Adventurer

Oddometer: 33
Let me know when you are ready to sell. I've got plans for a 21" Sportster
pantera1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:28 AM   #617
USGunRunner
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Just sold this one. But here is a pic with a Emgo Viper fairing.
USGunRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:09 PM   #618
ScottFree
Adventurer

Oddometer: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloodweiser View Post
Has anyone found a good helmet lock solution?
I have a bike lock that I use sometimes, but more often then not I carry it with me.
That's getting old.
The Aerostich catalog shows some very slick (and very pricey) bar-end helmet locks. Don't know if they'll work with 1" bars, though.

On my old tube-frame Buell, which I think uses the same diameter frame tubing as a Sporty, I just use one of those cheap clamp-to-the-frame-tube helmet-hook locks. Under twenty bucks. You can buy 'em at JC Whitney, Competition Accessories, Dennis Kirk, and most likely your corner aftermarket-doodad shop.
ScottFree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 04:52 PM   #619
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Oddometer: 6,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhr View Post
Picked this up on Monday. 2001 883 Custom with 47K, after tax and getting the registration up to date $2400. Going to ride it 2k through Nevada, Oregon over the July 4th weekend. Probably going to sell it once I get back to buy a non custom Sportster as I don't care for the forward controls and the 21 in front.

Nice bike. About the 21 and the forwards, if it's a good runner why not just spend a couple hundred bucks and swap them out for mids and a 19 ? All over Ebay, Craigslist,etc for cheap.

3 weeks solo: Overland Expo East ,Barber Vintage Fest and beyond
Ginger Beard is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2011, 08:01 PM   #620
dhr
Explorer of suburbs

Oddometer: 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by wishin4woods View Post
Nice bike. About the 21 and the forwards, if it's a good runner why not just spend a couple hundred bucks and swap them out for mids and a 19 ? All over Ebay, Craigslist,etc for cheap.
I may still do that as I do like the bike more and more. Only issue for me is that I ride alot and putting more miles on the bike is not going to help resale. When I bought it the PO said it had 37K, only noticed after I got home it had 47K I think it was an honest mistake but still.

Besides I want to see if I can get a nice Sportster even cheaper

dhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:16 AM   #621
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhr View Post
I may still do that as I do like the bike more and more. Only issue for me is that I ride alot and putting more miles on the bike is not going to help resale. When I bought it the PO said it had 37K, only noticed after I got home it had 47K I think it was an honest mistake but still.

Besides I want to see if I can get a nice Sportster even cheaper

How much do you think you will want for it? It's the exact bike that I am looking for for a "project".

Old 06-25-2011, 08:55 AM   #622
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
How much do you think you will want for it? It's the exact bike that I am looking for for a "project".
I saw 2001 Sportie 1200 selling for 3900. Even though I already have one, it gave me pause to consider it for a different style of bike, maybe a sport-scrambler. There are plenty of deals out there in the pre-04 Sporties.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/2438943460.html

I also saw a 2002 selling for 6500. And he says he is taking a loss on it

hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:44 AM   #623
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon View Post
I saw 2001 Sportie 1200 selling for 3900. Even though I already have one, it gave me pause to consider it for a different style of bike, maybe a sport-scrambler. There are plenty of deals out there in the pre-04 Sporties.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/2438943460.html

I also saw a 2002 selling for 6500. And he says he is taking a loss on it
Thanks for the link. I am leaning more towards an 883 for what I want to do. Thinkin' that I need a Scram-ster in the garage as well.

There is some guy down here selling a 99' for $7k. I honestly think it's one of those "But honey, I am tryyyying to sell it but no one will buy it!" kind of deals.

Old 06-25-2011, 10:37 AM   #624
Berto
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,404
I think some are out of touch with what the used bike market is now.Last month I talked to a guy in Orlando that was selling a 03 883 custom with a windshield and bags less than 10,000 miles. It was a nice well cared for bike.Had it priced at 3100 and he told me that he got very few calls about it
Berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:16 AM   #625
hockeygoon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 542
Quote:
Originally Posted by Berto View Post
I think some are out of touch with what the used bike market is now.Last month I talked to a guy in Orlando that was selling a 03 883 custom with a windshield and bags less than 10,000 miles. It was a nice well cared for bike.Had it priced at 3100 and he told me that he got very few calls about it
Man, wish I lived near Orlando. I'd be all over that, though I'd get rid of the windshield--mine just seems to buffet me and tends to make the front-end do a little wiggle on the highway in even medium wind. Wears me out, so it just sits in the corner.
hockeygoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 11:22 AM   #626
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by hockeygoon View Post
Man, wish I lived near Orlando. I'd be all over that, though I'd get rid of the windshield--mine just seems to buffet me and tends to make the front-end do a little wiggle on the highway in even medium wind. Wears me out, so it just sits in the corner.

Have you tried a 1/4 fairing? I put one on and couldn't be more happy with it. Pulls the "weight" off of your chest,no buffeting and small enough that when you are in city traffic it lets enough wind around it to keep you cool.

Old 06-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #627
zataomm
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Have you tried a 1/4 fairing? I put one on and couldn't be more happy with it. Pulls the "weight" off of your chest,no buffeting and small enough that when you are in city traffic it lets enough wind around it to keep you cool.
What 1/4 fairing do you have? I'm needing something to take the wind off at 70 - 75 mph but still be comfortable in the summer down here.
Old 06-25-2011, 01:13 PM   #628
Ginger Beard
I have no soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by zataomm View Post
What 1/4 fairing do you have? I'm needing something to take the wind off at 70 - 75 mph but still be comfortable in the summer down here.

I picked up the Maier plastics sport fairing. It has a couple of idiosyncrasies that are more aesthetic than anything. It is made for a 7 inch headlight and has the cutouts for fork mounted signals. For $100 bucks I'm not going to bitch. I have filled in the space around the headlight since this pic and have plans to put some axillary lights in the signal cutouts.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:53 PM   #629
NYP797
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 180
Maier Plastics Fairing

Thanks for posting this frontal photo. I like the oem HD quick release 1/4 fairing but not the plexiglass shield in front of the headlight. The Maier has nice lines, and the lower cutouts could be filled shut or as you say some type of auxilliary lights adapted. The lower inverted valanced lip is a nice design touch. Can ya let in on who carries it. Thanks; btw I like that the windshield portion isn't too high. How's the wind buffeting at speed?
NYP797 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 03:31 AM   #630
Mr Natural
Really tired

Oddometer: 1,435

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2011/03...-2-cafe-racer/
http://www.norleycaferacer.com/mediaGallery.html
Basic crazy life stuff, Clearanced Navy VN Vet, Army Vet, Walking by credit of VA, Met John Walker, Jerry Whitworth, Chilean riots, Pinochet troops, Cults/MK Deprogramming, Never seen a UFO so nothing I can blame drinking on, but enough about you, what about me?
Mr Natural is offline   Reply With Quote