Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-14-2011, 05:03 PM   #2431
capriccio
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,906
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokeassloser View Post
I guess I should be more clear. I know there are some crashed ones and that will break anything. I'm talking about the kind of breakage that comes from bottoming out the suspension. hammering the drivetrain, and so on.Not that I expect these to hold up like a dirt bike but how "tough" it will turn out to be.I'm not gonna be the first to rail accross the desert but would like to see thelong term results if someone els does.
Can't remember the name (but Google is your friend) an Eyetalian guy did a world trip by way of deserts, mountains and mud on MT1200, Try motoblog.it(English version) or Ducati web site for a search.

Capriccio.
capriccio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 11:18 PM   #2432
Ramv
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 456
I have the Barkbusters around my stock, brittle, junk. Totally worth it. OZ Tim on the Duc.ms board had a good thread on attaching the stockers to the barkbusters for protection and keeping the signal lights.

The suspension is very nice on these bike, I am very impressed. I also book marked the rim repair places Sock mentioned, just in case. :(.

I am trying to run about 20% dirt, to 80% pavement. Boreas pass today.

'07 Super Enduro 950
'96 KLX250R - kind of street legal
Ramv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:22 AM   #2433
Dr. Greg
Tryin' to get home..

Oddometer: 1,131
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramv View Post
I have the Barkbusters around my stock, brittle, junk. Totally worth it. OZ Tim on the Duc.ms board had a good thread on attaching the stockers to the barkbusters for protection and keeping the signal lights.
Um, where was that? I just did exactly that and I might as well see how badly I screwed it up...

--Doc
1991 Honda Hawk NT650 (commuter)
Dr. Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:44 AM   #2434
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 313
I have about 11,000 miles on my '10 MTS 1200. The only broken thing I've had from riding offroad is that one of the bolts holding the stock license plate fell off. It vibrated off due to about a 60 mile gravel road with real washboard.

It's no dirtbike, the 17 in front tire is too jittery, but fully capable if one chooses and is aware of the consequences, $$$$. My biggest problem with it offroad not on pavement is the DTC cutting in too much.

I agree wonderfull bike, but the potential repair bill keeps me from pushingthe bike to any where nears it's potential, there's a reason I still have chicken strips, I don't want to face a multi thousand$ repair bill even if its a minor drop.
NMEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:30 PM   #2435
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Oddometer: 1,919
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Greg View Post
Um, where was that? I just did exactly that and I might as well see how badly I screwed it up...

--Doc
http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multi...ds-bolted.html

-SM
Sock Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 12:35 PM   #2436
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
Originally Posted by NMEXPAT View Post
My biggest problem with it offroad not on pavement is the DTC cutting in too much.
So turn the DTC off. Menu > DTC > On/Off. Done.

-SM
Old 07-18-2011, 01:24 PM   #2437
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
I have about 11,000 miles on my '10 MTS 1200. The only broken thing I've had from riding offroad is that one of the bolts holding the stock license plate fell off. It vibrated off due to about a 60 mile gravel road with real washboard.

It's no dirtbike, the 17 in front tire is too jittery, but fully capable if one chooses and is aware of the consequences, $$$$. My biggest problem with it offroad not on pavement is the DTC cutting in too much.

I agree wonderfull bike, but the potential repair bill keeps me from pushingthe bike to any where nears it's potential, there's a reason I still have chicken strips, I don't want to face a multi thousand$ repair bill even if its a minor drop.
Doesn't sound like much fun riding a bike around with all that running through your head. I like ripping around fire roads and trails on my DR650 because I never worry about dropping it, and it's been dropped quite a few times. I'm afraid I would probably be more like Dr Greg and try using the bike to it's potential, which would far outweigh my skill and then as you say, end up with a large $$$$ repair bill. For me that's just the price of admission though, to me there's no point riding around scared I might break something.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 05:06 AM   #2438
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sock Monkey View Post
So turn the DTC off. Menu > DTC > On/Off. Done.

-SM
I will admit I never completely turned it off. I did play with the various TC levels, even at it's lowest setting it still kicked in too much on washboards.
Old 07-19-2011, 06:32 AM   #2439
NMEXPAT
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bross View Post
Doesn't sound like much fun riding a bike around with all that running through your head.
Perhaps I wasn't very clear. I'm only really concerned with dropping in the dirt. On the pavement it isn't so much of a worry, and doesn't keep me from opening it up. I just don't ride like a jackass with it.
I have a track bike so I can pretend to ne a fat collin rewards or ben spies.
For some reason the layout of the bike really allows you to hang off. It is very easy to get your but off the seat head and chest moved over and further ahead all of which keep the bike more upright.
Old 07-19-2011, 08:00 AM   #2440
bross
Where we riding to?

Oddometer: 4,369
Quote:
Perhaps I wasn't very clear. I'm only really concerned with dropping in the dirt. On the pavement it isn't so much of a worry, and doesn't keep me from opening it up. I just don't ride like a jackass with it.
I have a track bike so I can pretend to ne a fat collin rewards or ben spies.
For some reason the layout of the bike really allows you to hang off. It is very easy to get your but off the seat head and chest moved over and further ahead all of which keep the bike more upright.
As long as you're having fun.
bross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2011, 08:32 PM   #2441
sfarson
On a Ride

Oddometer: 2,128
FWIW, Recently captured an HD video following three other MTS12 riders up a canyon, and then captured an HDR image of the MTS12.

Old 07-20-2011, 09:16 PM   #2442
Sock Monkey
Corporate slave

Quote:
I will admit I never completely turned it off. I did play with the various TC levels, even at it's lowest setting it still kicked in too much on washboards.
That matches my experience, and is why I now just turn it off once my tires hit the dirty part of the ride. Then it acts like a real dirt bike (well...a 150HP dirt bike ).

-SM
Old 07-20-2011, 09:35 PM   #2443
Lambo
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 604
I tried the Zeta's

Everything mounted up OK with a bit of messing about but...the turn signals do not like the Zeta LED's. They flash once and stop working ( the rear units continue to flash as usual). Tried several combinations but can only get the stockers to work. Any thoughts as to a fix?

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilmar13 View Post
Use Zeta handguards with integrated LED turn signals... will look good and dirt cheap. I had them on my Ducati Hypermotard to replace the fragile stockers. Weighed less, looked better, and much stronger than the stock Ducati plastic garbage.They will withstand a fall too.
http://www.zeta-racing.com/handguard...her/index.html

Random pic of MTS1100 with them:

Support Mental Health or I'll Kill you.

Ironically, Chuck Norris’ hidden talent is invisibility.
Lambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:38 AM   #2444
wilmar13
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 415
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
Everything mounted up OK with a bit of messing about but...the turn signals do not like the Zeta LED's. They flash once and stop working ( the rear units continue to flash as usual). Tried several combinations but can only get the stockers to work. Any thoughts as to a fix?
Yes good point... didn't know stock MTS are not LED's. You need to change your flash relay to an electronic one if it is a mechanical shunt type. You can get them at any auto parts store for like $6. Just find your stock relay and swap it out. I don't have a MTS so I can't help with specifics.
Old 07-21-2011, 04:19 AM   #2445
TIGERRIDER007
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 732
interested in the multi

I rode a white 2010 demo yesterday at my local dealer, and absolutely loved it. I currently have an 06 Tiger and will never part with it, so my concern with buying a Ducati is one of longevity. I've never owned one, so I'm not real sure of reliability and all the quirks that go with any model. Will it leave me stranded on a long trip? I've looked through this thread and have started my research quest. So, if anyone out there has been a Ducati loyalist and has advice, I'm listening. Is there anything to be wary of when purchasing a 1200 Multi? My dealer has a white 2010 on the floor for $14995, is this pretty consistent with a new multi price?
Thanks for any information, let the process begin!
TIGERRIDER007 is offline   Reply With Quote