ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Day Trippin'
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-26-2011, 06:53 AM   #166
this is a RV
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Joined: Apr 2008
Location: Festus MO
Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I have always heard others say how bad the traffic is in leaf season and I have never found it to be all that bad. So do you think the traffic is worse in the summer than in leaf season?
I found the the car and RV traffic was light. 6-13 - 6-18 more bikes then cars
this is a RV is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:11 AM   #167
Photo Boy
Adventurer
 
Photo Boy's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Tampa, Florida
Oddometer: 70
I've found the traffic on the BRP to always be light during the week. I never go on the weekend, especially a holiday weekend.
Photo Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:00 PM   #168
BreakNeckSpeed
Adventurer
 
BreakNeckSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: the lowcountry of south carolina
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
I have always heard others say how bad the traffic is in leaf season and I have never found it to be all that bad. So do you think the traffic is worse in the summer than in leaf season?
I would say the summer is definitly more traffic, school is out and everyone takes vacation. I think the leaf season is more the retired crowd taking a Sunday drive.
If you've never taken the side trip to Linville Gorge, it's a must.
BreakNeckSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:07 PM   #169
pilesofmiles
Life is an Adventure
 
pilesofmiles's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2006
Location: Western NC
Oddometer: 711
Blue Ridge Parkway

I could not agree more about the BRP. Its only a short 2 hour ride for me to the top of Mt. Mitchell, the highest peak on the east coast.

I love the cool temps and the views most riders just read about. Took my bike for its first ride up to the top of Mt. Mitchell, a great day.

Mt. Mitchell a great destiny and altitude-

__________________
"Life is no dress rehearsal"

pilesofmiles screwed with this post 06-26-2011 at 01:13 PM
pilesofmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:27 PM   #170
BreakNeckSpeed
Adventurer
 
BreakNeckSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: the lowcountry of south carolina
Oddometer: 19



A buddy of mine showed me this road that runs around the rim of the
gorge. It's called Kistler Memorial Highway, NC 1238. It is recomended for off road capable vehicles only and a blast to ride!
BreakNeckSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #171
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
rockinrog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central PA
Oddometer: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakNeckSpeed View Post
I would say the summer is definitly more traffic, school is out and everyone takes vacation. I think the leaf season is more the retired crowd taking a Sunday drive.
If you've never taken the side trip to Linville Gorge, it's a must.
Cool, what route is the gorge on? I will probably take my now annual ride down the parkway in Mod October. Now that I've done the entire pkwy I will have to start exploring things like this that are just off the pkwy.
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:34 PM   #172
BreakNeckSpeed
Adventurer
 
BreakNeckSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: the lowcountry of south carolina
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesofmiles View Post
I could not agree more about the BRP. Its only a short 2 hour ride for me to the top of Mt. Mitchell, the highest peak on the east coast.

I love the cool temps and the views most riders just read about. Took my bike for its first ride up to the top of Mt. Mitchell, a great day.

Mt. Mitchell a great destiny and altitude-

way cool, highest parking lot in the eastern united states!!!
looks oddly familar...i thought i had my bike in the picture though.
BreakNeckSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:36 PM   #173
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
rockinrog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central PA
Oddometer: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesofmiles View Post
I could not agree more about the BRP. Its only a short 2 hour ride for me to the top of Mt. Mitchell, the highest peak on the east coast.

I love the cool temps and the views most riders just read about. Took my bike for its first ride up to the top of Mt. Mitchell, a great day.

Mt. Mitchell a great destiny and altitude-

I made it up there once, it was rainy, windy and cold I will have to stop again when the weathers better. We were going to camp for the night, but my buddy didn't like that you couldn't see the bikes from the camping area. As I recall you had to park and carry everything in.
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:39 PM   #174
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
rockinrog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central PA
Oddometer: 2,758
Full campgrounds would probably worry me more than traffic. I like to stretch the day and camp just before dark. If you get there and the campground is full ... well riding around in the dark looking for a place to stay isn't my favorite thing.
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 01:56 PM   #175
BreakNeckSpeed
Adventurer
 
BreakNeckSpeed's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: the lowcountry of south carolina
Oddometer: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
Cool, what route is the gorge on? I will probably take my now annual ride down the parkway in Mod October. Now that I've done the entire pkwy I will have to start exploring things like this that are just off the pkwy.
get off the parkway at Linville Falls, Hwy 221, go about a mile or so and bear left on route 183. Kistler Memorial Highway and the Linville Gorge Wilderness Area entrance is just a few hundred yards down on the right. at the top of the first rise take the left fork to the overlook to the gorge. i would highly recommend continuing on from there on Kistler Mem. Hwy but, when you reach the other end you'll have to use the gps to get back to the parkway or retrace your route.



BreakNeckSpeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 04:49 PM   #176
onetravdown
I can't ride where?
 
onetravdown's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2007
Location: The garbage state
Oddometer: 883
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockinrog View Post
It looks a little different in late May.



Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesofmiles View Post
I was there last year.

onetravdown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:08 PM   #177
Rustic
Pass the gas.
 
Rustic's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Asheville, NC
Oddometer: 114
Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakNeckSpeed View Post


A buddy of mine showed me this road that runs around the rim of the
gorge. It's called Kistler Memorial Highway, NC 1238. It is recomended for off road capable vehicles only and a blast to ride!

Mmmm, love the old RT. Had one back in the day.


Anyway, go for it. Summer weekends with blue skies bring out the RVs and minivans... can't be avoided. Maybe more traffic than in the fall but at least it'll be moving. The leaf peepers, on the other hand, stop right in the middle of the road and ooh and aah as if no one else cares.
Aside: I flew into a BRP tunnel near Cherokee once only to have my headlight reflect on a car stopped in my lane. No lights... nothing. They were just sitting there enjoying the dark and quiet, I guess. Barely missed 'em. Glad no one was coming the other direction. Point being, even though the BRP is naturally relaxing, don't lose your focus.
If you're lucky, it'll be on the rainy side and you'll have the whole thing mostly to yourself. No two BRP rides are exactly the same, if you pay attention. And I don't know of a better place to get stuck in traffic.
Enjoy the ride.
Rustic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 06:44 PM   #178
Liberia
Fortunate
 
Liberia's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2010
Location: Murfreesboro, TN
Oddometer: 561
Thanks for a great ride report

Your report was well done and brought back good memories.

Last year my wife and I flew to Boston, picked up a KLR and road it back home to Tennessee. It was a good trip (other than the stock seat). We stayed in hotels rather than camping. We started in Front Royal on the Skyline and left the BRP at Boone, NC. That was by far the nicest part of the trip. But part of the MA/PA/NY section wasn't bad either.

All of our meals were off the parkway and we found a couple of simple but nice places.

Our ride was in July but it ended up being the coolest week of the summer. It was also during the week and there was very little traffic.

Thanks again for your report. A link to our trip is in the signature.
__________________
"You can get everything in life you want if you'll just help enough other people get what they want." Zig Ziglar

Join our 54 Tennessee State Parks Ride Collaborative! [My Ride Reports here.]
Liberia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:34 PM   #179
rockinrog OP
Beastly Adventurer
 
rockinrog's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2008
Location: Central PA
Oddometer: 2,758
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liberia View Post
Your report was well done and brought back good memories.

Last year my wife and I flew to Boston, picked up a KLR and road it back home to Tennessee. It was a good trip (other than the stock seat). We stayed in hotels rather than camping. We started in Front Royal on the Skyline and left the BRP at Boone, NC. That was by far the nicest part of the trip. But part of the MA/PA/NY section wasn't bad either.

All of our meals were off the parkway and we found a couple of simple but nice places.

Our ride was in July but it ended up being the coolest week of the summer. It was also during the week and there was very little traffic.

Thanks again for your report. A link to our trip is in the signature.
Thank you for the kind words. The first time I visited the parkway I had read a little, but really didn't know what it was. I liked it so much I went back the next year and the next. If I don't make it down before, I will still make my normal mid October visit Lord Willing. I will check out your ride report.
rockinrog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:42 AM   #180
GlennR
Playin' in the Fire
 
GlennR's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2010
Location: Boone,NC
Oddometer: 1,841
Btw,

The BRP is a beautiful ride "but" the speed limit is 45mph and since it is a federal highway speeding fines must be paid within 7 days.... Ask me how I know.

Also remember that most of the roads that the BRP crosses are great curvy mountain roads too. Do yourself a favor and get off the BRP to explore and you'll find jewels that the tourists and cops don't clutter so much.

I live within 20 minutes of the BRP and only ride it occasionally. I prefer to explore the less beaten paths.
GlennR is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 05:32 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014