Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 07:41 AM   #6991
Dastard
Just another guy

Oddometer: 585
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
It does make me laugh when people complain of heat from an bike engine...
I had a bike that produced so much engine heat the tank would heat up and burn my thighs. Worst was on a hot day, stopped for a drink got back on the bike and ended up with second degree burns!!
Old 07-05-2011, 07:56 AM   #6992
BarkALot
inhabitant

Oddometer: 212
Quote:
It does make me laugh when people complain of heat from an bike engine...
It makes me laugh when people can't read... I was asking a question, not complaining.
and grace, too
BarkALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:05 AM   #6993
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,410
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkALot View Post
It makes me laugh when people can't read... I was asking a question, not complaining.
And we are all different. Heat doesn't bother me but my wife has a hard time when it gets really hot. She used to get cooked on her Ninja but I didn't feel it. Leather is key if you're at all bothered by heat. It will protect you from the heat and still breathe. Textile pants don't protect you from the heat and can even make it feel more extreme. Jeans are just as bad. I still wear my chaps left over from my cruiser days a lot on hot days, simply because they work and I haven't found a better alternative, yet.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:11 AM   #6994
outactrl
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 138
Help! My engine stalling story!

So here is my engine stalling story. I've not posted about this yet because I was giving Triumph the benefit of the doubt, hoping they could make this right. My patience has finally run out! This could get a little long, please bear with me. Got my Tiger 800 on a Tuesday in May. Headed out the following Friday with a group of friends for a long 4 day weekend and a trip to the mountains. On the first day while leaving a stop light, would give the bike some gas and it would just die. At first I thought I was just not used to the bike and needed more practice with a new bike. This happened several times and I new it was not me. We got a little rain shower and the group pulled into a parking lot to put on our rain gear. While sitting in the parking lot with the bike in neutral, twisted the throttle, engine dies. Definitely not me! Something is wrong here. Continued the ride for the weekend, loving the bike, loving the way it rides, handles, the motor, comfort, perfect bike for me, except for the stalling issue which persisted. Got home from the trip with about 600 miles on the bike. Took it in to the dealer for the first service the next weekend. Rode the bike to the dealer, had no stalling issues for that ride, about 50 miles. I had already let the dealer know about the stalling issue before then. Asked them to check it out. Was waiting at the shop for the first service to be complete when one of the workers there came to me and said, I need to give you the bad news about your bike. She said one of the technicians was test riding the bike after the service. Went to take off, the bike started to stall, then surged forward and the technician layed the bike down. Could not keep it under control. They ended up replacing the left side mirror, turning signal, clutch lever that was broken, bar end and ordered a new left side pannier to replace the one they had damaged. So here I am with a brand new bike, less than 1000 miles and had been wrecked. I am not happy! They tell me that they have downloaded the newest tune and that everything is fixed. No more stalling issues. I head out to the parking lot, start the bike up, put on my riding gear, pull the clutch in, give it some gas and the engine dies. I start the bike up again, leave it in neutral, give it some gas, the engine dies. I am not happy. At this point I've been at the dealer for over 3 hours. I tell them I am not riding this bike home, it needs to be fixed. They give me a Tiger 1050 as a loaner bike and I head home. The next week the owner of the dealership rides my 800 to where I work and drops it off. Apparently there was a new tune from Triumph they downloaded that fixed all the problems. I say great, thank you and head back into work. I leave work that evening and on my way home the bike stalls 4 more times! A 12 mile ride home, 4 stalls!!!! Stop at a stop light, the light turns green, I give the bike gas, the engine dies. Nothing has been fixed, I am not happy! When I finally made it home, took a video just to document the problem. Link below. Had to go out of town for work, when I got home, hauled the bike back to the dealership in the back of my truck. Two weeks later I get a call from the dealership. They say that I am welcome to come pick my bike up, but they have not fixed the problem. I say no! I will not pick the bike up until is fixed. They say Triumph is working on the problem, that it is a fuel mapping issue. There is not a fix at this time. The dealer has been in contact with Triumph North America and Triumph in the UK. There is no resolution, my bike can not be fixed. I am not happy. I have called the North American Triumph headquarters and spoken to customer service. They say they will get in touch with my dealer and work something out. The Tiger has now been at the dealership for over 3 weeks with no resolution. Most of the talk here has been about tunes and updates to fix stalling issues. I was told that my bike had a fuel mapping issue, but last week received an email from the dealer saying they are going to replace the throttle bodies, but of course, they have to order them from the UK. Not sure when the parts will be here. I am not happy! So, I have a bike that apparently can not be fixed. Customer service at Triumph North America is no longer returning my calls. What should I do? Legally, I can invoke the lemon law and get a new bike or full refund. I don't want to resort to that. Why will Triumph not do the right thing and just say we owe you a new motorcycle. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. What do I do now?

http://s644.photobucket.com/albums/u...ent=110525.mp4
Old 07-05-2011, 08:19 AM   #6995
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,806
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarkALot View Post
And I never responded to your post...I was commenting on (and agreeing with) Mark's post...
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:20 AM   #6996
jphish
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 611
Nice write up! I agree with your assessment of GS / XC comparo. My buddy & I did Hell's Canyon trip a few weeks ago - swapped bikes for awhile. The GS does have the dirt 'edge' (and a pretty well sorted adventure machine) - but at about 75 / 25 pavement to dirt average - I prefer my Tiger. He had TKCs, I'm running K-60s - so some advantage to GS in his tire selection. Though he darn near used up the TKC rear up on the trip - my K-60 is just barely down to the center 'stripe'. We were trying to make it from Oly Wa to Imnaha Or, on almost exclusively USFS / BLM roads - but many, at above 5,000 ft, were still closed due to snow. So lots of detours on to paved secondary roads. I also have the "clunk" on the washboard / pot holed stuff - also thought centerstand, but after securing with zip tie - clunk still present. ??? After 3,000 mi, I'm getting around 48 mpg loaded - with me (170#) plus about 80# of camping / fishing gear. So figure about 250# load. What Rack system did you use to mount your 'Jessies' ? I have stock Triumph side cases - they're OK, but bounce around alot on dirt roads, will eventually swap for Holans, TraX or Jessies, not sure yet. Unlike you, I did have a 'tip over' while trying to remove unsecured Nylon strap from chain / sprocket. (One stupid error, compounded by another, on my part !!) The stock engine protection bars did their job - no damage - other than a few very minor cosmetic scratches on the plastic around top of tank. It was in damp dirt, so fortunately, not a hard landing. All in all - I'm very pleased with XC - much more capable than it's rider, in this case. I had a 650 KLR, ST1300, Uly, & 955 Tiger (all sold in last 3 months) Was trying to get down to 1 "do all" motorcycle with the XC - but have decided, for the present at least, to keep my 06' Girlie, shod with Anakees, for the long, mostly pavement, trips. It's a great road bike! Plus... the only thing better than 1 Tiger, is 2.
jphish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 AM   #6997
Zapp22
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,655
Nevermind the bikes, I'm more interested in your comment about the Kim Dakar riding pants !!
I'm 6'2 and very trim and have yet to find a riding pant I can stand for one minute beyond the saddle. but its another thread for another folder....
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #6998
pjensen641
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 326
Quote:
Originally Posted by outactrl View Post
So here is my engine stalling story. I've not posted about this yet because I was giving Triumph the benefit of the doubt, hoping they could make this right. My patience has finally run out! This could get a little long, please bear with me. Got my Tiger 800 on a Tuesday in May. Headed out the following Friday with a group of friends for a long 4 day weekend and a trip to the mountains. On the first day while leaving a stop light, would give the bike some gas and it would just die. At first I thought I was just not used to the bike and needed more practice with a new bike. This happened several times and I new it was not me. We got a little rain shower and the group pulled into a parking lot to put on our rain gear. While sitting in the parking lot with the bike in neutral, twisted the throttle, engine dies. Definitely not me! Something is wrong here. Continued the ride for the weekend, loving the bike, loving the way it rides, handles, the motor, comfort, perfect bike for me, except for the stalling issue which persisted. Got home from the trip with about 600 miles on the bike. Took it in to the dealer for the first service the next weekend. Rode the bike to the dealer, had no stalling issues for that ride, about 50 miles. I had already let the dealer know about the stalling issue before then. Asked them to check it out. Was waiting at the shop for the first service to be complete when one of the workers there came to me and said, I need to give you the bad news about your bike. She said one of the technicians was test riding the bike after the service. Went to take off, the bike started to stall, then surged forward and the technician layed the bike down. Could not keep it under control. They ended up replacing the left side mirror, turning signal, clutch lever that was broken, bar end and ordered a new left side pannier to replace the one they had damaged. So here I am with a brand new bike, less than 1000 miles and had been wrecked. I am not happy! They tell me that they have downloaded the newest tune and that everything is fixed. No more stalling issues. I head out to the parking lot, start the bike up, put on my riding gear, pull the clutch in, give it some gas and the engine dies. I start the bike up again, leave it in neutral, give it some gas, the engine dies. I am not happy. At this point I've been at the dealer for over 3 hours. I tell them I am not riding this bike home, it needs to be fixed. They give me a Tiger 1050 as a loaner bike and I head home. The next week the owner of the dealership rides my 800 to where I work and drops it off. Apparently there was a new tune from Triumph they downloaded that fixed all the problems. I say great, thank you and head back into work. I leave work that evening and on my way home the bike stalls 4 more times! A 12 mile ride home, 4 stalls!!!! Stop at a stop light, the light turns green, I give the bike gas, the engine dies. Nothing has been fixed, I am not happy! When I finally made it home, took a video just to document the problem. Link below. Had to go out of town for work, when I got home, hauled the bike back to the dealership in the back of my truck. Two weeks later I get a call from the dealership. They say that I am welcome to come pick my bike up, but they have not fixed the problem. I say no! I will not pick the bike up until is fixed. They say Triumph is working on the problem, that it is a fuel mapping issue. There is not a fix at this time. The dealer has been in contact with Triumph North America and Triumph in the UK. There is no resolution, my bike can not be fixed. I am not happy. I have called the North American Triumph headquarters and spoken to customer service. They say they will get in touch with my dealer and work something out. The Tiger has now been at the dealership for over 3 weeks with no resolution. Most of the talk here has been about tunes and updates to fix stalling issues. I was told that my bike had a fuel mapping issue, but last week received an email from the dealer saying they are going to replace the throttle bodies, but of course, they have to order them from the UK. Not sure when the parts will be here. I am not happy! So, I have a bike that apparently can not be fixed. Customer service at Triumph North America is no longer returning my calls. What should I do? Legally, I can invoke the lemon law and get a new bike or full refund. I don't want to resort to that. Why will Triumph not do the right thing and just say we owe you a new motorcycle. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. What do I do now?

http://s644.photobucket.com/albums/u...ent=110525.mp4

Lemon law dude. Been in the shop 3 times for the same issue. Pretty sure that is the main qualifier for the lemon law. You are owed a new bike. Plus, you are owed a new bike anyway for the tech wrecking yours. Did they have it computracked? How do they know it isnt bent? Complete BS. Call Triumph USA, go above the dealer.

They are at a huge liability here giving you back a bike that has already caused an accident. It is uncontrollable. If Triumph USA doesn't fall all over themselves to get you a new bike, call a lawyer.
pjensen641 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:38 AM   #6999
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
Characteristic of an inline triple?

My 800 XC cruising at 80 mph tends to pull to the right. Is that a trait of Triumph triples?
spewler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:42 AM   #7000
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,564
Quote:
So here is my engine stalling story.
I feel your pain. Triumph replaced my 2011 that had overheating issues with a new 2012 but it took about 5 calls to Triumph Customer Service until I reached the right person, Peter Carleo. I'm not going to re-hash the story, your can search my posts. I was without mine for over three weeks before they told me they'd replace it and then it took another 3 weeks to get the 2012 but I'm a happy camper now. Good luck, call Pete.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:51 AM   #7001
Boon Booni
Red Clay Halo

Oddometer: 13,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Need help diagnosing a problem. When we got the "service" done we made the dealer aware both bikes when doing slow turns with clutch and rear brakes being used the bikes made a grinding noise and we both could hear it and feel it. We were told the brake pads needed to be broken in. We said nope. They said yep. The noise and vibration is getting worse.
Is it only slow turns? Walking speeds or faster?

Does it stop immediately if you release the brake?

Any indication of where the sound is coming from?
Where the fuck is the road?
Boon Booni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:56 AM   #7002
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,496
Quote:
So here is my engine stalling story.
I can't see how this is an engine tune problem because mine and many others are working just fine.
I do wonder though, if you're twisting the throttle slightly when firing it up which could, and I emphasize, could upset the throttle position sensor (TPS) causing it to zero in the wrong position. This problem is well documented on some BMW sites. Could be that the Keihin system on these bike does the same.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:06 AM   #7003
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by soph9 View Post
Need help diagnosing a problem. When we got the "service" done we made the dealer aware both bikes when doing slow turns with clutch and rear brakes being used the bikes made a grinding noise and we both could hear it and feel it. We were told the brake pads needed to be broken in. We said nope. They said yep. The noise and vibration is getting worse.
Both bikes? IMO it must relate to something that has been done to the bikes before you left home. e.g. new tyres were fitted which means the wheels have been out. Check the tension of the rear spindles. If the same guy fitted them, he could be using the same torque wrench which could be out of spec. Or, he's assembled the brake calliper carrier into the bikes wrong. Give the rear end a good check over.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:46 AM   #7004
tpulls
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 144
The XC that I test rode had the same stalling issue as shown in that video. Happened when I would twist the throttle fairly quickly like that. If I slowly twisted the throttle on it wouldn't stall. I figured an updated fuel map from the dealer would fix it, but maybe it's something else then?

I thought about the TPS being out of position so I made sure i gave it no gas when I fired it up. Still happened.
tpulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 09:49 AM   #7005
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
I thought about the TPS being out of position so I made sure i gave it no gas when I fired it up. Still happened.
Blows my theory then.