Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 316 votes, 4.90 average. Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 10:54 PM   #20911
fwlslyr
Adventurer

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
What components are ya running? I have a stash of somewhat older stuff that I can part with a bit or two for a fellow unemployed SOB

M
Thanks for the kind offer. Everything checks out o.k. The rear hub is fine. It's an old XTR 8 speed with the Ti casette. I expect the bottom bracket will fail but I believe it's a run of the mill un54 which costs next to nothing. I'll stick to my old parts. It's 8 speed xt rapidfires with xt front xtr rear derailluir. It's has the origanol rock shock that I added coil springs to when it was new. It's a Stump Jumper pro in the mountain dew color.
fwlslyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 07:08 AM   #20912
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,120
Got in almost two hours last night. Down past the ball park and back. I made the turn around at just over an hour.
The headwind I fought for that hour was now a tailwind.

Felt good to be out for a good ride again. If I can keep the 2 hour thing going every other day and on the off days walk for lunch and then sneak in an hour or so after work I'll be back to fit in no time.

These long days are great.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #20913
Askel
Perma-n00b

Oddometer: 10,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by ErrinV View Post
Yeah, I hope so too! There's some talk of a possible re-route around the Flathead because of snow levels. Should be interesting. Less than a month away!
Hey, anybody know if ErrinV made the start of the TD?

Not sure what his real name is and I don't see anybody with his listed location on the start list: http://tourdivide.org/2011_start_list

In the meantime, I'm cheering on our local boy:
http://trackleaders.com/tourdividei.php?name=Danny_Hill
Askel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 10:40 AM   #20914
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Askel View Post
Hey, anybody know if ErrinV made the start of the TD?

Ah, looks like he took a 1 day head start on everybody to do an individual time trial: http://tourdivide.org/2011_ITT-D_start_list

Damn, no updates until he gets back then. Good luck, ErrinV!
Old 06-21-2011, 10:51 AM   #20915
Askel
Perma-n00b

Quote:

Damn, no updates until he gets back then. Good luck, ErrinV!

Well shit... http://mtbcast.com/site2/2011/06/15/...o-say-hes-out/
Old 06-21-2011, 05:08 PM   #20916
TheNedster
Lurkapotamus

Oddometer: 868
Quote:
That sucks. Our local guy: http://trackleaders.com/tourdividei....=Daniel_Bayley
Old 06-21-2011, 08:17 PM   #20917
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 28,080
I flipped the stem on my cross bike over the other nite. Rode it today. My King HS was rubbing. Top cap wasn't level and it was rubbing on the front lip of the top of the cups.

So I flipped the stem back over tonite (wow! is it humid!) and its fine.

I think it may be that its been installed the same way since I got the bike 6+/- years ago and things are compressed in a certain way. I need a new cross fork anyway, this just accelerates the 'need' for it.

M
Old 06-21-2011, 08:43 PM   #20918
mgorman
Crashing since 1964

Oddometer: 5,114
Quote:
I flipped the stem on my cross bike over the other nite. Rode it today. My King HS was rubbing. Top cap wasn't level and it was rubbing on the front lip of the top of the cups.

An ITM stem I had did that, the clamping are was cast or forged and machined inside but not faced so one end of the clamp wasn't square and would bind the bearing

AES Racing - Crow Canyon Riding Park
mgorman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:18 AM   #20919
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:

I think it may be that its been installed the same way since I got the bike 6+/- years ago and things are compressed in a certain way. I need a new cross fork anyway, this just accelerates the 'need' for it.

M
Weird, what kind of stem? The amount of time it was installed for should have no effect on being able to flip the stem. Those parts should not wear together in any way.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:37 AM   #20920
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailer Rails View Post
Weird, what kind of stem? The amount of time it was installed for should have no effect on being able to flip the stem. Those parts should not wear together in any way.
Ritchey WCS and a 'sorta prototype' Ouzo Pro cross fork.

I didn't try the stem on another bike (I have a slightly different WCS stem on my Quattro Assi) to see. PITA got too big in the humidity.

M
Old 06-22-2011, 06:59 AM   #20921
trailer Rails
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,092
Quote:
Ritchey WCS and a 'sorta prototype' Ouzo Pro cross fork.

I didn't try the stem on another bike (I have a slightly different WCS stem on my Quattro Assi) to see. PITA got too big in the humidity.

M
That is odd, it all should work together just fine. The only thing it could be is the stem is not cut perfectly flat on one side. I have never seen that before though. If it is the steerer tube of the fork causing the issue I would throw the fork away ASAP, but I doubt it is causing the issue. The headset could have worn bearings allowing the top cap to drop in a little more. How old is the headset and has it ever been overhauled? I have never seen a CK headset bearing wear out either.
trailer Rails is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:09 AM   #20922
Ridge
Hustle and Cuss

Oddometer: 1,671
Beer!

Always good to win free beer!

Final race of the local speedway series was last night. My teammate was second in the points series and our team was holding solid as first in overall points. I was there only to work for team points and keep points away from the guy in first place.

Before the race even started, I could not get my power meter to work. No speed, HR, power... nothing. So, I scrapped it pulled off the HR strap and planned to race on perceived exertion only.

As the whistle blew, we were off and I was on point. Going strictly by feel, rather than numbers had me going harder than I should have and I had opened up a small gap that no one was interested in bridging to, so I backed off a bit and that's when it happened...

The points leader attacked and another strong rider went with him, I "just" caught what was happening when my teammate hollered break right, so I spun up and the four of us were soon hammering away from the main pack. We must have been hitting those pedals hard 'cuz no one decided to jump with us, or attempt a bridge. We stayed away and worked together. As the points leader knew there was no way we were letting him get away, we just settled in and hammered.

Within about 10 minutes we had gained 3/4 of a lap on the field and were closing fast! Another 2 laps and we had lapped the field to settle in for the top 4 places. There were a few guys that attacked each other for 5th, but we had decimated the field. As the whistle blew signaling the final lap, I watched and waited for the guinea pig to jump. All four of us got on front again and sprinted to the finish line. I was able to secure a solid third place in the race, fourth overall in the series and our team won 2 cases of beer for the team points! What a great way to end that series.

We had most of the team there for the beer shot.

Ridge screwed with this post 06-22-2011 at 12:15 PM
Ridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:14 AM   #20923
Zodiac OP
loosely portrayed

Oddometer: 31,643
that's real cool Ridge, sounds like fun
1992 BMW K100 transmission housing
2014 Box of General Tso's Chicken with Xtra spice
Zodiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:23 AM   #20924
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Looks like you got good beer too! Always better than winning yellow fizzy stuff.

Congrats!

Which of those ugly mugs is yours? PLEASE tell me yer not wearing a blue bandana!

M
Old 06-22-2011, 07:30 AM   #20925
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 7,120
Cool Ridge! Nice report too.
Back in the day our team ran a circuit race. Since we had Coors sponsorship we would give beer primes. So only the vets got those. They were always popular, something about an August in Colorado race.
My Life With The 990R
Smugmug
Mr Head is online now   Reply With Quote

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: