Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-13-2011, 12:57 PM   #2416
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,159
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeassloser View Post
Has anyone managed to break anything yet? I know I'm not the only one bashing around on forest service roads and mild trails and wondering how these things are holding up? Mines been rock solid so far.
Are you serious? In my 16,000 miles (split across two MTS1200S's), I've managed to TOTAL the first one in a high-speed ice crash, then recently did $7,000+ (yes, you read that right) damage in a lower-speed crash on an unexpected SILT BED.

Many parts damaged in both cases. Mirrors, handguards, body panels, cases, rear panels where cases plug in, etc. Trying to decide if this is really the bike for me...

--Doc

PS. I'm almost 64 YO, so I should know better...
Isa. 58:14 (KJV)
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
1992 Ducati 900SS (looker)
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #2417
brokeassloser
I'll do it!!!

Oddometer: 190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Are you serious? In my 16,000 miles (split across two MTS1200S's), I've managed to TOTAL the first one in a high-speed ice crash, then recently did $7,000+ (yes, you read that right) damage in a lower-speed crash on an unexpected SILT BED.

Many parts damaged in both cases. Mirrors, handguards, body panels, cases, rear panels where cases plug in, etc. Trying to decide if this is really the bike for me...

--Doc

I guess I should be more clear. I know there are some crashed ones and that will break anything. I'm talking about the kind of breakage that comes from bottoming out the suspension. hammering the drivetrain, and so on.Not that I expect these to hold up like a dirt bike but how "tough" it will turn out to be.I'm not gonna be the first to rail accross the desert but would like to see thelong term results if someone els does.
brokeassloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 03:20 PM   #2418
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:

--Doc

Quote:
I guess I should be more clear. I know there are some crashed ones and that will break anything. I'm talking about the kind of breakage that comes from bottoming out the suspension. hammering the drivetrain, and so on.Not that I expect these to hold up like a dirt bike but how "tough" it will turn out to be.I'm not gonna be the first to rail accross the desert but would like to see thelong term results if someone els does.
If ur not reckin u aint ridin…

If you take the bike anywhere to test the robustness of the chassis, you will be dropping it eventually.

I think Dr. Greg’s experience is very valid… though putting aftermarket hand guards and some crash bars would reduce the damage when it does go down. No getting around the 17” front wheel and significant weight. The former conspires to allow the latter to guarantee a bad result regardless of how well the shocks hold up in the whoops and rocks.
Old 07-13-2011, 10:15 PM   #2419
Cacciatore3
xxx

Oddometer: 7
Multistrada bend rim

Today I hit a rock on Peruvian highway and bend my front rim, please anyone know the solution to this???URGENT , theres no Ducati dealer in Peru. THANKYOU.
Cacciatore3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2011, 11:31 PM   #2420
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacciatore3 View Post
Today I hit a rock on Peruvian highway and bend my front rim, please anyone know the solution to this???URGENT , theres no Ducati dealer in Peru. THANKYOU.
It depends on how bad the bend is. Did the tire lose pressure? If not, then the bead seat is still OK and you can likely bend it back without cracking it. If you did lose tire pressure, then it's bent bad enough that any chance of fixing it will likely mean heating it, but with the rims being as thin as they are, that's a delicate process. Unfortunately it's the only way I know to try to salvage it.

If you have time (i.e. don't need to be anywhere soon), there are places that you can ship your bent wheel to and they will fix it and ship it back, but it can take weeks. Two that are recommended are:

http://www.framestraightsystem.com/M...e%20Repair.htm

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/services.shtml

Good luck!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:31 AM   #2421
canadianstrom
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 153
just a thought

Quote:

If you need to use the bike asap and it holds air what about a large volume of airsoft pellets to act like dynabeads?
probably a stupid idea
nevermind

2003 Suzuki VStrom 1000
2009 Beta Evo 200
2011 GasGas EC300
canadianstrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 06:57 AM   #2422
Ducksbane
Quaaack!!!

Oddometer: 1,156
Quote:

I don't suppose a tube would help?
Old 07-14-2011, 08:16 AM   #2423
Sideout
Noob Adventurer

Oddometer: 654
Damn. That must have propelled your motorcycle insurance cost to the moon.

Quote:

--Doc

Dum spiro spero

Sideout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:01 AM   #2424
Dave.0
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 734
Quote:

I haven't broken anything that wasn't from dumping it over. It sounds like its about to rattle itself to death, though, and I suspect that over time the fit and finish of the many body panels would suffer. I think the suspension is up to the task. If you take the bike off road, my experience is that you will eventually dump it over. I tend to keep going almost until I do, then stop to think that maybe that was stupid. That being said, there are some parts that are really fragile in low to no speed tip overs - the blinker/handguards, the shift lever, and the hard bags (more specifically the plastic piece that the hard bags mount into) So to rectify that you need barkbusters, some sort of protection, and more sturdy or soft bags.

Dr. Gregs damage total estimate seems high. I hit a deer and basically destroyed the front end, including the magnesium bit that mounts all the stuff up front, the oil cooler and radiator as well as the fender and numerous bady panels. It came to around 5000 us dollars. I didn't fall, and pieced it back enough to keep riding so I called that a win for me.
Attached Images

Dave.0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:06 AM   #2425
Cacciatore3
xxx

Oddometer: 7
Bend rim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
It depends on how bad the bend is. Did the tire lose pressure? If not, then the bead seat is still OK and you can likely bend it back without cracking it. If you did lose tire pressure, then it's bent bad enough that any chance of fixing it will likely mean heating it, but with the rims being as thin as they are, that's a delicate process. Unfortunately it's the only way I know to try to salvage it.

If you have time (i.e. don't need to be anywhere soon), there are places that you can ship your bent wheel to and they will fix it and ship it back, but it can take weeks. Two that are recommended are:

http://www.framestraightsystem.com/M...e%20Repair.htm

http://www.woodyswheelworks.com/services.shtml

Good luck!

-SM

Thankyou very much for your advice, I`m tryng to atach the photo....
Yes I loss all the air in 10 seconds...80MPH+-...
Attached Images

Cacciatore3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:46 AM   #2426
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 2,045
Quote:
Thankyou very much for your advice, I`m tryng to atach the photo....
Yes I loss all the air in 10 seconds...80MPH+-...
Ouch. Glad you are OK!

Do you need the bike right away, as in do you live there, or are you on holiday? That really needs to be fixed by one of the places I suggested in my last post. They can fix it, likely for <$200US (which is much less than a new wheel at $1300US , not sure how much it will cost to ship it), but it will take weeks to ship to/from their shop and a few days for them to repair it, assuming they aren't swamped with work. Calling them first is recommended.

If you need the bike right away, you can try to use a rubber mallet and hammer it back into shape enough that it will hold air, but it may crack and you will need to go slow and get it professionally repaired (or replaced) as soon as practical. Absolute worst case, you can look for a 17/18" tube and use that until you can get the wheel fixed. A tube will at least allow you to ride, but again you will need to slow down to avoid overheating the tube.

The other thing is the tire is toast. Notice the cut near the bead where you hit the rock. That will need to be replaced as well, but if you use a tube in it, you should be OK for slow travel until you can get everything properly replaced/repaired.

Best of luck!

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 10:44 AM   #2427
BikeSDP
Reluctantly Crouched

Oddometer: 500
Quote:
My multi has 5500 miles and I still can't imagine a better bike! Loving it so far.

I tried a variation on the winscreen spacing- I spaced out only the bottom 1/4" and it made a huge difference! I can hear my motor at highway speeds now! It still isn't a goldwing but it isn't supposed to be.

Has anyone managed to break anything yet? I know I'm not the only one bashing around on forest service roads and mild trails and wondering how these things are holding up? Mines been rock solid so far.
So you put a nylon 1/4" spacer in there and a longer M5x12 or 15 bolt with a fender washer at the bottom? How tall are 'ya? I've been running with the CalSci shorty the last few weeks and it's marginally better.

I haven't broken anything on mine yet, but it's not seen dirt as I have a 990 for that.
BikeSDP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 12:39 PM   #2428
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideout View Post
Damn. That must have propelled your motorcycle insurance cost to the moon.
Y'know, it hasn't done a thing. No surcharge, as they say. Maybe it was the two Buells I totaled (one a severe tankslapper and the other a deer) before the Multis that made State Farm give me that special "no surcharge" policy on the Duc .

--Doc

PS. Having totaled 3.5 bikes in the last five years (along w/11 fractures) Mrs. Greg has been dropping hints about alternative hobbies...
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-14-2011, 01:42 PM   #2429
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
That being said, there are some parts that are really fragile in low to no speed tip overs - the blinker/handguards, the shift lever, and the hard bags (more specifically the plastic piece that the hard bags mount into) So to rectify that you need barkbusters, some sort of protection, and more sturdy or soft bags.
Yep, I bent/broke all the parts you mentioned. I'm going to try and fit some "single-point mount" Barkbusters, and attach the turn signals to those somehow...likely won't look too pretty, but it'll work for me. I'd think about changing side cases, but availability seems iffy right now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave.0 View Post
Dr. Gregs damage total estimate seems high. I hit a deer and basically destroyed the front end, including the magnesium bit that mounts all the stuff up front, the oil cooler and radiator as well as the fender and numerous bady panels. It came to around 5000 us dollars. I didn't fall, and pieced it back enough to keep riding so I called that a win for me.
Quote seemed high to me as well, but I wasn't doing the counting...maybe parts are more dear here in the People's Republic of New Mexico.

In addition, I think I'm going to be a little more cognizant of road conditions. Every crash I've had in the last five years has been due to some kind of unexpected road condition...

As my high school buddy's ole sarge used to say, "...be careful out there..."

--Doc
2013 BMW GSW (traveler)
Old 07-14-2011, 02:46 PM   #2430
wilmar13
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 592
Quote:
I'm going to try and fit some "single-point mount" Barkbusters, and attach the turn signals to those somehow...
Use Zeta handguards with integrated LED turn signals... will look good and dirt cheap. I had them on my Ducati Hypermotard to replace the fragile stockers. Weighed less, looked better, and much stronger than the stock Ducati plastic garbage.They will withstand a fall too.
http://www.zeta-racing.com/handguard...her/index.html

Random pic of MTS1100 with them: