fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
I bet that thing is a blast to ride
it does not get ridden at all
as long as I am in the process to get the frigging gastank to quit leaking
right now that thing is taking a soda bath with an anode and 12v up it's ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthDuro View Post
Now I want you to save a little and put a rally style cowl on it.
no, please not
I plan on as close to stock XR-L looks as possible

or something really wild
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 05:43 AM   #4262
fiep
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,894
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacl-Kampuchea View Post
Maybe that could make a good thread in wrenching. Could be informative.
did post the link to more pictures
http://www.xr-forum.de/index.php/topic,20208.0.html

if you want details, ask
the big stuff was pretty easy,
the little things drive me up the wall now

Quote:
report back on how the swop tests out over the next while.
as soon as the tank ...
I'll ride and tell
the first couple of days commuting were uneventful

suspension has been 'tuned' but our local wizzard went a little overboard with his sumo-setuo, feels like I need to gain 100lb
this makes the bike very hmm flickable? nervous!

side by side with my XR650R the poor thing feels like NO giddy-up at all
we shall see, once the tank ... in the mountains

Quote:
But f*ck bickering-
why
don't I have the right to be pissed
when someone barks at me publicly and when I send a friendly pm never gets back to explain what or why?
fiep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2011, 06:08 PM   #4263
heliyardsale
Always looking for Dirt!

Oddometer: 373
Nice thread! Great info! I just joined the club today. This little gem came home with me tonight! 5500 miles, runs great and nice plastic.... I just scored a GSXR 750 shock off eBay to get things started...

Heli (Doc Mike)
heliyardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 05:24 PM   #4264
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

Oddometer: 235
Nice ride!

Change your chain before it starts eating sprockets like this:

Old 07-04-2011, 01:20 PM   #4265
TheRadBaron
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 431
Hey guys. It's been a while since I've posted or even been here. My lasts posts were as I was finishing up my 21" front/17" rear wheel swaps with Kenda on/off road tires (244s maybe?). Well, not long ago I took the NX for its first real offroad trial. I have a buddy who lives off the grid DEEP in the woods of southern Illinois. We normally keep in pretty regular contact through cell phones. At this point I hadn't heard from him in a few weeks and his phone seemed to be out of service. I was a bit concerned so I figured I'd go on down and look for him. This trip would also be a good test of my new Harbor Freight trailer that I modified to tow behind my 5-spd Honda Civic. I have an '82 3/4-ton diesel 4x4 granny-gear stickshift Chevy that would be better suited for the task, but I'd like to be able to tow a bike and still get 30+ mpg. Here's me and the dog prior to departing:

The trail to get up to my buddy's cabin is about 3 miles of nasty, muddy, rutted, rocky death. It takes a hard core 4x4 truck to get up and down it and even then only when conditions are very good. The rest of the time it takes a good 4-wheeler ATV or dirt bike. I didn't know if I would find my friend or not, so I loaded up enough provisions for the dog and I to make an overnight of it.

The NX tractored up the hill like a champ. The trail was a muddy mess due to a lot of recent spring rains, but the bike plowed right through everything. It was hard work for me and the bike, but we got to the top of the hill without any major problems. I found my buddy at his cabin. His phone had been ruined during some gnarly, flooded creek adventure, but all was well. We had a good evening eating squirrels and telling stories of our heroics.

The next morning we headed back down the hill. My buddy rode the NX and I followed him on his ATV. He hadn't ridden a dirt bike in a while so he stalled it a few times and after a while the battery got low enough that it wouldn't crank over. We had to resort to push-starting it every time it stalled. Why oh why did they not put a kick starter on this bike? That's my only real complaint with the NX250, but it's a big complaint. It really makes me a lot less confident to venture far away from civilization on the NX.

My impressions of my modified NX250 are thus:
PROS:
-The 21/17 wheel combo really works well off road
-In spite of the spindly frame, it handled the rough stuff and aggressive riding without issue
-The cooling fan ran whenever the going got slow, but the overtemp light never came on
-The Kendas provided acceptable traction in the mud while still be acceptable on the street

CONS:
-NO KICK STARTER! At least it's easy to push start and still runs fine once you get it pushed
-I have the stock gearing and it could use a few more teeth in the rear sprocket for offroad work
-Either I have a charging system problem or the electrical system can't handle running the electric fan constantly and starting the bike often

The HF trailer worked great, too. The Civic towed it without problem at interstate speeds and still got about 32mpg. I don't think that I'd pull the trailer and run the AC at the same time, though.

Here's my main question: Does the NX250 need the battery to run? I know that it needs it for the starter, lights, etc., but is the CDI system a battery ignition or flywheel magneto type like you find on a lot of dirt bikes? When my battery was too low to crank the engine, the bike still ran great when push started. I know my buddy's Honda 230 4-wheeler has a battery and electric starter, but it also has a kick lever and can run with no battery installed.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:08 PM   #4266
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

I run a 13/43 sprocket combo with the 17" rear. It's just about perfect.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:07 PM   #4267
az2002
-

Oddometer: 28
Hi
Anyone knows max payload ax-1? Rear suspension is very hard, when 2 up and offroad.

az2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:02 AM   #4268
Mununa
n00b

Oddometer: 1
power increase help

Hi everyone!

Im Carmen and Im new here.
Im happy Ive found this community, though most of you are so very far away from where I live.

Need some help
I have two NX 250 bikes, one is a 1993 model, 17 kW, the other one is a 1991 model, but only 13 kW. The older bike is in a perfect shape and I want to keep it, and sell the other one. I just would like to have more power in it. Therefore I thought I might change some parts.
Could anyone tell me what makes the HP difference in these bikes? What parts should I take from the more powerful bike and put on the other to increase power?

Thanks a lot!
Mununa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 05:09 AM   #4269
larry31
Back Roads Explorer

Oddometer: 278
TheRadBaron

Your Question: Here's my main question: Does the NX250 need the battery to run? I know that it needs it for the starter, lights, etc., but is the CDI system a battery ignition or flywheel magneto type like you find on a lot of dirt bikes? When my battery was too low to crank the engine, the bike still ran great when push started. I know my buddy's Honda 230 4-wheeler has a battery and electric starter, but it also has a kick lever and can run with no battery installed.

I don't think there is a magneto in the NX.
I would think that the CDI would need at least some small voltage to operate. Most batteries have close to 12 volts even when run down, as long as no major load is required.
The problem comes when you try to put a heavy load on the battery by running the starter motor. It will pull the voltage down below normal voltage.
My Honda Gold Wing needs over 10 volts to fire properly. I would imagine the NX's CDI has some minimum voltage it requires to work.

When you over use the starter and run down the batery,The battery still has close to 12 volts when not trying to run the starter. That is probably enough to allow the CDI to fire, when you jump start the bike.
A CDI module dosen't requite much current draw. A few milliamps!

You can test this out by removing the battery and try to jump start the bike. I'll bet it won't start!

Your NX's generating system was probably operating good and putting out enough volts to run the bike after it was jump started.

PS: I have put my NX through some rough places. I don't normally like to run through mud. I avoid mud like the plague! Rocks, sand, gravel is no problem. I just don't like mud. Oh Well! to each his own!

The NX is a great bike and They'l have to pry mine out of my cold, dead hands.
larry31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 06:48 AM   #4270
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by bastropjoel View Post
I run a 13/43 sprocket combo with the 17" rear. It's just about perfect.
X2. When I 1st got my bike it had this gearing. I found 1st to be useless, but I do 100% on-road driving.

It still had a top speed well over 80 IIRC.

Not bad for a small street legal dirtbike. It feels as nimble as a BMX under me and can get me a speeding ticket on any road any time I want it to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by az2002 View Post
Hi
Anyone knows max payload ax-1? Rear suspension is very hard, when 2 up and offroad.
I believe what you're feeling is the dead shock bottoming out. As far as I know all NX/AX's ad the same shock that were both air charged and non-rebuildable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mununa View Post

I’m Carmen and I’m new here.
I’m happy I’ve found this community, though most of you are so very far away from where I live.

Need some help…
I have two NX 250 bikes, one is a 1993 model, 17 kW, the other one is a 1991 model, but only 13 kW. The older bike is in a perfect shape and I want to keep it, and sell the other one. I just would like to have more power in it. Therefore I thought I might change some parts.
Could anyone tell me what makes the HP difference in these bikes? What parts should I take from the more powerful bike and put on the other to increase power?

Jeez, what was all that text in your post?

As to your problem, wasnt there a 23? cc NX or AX for the French market?

I wonder if you've got one of those and not a proper 250cc of displacement?

There was something about them being smaller or having more emissions junk on them I can't recall now.
Old 07-05-2011, 06:53 AM   #4271
IheartmyNx
Ihave2draft

Oddometer: 3,841
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRadBaron View Post
CONS:
-NO KICK STARTER!
Here's my main question: Does the NX250 need the battery to run?

Yeah, I feel ya on that one. Weird thing is, EBay shows a listing for a NX250 kick starter

As for running, as far as I know no, you don't need a batt.

One thing you can do is run a capacitor. But it will be push-start from then on... unless you can find a lower case and kicker that works with the NX...

It's called a battery eliminator.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ALM-151308/
Old 07-05-2011, 01:54 PM   #4272
RollingJ
The mud in your eye

NX250 parts for sale

Pm me for info or to make an offer.

https://picasaweb.google.com/bastrop...eat=directlink
Old 07-05-2011, 02:01 PM   #4273
valvecrusher OP
tractus pro pensio

Oddometer: 1,704
Quote:
NX250 parts for sale

PM sent, tag hanger + chain guard!

I swear, i was just walking in to post 'wanted' for these!

Added a link to the FleaMarket post on frontpage to your post.

The Rad Baron,
check out the first page

valvecrusher screwed with this post 07-06-2011 at 03:32 AM
valvecrusher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 08:26 PM   #4274
thirstybuck
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Parts

I'm interested. Sent you a PM.

TB

Quote:
NX250 parts for sale

thirstybuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 08:23 AM   #4275
anotherGSrider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Found this little gem - 1500

thoughts?
----------------------------------

Up for sale is a great water-cooled 250cc bike for the dirt and street. Runs great. Electric start. Title in hand. Decent condition for it's age; just a couple of plastic issues.
Very peppy, and great gas mileage. 6400 on the odometer. Have some summer fun on the cheap.
$1500