Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-24-2011, 06:09 AM   #1
Iron_HawK OP
Farkle Enthusiast

Oddometer: 52
Bluhduh 1981 Suzuki GS 450 Cafe Racer Build Thread

Okay I literally just signed up here at ADVrider! I'm anxious to learn and read what this site has to offer. Just a bit of a background on me I am currently a junior Mechanical Engineer at University of Evansville (Southern Indiana). As a kid, the reason I started riding bicycles was that I could get a motorcycle. Pretty much ever since my first motorcycle, an old Yamaha PW90, I have been hooked on 2 wheel machines. I'm probably one of the few people that rode Deal's Gap as a 15 year old with my permit. I have done a lot of riding on my dad's 2004 DRZ400S. I love it for a dual sport and is a great bike! My personal bike that I treasure is a 1999 Triumph Speed Triple 955i. I bought a 1997 Honda CBR 600F3 before I bought my first car. Last year I sold it for the Speed Triple. Lately I have been building up a 1988 Jeep Cherokee XJ shown below:

I actually have a build thread for the XJ at Cherokeeforum.com here. I am a firm believer in "Built, not Bought" I hope my Jeep personifies that enough. I have started a new friendship with a 1981 Suzuki GS 450L I received for free. The previous owner was a friend that only hoped that I might get it running. I wish I had a pic of how it sat when I brought it home. It was covered in rust, seat torn, spark plug boots/caps ripped off, run down battery, rotted out tires, the works... it just had sat outside for years and it definitely showed it. I have always had a thing for cafe racer styled bikes. So it was enough for me to start the GS. I got a lot of the motivation from wrenchmonkees.com that I found from reading a article in CycleWorld. It got me thinking and ultimately got me to start building.

I got it running after cleaning up the carbs, starter brushes and throwing a new battery in it. Inside the engine looked flawless and it has good compression so I felt it would be a good project to pursue.

After taking most of the fairings, fenders, tank, and whatnot we have this:

I started cleaning up and painting parts:

I also ordered a pair of new Shinco 712s from JCWhitney. 2 tires for close to $100 shipped aint bad. Plus they look great for this style bike.

I currently don't have pics of the forks cleaned up and on with the front wheel and tires and chopped fender but I will tomorrow. My plan was to build the GS into a budget Cafe Project, so far I have $150 into the new tires, paint, air filters, and a battery. I will be trying to reuse as many original parts as I can, however I am trying to modify them to bring a certain look.

Thanks to everyone that reads this build thread. I hope to present the information and progress clearly and completely. Questions, comments, ideas are all appreciated! Thanks again guys, keep riding!

Iron_HawK screwed with this post 08-06-2011 at 02:26 PM
Iron_HawK is offline   Reply With Quote