. Dozens of them with a huge police escort stopping freeway traffic for them. We lost count at 50 something trucks. A moving van convoy with a police escort? I still haven't puzzled that one out.
Elton John . As for the police escort the few months ago, I have no idea. Maybe Elton John again .
__________________
You can't ride all day if you don't start early

"You can never have too much fuel, unless you're on fire."
2000 Super Sherpa
2007 DR 650SE
Super Sherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:11 AM   #72
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft
 
IheartmyNx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville TN, no chit, police state.
Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Mook View Post
You might want to double check your specific traffic codes. In many places, cutting across private property to avoid a traffic control device can result in a ticket for failing to obey a traffic control device = points and fine.

This observation comes from personal experience - I had a route where I was traveling West and needed to transition to a Southbound road. To access this road required a right turn North, then a left turn-around lane to go South. I took to proceeding West through the traffic light, then made a left turn into a parking lot, circling around the building that the parking lot serviced and making a right turn onto the southbound lane. Great plan until I, (along with several others) was ticketed for failing to obey a traffic control device - even though I had actually obeyed and ridden legally through the traffic light I was accused of disobeying.

The judge didn't want to listen to why I used private property in my travel route or that the traffic device I was accused of disobeying was actually in my rear-view mirrors after proceeding through it while the light was green, and offered to find me guilty of the original charge - 3 points and $125.00 fine, or allow me to plead guilty to 'obstructing traffic' for a no-points but $125.00 fine.

I tried to argue (with pictures) that since the parking lot in question had United States Post Office boxes situated within it, the lot by default was open to the public but it was pointed out to me (indirectly) that as a dumb-ass auto mechanic I had no training or business in trying to make any legal issues out of the situation.

A few months later the entrance to the parking lot was posted to indicate 'No Left Turn' by those traveling West-bound.

Just be careful.

Personal experience! HA!

One, if not THEE 1st time out on my bike I got rear ended, and have the pics to prove it! The asshat then proceeds to the parking lot behind AppleBees where I block him in waiting for the cops, but get this...

They say b/c he was on PRIVATE PROPERTY and didnt witness it, it's a civil problem and they could only document what he said I did to him for a later CIVIL court date...

The guy was on a phone and almost side swiped me when he realized he was at or passing his turn, I laid on the horn b/c I wanted the person he was on the phone to hear, then he jerks the wheel 3x like he's coming and I stand my ground. I get in front and stop and he wedges my wheel under his bumper.

I get off to get pics and stand behind him to block him. I get pics of his plate and he backs into me. I wish to god I'da broke his back glass out b/c I tried so ther cops would see he intentionally backed into me...

He backs up, goes around my bike (thank god, cause I'da killed him) and pulls onto PRIVATE PROPERTY behind Applebees and I call 911 for a hit and run...

Cops do: Nothing!

The "law"? Don't count on them helping you when YOU need it, but you/we can say "illegal" when you watch a crotch rocket pass a truck going 30 then it try to kill the motorcyclist... If it makes you fell any better...
__________________
Everyday IS 3/11!
Everybody's always talking out the side of their mouths about our "dependency on foreign oil", what about our dependency on cheap china crap? Who exactly again is killing our dollar?
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:39 AM   #73
slartidbartfast
Love those blue pipes
 
slartidbartfast's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2003
Location: Southern Louisiana or Southern England or ...
Oddometer: 4,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Car or m/c, I like "laying eggs" but my GF trips out so that's out when she's on-board... (in the car)

Apperantly in Middle TN, the left lane, no matter where it is, is for the blocking and cutting off others when their right turn nears...


So I just give them back what they so graciously give to others.

I just get up front and slow right on down, to parade speed. Getting a WTF hand flip for my troubles.

Seems you have to be retarded to a certain point to drive around here.


Commuting follies? only every time I ride... Welcome to the 3rd circle of mc riding hell where only the billy bad asses on Harley's get the ok to sit at lights they can legally go through, and ride how ever and where ever they want, cause they might beat yer ass!

The guy on the mopedcrotchrocketdirtbike?

fawk him!

They blow rant rave and cuss when you filter or split here too, but not so much when you tuck in behind the asshole that doesn't obey ANY traffic laws, pays no wheel or road taxes and doesn't have a tag or even insurance... The bicyclist...
I really don't give a fuck if it amuses YOU! Deliberately altering your speed/lane position to annoy or "get back at" other road users is really, really, really STUPID and Will result in you or somebody else getting hurt one day.
__________________
MSF Ridercoach IBA: 35353 95 R1100GSA, 93 GTS1000, 85 R80RT, 93 DR350/435, 99 RX125, 78 DT100
January 2010 New Zealand South Island ride
Summer 2009 UK to Alps ride
Summer 2008 UK End-to-End ride
slartidbartfast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:47 AM   #74
King_Panther13
Studly Adventurer
 
King_Panther13's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Winter Haven, Fl
Oddometer: 605
Quote:
Originally Posted by IheartmyNx View Post
Personal experience! HA!

One, if not THEE 1st time out on my bike I got rear ended, and have the pics to prove it! The asshat then proceeds to the parking lot behind AppleBees where I block him in waiting for the cops, but get this...

They say b/c he was on PRIVATE PROPERTY and didnt witness it, it's a civil problem and they could only document what he said I did to him for a later CIVIL court date...

The guy was on a phone and almost side swiped me when he realized he was at or passing his turn, I laid on the horn b/c I wanted the person he was on the phone to hear, then he jerks the wheel 3x like he's coming and I stand my ground. I get in front and stop and he wedges my wheel under his bumper.

I get off to get pics and stand behind him to block him. I get pics of his plate and he backs into me. I wish to god I'da broke his back glass out b/c I tried so ther cops would see he intentionally backed into me...

He backs up, goes around my bike (thank god, cause I'da killed him) and pulls onto PRIVATE PROPERTY behind Applebees and I call 911 for a hit and run...

Cops do: Nothing!

The "law"? Don't count on them helping you when YOU need it, but you/we can say "illegal" when you watch a crotch rocket pass a truck going 30 then it try to kill the motorcyclist... If it makes you fell any better...
I used to have a lot of respect in cops. And I've told the following story a million times, but I'll tell it a million more.

I lost respect for the majority of cops (I still understand that there are some good ones, and still give them respect) when some asshat in a minivan was coming up on me trying to turn left at a busy intersection with no arrow. I was in my cage, with a baby in the back. Light turned yellow, and he pretty much forced me into the intersection, so I went. Baby just fell asleep, so I was in no hurry. He blew the red and tailgated me all the way to my home, two blocks away. Banged on my windows, threatened to kill me. Apparently I was trying to kill him by "slowing him down as he ran the red." I was nice to him until finally I was all "look motherfucker, if that baby wakes up and hears you screaming, he will start crying...and then I will stab you. Get the fuck over it and go away. Nobody threatens my fucking child." That's of course paraphrased (and embellished a bit, I'll admit.)

It was some overweight middle aged man. As he noticed that I wasn't kidding around, he hopped in his Town and Country and drove off. I got his tag number and called the cops. They went to his house, came back and said "Oh, well he didn't know that you had a baby in your car. He also said that you were laughing at him, so he had a right to follow you. You should have pulled over sooner, he was just teaching you a lesson! You're lucky he didn't hurt you."

I was beyond pissed. Between that light and my house there is nowhere to pull over, other than maybe the restaurant across the street from my house.

That's when I lost respect for the majority of cops. I was a bit more naive then and kept my mouth shut and told the cop to have a nice day. Now I would demand a badge number, and escalate it as far as I could. What that man did was uncalled for. But the cops just don't care. If I would have followed him to his home and banged on his windows, I would have gone to jail.
__________________
1973 Honda CB500/550 "Bombini"
1980 Honda CX500C "Roll of the Dice"
1988 Yamaha Razz "Razzberry"
1992 Yamaha Razz "Blackberry"
King_Panther13 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #75
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft
 
IheartmyNx's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2009
Location: Nashville TN, no chit, police state.
Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by slartidbartfast View Post
I really don't give a fuck if it amuses YOU! Deliberately altering your speed/lane position to annoy or "get back at" other road users is really, really, really STUPID and Will result in you or somebody else getting hurt one day.

Just how will it hurt, "somebody else"?

I'm the one on a glorified 10speed with 26hp... (that also pays for tags and insurance)

Do you have the statistical data that proves yer point? Have you done all the traffic studies? Are you yerself a traffic engineer?

(PS, IT'S THE SAME THING THEY DO, only it's them on the receiving end)
__________________
Everyday IS 3/11!
Everybody's always talking out the side of their mouths about our "dependency on foreign oil", what about our dependency on cheap china crap? Who exactly again is killing our dollar?
IheartmyNx is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:09 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014