ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Central, Texas & Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 10 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 06-27-2011, 07:16 AM   #61
ddn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 120
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post
Cannonshot has made a very detailed track of the WI portion of the MRT. I converted it to a route (to stay consistent with the other states) and here it is. I've edited the first post in this thread to reflect the new data.

That's four states down! Six to go.

Thanks Cannonshot!
I downloaded this .gpx file and it contains two routes: WI 1 North Section and WI 2 South Section; however, the appear to be the same route?

I'm looking for a gpx file for the MRT for the stuff north of the Twin Cities...
ddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2011, 07:32 AM   #62
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
The MRT could turn out to be a bucket list item for me and I will be watching this thread with anticipation. I would love to run this route on both types of bikes. Thanks to everyone who has done so much work already. When I get time to ride, I will be looking for a list of the sections that have not been completed yet. I may be able to dedicate some of my vacation to helping out as things progress.
LIMNCS #51
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2011, 10:42 AM   #63
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,314
Hey Jamie were those Arkansas tracks of any use to you?
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 01:49 PM   #64
charliesdaemon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 92
Anyone working on Itasca to Twin Cities?

charliesdaemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 04:12 PM   #65
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,692
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddn View Post
I downloaded this .gpx file and it contains two routes: WI 1 North Section and WI 2 South Section; however, the appear to be the same route?

I'm looking for a gpx file for the MRT for the stuff north of the Twin Cities...
Nothing for Minnesota has been done yet. You can check out the MRT website, which has pretty good maps, though nothing that you can download (that I know of).

As for Wisconsin, when I open the route in MapSource, the two routes are different. They connect right around the MN/IA border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Hey Jamie were those Arkansas tracks of any use to you?
Charlie, I never did get them. Recall that I mistyped my email address? Nothing ever showed up to my email box, even after I corrected the typo. Sorry about that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by charliesdaemon View Post
I'd like to add MN to the project!

Jamie

Budget Travel the Jamie Z Way
Jamie Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 03:04 AM   #66
geauXplor
gō-ikˈsplôr

Oddometer: 297
Great thread. I've been planning to ride the Great River Road for some time, but after reading this thread, the Mississippi River Trail is definately more of what I'm really looking for. I am currently deployed to Afghanistan, but hope to ride this route next summer after I get back. Thanks for all the helpful information.

“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” - Mark Twain
geauXplor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 09:49 AM   #67
Bill_Z
Dude! chill,...

Oddometer: 460
I want to do this entire route from Kentucky to Minnesota. I grew up there and would like to visit family during the summer of 2012. It's tough to determine if there is one place for all the routes and I am not a GPS wizard for joining multiple routes, so I figure, if'n I start working my planning now, maybe I can find what I need. Anyone have all the pieces and parts put together or can you recommend a place to begin collecting the parts that are available?

This will be an epic adventure for me. I've done this trip, superslab, in one weekend-there and back again, but traveling over two weeks on the MRT will be a completely different experience.
LIMNCS #51

Bill_Z screwed with this post 09-20-2011 at 11:03 AM
Bill_Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 10:13 AM   #68
ReactorTrip
glows in the dark

Oddometer: 557
I am from the southern end of this route. Was born down there and spent a lot of my life in the Empire/Buras/Boothville/Venice area. There are some smaller roads that are more bike friendly besides the main highway that could give you options, but you will have to get on and off it all the way to Venice. The main highway is very high speed and can be dangerous.

Another option is there is a road on top the levee system. It's shell and rock, but you can see the river. It will be hard going on a road bike.
ReactorTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #69
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

One thing that's bothered me about this project is that the route files are rather inconsistent. A few months back I sent one of the routes to the Garmin Nuvi in my car, and when it read the directions to me, each via point had a nonsense name. Also, those damn blue flags which show up in the route are annoying. And I've figured out that some of the route files are already calculated, which is not what I'd like.

I've slowly learned how to fix those things, so over the course of the next couple of weeks or months, I'll be making the data more consistent and professional.

Meanwhile, anyone wanna work on the head and tail of this project, Minnesota and Louisiana?

Jamie

Old 10-27-2011, 12:06 AM   #70
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Illinois

I personally rode most of the Illinois MRT (or what I could of the route). The very far northern part I estimated by using Vertices, Google Maps, Google Street View, and Mapsource.

For the most part, the route should be ready to go, cleaned up, and pretty.

Jamie
Attached Files
File Type: gpx RouteMRTIllinois.gpx (125.9 KB, 207 views)

Jamie Z screwed with this post 06-20-2013 at 02:44 PM
Old 10-28-2011, 05:21 PM   #71
TRZ Charlie
That's MR. Asshole

Oddometer: 15,314
Jamie you can save the file as a .gdb and then de-blue flag it using WinGDB3. It works like a champ, just browse to the file, choose a file and chose it. Next give the output file a name and location. Choose option number 3 and the flags are gone in your newly made file.
TRZ Charlie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2011, 08:23 PM   #72
Roll_n
2WheelsDown

Oddometer: 148
Minnysotah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Z View Post

Meanwhile, anyone wanna work on the head and tail of this project, Minnesota and Louisiana?

Jamie

Thanks for posting the Illinois stretch, I live near the headwaters of the Miss'ipi in Minnesota, but I'm from the Tennessee River Valley in Northern Alabama. I know some nice roads going south along the river to Iowa, and could make it home once I got to the Land between the Lakes, so your waypoints fill in the gap very nicely.

Anyhoo, I'd love to try and help you fill in the northern part of the trip. Gonna have to wait a few months for the ground truthing, however....
Dave
Old 10-29-2011, 02:43 PM   #73
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRZ Charlie View Post
Jamie you can save the file as a .gdb and then de-blue flag it using WinGDB3. It works like a champ, just browse to the file, choose a file and chose it. Next give the output file a name and location. Choose option number 3 and the flags are gone in your newly made file.
The way I had been removing the Blue Flags was to use a text editor to change "Flag, Blue" to "Waypoint." And then I discovered that the most recent version of Mapsource doesn't use the flags any more, so as I re-do the routes, the blue flags should be gone.

Jamie

Old 10-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #74
Jamie Z OP
Beastly Adventurer

I've remade the Wisconsin route and updated the link: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showp...1&postcount=23

If you have previously saved the route for Wisconsin, I recommend downloading version 2.

A couple years ago Cannonshot sent me the track for Wisconsin, including some clever reroutes where the MRT followed a rails-to-trails line. I simply converted his track to a route and posted it here. The result was that all the via points were arbitrarily placed and had meaningless numerical names. Additionally, the route was split into two sections, north and south.

I've gone through the entire Wisconsin route, following Cannonshots original data and made a clean route in Mapsource. It should be ready to go.

A note: there were some discrepancies between the tracklog and the route as posted on Vertices, even taking into account the bike-only sections. I've gone with Cannonshots data, as I consider it to be more reliable. Thanks again to Cannonshot for his help with this.

Jamie

Old 02-03-2012, 09:03 AM   #75
camgregus
riding gently now

Oddometer: 2,998
Let us revive this from the dead. I did a large part of the LA portion of this recently, but didn't save tracks.... I want to do the rest in the near future. It is great riding, maybe you could join me for some of it Jamie.