Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-28-2011, 01:26 AM   #16
RVDan
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,322
If you accidentally get bear spray on yourself and in your eyes, you'll be okay after a few minutes of fllushing with water.

If you accidentally get wasp spray in your eyes, you'll probably be okay in a day or two

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedRocker
You can never have too much hook.
RVDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 05:24 AM   #17
Moto-Kafe
Gnarly Entre-manure

Oddometer: 476
Can dedicated (i.e. manufactured for) "Bear Spray" be carried across the Canadian Border from the USA w/o question or harrassement?? I've seen a couple of "Ride Reports" where the question is proposed from the Canadian Border Guard......."are you carrying Bear Spray"??
Moto-Kafe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:16 AM   #18
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,735
When you cross bury the bear spray in the bottom of your camping gear. Repeat after me "Bear spray is not a weapon, it's a camping tool.".

If they ask you you have any weapons say "No, just camping gear."

If they ask if you have bear spray, say "Yes sir, packed in with the rest of my camping gear.".

If you get an asshole customs officer who wants to seize it, ask VERY, VERY politely to speak with a supervisor about his interpretation of bear spray as a weapon.

If you get brushed off, again politely ask to speak to a supervisor. It's legal to own and purchase in Canada as camping gear. And a supervisor will 99/100 back yiou up, especially if you're being polite about it.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:51 AM   #19
Strong Bad
n00balicious

Oddometer: 3,748
http://www.backpacker.com/ask_a_bear...aily_dirt/1902

The only thing they have in common is that they come in aerosol cans and shoot pretty far.

Bear Spray is a non-toxic irritant. The active ingredient in bear spray is oleoresin of capsicum which are the oils in chiles that make them hot.

Wasp spray is toxic to insects but may not be an irritant. The active ingredient in wasp spray are pyrethroids, which attack the central nervous system of insects.

Would you use bear spray on wasps?
Old 06-29-2011, 01:43 PM   #20
SteveJ
n00b, but I have beer...

Oddometer: 124
Bear Bangers are more fun, Google is your friend if ya never heard of 'em.
SteveJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 07:23 PM   #21
TavisB
@TavisB

Oddometer: 378
Go do a test spray of each and stand in the cloud produced. You'll know which is effective (trust me).
Old 06-29-2011, 08:54 PM   #22
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
Alot of folks worry about the border crossing with spray. You can always buy it up here. We gots a lot of stuff the first world has.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:13 PM   #23
dougfromindy
I smell premix

Oddometer: 2,209
atgatt bear proof suit good for riding also

This guy spent his entire life making this suit, he collects spiderwebs and mixes them with epoxy to create about the strongest material ever made. watch: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sLUdt...eature=related
dougfromindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 08:00 AM   #24
dfwscotty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,160
Let us know how good it works.

1999 BMW 1100GS
2012 Kawasaki Concours
dfwscotty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 PM   #25
mike2010
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVDan View Post
If you accidentally get bear spray on yourself and in your eyes, you'll be okay after a few minutes of fllushing with water.

If you accidentally get wasp spray in your eyes, you'll probably be okay in a day or two
Wasp spray for self defense and as an animal attack deterrent is a bad idea. It is a myth! Stick with the Pepper Spray & Bear Spray. Wasp spray is unproven and has never been tested on humans or animals. In fact, the EPA recommends Bear Spray, which is a proven tool used by Wildlife and Law Enforcement Professionals Worldwide. Quit spreading this stupid wasp spray myth before somebody gets hurt or worse killed!
mike2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 06:27 PM   #26
75bronco
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 278
My2cents. On a few occasions, after a few beers, i have tried to shoot wasp, with wasp spray, facing INTO the wind. I am not sure wether its the beers or the spray, but i felt absolutely...zilch, nada, nothing. Then again, after chopping a few hot peppers, without washing my hands, I put my contacts in, HOLY MOTHER OF FUCKIN GOD WHO PUT THE RED HOT POKER IN MY EYE,, I lay on the ground for half an hour moaning like a little girl. There,,,,real life examples.
75bronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 10:18 PM   #27
B.C.Biker
mighty fine

Oddometer: 614
Nothing like real life experiance !
Old 07-27-2011, 08:39 AM   #28
BluePill
AARP Slacker

Oddometer: 4,463

Ain't no one got no imagination?

Bear spray in the right holster, Wasp spray in the left. Then you're ready for either critter.

Good enuf fur the Lone Ranger is good enuf fur me!
Old 08-07-2011, 03:28 AM   #29
IKIGAI
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 951
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark444 View Post
Can dedicated (i.e. manufactured for) "Bear Spray" be carried across the Canadian Border from the USA w/o question or harrassement?? I've seen a couple of "Ride Reports" where the question is proposed from the Canadian Border Guard......."are you carrying Bear Spray"??
Not only can you,...but now, you have too,.....

http://www.vancouversun.com/travel/H...679/story.html

A new Parks Canada rule that makes bear spray mandatory on one Banff hiking trail has claimed its first victim.
Korean student Han Kang received a $400 fine after he was caught July 17 without bear spray on the Lake Minnewanka Trail.
Kang pleaded guilty in Canmore provincial court this week to the offence, along with not being in a group of four hikers, another restriction on the trail.

Contravening the National Park Act regulation results in a mandatory court appearance and a fine of up to $25,000.

Kinda makes that $6.95 can of wasp spray, a bit of a false economy now doesn't it.
IKIGAI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2011, 08:52 PM   #30
Englishmatt OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 523
Got back from the trip.

Thanks to all that contributed to this thread, but a reminder (especially to the past post) is that this WAS NOT about saving a few $$$ on Wasp Spray vs. Bear Spray, tt was more about the idea of "I'd been told about it, so was there anything to it?".

After coming back from my trip and riding through BC, where we saw so many bears it got boring, the point is kinda mute...bear spray it is, every time!!!

FWIW, the border guards asked every time "Where we carrying Bear Spray?"....and even asked to see the container. We crossed back and forth from the US to CA about six (6) times.

Thanks again...

Matt.

"I can't lead, I go too fast..." Scott Hinkle, 4/2010
Englishmatt is offline   Reply With Quote