Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,912
[QUOTE=TheYeti;16191442][QUOTE=Gummee!;16191294]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
Your google fu is weak young paduan

HTH

M

I know ,I'm so ashamed, Thanks for the info. Now I've got to see what changes I've got to make with the levers etc.

With mini v brakes you can run standard levers. For a few bucks more you can get v-brake compatible levers and run regular v brakes. You will have more choices in brakes.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 02:24 PM   #20867
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,059
Yes!!!!!

IT'S HERE!!!

Trek was in deed out of recycled beer can frames so they sent me one made of plastic...

My new Super Fly SS

Initiation, Tuesday, 6pm, Mohican State Park

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #20868
Cat0020
El cheapo

Oddometer: 5,445
Should have gone with a belt drive..
Old 06-18-2011, 04:53 PM   #20869
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,059
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat0020 View Post
Should have gone with a belt drive..

Belt? Belts are for road bikes, You've evidently never ridden in Ohio's premier wet clay!

I'm not investing in all new running gear when I know what's on there works

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 05:42 PM   #20870
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 866
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgorman View Post
IT'S HERE!!!

Trek was in deed out of recycled beer can frames so they sent me one made of plastic...

My new Super Fly SS

Initiation, Tuesday, 6pm, Mohican State Park
FWIW, I've always been kinda "meh" re: Trek MTBs, but that is one sexy beast!
Old 06-18-2011, 07:44 PM   #20871
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,999
Turned out to be not quite 60mi with a few of em on a gravel road. Moorsomethingoranother Rd up to the top of the hill, then back down and back to C-peper. Rolly vs hilly. Still managed to get up some stinking hills.

One 'ohmydoG' moment as we were horsing around sprinting. There were 3 of us. J takes off and M and I watch him go for about 100m. M takes off with me on his wheel. When M catches, J starts to swing wide to keep him off his wheel. What J didn't see was me sprinting around the outside as he was looking over his right shoulder. J kept drifting over... and over... and I finally hit his left bar with my right elbow when I ran out of road to my left, sending J into an overcorrection and at a ditch. HowTF he managed to keep things upright, I'm not sure. He ended up in the grass and next to a barbed wire fence for about 100m trying to slow down.

The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. We were 3-man pacelining for a bit down one of the roads outside Rapidan, VA. Fun times that. Pacelines are SO much fun.

M
Old 06-18-2011, 08:11 PM   #20872
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,043
I had a nice uneventful ride this afternoon. After spending the morning motoring around the Inland Empire looking for stuff. The REI used gear sale was on today so that was a zoo. Did not feel the need to buy anything after the sight of the first wing of the checkout line. Internet here I come.

Splitting lanes for 15 miles to get home sucked.

I got in an hour and a half down the good old river trail. I kept my head even when people came by, I resisted the urge to spin up and grab their wheels. Good thing, the skinny kid on the fixie was doing about 23 mph.

Yeah, I did pace him... Began catching up too. , but thought better of using up what I had left in the tank so early on the return route.
It turns out that was a good thing.

As Paul Sherwen would say, I turned myself inside out to get up the first, then second steps and that final step I dug deep.

As I rolled into the hood, my clocked ticked over 1:35. Nice!

I managed to average just a teenie bit under 15 mph so I'm happy with that. I even stopped for some snaps,

The weather today was as near perfect as it gets.

And one to keep the honey badgers at bay,

Facebook
Smugmug
Mr Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 08:47 PM   #20873
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,481
It was beautiful here in CT today as well. 42 miles with the killer hills. Going out tomorrow for 55+, with less humidity. First flat this year today,at the bottom of a 42mph hill! Could have been scary!

Sunday ride, 58 miles. Going to put a big dent in the couch this afternoon!

rbrsddn screwed with this post 06-19-2011 at 01:29 PM
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:06 PM   #20874
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,101
Mr Head

That really looks like a nice trail, how far is it. relaxing no car traffic to deal with.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:29 PM   #20875
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
That really looks like a nice trail, how far is it. relaxing no car traffic to deal with.

You and I should head up to Danville one weekend. They are supposed to have a nice trail system that parallels the River. I know the MTB trails up there kick ass.

On another note, I placed 2nd in the Powerade N.C. state games crit today. Got away with 4 other riders and lapped the field a few times before drilling the sprint.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:54 PM   #20876
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,045
I bought my 6 year old son a Raleigh Rowdy (with 20" wheels) kid's bike yesterday. Scored it used on CL for $40. It has a 1x6 speed gripshift with Shimano Journey derailleur, Tektro brakes, Suntour forks, Cane Creek headset. It is 10 times better than the hand me down, taco wheeled, Mao Mart POS he has been riding for the last year. We went out to the local nature park today and rode for 1.5 hours on the paved/gravel roads. The boy got the hang of the grip shift in a hurry and was making me work to keep up on the flats, as he spun it out in sixth. He was smiling the whole time. We covered at least 12 miles. What a great Father's Day. I've been waiting years for this.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 06:57 PM   #20877
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,632
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I bought my 6 year old son a Raleigh Rowdy (with 20" wheels) kid's bike yesterday. Scored it used on CL for $40. It has a 1x6 speed gripshift with Shimano Journey derailleur, Tektro brakes, Suntour forks, Cane Creek headset. It is 10 times better than the hand me down, taco wheeled, Mao Mart POS he has been riding for the last year. We went out to the local nature park today and rode for 1.5 hours on the paved/gravel roads. The boy got the hang of the grip shift in a hurry and was making me work to keep up on the flats, as he spun it out in sixth. He was smiling the whole time. We covered at least 12 miles. What a great Father's Day. I've been waiting years for this.
Awesome! My dad and I have never had a relationship, so I love to hear about my friends and peers that get to share in that bond. Happy father's day to all you dads out there.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:28 PM   #20878
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,931
Very nice!

Quote:
I bought my 6 year old son a...
Very nice. I am looking forward to that time. Was going to take mine out on the trail-a-bike today but she was feeling under the weather, so I went solo.

I found this place..."Lowes River County Park"...well, the Chippewa Valley bike folks put in a lot of work and made it great and advertised it, so it wasn't too hard to find, but I just have to say...it is great. Fun trails, easy stuff, intermediate stuff and sections that actually freaked me out today. I went for it, if I was going to crash, it was going to hurt but at least it would happen fast and it actually all worked out for me

Oh, and to all the people that park just outside of the park grounds, so they can avoid the $3 parking fee...REALLY?

They bought nice cars yet can't cough up the change to pitch in and DO THEIR PART? I am about as cheap as they come and I don't mind ponying up $3 to keep the multi-use park working well. You wanna play, you gotta pay.

SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 09:11 PM   #20879
fwlslyr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
question for the masses. I have an older Stumpjumper hardtail with a mix of xtr/xt that is in great shape. It was recently caught in a flood here at my home. This particular year came with an oversized front hub. The quick release is siezed inside the hub. After soaking for three days with liquid wrench I still can't get it out. Any suggestions?
fwlslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 11:08 PM   #20880
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,040
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwlslyr View Post
question for the masses. I have an older Stumpjumper hardtail with a mix of xtr/xt that is in great shape. It was recently caught in a flood here at my home. This particular year came with an oversized front hub. The quick release is siezed inside the hub. After soaking for three days with liquid wrench I still can't get it out. Any suggestions?
yeah. toss out that liquid wrench, its nearly worthless. Kroil Oil or Blaster PB. be da kine. have you gotten the threaded end off the quick release? if its still stuck, I think I'd use a dremel and grind some flats on it that you can get a wrench on... and I'd probably do something similar to destroy/remove as much as possible of the other end of the quick release too.

I suppose worst case, try and disassemble the axle with the skewer still in it, then put the axle in a drill press (or ideally, a milling machine), and drill whats left of the the skewer out.

pierce screwed with this post 06-19-2011 at 11:16 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: