Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-15-2011, 11:18 AM   #376
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
I can commiserate Sting32, I busted a couple of ribs just over half way though vegas to reno last year. Ya don't have to stop riding though - I still ran the remaining 220 miles quick enough to salvage a 5th overall

A top tip though, surfing with broken ribs hurts, a lot. A paddle board suddenly became my new best friend.
I finished the day, last place, so now pride was also bruised, lol. it hurt worse monday and from then on, of course. I was not stopping riding, I just didnt want to jump on here, and read something funny, laughing hurts, lol. yesterday I had the hiccups, I nearly blacked out!
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 11:32 AM   #377
Gordy
Team Listo

Oddometer: 22,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sting32 View Post
I finished the day, last place, so now pride was also bruised, lol. it hurt worse monday and from then on, of course. I was not stopping riding, I just didnt want to jump on here, and read something funny, laughing hurts, lol. yesterday I had the hiccups, I nearly blacked out!
Nearly eveytime that I have bruised, torn, broke my ribs it didn't hurt all that bad initially. It is the next day( and on) that is murder.

Isn't trying to sleep on your side a blast!
Gordy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 01:51 PM   #378
Bent_boot42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
another w/ bruised trials ribs

I just bruised my ribs as well (seems like the season for it). Could be worse though, at least I can still ride (just no laughing, coughing, or sneezing which isn't easy as it is allergy season as well).
I didn't even do it while riding... I was observing a section at the PNTA event last week and dived onto my ribs while grabbing a bike as the rider got off on a expert step-up.
Seems like it is way less dangerous actually riding compared to scrambling around on top of mossy rocks while not looking where you put your own feet but trying to see where others put their feet.
Bent_boot42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 02:19 PM   #379
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,243
Well as long as you finished its all good

Hey did ya hear the one about two guys who walk into a bar and ...

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2011, 07:55 PM   #380
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
Will it fit?

I have future plans that will require that my Scorpa rides in the back of my quad-cab Dakota with a cap on it. The bed is too short for the bike to fit straight, and the cap is too low for the front of the bike to fit (even with the suspension fully compressed). So today I did a trial fit:

It was actually pretty easy. I rolled the bike backward up a ramp 'til the bars hit the cap, slid a stand under the skidplate then slid the ramp out. I took the front wheel off, lifted it off the stand and set it back down on the tailgate. Then I used a tie-down to compress the suspension a bit so I could slide it in without having to lean it over.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:03 PM   #381
Sting32
Trials Evangelist

Oddometer: 1,288
I have seen: a person cut a piece of wood, in the perfect round shape and drilled a hole in it and 2x4 for spacer, to use as a wheel for purposes like this... me who would also be cheap azz, kept pair of worn out wheels off a lawn mower, just in case I was in similiar needs... Nice thing about wood would be, you could start bigger diameter, and customise to suit smaller, without having to do more than just trim the "wheel"...

I never thought or tried about doing the rear wheel for even more room at that end, say, in a storage area of a motorhome? Hmmmmm.
Sting32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 03:22 PM   #382
wilkinsonk
Riff Raff

Oddometer: 658
If you didn't want to have to use tie downs, you could construct a mount similar to you see for bicycles in the back of vans/trucks. Take a small sheet of plywood, about the length of your truck bed side-to-side and about a foot wide. Cut a piece of 4x6 to fit between the fork tubes and drill a hole for the axle. Lag bolt this to the ply wood and now you can simply run the axle back through the front end and wood block and you bike is secured. Now no need to compress the forks when securing the bike. With a weldor and a bit of materials, you could make a more elegant solution, but the wood is easy to work with and most people with bikes also have the tools necessary for that type of work. Just and idea for you. Something similar could bee done for the rear if doing the back of the RV thought. You would need to secure it to the floor somehow though.

Ken
wilkinsonk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:36 PM   #383
motojunky
Professional Idiot

Oddometer: 1,075
This should be a one-time thing. Usually if I'm going to have the camper hooked up (pop-up) and need to haul a bike, I just take the cap off. This time it's going to be longer than just the weekend and I'll need the cap to keep my crap secure.

It was surprisingly easy - everything worked out just right. The bike is so light that just sliding it in with the forks was a piece of cake. There's gonna be so much crap packed in around it that the tie downs will probably be unnecessary anyway.
motojunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2011, 12:02 PM   #384
Bent_boot42
Adventurer

Oddometer: 50
replaced kick-start return spring on '04 Sherco290

Last Sunday while riding at a trials school put on by team canada TDN I broke the kick-start return spring on my Sherco.

Note: the spring is broken at both ends... the little end has lost about 1mm of length that would fit in the locating hole on the kick-start shaft, this is what broke while I was riding. after removing the spring I wiggled the bigger end and it just came apart in my hand (as you can see), I assume the metal was just very fatigued after 7yrs of life.

Here it is with the new spring installed

and a shot of the interior of the case

Bent_boot42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #385
Abdelhub
Blanco Trasho

Oddometer: 726
went for a ride

Mike

http://www.youtube.com/abdelhub
Abdelhub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 08:49 PM   #386
markwoodlief
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,615
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abdelhub View Post

Mike
mike next time you plan on coming up to WV give me a ring.... likely could've joined ya today for a few hours..
markwoodlief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 04:46 PM   #387
deminimis
I Eat Glue

Oddometer: 696
Got back in the saddle last night after taking a couple of weeks off to mend. Seems I'm not 25yo anymore. Took it easy,,,for the most part, but found I was rather trigger shy. Screw that. I'm wearing my MX armor next time out and the sharp rocks beneath me (which I have a habit of flinging myself upon) be damned!

On a completely different note, anyone come up with a good front fender substitute for newer bikes? The factory fenders are so simplistic, but so over priced. Heck even "generic" front trials fenders are stupid-expensive for what you get. I'm thinking a recumbent bike front fender ($15) might just be the ticket. Any other good ideas (other than quit crashing)?
YZ85 for The Boy
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 11:54 AM   #388
ridenm
not waiting anymore

Oddometer: 2,556
Delayed post -- should made it yesterday

I ordered new sprockets and chain from the UK for our Gas Gas TXT50 Boy (silly name). Going to the 60T rear from a 52T. Should make it much easier for Katy to participate at the Western Youth Nationals in Taos, which as everyone knows is a four-letter word meaning 'steep.'
ridenm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:10 PM   #389
NVTS
stupid hipster dufus

Oddometer: 619
Brought home an 01 Scorpa. First trials bike. NVTS
NVTS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:33 PM   #390
Abdelhub
Blanco Trasho

Oddometer: 726
got muddy