Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-07-2011, 12:45 PM   #151
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by ONandOFF View Post
Makes sense, Rog. I would like to take it at a leisurely pace. By that I don't mean riding slow, that's too hard, I mean being able to stop for whatever looks cool, and have planned cool stuff to check out along the way. It's like someone said, there are no signs along the BRP as to food, gas, lodging, so you've gotta plan out a bit ahead. I'm hoping to have figured out where to get gas, eat, and camp before loading the bike. Then I won't have to worry about figuring that stuff out on the road, just ride and see stuff. So also, where I stay will depend on what's along the way to see and how long it takes to see 'em. Which is why I look to your report and your input about what's a must-see, must-do, optional, or just not worth it. Since I'm about 30min to the parkway, I've got a good half-day lead or more on you coming from there. If I can average 45mph for 8hrs, with no stops, I can be at mile 330 first day. But I don't know what I should see along the way and/or how much time that will take up. What cool things would you do if you could plan in the time to do them?
If you have time.. a side trip to Chimney Rock park.... Natural Bridge...Grandfather mountain... interesting trip up to the mile high bridge...Hopefully some others will chime in with other suggestions. The blue ridge music center is right on the prkwy .. I'd like to check it out if my timing was right. Lynnville falls I haven't explored yet.
rockinrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:25 PM   #152
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Oddometer: 5,296
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
...Chimney Rock park.... Natural Bridge... Grandfather mountain... mile high bridge... blue ridge music center... Lynnville falls...
Thanks Rog! I will look these up.
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
ONandOFF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 02:34 PM   #153
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 766
Here's a copy of the map I've been working on for my trip this April. Let me know if you can't see all the points and I'll change the permissions.

View BRP to Charolotte in a larger map">
View BRP to Charolotte in a larger map

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 06:05 PM   #154
Dirtgeek

Oddometer: n/a
+1 on Hunt's Motorcycle Lodge, Cherohala MC Resort, Pisgah Campground, Willville MC Campground. I've stayed at all those places. Good folks. Up at Natural Bridge check out Foam Henge.Its a full scale replica of Stone Henge!

Al
Old 02-07-2011, 07:00 PM   #155
b3h
ol dog on a stray

Oddometer: 181
not far from hendersonville

http://www.blueridgebbqfestival.com/
b3h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #156
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

Quote:
Originally Posted by littlelionmonster View Post
...the map I've been working on for my trip this April. ...
Very nice, Paul. Thanks for sharing. I was thinking April, too, but now I'm second-guessing myself. Wondering if maybe we should do the Outer Banks trip first, then the BRP when the weather's warmer.

Looks like you're going a little past Willville on the first day. Your second day looks long - what about camping in Doughton Park? That's about halfway...

When you go to Tellico Plns for the night, there's a nice loop you can do that would include the dragon one day and the Cherohala the other. Supposing you did the dragon first, keep going north on 129 until 72, up to 411 for a short jaunt over to 360 which drops south into TP right at the end of the Cherohala. Reverse that path to switch days. And when you're staying in TP, I must reccomend www.huntslodge.com it's great. Have you set your dates for your trip?
Let's ride!!! - No offense, but there've been a lot of people over time who were just as sure, yet got it wrong. - Una necedad, aunque la repitan millones de bocas, no deja de ser una necedad. - "you know that I could have me a million more friends and all I'd have to lose is my point of view" (Prine)
Old 02-08-2011, 09:36 AM   #157
littlelionmonster
Rerutnevda ylranG

Oddometer: 766
I'm headed out around the 8th of April and i have to be in Charlotte on Sunday night. Its a little risky with the weather and that time of year, but that's the only time I'll be able to take the whole weekend. My favorite time on the BRP is late April/early may when the trees are starting to bloom and the traffic is light.

Originally, I was going to just head out after work on Friday, but now I might take the whole day off and try and make it a little farther down then Fancy Gap.

Hunts Lodge sound nice. there are too many options and I know I'm only going to be able to hit the highlights on this trip.

April at OBX is nice too. no crowds yet, but the water is still chilly. Beware of shrinkage

Buy my Jetta TDI
Buy my jacket
littlelionmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:39 AM   #158
ONandOFF
-ROAD-

That's too funny! I'm not going down alone so not too worried about that; if she doesn't like it, she knows how to fix it I don't expect to get more than two feet in the water, anyway.

You're right about the weather uncertainties. I pray the weather cooperates with you. It's a pretty durn tight schedule so yeah, taking all Friday sounds like a necessity. And even then, hitting Hunt's for your second night would be a hustle!
Old 04-15-2011, 06:03 PM   #159
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

I was thinking about taking a spring trip down the prkway, but it looks like the Fed campgrounds won't be open yet.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:44 PM   #160
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire

Oddometer: 1,841
If you enjoy the twisties there's a really sweet section of them on Hwy 221 between the Grandfather Mtn exit and the Holloway Mtn Rd.

It runs parallel to the BRP, so it isn't out of your way.
GlennR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:52 AM   #161
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Anybody know if the weekend of July 4 results in heavy traffic on the parkway?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:44 AM   #162
this is a RV
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
We stayed in Little Switzerland last week I heared the desk clerk telling someone the price of rooms for the 4th weekend and they where up $40.00 a room from what I was paying for a Friday night. So would say price up traffic up.
this is a RV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:55 PM   #163
BreakNeckSpeed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Quote:
As a general rule, when summer break starts, everyone that lives in the Carolina's, Georgia and Florida that aren't at the beach and have time off, are trying to get above 3000 feet to beat the heat. During this time, Parkway traffic doubles!!!
BreakNeckSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 06:43 PM   #164
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by this is a RV View Post
We stayed in Little Switzerland last week I heared the desk clerk telling someone the price of rooms for the 4th weekend and they where up $40.00 a room from what I was paying for a Friday night. So would say price up traffic up.
Thanks, I have a long weekend, but I guess so does most of America. I thought maybe I'd take an extra day of vacation and see the Parkway in the summer.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:45 PM   #165
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakNeckSpeed View Post
As a general rule, when summer break starts, everyone that lives in the Carolina's, Georgia and Florida that aren't at the beach and have time off, are trying to get above 3000 feet to beat the heat. During this time, Parkway traffic doubles!!!
I have always heard others say how bad the traffic is in leaf season and I have never found it to be all that bad. So do you think the traffic is worse in the summer than in leaf season?