Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2011, 08:11 PM   #31
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Oddometer: 27,676
Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Stainz View Post
I switched back last year. I checked myself into a hospital last year for depression. I was there for two weeks. I guess I gave up on life. Went through a lot of crap unemployment,divorce etc. I know I needed a change and part of it was exercise. Got myself a full suspension and jumped back on the trails. where I live I have a ton of trails to choose from. And they are mostly uphill (ha-ha) Anyway the first few days I sucked. I rode through the pain, the soreness but now I ride because I am addicted to it but also it's a release for me. it feels like I can pedal away the anger, frustrations, the bullshit that I can't deal with. I believe people ride for different reasons and I ride to "recover". The answer is yes for me.
Sweet. Endorphins and seratonin beat lithium, etc any day of the week.

M
Old 04-12-2011, 12:44 AM   #32
dirtypumpkin
"Monster Truck Bike"

Oddometer: 13,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gummee! View Post
Sweet. Endorphins and seratonin beat lithium, etc any day of the week.

M
Hell yeah, good post greenstainz, congrats on beating your bout with depression.
If you wish to travel far and fast, travel light. Take off all your envies,
jealousies, unforgiveness, selfishness, and fears. -- Glenn Clark
dirtypumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:20 PM   #33
Green Stainz
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,987
Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtypumpkin View Post
Hell yeah, good post greenstainz, congrats on beating your bout with depression.
Thanks bro. I still have some rough days but it's been a while that I used to either lay in bed for half the day or sit outside kind of zoned out. Many of dark nights when I didn't think I could overcome my depression hence my vacation at the hospital. I'm going to do a race in pueblo in 11 days. 35 miles of single track I am not a pro but wanted to have an early season goal for myself.
Green Stainz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 05:23 PM   #34
KellyC
TimeKeeper

Oddometer: 604
I'm 35 with a 2-year-old so yes I've gone from riding dirt bikes a lot with a little mountain biking to riding mountain bikes a lot with a little dirt biking.

Before my wife and I had our daughter, I was practice riding twice a week and racing enduro on Sundays. Now I'm lucky to race two to three enduros a year and ride two to three times a month.

It's really easy for me to get time on the mountain bike since I have multiple loops out of my driveway that can go from quick 30-1 hour rides to full on 2 and 3 hour rides. I also do a lot of night riding too so it's just easier to get more mountain biking in now. If I want to, I can ride 6 to 8 hours a week before and after work without my wife even noticing.

It's not an either or thing for me and I still see mountain biking as a means to an end... I do it because it's more fun than running and the skills/endurance make me a better motorcyclist, but yes I am doing more mountain biking than dirt biking right now.

I recently sold all my geared parts and bought a Trek/Gary Fisher Rig. It's a singlespeed 29er hardtail. I'm in a lot of pain on my rides but loving the simplicity of no gears.
Old 04-26-2011, 05:31 AM   #35
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Thanks bro. I still have some rough days but it's been a while that I used to either lay in bed for half the day or sit outside kind of zoned out. Many of dark nights when I didn't think I could overcome my depression hence my vacation at the hospital. I'm going to do a race in pueblo in 11 days. 35 miles of single track I am not a pro but wanted to have an early season goal for myself.
Go get em Tiger!

M
Old 04-26-2011, 06:16 AM   #36
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Quote:
I'm going to do a race in pueblo in 11 days. 35 miles of single track I am not a pro but wanted to have an early season goal for myself.
So how did you do..??....dammm thats a lot of pedaling...!!...
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 11:56 PM   #37
Dukeryder

Oddometer: 7,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by GaryHarris View Post
Riding Mountain bikes is probably the best training you can do to ride dirt bikes. And then back again.

That looks a lot nicer than the trails in Memorial park that snake along the bayou!

I've been riding Mt. Bikes for the last 20 years off and on (I still suck at it). Just started doing more riding since I came out here to California. The trails are beautiful but the hills are a real mother for a fat arse like myself. I did a little over 15 miles at Henry W. Coe a few weeks ago, I thought I was going to die after all that climbing but the trails were truly epic. I can ride on flatish trails for 90 mins no problem but running a 90 minute hare scramble is more draining, but nothing is tougher than pedaling up long climbs.

Oh yeah and Mountain biking can easily exceed the cost of dirt biking. One of the local shops wanted $3000 for a Niner Rip9 with the SLX group! I demo'd the bike for a weekend and it was awesome, and I ended up building up a FS bike but for less than 1/3 the cost.

Dukeryder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2011, 04:46 AM   #38
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dukeryder View Post
Oh yeah and Mountain biking can easily exceed the cost of dirt biking. One of the local shops wanted $3000 for a Niner Rip9 with the SLX group! I demo'd the bike for a weekend and it was awesome, and I ended up building up a FS bike but for less than 1/3 the cost.
You think that's spendy, don't look up how much the Epic S-Works costs.

M
Old 05-26-2011, 07:28 PM   #39
plutonic
Banned

Oddometer: 3,575
Quote:
it feels like I can pedal away the anger, frustrations, the bullshit that I can't deal with. I believe people ride for different reasons and I ride to "recover". The answer is yes for me.

This.
plutonic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 07:45 AM   #40
jake28
Riding to the horizon.

Oddometer: 391
Motor: Noise and trailer 1-2 hours to riding area
Pedal: Silent and ride 3 blocks to riding area

Motor: Engine blows up, open wallet and cry.
Pedal: Engine blows up, I sit on the corner and drink a RedBull.

Motor: Riding areas continually under pressure and often close.
Pedal: Federal budget to promote riding is increasing. (See NYTimes article on bike economics this morning).

It is hard to compare and contrast and the two activites complement one another perfectly.

jake28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:43 AM   #41
tcskibike2008
SnowHawker

Oddometer: 195
My bikes evolved through the 90's into 8 inch travel downhill missiles, I took the next logical step and added a motor without ever riding a motorcycle. I feel it was a natural evolution.
tcskibike2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:12 AM   #42
dhfox
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Quote:
Originally Posted by jake28 View Post
Motor: Riding areas continually under pressure and often close.
Pedal: Federal budget to promote riding is increasing. (See NYTimes article on bike economics this morning).
Maybe road biking is being promoted, but mountain bike trails are being closed just as fast as dirt bike trails. That's thanks to the (elitist) Sierra Club + hikers + equestrians that have convinced the gov't to ban all mechanized travel from so many trails. Even trails that were created/improved by mountain bikers. It's very very sad.
dhfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:40 PM   #43
yater
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
I grew up riding dirtbikes....jr50 to kx250...I've also been paid to ride mountain bikes (barely broke even). Fat guys can be fast on dirtbikes...not so on mountain bikes. I can look at the field in a mtb race and pick off the guys who have no chance...but I've been beaten in hare scrambles by fat guys who are twice my age.
yater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:39 AM   #44
ct-ktm
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,116
Sooo you can pedal a bike, But suck at riding motorcycles....is that your only point..?.

I used to ride dirtbikes with a guy that was a sponsered mountain biker also..
we got sick of waiting for him and he could never hang with us....
ct-ktm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:44 AM   #45
Gummee!
That's MR. Toothless

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct-ktm View Post
Sooo you can pedal a bike, But suck at riding motorcycles....is that your only point..?.

I used to ride dirtbikes with a guy that was a sponsered mountain biker also..
we got sick of waiting for him and he could never hang with us....
IDK about Yater, but my brain goes kinda haywire past about 25-30mph. Slower and more technical stuff? Great! Bring it on. The nastier the better. Fast, open, swoopy stuff? Brain isn't useta handling all that info that fast.

I blame 20+ years of bicycling. Lots of it off-road. I've gotten used to going X speed. Slower is OK. Faster is tough.

M

Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: