ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Pacific Northwet - Where it's green. And wet.
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 08:52 PM   #1
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Oddometer: 2,219
Stolen 1983 Honda XL600/XR600 SE PDX

Stolen: 1983 Honda XL600R with XR600 suspension upgrades. Yeah, that one, THE one.
A couple days prior, in the same exact spot it was last seen:

I had moved it from this spot and back and worked on it again in that spot within a handful of hours of it's theft. As I sat inside my studio working between the hours of 12 and 3 PM, it was hoisted in broad daylight. Many people were about the building for a Batman-derived play, but when addressed as a group by me after noticing it missing and combing the entire premises (33,000 SF building with many private studios/workshops), no-one could recall anyone but me touching or moving it.

Here it is after the suspension mods, just as it was last configured:

Taken between 1pm and 7pm, Saturday, June 25th, 2011 in broad daylight at The Watershed Industrial Arts Center, 5040 SE Milwaukie Ave, Portland, OR, 97266. Parked at a new telephone pole located north of the bridge over Mc Loughlin Blvd. Telephone Camera pointed parallel to the building, but away from the site of theft, we are waiting.

PPD Case #1153115
Washington plate: 3A184

VIN:JH2PD0300DM001380 <="">
ENGINE VIN: This bike has a 1998 xr600 engine with a kickstart side cover, 1985 cylinder, 1983 head. Very distinctive combination!
It is leaking oil from the head bolts which I had modified in a last-ditch effort to use the only head bolts I had at the time. (WASINGTON STATE RECORDED THIS INFO AT TIME OF TITLING, WORKING ON RETRIEVEING THIS)

Distinctive features:

-Kite string tied to choke lever in stead of the plastic one I'd repaired makeshift twice prior. Hose clamp on left handlebar weight. These were my choke lever replacement means I'd arranged on the afternoon it was 'liberated', I'd just perfected it. Was about to design and cast aluminum ones, but now I can't do that. I spent an intense hour kicking it over with improperly metered choke, impetus to make a few cast aluminum ones. Hopefully the thief will try to start it and break his ankle by opening the throttle (kickback)

.-XR/ XR650L suspension from a 1989 (correct) XR600, front and rear. Swingarm has AFAM, Bel-Ray, RK Racing Chain, and other MX brand name stickers.

-Marlboro-esque V pattern flat-black painted on tip of front fender with bright red number '5' in the middle.

-custom-made steel rack on the back, red and exposed steel from somewhat recent modifications. Rack rides high and level with seat, with crossbar. I made it.

-FMF Megamax exhaust pipe and header, aluminum on silencer is cross-hatch hand-polished and lacking the badge. More distinctive information on this pipe available upon request, should a badgeless FMF turn up. The profile on the can is a true oval with a custom shield of steel.

-Engine is a mix of various years, at it's core it is a 1998 XR600 engine, evident by the stator cover being silver the cylinder is 1985 with gray primer overspray and oil weeping from bolt holes near bottom fins. Head is 1983.

-Kite string tied to choke lever in stead of the plastic one I'd repaired makeshift twice prior. Hose clamp on left handlebar weight. These were my choke lever replacement means I'd arranged on the afternoon it was 'liberated', I'd just perfected it. Was about to design and cast aluminum ones, but now I can't do that. I spent an intense hour kicking it over with improperly metered choke, impetus to make a few cast aluminum ones. Hopefully the thief will try to start it and break his ankle by opening the throttle (kickback)

$100 reward PLUS $250 custom work in my shop, for any information leading to the return of this trans-american vehicle. Some of my goods and services are for sale on www.a-go-go-designs.com and www.agogodesigns.etsy.com or PM, E-mail, or cOME TO the Watershed and knock on the window with the flyer for the stolen bike, along the path on the North side of the building.

I just want the bike returned. But if you see it anywhere, please dial 911. Kinda like that old sticker, "if you see my bike on a trailer, dial 911."

I do heavy-duty textile repair, upholstery, and design/manufacture bags.

Zombie_Stomp screwed with this post 07-12-2011 at 12:53 PM
Zombie_Stomp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #2
oregoncoast
Racing Like a Noob

Oddometer: 4,406
sorry to hear this...
oregoncoast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
tommybelvedere
Adv alacarte'

Oddometer: 413
Pissed

I hate theives, i hope you find your bike. I hope the scum that took it get what they deserve!!
tommybelvedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 09:26 PM   #4
kwisn
One Happy Dog

Oddometer: 8,427
Bastages! I hate frick'n thieves.
Here's wishing you Good Luck in it's recovery.

I think you'd look like less of an ass if you'd shut the fuck up more often. Boondoggle
kwisn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 10:32 PM   #5
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,515
Where's the pics?
Old 06-25-2011, 11:56 PM   #6
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

updating with pics now

Old 06-26-2011, 12:25 AM   #7
wibby
BrotherFromAnotherMother

Oddometer: 10,515
I posted it on TT, BDS and the local MRA page

wibby screwed with this post 06-26-2011 at 12:34 AM
wibby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 AM   #8
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

I've also got a foamcore board with a map of portland drymounted (all 'dumpstered' material used in it's production down to the last squizzle of spray adhesive) for physical referrence. I'll be driving a pin in each of the informed parties' locations and, if I'm lucky, daily/weekly commute "b" points.

If any of these go near or through the meth-villes of Portland and it's surrounding areas. If some of you chance to drive through potential scrap yard or potential chop-shop havens, please have me drive a pin there too, and on your occasional curious moment, take a side street. Metal workers: be aware of red scraps and Honda cast aluminum, and alert employees if something distinctively familiar from my photos shows up, for paper trail and camera/employee interactions with scrappers.

The owner of the studio business in my building once had a huge panel truck, from where, I don't know, theft-towed and, we're pretty sure, scrapped out. This is one of many possible 'fences'.

The rear fender has distinctive marks from angle grinder sparks. Wherever that fender ends up is so trackable by this marking.

The front fender was so distinctive. It will be hard to get the flat black rattle can paint off that fender, even if the red number 5 is peeled cleanly. The fender was a 1985 XR350 fender, so had the brighter red, but totally oxidized and painted flat black at the tip in a Marlboro logo valley. A deep gouge at the apex of the arch in the fender makes it stand out even further. That fender gets spotted, and traced, bingo. One of the side covers had a sticker unlike any other. It was made on here by a fellow XL600 enthusiast on the vinyl plotter/cutter at his work, and was not perfect lines. I re-cut the flawed areas, I think after I stuck it down, so even if they remove it, distinctive logo markings show through. So unless they stuff all the rare 80's plastics in the dumpster, we have parts with markings more distinctive than any serial number. The other distinguishing feature of that sticker is, Honda's stickers were a rectangle of white vinyl with red screenprinting. This one was an imprefect vinyl plotter cut, and there are like 6 of us, tops, with a set. And we're all mutually respecting online-friends. The FMF can had a tiny amount of Ultra Blue RTV silicone in the two rivet holes where the logo had been removed for hand finishing. It was packed with Roxul fire wool from a powdercoating oven project. Connected to a fat header pipe with custom work that still wasn't right, and it had a bad exhaust leak and really funny looking grinding near the mount. There had been some TRX 4-wheeler swappings going on prior to my purchase of the complete but non streetable XR600 I had bought at the last minute before my voyage west which I harvested many a part from, including the renthal bars. There was a lot of custom work in my bar ends too, including threaded and tapped holes for a custom-made bar end mirror from one of those generic vent-window-clip, old-car replacement mirrors available at any auto parts store... I could go on, but I think that's enough identity information to track it with. I'm going to go on a long walk until I get very tired, with a flashlight, looking for stash zones.

One more though: it has an XRs Only temp gauge dipstick. Be wary of used ones popping up for sale. There is something special about mine which will be evident upon disassembly. Mine doesn't leak after what I did to it as seen on www.xl600r.blogspot.com

I also have another bit of information available upon PM.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:48 AM   #9
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

Quote:
Originally Posted by wibby View Post
I posted it on TT, BDS and the local MRA page
Thanks, I'm registered on TT as Zombie_stomp as well, I believe, so I will look and have PMs directed my way. You rock!

Old 06-26-2011, 05:12 AM   #10
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

a fixer-upper replacement...
http://salem.craigslist.org/gms/2452606043.html

Wibbster, I like your quote. Here's a form of ass I didn't know existed, and it's a real word, meaning "female donkey" Ok. Here goes.
'You tell me, "Life is hard to bear”. But for what purpose should you have your pride in the morning and your resignation in the evening? Life is hard to bear: but do not affect to be so delicate! We are all of us fine asses and assesses of burden.'

Zombie_Stomp screwed with this post 07-12-2011 at 12:54 PM
Old 06-26-2011, 09:38 AM   #11
WB-PDX
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,730
You should post a wanted ad on CL for the parts. Seems to work quite well for people.

Something generic like this:

http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/mcy/2457909316.html
WB-PDX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:46 AM   #12
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

I am working on a clever similar ad, but I want to do it right.

-Did you post that one, is that someone trying to recover theirs, or just a random ad you found?

-I wonder how far, and how convincingly will I have to tire kick before I find out if I am talking to the posessor of my bike or an honest parts seller? It's almost like I'd have to act like I don't care if I find out it's stolen the whole time and never ask what/where it's from or tell them my 'stolen' story.

I don't think they knew I had just worked on it, or if they did, were scoping this spot harder than I know. It sickens me to think this could be an inside job at my industrial arts building. There are burning man types here, and where there are those, there are large vehicles and drugs and all that goes with that. It's not one of those kinds of places, but that element exists almost everywhere. Not that Burning man isn't just good, clean fun, I've never been but I know about drug culture, oh yes I do. I just found out what this "molly" shit is that is going around. Sounds like a rich kids' meth to me.

This was my parking spot for a few days, so they might have gotten the "dormant" or "inactive" vibe even though it was in daily use....or they were scoping it hard and said, look, he's going back inside, GO!". The fact of the matter was, at any moment, I could have emerged with my stack of screenprinted patches to go sell on the street and maybe make $20 that day, but decided instead to keep organizing the shop so I could finish the $30 project I was on.

Old 06-26-2011, 11:52 AM   #13
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

I'm willing to work for any replacement motorcycle anyone has to let go. I can offer custom messenger bags in your choice of colors, amde by me, from scratch. I can also work on panniers for you. I can screenprint any image or pattern on them that you want, any pocket, fastener, feature you can think of, and I can start this weekend. i have patterns made for DirtBagz in the medium size all cut and ready to be printed (if desired) and sewn together. I can make them padded, lined, as basic or complex as you want. And the best part is, I will guarantee the item for life for durability. I want to see if I can EARN $1500 and get a replacement by this time next month, so this is putting the clamps down on my already-decapitated-chicken pace, but I have time this weekend, imagine that!

P.S. anyone got a loaner and want to go ride somewhere far away and back?

Old 06-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #14
Zombie_Stomp OP
Aspiring human

I would also like to mention that there is bad mojo/ motorcycle debt owed BY ME.

I rebuilt a bike similar to mine with good results but was paranoid that it wasn't 100% right. I nervously offered the option of borrowing my bike if it didn't turn out right and the customer laughed. It turned out 100% right and is still his fave bike, AFAIK.

Same guy, another similar bike, tighter time line (first one tool 11 months to get all the parts together) and all parts are supposed to be there but are not. I freak out and finish it and it's all wrong. Instead of asking for my mototrcycle loan until I get it right as offered before, he flips out. I flip out. We say "f you" to each other and he excommunicates me because I can't pay someone else to do it ( I am no longer trustworthy) / I don't offer to redo it. The plan was to flip it for a huge profit and I don't like that either.

I don't like debts. I don't have any credit. The real irony going on here is that I just so happened to be writing this person a transferrable credit (so it can be sold to someone who still trusts me) for the MANY services, including riding gear customization and pannier/ custom tank bag making and reupholstery (I can't fuck that up, right?), whatever I have to offer, to make this right, WITHIN THE TIME WINDOW the bike was stolen! Weird!!!! This is not an accusation, either, on ANYONE, just an oddity and something I owed and was taking secret steps to fix.

Old 06-26-2011, 05:43 PM   #15
ObiJohn
Screaming Banshee

Oddometer: 459
Dude, bad karma had nothing to do with it. Parking it out on the street at night, with limited visibility, and not securing the bike had everything to do with it. Someone saw this, probably for a couple of nights, and put together a plan to load it up and take off with it.

I hope you get your bike back, but I doubt you'll ever see it. I hope you've called the police and given them the VIN... that's your only hope.

I had my car stolen a couple of decades ago. I've learned never to park where a thief might have an easy time of it. My bikes are in a garage, or securely locked with a cable lock AND a disk brake lock. My strategy is to make it too much of a hassle, so they move on to someone else.
ObiJohn is offline   Reply With Quote