Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 11:27 AM   #3571
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
Arte is right. The military often take the firearms of local police and investigate the local police. Nice flood pic, looks like here.
The Army frequently set up checkpoints in front of the industrial park i worked in. I always laughed when i looked out side and the police were stopped and spread out over the truck as the soldiers patted them down and dug EVERYTHING out of their vehicles to inspect them.
Old 06-25-2011, 12:37 PM   #3572
Gringo Viejo
n00b

Oddometer: 8
Sasabe,AZ/MX

Sasabe is a little border crossing southwest of Tucson, most famous (according to the local press) for illegal border crossing and drug smuggling. A few weekends back, I took my 4X4 LR Disco and crossed the border (alone) for a little scouting trip for a future GS ride. 15 miles into Mexico, I heard a "BANG"...flat tire. The only other vehicle I had seen previously on this dirt road was a pickup full of 8 or 9 young men probably heading north to the US. As i struggle with the jack and spare, another pickup stops, an old guy jumps out, grabs my lug wrench and proceeds to change the tire for me, in sprite of my protestations that I didn't need any help. Afterwards, we shared a couple of cold cokes from my cooler and I spoke bad Spanish to his equally bad English. He refused to take any money, but I insisted and shoved a fiver in his pocket. As I used my only spare tire, I returned home, as while I believe that Mexico is relatively safe, driving off-pavement with no spare is not!

It has been refreshing to see so many people on this thread with the same experiences of Mexico as I have had. Que le vaya bien!
Gringo Viejo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:46 PM   #3573
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,203
^ Good story
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 12:54 PM   #3574
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
Right! but do not come if your bike is not a Triple purpose (amphibious)

Rain effects of June 22, right behind the Sierra Madre bar

Oh Jesus!

I was in Reynosa last night, watching Mexico beat The Netherlands (3-2 ) and saw the news, but my Spanish being so bad I didn't catch what part of town all the flooding was in.

Anyway ... the front of the Sierra Madre floods too, in that access road that parallels the main street. And there is a metal grate there that will trap motorcycle tires. I like to point that out to folks as to why they need to be careful in Mexico, because the grate is impossible to see when the water is high.

Good luck Arte!
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 01:04 PM   #3575
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post

I drove around a little bit last night.

There was a Metropolitan Cop on foot watching the new no-parking zone at the Centro but no other cops in sight. I started to give him crap about his buddies that tried to shake Mark815 and me down over a year ago but decided that there wasn't any point in that.

Went down to Boys Town and the place is dead, dead, dead. It's been falling down ever since I was hitting the place, but now several of the bars are closed, the girls are relatively scarce, and much of the place looks like it's getting remodeled with a bulldozer.

Anyway you usually see a couple of cops around Boys Town and a few downtown and I didn't see many on this trip.

Incidentally, someone (The Mayor?) was parked in front of the Mayor's Office (in the otherwise No Parking Zone) with a caravan of three virtually identical white Cadillac Escalades a few days ago. Just FYI guys.

I left the Mission Bar around 11PM last night and realized that there was basically no one left downtown, and that all the vehicles parked around that end of the Centro were basically nicer pickups, cars, and SUVs that corresponded to the folks drinking at the Mission Bar. Everyone else downtown had boogied out.
Old 06-25-2011, 09:51 PM   #3576
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,485
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
34 twitt's today, most of them to please the thread. Where is kiko?
The only Mexicano here

¿Qué es lo que pasó en México que nos ha llevado a esta situación que nadie quiere?, ¿Qué es lo que no ocurría antes y que ahora sí ocurre?
Estoy aqui con mis vecinos :

Mexico 4 EUA 2

Somos los Campeones de la Copa del Oro!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-26-2011, 11:26 PM   #3577
Travis Lutter
MMA

Oddometer: 70
I rode From TX to Baja across to the main land on the ferry and back up to TX. The only problem I had was in Palm Springs Cali had my Tank bag stolen. In mexico no problems,

Trav
Travis Lutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 09:05 AM   #3578
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiko View Post
Estoy aqui con mis vecinos :

Mexico 4 EUA 2

Somos los Campeones de la Copa del Oro!!!!!!!!!
Looks like you having fun there I'm camping in Tx. Have you seen anything suspicious in Mexico ?

Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 07:05 PM   #3579
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

I haven't seen anything suspicious down here. I did hear on the street though that Felipe Calderon's wife is the cousin of El Chapo "Shorty" Guzman, the head of the Sinaloa cartel. Funny the Feds never seem to get close to him. Go figure. They did manage to catch the head of La Familia last week in Aquascalientes.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:56 PM   #3580
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
I haven't seen anything suspicious down here. I did hear on the street though that Felipe Calderon's wife is the cousin of El Chapo "Shorty" Guzman, the head of the Sinaloa cartel. Funny the Feds never seem to get close to him. Go figure. They did manage to catch the head of La Familia last week in Aquascalientes.
Damn! we getting close to election expect to hear and see more heard that he turn himself in drove to a check point

Bato screwed with this post 06-27-2011 at 08:09 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 05:28 AM   #3581
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
They did manage to catch the head of La Familia last week in Aquascalientes.
He had some interesting comments ...

Arrested kingpin says Mexican cartel nearing extinction

Published June 24, 2011 | EFE

MEXICO CITY – Jesus "El Chango" Mendez, leader of the La Familia Michoacana drug cartel, told authorities after his arrest this week that the organization is close to complete collapse, Mexico's Public Safety Secretariat said.

The detainee, who was captured in a police operation in the central state of Aguascalientes without putting up any resistance, said in remarks released Thursday that La Familia is "going to be dismantled" and that its days are numbered.

Mendez is one of the founders of the gang that emerged in the western state of Michoacan in 2006 and is known for its pseudo-religious ideology and for portraying itself as the defender of the state's residents.
Old 06-28-2011, 06:52 AM   #3582
Tall Man
Freelancer

Oddometer: 977
This is from a friend in the international security business:

"... just got back from a security detail in Ciudad Juarez.

Guns there are in the hands exclusively of the most violent, while genuinely good people are prohibited from possessing them. And, when BHO claims to worry about 'militarizing the border,' he needn't. It is already the most militarized border in this Hemisphere. Only the USA is (voluntarily) unrepresented!

Driving in from El Paso, travelers are greeted by a barrage of signs, in English and Spanish, warning that firearms are prohibited, and stiff prison sentences will be imposed upon any who dare try to have some means of self-protection. But, in this region where violent death exceeds levels in Kabul and Baghdad combined, one can only wonder who are obeying this no-gun rule!

Legal ownership of guns in Mexico, by normal citizens, is nearly impossible. However, everywhere you turn, police and military troops are armed to the teeth. Meanwhile, equally well-armed cartel members, in contemptuous defiance of government and the law, create fake military road blocks in an effort to steal SUVs, trucks, and other vehicles, always (your guessed it!) at gunpoint.

Military personnel, thanks to HK's transparent magazines, obviously carry fully-charged magazines, unlike our own military who, when deployed to aid civil authority, carry empty guns. I'm not sure what they think they're going to learn from us!

Cartel violence is now expanding into Reynosa and Monterrey.

I continue to warn prospective travelers to avoid all border areas, indeed avoid the entire country!"

Comments: Blundering, incompetent, dishonest governments, on both sides of the border, make this terrible situation more-or-less permanent. The safety and welfare of good and decent citizens is positively the last thing either government apparently ever worries about!

As individuals, all of us need to understand that we are the only ones who care about the future of this civilization. The shrewd, pro-active, suspicious, and well-prepared might live to see it.

Few of the rest have much chance!

http://www.defense-training.com/quips/17June11.html
Tall Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:06 AM   #3583
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Well if you believe the Mexican Fed's statistics, since they moved Tijuana's sheriff to Juarez about 6 months ago, murder rate is now down 60%. He has a "take no prisoners" attitude.

111 Americans murdered in Mexico last year, and about 1/2 of them werre involved in the drug trade in Juarez or other border cities. Over 1000 Americans murdered in Puerto Rico last year. Think about, You don't see the fear mongers warning anyone about traveling to Puerto Rico.

I know it may be hard to believe, but if you read history, Mexico has been thru worse times and will survive this. There need to be a lot of changes on both sides of the border though,
Old 06-28-2011, 07:25 AM   #3584
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,203
I think a fall trip to revisit Durango or revisit Oaxaca, or both, is formulating in the dark reaches of my mind.....
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:29 AM   #3585
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,568
308 Americans (well maybe a couple Canadians or someone else may have slipped in there) were murdered in Detroit last year.

Source Reuters

Using my irrefutable logic, Detroit is probably smaller than Mexico. So, if 111 gringos were murdered in all of Mexico last year, Detroit is by far more dangerous. Especially if you figure the geographic concentration of murders.

For some odd reason, people still insist on going to Lions / Tigers games, and taking their lives in their hands.

Foolishly last year, a friend and I rode up I-75 (Michigan Roulette @ 80mph) and ate at a BBQ place in the shadow of the old Michigan Southern Depot. We could have DIED! Just for BBQ ribs and locally brewed BEER!

And in other newz, a crooked govenor, from a crooked city, in a (somewhat) crooked state, got convicted by the Federales of trying to steal / sell the Senate seat of a (insert adjective) Senator who moved onto other (adjective) things. That, and he tried to extort campaign contributions from a CHILDREN'S HOSPITAL.

Crappy Peoplez is everywheres. Good Peoples is everywheres.
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote