Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Trip Planning > Americas
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-04-2011, 06:44 AM   #3691
Bato
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
Me and shizzman had dinner last night here in Monclova I was impressed that the chef was from Minnesota it was only 400 bucks deposit it depends on the year of the vehicle
be happy

Bato screwed with this post 07-04-2011 at 01:22 PM
Bato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:53 AM   #3692
mundobravo
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,117
Quote:
Originally Posted by PirateJohn View Post
Although I question how many tourists are actually driving around right now. I think that most are flying in.

Still ... I agree that this is terribly short sighted.
does this go for Motos also ?
http://www.vimeo.com/7780879
mundobravo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:48 AM   #3693
Reposado1800
Juicy J fan!

Oddometer: 5,740
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR View Post
Hey Clayjars when are you coming back to DGO? That route from El Salto to Rosario must be calling your name!
I am in the process of landing another job. After that I am going to be all over Mexico during the holidays and summer breaks.
This is going to be my ride of choice. All I am missing is the 5 gallon IMS tank.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:17 PM   #3694
Flagixxer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bato View Post
Yeap just talk to Reginaldo Calderon at Allende seems now you have to leave 400 and under in cash there., Depending on the vehicle I guess you will get it back on your way out
OK .. has anyone heard the cost for a motorcycle ???
Flagixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:27 PM   #3695
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Oddometer: 8,201
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flagixxer View Post
OK .. has anyone heard the cost for a motorcycle ???
Goes by year of manufacture not by make/model/style
  • Vehicles manufactured before 1996 require a guarantee deposit of $200 USD
  • Vehicles manufactured between 1996 and 2000 require a guarantee deposit of $300 USD
  • Vehicles manufactured after 2001 require a guarantee deposit of $400 USD
tricepilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 04:37 PM   #3696
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,718
Weren't they recouping from credit cards when the temp. vehicle imports weren't turned in ?
I still don't want to make loans to the Mexicans. They can borrow from the International Monetary Fund like everybody else.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:18 PM   #3697
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Originally Posted by acejones View Post
Weren't they recouping from credit cards when the temp. vehicle imports weren't turned in ?
I still don't want to make loans to the Mexicans. They can borrow from the International Monetary Fund like everybody else.
Disclaimer: I've been in Peru, not Mexico, in the last month, so I have no first hand knowledge of this seemingly recent change to vehicle bonding for the TVIP.

Past practice was to "cover" the potential "penalty" with a credit card per the fee schedule posted a few clicks back. Your credit card was "pinged" but not actually charged until the end of the valid period with no turn-in. I never really understood the business practice behind that since technically you could use your card to obtain the TVIP and then cancel your credit card it if you had no intention on clearing Mexico with the TVIP and the bike.

All this said, if they've abandoned the credit card system for a cash system of bonding the bike, good for them. I have no idea whats going on but if all this is as it appears from the few posts I've read, Banjercito Mexico is saying "screw it" to the credit card system and now bonding vehicles in cash. Maybe they're saying you have to pay up front to play, or so it seems.

As a business model, if I had a bunch of people stiff me for the vehicle bond I too would go to a cash system. We here in the U.S. pay estimated taxes to the IRS in advance in certain instances, and we also pay capital gains but don't get credit on capital losses. The process sucks but good luck fighting the U.S. Governments business model. In other words, if this is indeed the new way of bonding bikes to travel Mexico, either get with it and get over it, or stay home. Your choice. Pretty much the same deal as in parsing through all the "news" about what's going on in Mexico. Stay home or play, your choice.

tricepilot screwed with this post 07-04-2011 at 05:30 PM
Old 07-04-2011, 05:37 PM   #3698
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Or........Banjercito was incapable of managing a credit card system. i.e., they couldn't keep up with the expiry dates on tvp's and then charge the associated cards.
Old 07-04-2011, 05:42 PM   #3699
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Take a break and check this out:

Dude rides to Mexico on a hundred dollar bike

Places good chunks of our "blah blah blah" in the proper bin
Old 07-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #3700
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Quote:
Or........Banjercito was incapable of managing a credit card system. i.e., they couldn't keep up with the expiry dates on tvp's and then charge the associated cards.
Might be. Might not be. I have no freakin' idea. I don't even know what really has changed.

When you find an obstacle, go through it, go around it, or go home.
Old 07-04-2011, 06:11 PM   #3701
Arte OP
Pata de Perro

Oddometer: 1,514
Quote:
is not that. Is because:

"mas vale pajaro en mano que ciento volando"

" If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself " - Max Ehrmann
Chiapas Ride 2013
Arte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:14 PM   #3702
tricepilot
El Gran Payaso

Old 07-04-2011, 06:33 PM   #3703
acejones
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arte View Post
is not that. Is because:

"mas vale pajaro en mano que ciento volando"

Just more greed and corruption. Birds and bushes don't have much to say.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #3704
Kiko
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,475
Quote:
Originally Posted by tricepilot View Post
Disclaimer: I've been in Peru, not Mexico, in the last month, so I have no first hand knowledge of this seemingly recent change to vehicle bonding for the TVIP.

Past practice was to "cover" the potential "penalty" with a credit card per the fee schedule posted a few clicks back. Your credit card was "pinged" but not actually charged until the end of the valid period with no turn-in. I never really understood the business practice behind that since technically you could use your card to obtain the TVIP and then cancel your credit card it if you had no intention on clearing Mexico with the TVIP and the bike.

All this said, if they've abandoned the credit card system for a cash system of bonding the bike, good for them. I have no idea whats going on but if all this is as it appears from the few posts I've read, Banjercito Mexico is saying "screw it" to the credit card system and now bonding vehicles in cash. Maybe they're saying you have to pay up front to play, or so it seems.

As a business model, if I had a bunch of people stiff me for the vehicle bond I too would go to a cash system. We here in the U.S. pay estimated taxes to the IRS in advance in certain instances, and we also pay capital gains but don't get credit on capital losses. The process sucks but good luck fighting the U.S. Governments business model. In other words, if this is indeed the new way of bonding bikes to travel Mexico, either get with it and get over it, or stay home. Your choice. Pretty much the same deal as in parsing through all the "news" about what's going on in Mexico. Stay home or play, your choice.
De acuerdo.

What's everyone whining about anyway, it's only a deposit that you get back if you abide by the rules. Geez get a life.
Old 07-04-2011, 08:46 PM   #3705
eakins
Butler Maps

Oddometer: 17,406
well today my beer was a little warm (the 4th is just another day to the locals), the waves are kinda flat and it rained some...so the sky MUST be falling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall Man View Post
This is from a friend in the international security business:

"... just got back from a security detail in Ciudad Juarez.

Guns there are in the hands exclusively of the most violent, while genuinely good people are prohibited from possessing them. And, when BHO claims to worry about 'militarizing the border,' he needn't. It is already the most militarized border in this Hemisphere. Only the USA is (voluntarily) unrepresented!

Driving in from El Paso, travelers are greeted by a barrage of signs, in English and Spanish, warning that firearms are prohibited, and stiff prison sentences will be imposed upon any who dare try to have some means of self-protection. But, in this region where violent death exceeds levels in Kabul and Baghdad combined, one can only wonder who are obeying this no-gun rule!

Legal ownership of guns in Mexico, by normal citizens, is nearly impossible. However, everywhere you turn, police and military troops are armed to the teeth. Meanwhile, equally well-armed cartel members, in contemptuous defiance of government and the law, create fake military road blocks in an effort to steal SUVs, trucks, and other vehicles, always (your guessed it!) at gunpoint.

Military personnel, thanks to HK's transparent magazines, obviously carry fully-charged magazines, unlike our own military who, when deployed to aid civil authority, carry empty guns. I'm not sure what they think they're going to learn from us!

Cartel violence is now expanding into Reynosa and Monterrey.

I continue to warn prospective travelers to avoid all border areas, indeed avoid the entire country!"

Comments: Blundering, incompetent, dishonest governments, on both sides of the border, make this terrible situation more-or-less permanent. The safety and welfare of good and decent citizens is positively the last thing either government apparently ever worries about!

As individuals, all of us need to understand that we are the only ones who care about the future of this civilization. The shrewd, pro-active, suspicious, and well-prepared might live to see it.

Few of the rest have much chance!

http://www.defense-training.com/quips/17June11.html
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=598717
Cycle World Adventure Rally:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=956350
eakins is offline   Reply With Quote