Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2011, 09:48 PM   #3646
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Oddometer: 7,748
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
You'll be fine. Just don't ride after dark, and don't wear a military uniform with a rifle slung over your shoulder.
And don't carry your pistol. Bato was just making a joke. I never carry down there.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
SchizzMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:02 PM   #3647
PirateJohn
Banned

Oddometer: 22,219
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowingdude View Post
Oh, I also wanted to ask if I'd be able to survive with a street bike in MX and Belize? I've got a line on a cheapish (~$1000 EX500) and I was thinking that would be suitable.

I have some photos someplace of a guy from the Netherlands who was touring the world. I met him in Florida but he had been in deep mud in Africa. Moral of the story is that he was riding some sort of go-fast bike (Yamaha I think) with a huge custom-made box for his luggage behind the rider's position.

Most of us find dual purpose bikes to be the way to go, but ultimately you'll make it work.

And all of the major roads in Mexico are paved to the Belizian border.

The one thing that I do have to say is that my skid plate on a BMW GS gets a workout when I get off the pavement and into parking lots, Pemex stations, and that sort of thing. And I know from experience around here that a BMW K1200LT really doesn't have enough ground clearance to keep from being high-sided over some obstacles in the street (like topes) so other street bikes may be problematic.
PirateJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 10:04 PM   #3648
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
And don't carry your pistol. Bato was just making a joke. I never carry down there.
*NEVER* carry in Mexico unless you are prepared to be searched (and arrested!) by both the US and Mexican authorities.

Supposedly possession of a military caliber bullet is worth many years in the klink, although as a practical matter I think they give gringos that aren't bringing in tons of weapons for the cartels only a few months for importing illegal weapons.

Still ... a few months in a Mexican prison ... you'd better like cheap tacos, Amigo.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:07 AM   #3649
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
Originally Posted by rowingdude View Post
Oh, I also wanted to ask if I'd be able to survive with a street bike in MX and Belize? I've got a line on a cheapish (~$1000 EX500) and I was thinking that would be suitable.
There is a thread in here about a guy that took his ninja 250 with his girlfriend to south america. He just removed the lower fairing for ground clearance. Your best route is a dual sport, but make whatever you have or can get work.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:44 AM   #3650
MikeMike
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,069
Beachguy did it on a street type BMW from the US to Nicaragua, I think he has a ride report on that.
MikeMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2011, 10:59 AM   #3651
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
I've ridden with some people that were on Harleys and Goldwings in Mexico. They did fine. You just have to be vigilant and careful on topes and ever present potholes.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:45 AM   #3652
PirateJohn
Banned

I met a Goldwinger once on the road between Matamoros and Victoria.

And when I rode Moto Rally a few years ago there were all sorts of Mexican-plated road bikes. In fact, it's probably fair to say that most Mexican riders ride cruisers rather than adventure bikes.

When Arte and Andre invited me to that resort outside Veracruz a few years ago most of the guys had KLRs, but there were a couple of BMW GS's and I remember that someone showed up on a Ducati go-fast bike (a 916 perhaps?)

That which is possible and that which is ideal are two things. I'd say that the dual sport is the ideal touring bike in Mexico (just like it is in the USA) but in Mexico you have more road construction areas that get seriously rough, and more dirt roads. That, and as I mentioned earlier, the transition off the paved road into parking lots in many places requires more ground clearance than you get with some of the belly fairings on some bikes.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:05 PM   #3653
PirateJohn
Banned

This is quite off topic, but who here can write ad copy in business-level Spanish aimed at the Monterrey and DF real estate markets?

I know it's but I'm working up something that might get me back to riding so it's important.

PM me please!

And thanks guys!
Old 06-30-2011, 12:37 PM   #3654
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
This is quite off topic, but who here can write ad copy in business-level Spanish aimed at the Monterrey and DF real estate markets?

I know it's but I'm working up something that might get me back to riding so it's important.

PM me please!

And thanks guys!
Uhmm, dunno about it being spam. Could directly impact safety in Mexico, however.

"As long as there's a horizon and I can see it, then I want to know what's there, mentally, physically and visually" - rtwpaul
Old 06-30-2011, 01:37 PM   #3655
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizzMan View Post
Uhmm, dunno about it being spam. Could directly impact safety in Mexico, however.
Mine ... or those that ride with me?

And listen to my lame advice?

We were talking about putting our real estate magazines in the book and magazine stores at the Reynosa and Monterrey Airports. If that comes to pass that will be a quick "smuggling" ride once a month. I'd love it!

(For those that care Mexico has strong prohibitions on doing business on a tourist visa, and restrictions on importing printed materials, particularly of a commercial nature. One of our business partners had his passport taken away for supposedly doing business on the wrong visa, and has never returned to Mexico.)
Old 06-30-2011, 01:40 PM   #3656
gelandestrasse
Fidem Scit

Oddometer: 20,253
Quote:
Mi hovercraft está lleno de anguilas.

Hows that?
Old 06-30-2011, 01:43 PM   #3657
PirateJohn
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by gelandestrasse View Post
Mi hovercraft está lleno de anguilas.

Hows that?

About as good as I can do. That's why I need some expertise.
Old 06-30-2011, 02:04 PM   #3658
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,825
Are they the slippery kind ?
Old 06-30-2011, 02:13 PM   #3659
SchizzMan
pronounced `skiz-man

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Are they the slippery kind ?
Hopefully they're IPA.

Old 06-30-2011, 02:23 PM   #3660
pilot815
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,438
Quote:
(For those that care Mexico has strong prohibitions on doing business on a tourist visa, and restrictions on importing printed materials, particularly of a commercial nature. One of our business partners had his passport taken away for supposedly doing business on the wrong visa, and has never returned to Mexico.)
Surprising that they caught somebody. Its easy to get away with. Ask me how I know....

pilot815 screwed with this post 06-30-2011 at 02:29 PM
pilot815 is offline   Reply With Quote