User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 513 votes, 4.94 average. Display Modes
Old 06-18-2011, 07:47 PM   #20761
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,838
It was beautiful here in CT today as well. 42 miles with the killer hills. Going out tomorrow for 55+, with less humidity. First flat this year today,at the bottom of a 42mph hill! Could have been scary!

Sunday ride, 58 miles. Going to put a big dent in the couch this afternoon!

rbrsddn screwed with this post 06-19-2011 at 12:29 PM
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 03:06 PM   #20762
TheYeti
Hard to be Humble

Oddometer: 1,112
Mr Head

That really looks like a nice trail, how far is it. relaxing no car traffic to deal with.
Unknown Marine Recon Instructor
TheYeti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:29 PM   #20763
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Oddometer: 1,959
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
That really looks like a nice trail, how far is it. relaxing no car traffic to deal with.

You and I should head up to Danville one weekend. They are supposed to have a nice trail system that parallels the River. I know the MTB trails up there kick ass.

On another note, I placed 2nd in the Powerade N.C. state games crit today. Got away with 4 other riders and lapped the field a few times before drilling the sprint.
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 04:54 PM   #20764
fullmonte
Reformed Kneedragger

Oddometer: 5,433
I bought my 6 year old son a Raleigh Rowdy (with 20" wheels) kid's bike yesterday. Scored it used on CL for $40. It has a 1x6 speed gripshift with Shimano Journey derailleur, Tektro brakes, Suntour forks, Cane Creek headset. It is 10 times better than the hand me down, taco wheeled, Mao Mart POS he has been riding for the last year. We went out to the local nature park today and rode for 1.5 hours on the paved/gravel roads. The boy got the hang of the grip shift in a hurry and was making me work to keep up on the flats, as he spun it out in sixth. He was smiling the whole time. We covered at least 12 miles. What a great Father's Day. I've been waiting years for this.
"If you are looking for the typical ride to a restaurant, eat tacos, hold the middle finger over the food, stop and take a picture of a gravel road type ride, you probably won't be interested." - dlrides

"A guy I know was the lead researcher for the University of Utah federally funded study of cellphone and texting use while driving. He found that your twice as dangerous as a drunk while using your cell phone and I think it was up to six times worse if the driver was texting."-dakardad
fullmonte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:57 PM   #20765
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I bought my 6 year old son a Raleigh Rowdy (with 20" wheels) kid's bike yesterday. Scored it used on CL for $40. It has a 1x6 speed gripshift with Shimano Journey derailleur, Tektro brakes, Suntour forks, Cane Creek headset. It is 10 times better than the hand me down, taco wheeled, Mao Mart POS he has been riding for the last year. We went out to the local nature park today and rode for 1.5 hours on the paved/gravel roads. The boy got the hang of the grip shift in a hurry and was making me work to keep up on the flats, as he spun it out in sixth. He was smiling the whole time. We covered at least 12 miles. What a great Father's Day. I've been waiting years for this.
Awesome! My dad and I have never had a relationship, so I love to hear about my friends and peers that get to share in that bond. Happy father's day to all you dads out there.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:28 PM   #20766
SilkMoneyLove
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,401
Very nice!

Quote:
I bought my 6 year old son a...
Very nice. I am looking forward to that time. Was going to take mine out on the trail-a-bike today but she was feeling under the weather, so I went solo.

I found this place..."Lowes River County Park"...well, the Chippewa Valley bike folks put in a lot of work and made it great and advertised it, so it wasn't too hard to find, but I just have to say...it is great. Fun trails, easy stuff, intermediate stuff and sections that actually freaked me out today. I went for it, if I was going to crash, it was going to hurt but at least it would happen fast and it actually all worked out for me

Oh, and to all the people that park just outside of the park grounds, so they can avoid the $3 parking fee...REALLY?

They bought nice cars yet can't cough up the change to pitch in and DO THEIR PART? I am about as cheap as they come and I don't mind ponying up $3 to keep the multi-use park working well. You wanna play, you gotta pay.

SilkMoneyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:11 PM   #20767
fwlslyr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
question for the masses. I have an older Stumpjumper hardtail with a mix of xtr/xt that is in great shape. It was recently caught in a flood here at my home. This particular year came with an oversized front hub. The quick release is siezed inside the hub. After soaking for three days with liquid wrench I still can't get it out. Any suggestions?
fwlslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:08 PM   #20768
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwlslyr View Post
question for the masses. I have an older Stumpjumper hardtail with a mix of xtr/xt that is in great shape. It was recently caught in a flood here at my home. This particular year came with an oversized front hub. The quick release is siezed inside the hub. After soaking for three days with liquid wrench I still can't get it out. Any suggestions?
yeah. toss out that liquid wrench, its nearly worthless. Kroil Oil or Blaster PB. be da kine. have you gotten the threaded end off the quick release? if its still stuck, I think I'd use a dremel and grind some flats on it that you can get a wrench on... and I'd probably do something similar to destroy/remove as much as possible of the other end of the quick release too.

I suppose worst case, try and disassemble the axle with the skewer still in it, then put the axle in a drill press (or ideally, a milling machine), and drill whats left of the the skewer out.

pierce screwed with this post 06-19-2011 at 10:16 PM
pierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 10:31 PM   #20769
mud
I just wander.....

Oddometer: 1,842
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYeti View Post
They are shit,Bad on the unloaded bike, Scary on the loaded one. It's the one thing bad about this bike. suggestions?

IRD's are supposed to be pretty nice. They are easy to set-up with the correct cable geometry.

Old 06-19-2011, 11:09 PM   #20770
fwlslyr
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pierce View Post
yeah. toss out that liquid wrench, its nearly worthless. Kroil Oil or Blaster PB. be da kine. have you gotten the threaded end off the quick release? if its still stuck, I think I'd use a dremel and grind some flats on it that you can get a wrench on... and I'd probably do something similar to destroy/remove as much as possible of the other end of the quick release too.

I suppose worst case, try and disassemble the axle with the skewer still in it, then put the axle in a drill press (or ideally, a milling machine), and drill whats left of the the skewer out.
Thanks for the reply. I'll give PB blaster a shot. I have the hub and skewer out of the wheel. The threaded end comes off easily. I would destroy it but it is an unusual size. It's much thicker then the extra skewers I have.. My old billet purble Ringle skewers are much thinner. I'll try PB and I will double nut the threaded end.
Old 06-19-2011, 11:24 PM   #20771
pierce
Aven'Tourer

Oddometer: 10,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by fwlslyr View Post
Thanks for the reply. I'll give PB blaster a shot. I have the hub and skewer out of the wheel. The threaded end comes off easily. I would destroy it but it is an unusual size. It's much thicker then the extra skewers I have.. My old billet purble Ringle skewers are much thinner. I'll try PB and I will double nut the threaded end.
can you get the axle out of the hub? if its cones and balls, should be easy. if so, after soaking in some good penetrating oil, try applying some mild heat to the axle (eg, hot air gun, not blowtorch).
Old 06-19-2011, 11:45 PM   #20772
fwlslyr
Adventurer

Quote:
can you get the axle out of the hub? if its cones and balls, should be easy. if so, after soaking in some good penetrating oil, try applying some mild heat to the axle (eg, hot air gun, not blowtorch).
I have the axle out. I have the bearings off the threaded end. The skewer lever prevents the removal of the bearings on the other end. I've got the pb blaster on now. I didn't think of the heat gun. I've been staring at my propane torch thinking it was a bad idea. Thanks for the reply.
Old 06-20-2011, 03:54 AM   #20773
zippy
Hinter dem Feld

Oddometer: 2,297
Quote:
I thought most bicycle disk brake hydraulics used mineral oil, not DOT5 ? I know the Shimanos on my 2001 Stumpjumper FSR are mineral oil.

Sorry late to respond. Have been healing. You are correct shimanos use mineral oil. I bought a bleed kit for the avids and thebottle didn't specify DOT number but had a warning from the state of California that it could cause reproductive issues .?
I was way wrong on my rash. Was not from the brake fluid but was poison sumac. First doctor I saw said NO definitely isn't poison sumac, ivy or oak... idiot. Saw a dermatologist and it took her two seconds to diagnose. Had poison ivy as a high school kid 30 years ago but nothing like this. Strange thing was it didn't itch.

While waiting to see if I get the replacement (juicy 3) I was promised I am using a friends shimano deore hydros he had sitting new on a shelf. Finally after three weeks of rashy nastiness got a good 2 hour ride in at Alafia state park.
zippy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 04:01 AM   #20774
Dranrab Luap
E-Tarded

Oddometer: 32,074
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullmonte View Post
I have seen some great deals on CL lately, but I can't really justify another bike. I like grip shift for newbies. It is a very intuitive shifting mechanism. I used to LOVE riding with my daughters. We had a mud hole at the end of the street that we would hit after a rain. We would all come home covered in mud.
Dranrab Luap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2011, 05:13 AM   #20775
Ridge
Sinister Kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by zippy View Post
While waiting to see if I get the replacement (juicy 3) I was promised I am using a friends shimano deore hydros he had sitting new on a shelf. Finally after three weeks of rashy nastiness got a good 2 hour ride in at Alafia state park.
You ever see a SS rigid 29'er in all black out at Alafia? If so, he's a great friend of mine and I would appreciate it if you would give him some shit about that bike and those trails. He rides a Vassago Jabberwocky. I love the Bridges trail and North Creek. Moonscape and Gatorback can Kiss my ass...

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: