Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-11-2011, 03:06 AM   #7141
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Jerk View Post
It is normal to a certain extent but there are a couple things you can do to make it better:

First, adjust out all the throttle freeplay you can get away with. When finished your adjustment, you will need to start the engine and turn the bars from lock to lock. If your engine revs when the bars hit one side or the other, put some freeplay back. So basically what I'm saying is take out as much freeplay as you can but not so much that the steering affects your rpm.

Second, make sure your bike has the latest tune. When I got my bike I thought it had twitchy throttle and I found it was running the first tune (20479 I think). That tune was obsolete by that time and I used TuneECU to load the latest tune (20495 I think) to the bike which helped a LOT. Double-check the tune numbers on your own as they are different for 800 vs. 800XC as well as ABS vs. non-ABS.

If you still have twitchy throttle, get yourself a copy of TuneECU, a cable, and read read read about mapping. You can use TuneECU to disable the oxygen sensor which may help somewhat and you can also use it to edit the fuel maps which is potentially dangerous unless you know what you're doing.

Or you can wait for the development of BoosterPlug for the T800 (if it ever happens). I had one on my Tiger 1050 and it made a HUGE difference in the driveability of the bike.
Tunes are the same for 800 & XC, in the majority of cases.

Current tunes (as of July 11 anyway) are:

800 NON ABS
Standard exhaust - 20477
Arrow exhaust - 20478

800 ABS
Standard exhaust - 20495
Arrow exhaust - 20493

XC NON ABS
Standard exhaust - 20477
Arrow exhaust - 20478

XC ABS
Standard exhaust - 20496
Arrow exhaust - 20494

Taken from TuneECU listing
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:21 AM   #7142
woodys3b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElNorto View Post
I plan to get one of the G2 throttle tamers to take care of this. Not a big deal on the street but its way too abrupt off road with the amount of power the Tiger has.

http://www.g2ergo.com/g2-tamer-throttle-tube-121.html
Please report back when you have this installed. For me, this is one of two flies in the ointment on my Tiger and the more I ride it the more annoying it becomes. The roads I ride have lots of frost heaves and the bike is constantly surging forward and back as I hit them. I'll have it remapped when I can find the time.
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:28 AM   #7143
woodys3b
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
The other Fly

I know this has been mentioned before but, what was Triumph thinking with the gear ratios. If this transmission was in a sport bike it would be one of the best in the business. However, it just doesn't suit the Tiger. First is too high and 6th is too low and they are all too close to each other. I've been playing around on my commute and double shifting. 1-3-5-6 from a dead stop and 2-4-6 when making a right turn that doesn't require a full stop. The motor pulls so well down low that it is very easy to ride like this. I just can't double shift fast enough to do it smoothly. Hopefully, this will be something Triumph corrects sometime in the future.

Don't want to paint a negative picture here. My Tiger is far and away the best bike I have owned.
woodys3b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 03:40 AM   #7144
KildareMan
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 623
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodys3b View Post
Please report back when you have this installed. For me, this is one of two flies in the ointment on my Tiger and the more I ride it the more annoying it becomes. The roads I ride have lots of frost heaves and the bike is constantly surging forward and back as I hit them. I'll have it remapped when I can find the time.
As Jerk has said setting up the throttle cables correctly makes a huge difference. I did a how to on Tiger800.co.uk

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1465.0.html

Throttle response will be as smooth as a baby's bum after adjustment.
KildareMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 04:41 AM   #7145
ElNorto
Adventurer

Oddometer: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by KildareMan View Post
As Jerk has said setting up the throttle cables correctly makes a huge difference. I did a how to on Tiger800.co.uk

http://www.tiger800.co.uk/index.php/topic,1465.0.html

Throttle response will be as smooth as a baby's bum after adjustment.
The bike was recently serviced and has the latest tune and slack taken out of the cables. It is smoother but needs more range of motion at slower speeds. In normal riding (not drag racing) I only use about an 1/8" of throttle motion to accelerate through the gears. It will be a few weeks before I try the G2 throttle. They don't have one listed specifically for the Tiger 800 but was told they could fix me up if the bars are 7/8".
ElNorto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 06:56 AM   #7146
fbj913
I ride

Oddometer: 2,324
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lion BR View Post
Took the tiger out for a spin on some gravel roads. It seems to do fine, considering its weight. It showed to be relatively well composed. And it sounds great at it. But definitely not the most appropriate tool for the job. To the Tiger's defense: no knobby tires, and tires were fully inflated. On the other hand, on ball bearing gravel roads there isn't much that will hold traction anyway.

On corrugations such as in minutes 0:39 and 2:05 and 2:35 and 3:06 you can hear how it makes a lot of noise, coming from the front and the back of the bike. Not much traction on acceleration either (most bikes won't have any traction at all either). I need to check the adjustments for the rear shock.

I was not pushing it, and I don't think I will take it on too many dirt adventures. I know now it can do it, so there it is. But it feels great on pavement and that's where it will spend most of its life.
Airing down and/or different tires makes a HUGE difference!!! Ball bearing gravel roads or not...
fbj913 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:01 AM   #7147
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post
Airing down and/or different tires makes a HUGE difference!!! Ball bearing gravel roads or not...
Airing down tires on a bike this heavy can mean bent rims. And it is such a hassle. I'm mostly a dirt rider and I've ridden bikes with all sorts of tire wear, I know thread makes a difference. But not as much as people tend to believe. Thanks for your comments.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR screwed with this post 07-11-2011 at 07:38 AM
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:39 AM   #7148
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by fbj913 View Post

One thing I forgot to mention on that small review: the front forks absorb the small bumps very well.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:38 AM   #7149
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,862
Picked up my 800XC on Saturday

Saturday:

Sunday:

So far so good. Few pucker moments yesterday but she didn't go down. I really have to get some guards before I do this again.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:43 AM   #7150
Cos
Re-Greekified

Oddometer: 10,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Picked up my 800XC on Saturday
I am extremely jealous

Nice looking bike, even for a scouser supporter
Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 08:50 AM   #7151
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cos View Post
I am extremely jealous

Nice looking bike, even for a scouser supporter

They don't do red so I had to get the closest colo(u)r I could
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 AM   #7152
blacktiger
Tigers R great.

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Sunday:

So far so good. Few pucker moments yesterday but she didn't go down. I really have to get some guards before I do this again.
And some tyres.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:10 AM   #7153
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktiger View Post
And some tyres.
Yup...although they weren't that bad (not too much mud out on the trails) but def need something better. Worst thing was not being able to stand (I need risers) - that hindered me more than the tires did.
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Old 07-11-2011, 09:50 AM   #7154
Porky
Don't Pass Gas

Oddometer: 484
It appears that others have had the same "Jerky Throttle" problem as I have had.

Thanks for all the suggestions to my "Jerky Throttle" thread. I will make sure my bike has tune 20495 and have the freeplay taken out by a dealer different from the one that told me it was "normal".

No fat chicks, fender will scrape.
Porky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 10:17 AM   #7155
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,554
Quote:
Yup...although they weren't that bad (not too much mud out on the trails) but def need something better. Worst thing was not being able to stand (I need risers) - that hindered me more than the tires did.
Did you roll the bars forward? It moves them up a lot, but it also puts them slightly further away. I'm happy with the 20mm risers.