Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-06-2011, 09:59 PM   #1
Burren Rider OP
Aussie Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,820
Tiger Tales - Dialling in the 800XC for the dirt

Thought I would fire up a thread for my new Tiger. The plan is to take the impressive platform that Triumph has put together and add some finishing touches to produce a really good, dirt orientated adventure bike.

When I first rode the new Tiger, I came away impressed with the motor but somewhat disheartened by the road orientated feel and gearbox that felt "compressed". As my first ride on a Triple, it seemed like it was a bit doughy down low and you were forever changing gears. While incredibly smooth and torquey, it felt like a sports bike motor in adventure clothing.

While I wandered off to look at other alternatives, the dealer was keen to help out and I was back for another run on the demo after a bit of setup in the workshop. We rolled the bars forward, removed the rubber inserts from the standard foot pegs and he gave me a crash course on riding Triples'. Heading out for a second time, the transformation in the ergo's was instant. With the bars higher and pegs lower, I could now stand on the pegs and it started to feel like a big dirt bike. The next thing I noticed was just how good this motor is. Basically you pick a gear, any gear, and just ride the thing. Yes, the gearbox still feels a little close to me (as in 1st could be lower and 6th taller without sacrificing too much?), but it doesn't really matter when the bike has such a wide power band. The engine is so smooth and linear that you often find yourself riding around a cog or two lower than you anticipated. Likewise it isn't unusual to be carrying a higher gear and find it roll on effortlessly when required.

Walking away after the second ride I was hooked. I had been close to pulling the trigger on a KTM 990 but for some reason the Tiger appealed to me and so that’s what I bought.

Burren Rider screwed with this post 03-28-2013 at 12:01 AM
Burren Rider is offline   Reply With Quote