Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-07-2011, 11:16 AM   #16
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,245
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoneer View Post
Ever since I saw Tommy Avhala kicking ass on one at the Watkins Glen World Round back in '94(?) I've lusted for a Climber.

I've seen this Rochester based bike in person and can tell you that it is in very, very good shape. I seriously considered purchasing it and the wheeler dealer in me made an offer which wasn't accepted (probably rightfully so).

Like you I'm concerned about parts availability over time as there are some parts that the Climbers use on a regular basis (fork seals for instance) that won't be getting any easier to source.

But Man they are cool bikes.......
Did Mike happen to mention what the selling price will be for these bikes?

I wonder about LowPSI's question as well, wonder why they didnt to DID?

I love the idea of FI as well, tired of guessing at altitude settings, however no altitude settings needed in KANSAS (LOL), but it has slowed my attempts to other venues, like RMTA, & NMTA.

Last questions, since your OP, you said you dont ride trials, so my question is how are you breaking frames on the (rhymes with ass ass) bikes? I weighed close to 280 lbs and ride as much as 5 times a week, and compete year round! (my weight was a year ago) I've never so much as bent the kickstand... on 5 gasgas pro's... I admit, I am not doing 6ft dropps either but with all that riding, and I ride hard too, at my level and so on.

Anyway, you doing tripple jumps and backflips on these things?

thanks, I like the write up as well.

PS, I still would love to ride one, and do a write up myself, being a decent upper intermediate (below expert or sportsman) rider...

Sting32 screwed with this post 06-07-2011 at 11:22 AM
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 11:50 AM   #17
ArcticEd
Whatya mean,"noob" ?

Oddometer: 34
I wouldn't worry about stuff like seals and bearings.. You can easily get that stuff from any bearing supply place.. Like Erie on Kaman..
All you need is the number off of the part in question (bearing or seals usually have the number on them) and probably get them a pantload cheaper than from a motorcycle dealer, although if you went to most any japanese bike shop that has a parts peson who's head isn't up their ass, they can usually hook you up too on simple stuff like that.
ArcticEd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:07 PM   #18
Rokoneer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
Did Mike happen to mention what the selling price will be for these bikes?

Anyway, you doing tripple jumps and backflips on these things?

PS, I still would love to ride one, and do a write up myself, being a decent upper intermediate (below expert or sportsman) rider...
I think Mike said $8299, but you'd need to email or call him to be sure. He's sold one already, which was at the shop waiting to be picked up.

It's been at least ten years since I broke a frame. You and I are around the same weight and the two bikes I had frame issues with were early-mid 90's models, nothing current. One frame right at the steering head and one about a foot back from there, and only one of the bikes was mine. Once you do something like that you become very aware of it having happened every single time you climb on another trials bike regardless, and the frame tubes are so friggin' small on the OSSA I was being mighty careful.

I imagine once the remaining OSSA's that were brought in (supposedly 20 total) hit the ground on the west coast we'll be seeing some riding impressions from better riders than I fo' sho'. I'm very curious to see what they have to say about the bike.
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:25 PM   #19
2whlrcr
gooligan

Oddometer: 5,312
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArcticEd View Post
I wouldn't worry about stuff like seals and bearings.. You can easily get that stuff from any bearing supply place.. Like Erie on Kaman..
All you need is the number off of the part in question (bearing or seals usually have the number on them) and probably get them a pantload cheaper than from a motorcycle dealer, although if you went to most any japanese bike shop that has a parts peson who's head isn't up their ass, they can usually hook you up too on simple stuff like that.
Don't forget center cases. Climber's were known to break cases, if you slammed them into rocks too hard. Don't ask me how I know...
2whlrcr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 04:28 PM   #20
Rokoneer OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 529
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2whlrcr View Post
Don't forget center cases. Climber's were known to break cases, if you slammed them into rocks too hard. Don't ask me how I know...
Seems like they were stator eaters as well....
Rokoneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 05:30 PM   #21
Mr. Carts
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 272
Cool Do you think OSSA will make a New YankeeZ's for us oldtimers?
Mr. Carts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 02:51 PM   #22
SloCalSpode
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rokoneer View Post
Seems like they were stator eaters as well....
That is what was wrong with mine when I got it for a good deal.
PO just pulled into camp from a 20 mile ride and the bike died
10 feet from his cooler. He parked it and could never get it running
again. Sat for a few years till I got the trials bug. He made me a
offer I could not refuse.
Mr. Komer sourced me a replacement stator and mine has worked
ever since.......well...after a new crank, mains, seals and top end.
Powder coat the frame, fork seals, brake pads, tires......
But that is a different story.

Jeff
SloCalSpode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 10:52 PM   #23
AteamNM
Wonna Be ADVrider

Oddometer: 3,350
I owned and rode his bike bought new and rode it for about a year. Then went to GasGas not long after. My friends called it the John Deere.

AteamNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 05:26 AM   #24
Magile
"What exit?"

Oddometer: 366
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Carts View Post
...Do you think OSSA will make a New YankeeZ's for us oldtimers?

Magile is offline   Reply With Quote