Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2005, 08:01 PM   #1
marco polo OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Mapsource Question: Downloading Mapsets

I'm a relatively new Garmin user (I have the 276C) and I have a question about downloading mapsets from my PC to my GPS. Several weeks ago I highlighted a series of maps and downloaded them to the GPS in anticipation of riding to the MOA rally in Lima, Ohio. In checking the detailed maps on the GPS I see that I should have downloaded more detailed maps around the rally site. My question: can I simply select a few more detailed maps in Mapsource on my PC and download them to my GPS (thereby adding them to the maps already in the GPS) or do I have to create an entirely new mapset to download (because I'd effectively be "erasing the maps already in my GPS by downloading a few new ones)? I think I know the answer, but I'd like to be sure before wasting time. Thanks.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 08:11 PM   #2
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,766
Quote:
Originally Posted by marco polo
I'm a relatively new Garmin user (I have the 276C) and I have a question about downloading mapsets from my PC to my GPS. Several weeks ago I highlighted a series of maps and downloaded them to the GPS in anticipation of riding to the MOA rally in Lima, Ohio. In checking the detailed maps on the GPS I see that I should have downloaded more detailed maps around the rally site. My question: can I simply select a few more detailed maps in Mapsource on my PC and download them to my GPS (thereby adding them to the maps already in the GPS) or do I have to create an entirely new mapset to download (because I'd effectively be "erasing the maps already in my GPS by downloading a few new ones)? I think I know the answer, but I'd like to be sure before wasting time. Thanks.
When you download maps the original maps are erased first. In other words, you will need to select ALL the maps you want, and download them at once.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2005, 09:46 PM   #3
nationwide
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 179
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimVonBaden
When you download maps the original maps are erased first. In other words, you will need to select ALL the maps you want, and download them at once.

Jim
It would be nice if it worked the other way, wouldn't it? Esp those of us with cheapo serial interfaces where downloading a map set takes 50 mins.

Jason
nationwide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 07:27 AM   #4
marco polo OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 630
Thanks

Thanks for the replies guys. You confirmed what I expected. Oh well, at least I can use a USB cable to download.
marco polo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2005, 01:18 PM   #5
christian
Exchange your GPS Track!

Oddometer: 2,614
Thumb new to GPS

And if you are new to GPS, you may also want to take a look at www.gpsxchange.com