Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2011, 08:04 AM   #3616
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,822
Quote:
Originally Posted by mark883 View Post
What's the timing of this fine event? I'd love to voyage on down. I just have this problem. Work interferes with my riding. Somedays, it just makes me wish I had a drinking problem.

Maybe with a firm date range, I could dictate the schedule around here.

(DdeM is day after/before halloween or something? That's pretty much the end of rainy season, right?)
November 1st. Its November 1st every year. All Saints Day.
Old 06-29-2011, 09:07 AM   #3617
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,747
Quote:
What's the timing of this fine event? I'd love to voyage on down. I just have this problem. Work interferes with my riding. Somedays, it just makes me wish I had a drinking problem.

Maybe with a firm date range, I could dictate the schedule around here.

(DdeM is day after/before halloween or something? That's pretty much the end of rainy season, right?)
Just after rainy season - typically.

My little adventure will cover the last week of October and first week of November. This should provide time to explore Catemaco and Pueblos Magicos on the way down and Huatulco/Pto Escondido/MX200/Mil Cumbres on the return. Hoping to meet MikeMike and do a little riding with him as well. Will spend last Sat/Sun in Mexico City.

Would be happy to have you along. Certainly understand the job thing.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 09:12 AM   #3618
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
November 1st and 2nd, the first night to honor children and the following for deceased adult family members. 31 October is spent decorating the cemetary and getting the house ready, and preparing food. The actual prep for this really lasts longer than that.

There is a fine line between personal, familiy oriented remembrance of the dead and public theater. While strangers are usually welcome and, in Oaxaca, the event is a thinly veiled tourist attraction, it is best remembered that polite interaction, keeping a bit of a distance, and asking before taking photographs, etc, go hand in hand in keeping everyone happy.

Yes, tours are organized and sell out in Oaxaca for both 1 and 2 November, and there are crowds in the cemetaries. It is a huge street party with parades, festivals, fireworks and all the rest. Photos from last year's Oaxaca Dia de los Muertos are in my ride report.

I never could square with taking photographs of family vigils, and didn't even desire to ask permission to do so as that felt awkward. Plenty of others felt otherwise, or just blindly snapped away. The graciousness of the Mexican family knows almost no bounds, and in this arena, all were unfailingly polite.

Oaxaca is a very easy reach, directly via autopista if you wish, or a fun mountainous ride from Veracruz state.

Of course it's not the only place in Mexico that celebrates Dia de los Muertos, but it's probably the best.
For 2012 (if we're all still here) I'm planning for Dia de los Muertos in Patzcuaro, Michoacan. This is the other town people mention alot.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 06-29-2011, 11:07 AM   #3619
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot815 View Post
PS90's are very cool.

Not sure if it was licensed. I know in Fresnillo, where I used to live, the wealthier kids all cruised around on ATVs. They were never licensed but because of who was driving them, the police never bothered them. In fact the transito was pretty much non-existent in Fresnillo. It seemed like anybody could drive anything. It was common to see real young kids on scooters and police just didnt seem to care.
Bet there more things that you can't do here in the states than in Mexico
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:18 AM   #3620
mark883
Holding up Michoagán

Oddometer: 1,571
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Just after rainy season - typically.

My little adventure will cover the last week of October and first week of November. This should provide time to explore Catemaco and Pueblos Magicos on the way down and Huatulco/Pto Escondido/MX200/Mil Cumbres on the return. Hoping to meet MikeMike and do a little riding with him as well. Will spend last Sat/Sun in Mexico City.

Would be happy to have you along. Certainly understand the job thing.
I might really need to consider that. Maybe strategic thinking and scheduling can make that work. What stinks is my needing 3 days to get to the bottom Texas. Yah, maybe I could make it in two, but something always screws that up. (Hey, look at that big red blob on the radar!) Oaxaca is on my list- but looking at the map, its almost like saying, "Hey, lets go to Guatemala!" Order another fresh set of Anakees.....
mark883 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:22 AM   #3621
Colbycheese
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
As a conservative pro-gun pro-Mexican kinda guy I gotta agree with you PJ. Dangit! It's happened AGAIN!

BTW, I got to fire a .22 rifle on a private ranch outside Chihuahua City last March. First time for that. In Mexico.
Pics or it didn't happen

/I didn't touch it b/c I didn't want to embarrass myself with those iron sights

...and I have to agree that "security" guy had some ideological slant going on. It read more like an annoying email forward.
Old 06-29-2011, 11:32 AM   #3622
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
I might really need to consider that. Maybe strategic thinking and scheduling can make that work. What stinks is my needing 3 days to get to the bottom Texas. Yah, maybe I could make it in two, but something always screws that up. (Hey, look at that big red blob on the radar!) Oaxaca is on my list- but looking at the map, its almost like saying, "Hey, lets go to Guatemala!" Order another fresh set of Anakees.....
Pay a carrier to haul it to Austin or San Antonio then fly down. I'm told it's really affordable if you shop around. Doesn't take any room from the cages. 3 days becomes 1/2 day. Net out the cost of riding down from the transport and airfare.

Just brainstorming here.

Old 06-29-2011, 11:36 AM   #3623
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colbycheese View Post
Pics or it didn't happen

/I didn't touch it b/c I didn't want to embarrass myself with those iron sights

...and I have to agree that "security" guy had some ideological slant going on. It read more like an annoying email forward.
Now I gotta go back through my pics and see if I have anything.

After watching Karl and Sergio I was able to hit every beer can I aimed 12" above.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:12 PM   #3624
Bato
Studly Adventurer

The whole enchilada
Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Attached Images

Old 06-29-2011, 01:15 PM   #3625
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Attached Images

Old 06-29-2011, 01:30 PM   #3626
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
The whole enchilada
WooHoo!!

Too bad it won't be broke in for Monclova.

Old 06-29-2011, 01:37 PM   #3627
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Who knows it be ready tomorrw

Attached Images

Old 06-29-2011, 03:41 PM   #3628
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Who knows it be ready tomorrw

Whats that for? The KLR?
Old 06-29-2011, 04:13 PM   #3629
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,068
If I ever get BMW corporate to honor a warranty and send me a new part, I'll invite everyone down here to whack a pinata the size of Minnesota.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #3630
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeMike View Post
If I ever get BMW corporate to honor a warranty and send me a new part, I'll invite everyone down here to whack a pinata the size of Minnesota.
In!!