Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-17-2011, 02:25 AM   #91
tattewell
Mad Poser

Oddometer: 740
Just found this, interesting as they have gone full circle on the whole oil thing, my 04 450 has 2 pumps, 2 filters and holds 1.3 litres, probably the same volume, though im not sure.

I say embrace EFI, its here to stay.

As for the 690 merged thread fest, its not a lie, but its not the whole story either.

I have had a 690 for 2.5 years now, and have not had a single issue with it... at all. I suspect I am not the only one.

Either way, the new 500 looks beautiful, would trade my left nut for one... dont need that one anyways.
tattewell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2011, 06:32 AM   #92
CodyY
ADVenture Capitalist

Oddometer: 9,479
+1 all counts.

Iphorde has TWO 690's and both versions of the 350. All spot-on.

My old man used to tell me "believe none of what ya hear, and half of what ya read". Well, I've ridden the bikes.
Old 06-17-2011, 07:34 AM   #93
mxbundy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 852
Quote:
Originally Posted by tattewell View Post
Just found this, interesting as they have gone full circle on the whole oil thing, my 04 450 has 2 pumps, 2 filters and holds 1.3 litres, probably the same volume, though im not sure.

I say embrace EFI, its here to stay.

As for the 690 merged thread fest, its not a lie, but its not the whole story either.

I have had a 690 for 2.5 years now, and have not had a single issue with it... at all. I suspect I am not the only one.

Either way, the new 500 looks beautiful, would trade my left nut for one... dont need that one anyways.
I find myself staring at your avitar with a crazed look on my face! OH CANADA!

Oh and I want a 500exc also!

Bundy

Check out http://seatconcepts.com/ , your ass will appreciate it!
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621311
mxbundy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 06:17 PM   #94
Visigothic OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 182
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudguts View Post
Read the berg thread and the fi is spot on , the new KTM's will have FI same as the berg NOT 690's , My 500exc arrives next month
We expect a full report on it, everything and I mean everything
Visigothic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2011, 09:07 PM   #95
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
Any idea when the 500 will be available in the US? I went to buy a 530 this week and my dealer is still trying to locate one. Maybe I should wait.....but how long?
Old 06-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #96
kaiden
Adventurer

Oddometer: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob599 View Post
Any idea when the 500 will be available in the US? I went to buy a 530 this week and my dealer is still trying to locate one. Maybe I should wait.....but how long?

+1 --- Yes I would like to know this as well! I am waiting and waiting and waiting.... As soon as I know what the TRUE U.S Specs are I am going to plunk down my deposit FAST! I just need to know that there are major changes worth waiting... is all....

I want to die in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming and yelling like the passengers in his car..
kaiden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 05:52 AM   #97
gmtcm
KTM RIDER

Oddometer: 312
After the Dealer Show the 26-28 we should have the answers to many of our questions. Right now you can download the "Owners Manual" on the web which covers the XC-W USA, but not the EXC USA version of this bike. Just Google "2012 KTM 500 EXC Owners Manual" and it will come up.
gmtcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 07:40 AM   #98
Yzlvr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 843
I cant wait..
Yzlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2011, 08:37 AM   #99
BSchu
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Click on the video link here.....

http://www.ktm-parts.com/12500EXC.html
Sure sounds crisp enough to be FI!
BSchu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:57 PM   #100
Bob599
Bob599

Oddometer: 284
I'm out

Screw it! I bought a 530. Couldn't wait any longer. I am old and slow, so it doesn't matter as much for me.
Old 06-28-2011, 09:20 PM   #101
gmtcm
KTM RIDER

Oddometer: 312
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob599 View Post
Screw it! I bought a 530. Couldn't wait any longer. I am old and slow, so it doesn't matter as much for me.
Keep an eye on the oil level of your 530. I saw the 2012 KTM 500 details my dealer brought back from the dealer show in St Paul. For the EXC USA version, I'm not fond of the black rims and spokes. I could be wrong, but the GIANT rims may come from China. Who knows! the entire bike may be marketed by Ta Ta in India (just kidding).
gmtcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:35 PM   #102
timedpolaris
Tim

Oddometer: 11
Just got back from the dealer show in St Paul and the new 500 is awesome! It has all the "controllable" power you could ever want and is very light! Runs, rides, & tracks awesome!
Attached Images

Troy, NY 12180
518-663-5573
edelmann@wildblue.net
www.edelmannsales.com
timedpolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 03:39 PM   #103
timedpolaris
Tim

Oddometer: 11
2012 KTM 500 EXC Street Legal

Enough is never enough for all those who are forever seeking a little bit more, KTM has created the 500 EXC. Perfectly controllable power in extravagant proportions, low weight and an unsurpassed chassis characterise an enduro of remarkable versatility: a sensational fighting machine and absolutely reliable workhorse rolled into one, the indisputable benchmark in terms of weight and rideability. At any rate, there's no way to avoid to 500 EXC on the path to the podium in the E3 class.

NEW ENGINE
With the 500 EXC's newly developed engine, KTM engineers have created a new dimension: The power unit has been redesigned from scratch and is now more compact, lighter and more powerful than before. Reduced reciprocating weight and a balancer shaft minimise vibration.

NEW SILENCER
The 500 EXC's new, improved silencer not only offers greater volume and a new design, it also reduces noise levels to the stricter standards of the future.

NEW CYLINDER HEAD
All ports and the combustion chamber have been redesigned in the OHC cylinder head of the 500 EXC's new engine. The new camshaft actuates four valves via lightweight rocker arms. High-quality titanium valves are used on the intake side. As before, the cylinder head cover mounted at an angle simplifies service work.

NEW CYLINDER AND PISTON
The 500 EXC's cylinder has been further developed especially for the new engine configuration. The new, 15 % lighter forged piston minimises reciprocating weight and optimises durability at high engine speeds. New, nitrided piston rings ensure highest levels of resistance to wear.

NEW CRANKSHAFT
When designing the new crankshaft on the 450 EXC, KTM engineers focussed on reducing the reciprocating weight. Thanks to the new, lighter connecting rod and the new, lighter piston, they managed to achieve minimum vibration, while maximising engine-speed strength.

NEW ENGINE CASE
The 500 EXC's new engine case weighs almost 2 kg (4 lb.) less than its predecessor, although it offers better resistance to damage due to stone impact or falls. This has been achieved by using a high-strength, elastic aluminium alloy and changing from sand-casting to die-casting.

NEW BALANCER SHAFT
The 500 EXC's new, more compact balancer shaft not only eliminates vibration, but also serves as the drive for the water pump. This intelligent multi-functionality contributes to the compactness and low weight of the 500 EXC's new engine.

NEW OIL CIRCUIT
The 500 EXC's new engine is equipped with a common oil circuit for engine and transmission, and two oil pumps. A pressure pump lubricates the engine, while a suction pump draws oil from the crankcase, using it to lubricate the transmission and the clutch. At the same time and in conjunction with a steel diaphragm, negative pressure arises in the casing, which boosts the engine power.

NEW EFI/EMS
The newly developed Keihin engine management system with electronic fuel injection ensures spontaneous responsiveness from the engine. Various engine characteristics can be activated with an optional map select switch.

NEW CLUTCH
The 500 EXC's newly developed clutch, with a robust steel cage and transmission-friendly back-damping, makes use of a spring washer for the first time instead of the customary conical springs, hence substantially reducing the operating force. The hydraulic actuation mechanism from Brembo® facilitates sensitive modulation of the clutch.

NEW FRAME
The completely revamped frame made from high-quality chrome-molybdenum steel is characterised by even greater lateral stiffness. Furthermore, it is even better at absorbing jolts introduced by the suspension system, whereby the simple handling and comfort of the 500 EXC have been further optimised.

NEW SWINGARM, NEW PDS, NEW SETTING
The 450 EXC's new, lighter, cast aluminium swingarm accommodates the shock absorber more centrally, in order to load the swing arms more evenly. The new, 7 mm (0.28 in) longer PDS shock absorber with adjustable rebound and high/low-speed compression damping, and a new setting is installed more flatly, so providing even more progression.

TELESCOPIC FORK, NEW SETTING
The 500 EXC is equipped with the latest WP upside-down fork with wider adjustment ranges and a new setting. The sensitive responsiveness and outstanding damping of the open-cartridge fork with 48 mm (1.89 in) outer tubes are a perfect complement for the 500 EXC's simple handling and precision.

NEW WHEELS
Practically unbeatable in terms of weight and stability, the new wheels have CNC-machined hubs, Excel rims, zinc/nickel-coated spokes and aluminium nipples. They reduce the unsprung and gyroscopic masses, hence bolstering the simple handling of the 500 EXC.

BODYWORK
The 500 EXC's new bodywork with the very slim seat and spoiler lines, plus excellent contact points, perfects the bike's ergonomics, making handling even simpler and more precise. The longer rear fender protects the rider even more effectively from swirled up stones.
Troy, NY 12180
518-663-5573
edelmann@wildblue.net
www.edelmannsales.com
timedpolaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 07:58 AM   #104
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 477
Hey Tim,

Great to see you on here! Do you have any info on when they should hit the dealer showroom here in the US?

Thanks,
Jim
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

KTM SUPER ENDURO
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 08:02 AM   #105
deminimis
I Eat Glue

Oddometer: 696
YZ85 for The Boy
deminimis is offline   Reply With Quote