Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-05-2011, 10:05 AM   #7006
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,771
Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
Blows my theory then.
I wonder if it's something to do with one of the safeties - only time either of my Triumphs just dies is if I try to set off in gear with the sidestand down - engine just cuts out. Now I come to think of it, I think it just dies when I put it in gear

I wonder if the bike thinks the sidestand is down or something...

Anyway....just a thought.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:14 AM   #7007
Guyver
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 123
Quote:
Originally Posted by E-town dirt dude View Post
I've put 1200 km on my Tiger so far. I love it. I took it into the Nordegg Alberta area for some offroading. The stock tires are crap in gravel. Time to put some more aggressive tires on it. I think the Heidenau K60's are looking like a good choice.

Beautiful bike and photos!!! I am jealous. I just spent over two grand farklizing my Wee for a two week adventure ride up to Canada, or I'd get one.

Question I haven't seen answered in the thread. Does this bike run on 87? Or does it need premium like the Beemer. And, what is the average range on a tank of gas? Thanks.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:35 AM   #7008
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Oddometer: 236
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphish View Post
Nice write up! I agree with your assessment of GS / XC comparo. My buddy & I did Hell's Canyon trip a few weeks ago - swapped bikes for awhile. The GS does have the dirt 'edge' (and a pretty well sorted adventure machine) - but at about 75 / 25 pavement to dirt average - I prefer my Tiger. He had TKCs, I'm running K-60s - so some advantage to GS in his tire selection. Though he darn near used up the TKC rear up on the trip - my K-60 is just barely down to the center 'stripe'. We were trying to make it from Oly Wa to Imnaha Or, on almost exclusively USFS / BLM roads - but many, at above 5,000 ft, were still closed due to snow. So lots of detours on to paved secondary roads. I also have the "clunk" on the washboard / pot holed stuff - also thought centerstand, but after securing with zip tie - clunk still present. ??? After 3,000 mi, I'm getting around 48 mpg loaded - with me (170#) plus about 80# of camping / fishing gear. So figure about 250# load. What Rack system did you use to mount your 'Jessies' ? I have stock Triumph side cases - they're OK, but bounce around alot on dirt roads, will eventually swap for Holans, TraX or Jessies, not sure yet. Unlike you, I did have a 'tip over' while trying to remove unsecured Nylon strap from chain / sprocket. (One stupid error, compounded by another, on my part !!) The stock engine protection bars did their job - no damage - other than a few very minor cosmetic scratches on the plastic around top of tank. It was in damp dirt, so fortunately, not a hard landing. All in all - I'm very pleased with XC - much more capable than it's rider, in this case. I had a 650 KLR, ST1300, Uly, & 955 Tiger (all sold in last 3 months) Was trying to get down to 1 "do all" motorcycle with the XC - but have decided, for the present at least, to keep my 06' Girlie, shod with Anakees, for the long, mostly pavement, trips. It's a great road bike! Plus... the only thing better than 1 Tiger, is 2.
That's great mileage, I wonder if your elevation is helping with that? Seems like folks are getting better gas mileage if they're at higher elevations. Here in the midwest it averages around 1000' asl. The Jesse panniers are attached to the Jesse racks, it all comes as a kit. Tough stuff. The racks would work good with soft bags as well.

On the clacking noise... take a look and see if you think on yours it could still be the centerstand making noise, not where it hits the stop (which you and I have both eliminated by zip tying) but rather where it pivots by the footpegs? PM me with what you think. My current theory is that there is too much clearance at the pivots, allowing the stand to move a little on hits causing the metal-on-metal sound. I just haven't taken the time to pull the stand completely off to test my theory yet... no idea how to fix it if it is.
What Next Wander Tour http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=853663
Evomx971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 10:46 AM   #7009
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22 View Post
Nevermind the bikes, I'm more interested in your comment about the Kim Dakar riding pants !!
I'm 6'2 and very trim and have yet to find a riding pant I can stand for one minute beyond the saddle. but its another thread for another folder....
I'm 6'3 and ordered the 34" Tall. That might be the smallest waist they have. To be absolutely perfect for me, the waist could have been a skosh smaller (I normally wear 33" waist, 34" inseam jeans) and the length could have been a bit longer... If you are 6'2 and a true 34 waist, they would have fit you perfectly I'd say. That said, still completely happy and they will now be my primary riding pant.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:47 AM   #7010
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,540
My XC pulls to the right (when I let go of the bars).
The T8 runs on 87 american.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:50 AM   #7011
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Ah, cycling shorts.

Yep... my current favorites are a pair of Pearl Izumi brand bicycle shorts that I have a couple pairs of. If you've never worn them before, it takes a bit to get used to the big ol pad in them (way bigger than what they put in the motorcycle specific stuff), but they sure so work for me... YMMV.
Old 07-05-2011, 10:56 AM   #7012
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
And we are all different. Heat doesn't bother me but my wife has a hard time when it gets really hot. She used to get cooked on her Ninja but I didn't feel it. Leather is key if you're at all bothered by heat. It will protect you from the heat and still breathe. Textile pants don't protect you from the heat and can even make it feel more extreme. Jeans are just as bad. I still wear my chaps left over from my cruiser days a lot on hot days, simply because they work and I haven't found a better alternative, yet.
I completely buy into this now. My T800XC is by far the hottest bike for the rider I've owned or ridden in over about 90 degree heat. That said, it made a huge difference over the weekend when I was wearing my Klim pants, which have some leather panels on the lower legs. I never really noticed the heat blowing over my legs like I do with jeans and could only really feel something when it was slow going and I was gripping the frame with the inside of my legs. The frames rails on the right are freakin hot. I never tired touching it with my bare hand, but with how it felt through the pants, it would probably borderline burn skin.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:05 AM   #7013
Evomx971
Planning Next Ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpulls View Post
The XC that I test rode had the same stalling issue as shown in that video. Happened when I would twist the throttle fairly quickly like that. If I slowly twisted the throttle on it wouldn't stall. I figured an updated fuel map from the dealer would fix it, but maybe it's something else then?

I thought about the TPS being out of position so I made sure i gave it no gas when I fired it up. Still happened.
I've seen the same thing on mine (Arrow pipe and re-map) a couple of really random times. I ride two-strokes a lot and have a habit of quick blips if I'm idling around with the clutch in, doing a u-turn or whatever. My 800 doesn't like that and will die or almost die on occasion. Luckily, hasn't been an issue, just something I'm more aware of than anything else.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:42 AM   #7014
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,269
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdy68 View Post
YES!
I found that a second helmet of mine does have an effect - but does not solve things fully!

I'm going for a new screen... My only hope!

I think your misunderstanding, Head shake as in the handlebars. AKA Tankslap...
fbj913 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 11:54 AM   #7015
fbj913
I ride

Quote:
Originally Posted by outactrl View Post
So here is my engine stalling story. I've not posted about this yet because I was giving Triumph the benefit of the doubt, hoping they could make this right. My patience has finally run out! This could get a little long, please bear with me. Got my Tiger 800 on a Tuesday in May. Headed out the following Friday with a group of friends for a long 4 day weekend and a trip to the mountains. On the first day while leaving a stop light, would give the bike some gas and it would just die. At first I thought I was just not used to the bike and needed more practice with a new bike. This happened several times and I new it was not me. We got a little rain shower and the group pulled into a parking lot to put on our rain gear. While sitting in the parking lot with the bike in neutral, twisted the throttle, engine dies. Definitely not me! Something is wrong here. Continued the ride for the weekend, loving the bike, loving the way it rides, handles, the motor, comfort, perfect bike for me, except for the stalling issue which persisted. Got home from the trip with about 600 miles on the bike. Took it in to the dealer for the first service the next weekend. Rode the bike to the dealer, had no stalling issues for that ride, about 50 miles. I had already let the dealer know about the stalling issue before then. Asked them to check it out. Was waiting at the shop for the first service to be complete when one of the workers there came to me and said, I need to give you the bad news about your bike. She said one of the technicians was test riding the bike after the service. Went to take off, the bike started to stall, then surged forward and the technician layed the bike down. Could not keep it under control. They ended up replacing the left side mirror, turning signal, clutch lever that was broken, bar end and ordered a new left side pannier to replace the one they had damaged. So here I am with a brand new bike, less than 1000 miles and had been wrecked. I am not happy! They tell me that they have downloaded the newest tune and that everything is fixed. No more stalling issues. I head out to the parking lot, start the bike up, put on my riding gear, pull the clutch in, give it some gas and the engine dies. I start the bike up again, leave it in neutral, give it some gas, the engine dies. I am not happy. At this point I've been at the dealer for over 3 hours. I tell them I am not riding this bike home, it needs to be fixed. They give me a Tiger 1050 as a loaner bike and I head home. The next week the owner of the dealership rides my 800 to where I work and drops it off. Apparently there was a new tune from Triumph they downloaded that fixed all the problems. I say great, thank you and head back into work. I leave work that evening and on my way home the bike stalls 4 more times! A 12 mile ride home, 4 stalls!!!! Stop at a stop light, the light turns green, I give the bike gas, the engine dies. Nothing has been fixed, I am not happy! When I finally made it home, took a video just to document the problem. Link below. Had to go out of town for work, when I got home, hauled the bike back to the dealership in the back of my truck. Two weeks later I get a call from the dealership. They say that I am welcome to come pick my bike up, but they have not fixed the problem. I say no! I will not pick the bike up until is fixed. They say Triumph is working on the problem, that it is a fuel mapping issue. There is not a fix at this time. The dealer has been in contact with Triumph North America and Triumph in the UK. There is no resolution, my bike can not be fixed. I am not happy. I have called the North American Triumph headquarters and spoken to customer service. They say they will get in touch with my dealer and work something out. The Tiger has now been at the dealership for over 3 weeks with no resolution. Most of the talk here has been about tunes and updates to fix stalling issues. I was told that my bike had a fuel mapping issue, but last week received an email from the dealer saying they are going to replace the throttle bodies, but of course, they have to order them from the UK. Not sure when the parts will be here. I am not happy! So, I have a bike that apparently can not be fixed. Customer service at Triumph North America is no longer returning my calls. What should I do? Legally, I can invoke the lemon law and get a new bike or full refund. I don't want to resort to that. Why will Triumph not do the right thing and just say we owe you a new motorcycle. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. What do I do now?

http://s644.photobucket.com/albums/u...ent=110525.mp4

Lemon Law! I would not hesitate for 1 second to use the Lemon Law. You paid a lot of money for a bike to work correctly!
Old 07-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #7016
fbj913
I ride

[QUOTE=
Question I haven't seen answered in the thread. Does this bike run on 87? Or does it need premium like the Beemer. And, what is the average range on a tank of gas? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Its in here somewhere... yes bike runs on 87. Average range can depend on so much. Highway speeds you can expect 200+. My experience is that the fuel light comes on at about 200 miles. So you could go 250 give or take... Is that everyone elses experience at highway speeds?
Old 07-05-2011, 12:34 PM   #7017
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
My XC pulls to the right (when I let go of the bars).
This can quite often be attributed to the camber in the road.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:47 PM   #7018
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,849
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evomx971 View Post
I'm 6'3 and ordered the 34" Tall. That might be the smallest waist they have.
Oh my. How I hate that. I have a 29 width and 34 inseam. Haven't found any riding pants that fit.

Will have go to Europe for shopping. Never had that much trouble there.
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 01:12 PM   #7019
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,540
Quote:
I'm definitely not worried about it pulling to the right. You should never ride without holding onto the bars. After installing my throttle lock, I just wanted to see what would happen.
I have noticed a slight hop from the front end at about 40mph. I did have a few loose spokes & the rim is out of true. If I can't fix it myself, then I may have to take it to the dealer. It's not horrible, but it is annoying.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:18 PM   #7020
spewler
Not (w)reckless

Oddometer: 103
Quote:
I've tried it on numerous roads, in both tracks, same result. Did the same test on my Futura, not even a slight pull to the right. When I took care of a friend's BMW boxer, it did the same thing. On the XC, it's a gradual but strong pull that isn't easily countered with pressure on the opposite footpeg.
spewler is offline   Reply With Quote