User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #1
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Oddometer: 1,101
Yet another KLRE650...

Ok, so thanks to RepsolRider and his Super Rio, which is the basis for this build.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...ghlight=kle650

Apologies in advance - I had LOTS of pictures, most of which got deleted by accident. Basically the finished product (well, still have some details to touch up) is all the pictures I have, but just wanted to post her up anyway.

The only thing I didn't do myself on this project was the exhaust. The muffler is a titanium stocker off an R1. Nice, light, quiet, free.

Anyway, this is an amateur build at best, so excuse the shitty welds, etc. ***Ride impressions later in the thread.***

Krasniewski screwed with this post 12-30-2012 at 03:30 PM
Krasniewski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 05:36 AM   #2
Ridin'nFishin
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 426
You got it.

"Anyway, this is an amateur build at best, so excuse the shitty welds and setup. I've only ridden the bike around the block so far, but so far, seems like plenty of power and similar weight to what it was in stock form."

This may be true, but you do have a KLR with a 650r motor in it.
Yes another KLRE650.

Great Job!
Old 07-28-2011, 06:10 AM   #3
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Oddometer: 1,470
Wow, somehow I thought I'd have the second one. One should never assume anything. Congrats on working it out. Now build some proper downtubes for that Beast!

SamM
SamM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 08:26 AM   #4
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
Now build some proper downtubes for that Beast!

SamM
I'd sure like to see the downtubes that you built.

Just for the record, my downtubes are part of the factory Ninja 650 frame... definitely stronger than anything I can build and fit quite well.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #5
SamM
Jeep Overlander

A wiseman once said, "... a man's gotta know his limitations!"

Honestly, I didn't realize that was part of the Ninja frame. I let the pros do the stuff that I can't or won't trust my life to! All will be revealed soon enough. What did you do about the airfilters and engine offset?

SamM
Old 07-28-2011, 10:08 AM   #6
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Air filtration is pretty tough - I may build an airbox later, but so far I've been playing around with filtration right over the throttle body - there is very little clearance on the left cylinder. The engine sits a bit to the right for sprocket alignment, but doesn't seem to be an issue - just had to beat the tank in with a hammer to make it clear the motor.

Rode the bike into work today - no issues so far. It's really nice to have a 6th gear!
Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 AM   #7
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Pretty much the same thing we have seen. We have some original ideas about a few things that you have mentioned. How is the cooling with the stock '08 radiator? I bet 6th gear is nice to have. Congrats on the bike! Very cool!

SamM
Old 07-28-2011, 12:40 PM   #8
SamM
Jeep Overlander

SamM screwed with this post 08-12-2011 at 02:38 PM Reason: to fix pictures
Old 07-28-2011, 12:47 PM   #9
SamM
Jeep Overlander

KLRE650ie teaser pics

You asked so it's not really a hijack. Here are a couple of teaser pics. There will be spreader bars fishmouthed above the oil filter and just in front of the oil pan. The JNS skidplate will fit the same as it did before. The only difference is that the skidplate will need to be removed to access the oil filter for oil changes. No big deal! We have also changed a few things and have a novel approach to others. Hope you like the pics!

SamM
Old 07-28-2011, 05:03 PM   #10
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamM View Post
How is the cooling with the stock '08 radiator?
SamM

AOK on the cooling - the 08+ rad is alu and almost exactly the same size as the Ninja's, only it's set up to be vertical on the side, as opposed to horizontal in the middle, which seemed easier to mount.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 07-29-2011 at 11:44 AM
Old 07-28-2011, 11:34 PM   #11
repsolrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 128
KILLER job enjoy your, Super rare bike. Keep us in the loop with perfomance reports.

Cheers S,
Old 07-29-2011, 11:43 AM   #12
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Thanks RR - sure do appreciate your help!

SamM - I see the pics now - lookin' good!
Old 07-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #13
Krasniewski OP
I don't ride much.

Took a little ride out into the hills after work today with a buddy on his DR. Nothing crazy, just some gravel roads and the like, but the new rig performed admirably, and I must say, I'm quite pleased with myself.

Great power, good engine braking, flat torque curve, super smooth, and not picky about what gear you're in. If you're in a low gear uphill, she's a little sensitive to power input, but something you get used to, or simply upshift to get rid of (EDIT: now that I think about it, this is probably due to the fact that I removed the secondary throttle butterflies). The stock sprockets from the Ninja motor and the KLR wheel even are working out perfectly for me. Highways on the way home are no problem up to 90+ mph.

The only minuses so far are the brake pedal, which needs to be moved a bit, as the engine case makes it awkward to access and the fuel map isn't 100% right, and with engine braking the exhaust had a lean pop to it on rare occasion. It's pretty close, and I'm not sure if I'll get a PC and a custom map yet or not. It certainly would help, but I'm not sure it's worth the money - a rear shock would prob be closer to the top of my list.

The first two are vids (click on them) and the rest are pics for you to enjoy! (Noise in the vids is a Nalgene bottle and leatherman bouncing around in the saddlebags.)

Titanium exhaust - factory can off a 2009 Yamaha R1.

Krasniewski screwed with this post 08-03-2011 at 09:40 PM
Old 07-29-2011, 09:30 PM   #14
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Quote:
SamM - I see the pics now - lookin' good!
Thanks Krasniewski! I hope you don't think that I was criticizing your bike in any way. There are many ways to get the same result. You've got a KLRE now and that's cool! Please give us your opinion on how great it is and share some riding impressions with us. What do you plan to use it for? Touring? Dualsporting and commuting?

SamM
Old 07-29-2011, 09:31 PM   #15
SamM
Jeep Overlander

Wow that was fast. Didn't see your post. Thanks!