ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Road warriors
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-22-2011, 07:07 AM   #61
BikePilot
Beastly Adventurer
 
BikePilot's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2005
Location: Tampa
Oddometer: 11,206
That is a nicely setup BMW! Personally I find the I4 a bit bland and the power while good, isn't quite what bmw claims it seems (MCN found 128hp at the wheel - which works out to be about the same as you get with the Multi). Its also 50lbs over his weight limit, but 500lbs is going to be a hard one to hit with anything other than the multi or SMT.

Wheelbase is good for pillion-toting - really helps the chassis remain composed with extra weight back there I find.
__________________
'09 Buell XB12XT, TL1000S, H1F, M620, CR250R, KX100, XR650R, Cota 315R

Summer 2009 Ride Report http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...1509c&t=507038
Summer 2008 RR. http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=367703
BikePilot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 12:38 PM   #62
Revan
Throttle Jockey
 
Revan's Avatar
 
Joined: Sep 2010
Location: Midwest
Oddometer: 128
Based upon the criteria, ..... I would have to put in a vote for the Ducati Multistrata or a Tiger 1050........BUT......I would add the Buell Ulysses (the lower XT version) as a bike to consider (if you are not looking at strictly buying a new machine).

I say that because, based upon personal experience, the Ulysses was one of THE MOST comfortable (and fun) bikes I have EVER ridden, and it is considered one of the best in pillion comfort as well......and the XT version should come standard with heated grips and side cases.

Even though it is no speed demon, its Hp/torque numbers are decent (with a simple exhaust-ECU-airbox mod you can get around 90-100hp and 85-90ft/lbs at the rear wheel), it's under 500lbs, and its inherent design (rigid frame, short wheelbase, low/centered mass, good suspension, v-twin torque) not only gives it glassy-smooth ride, but makes it a REMARKABLY AGILE machine that will chew up any twisty road you throw at it.

(The first time I rolled the throttle and layed in with a good countersteer on my Uly, the bike shocked the hell outta me as to how quickly/solidly it dropped into the corner and turned.)

Also, if you want character and soul, the Buell has both in boatloads.....there is nothing else like it on the road.

If you ever have an opportunity to test drive a Buell (even just for fun), go for it.


....just my humble opinion....for what it's worth.


Revan.
__________________
Time is a companion that goes with us on a journey. It reminds us to cherish each moment, because it will never come again. What we leave behind is not as important as how we have lived. -Jean Luc Picard
Revan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 03:01 PM   #63
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer
 
Echo3Niner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
The multi really isn't all that tall imho - you've been away from dirt bikes an on itty bitty road bikes too long I think
You are probably right about that!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
The KTM SMT is worth a test ride as well. Nice sporting v2 motor as well.
I have looked at the KTM's, and would consider one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Have you thought about the Tiger 1050 as well?
Yes, it's on the original list (post #1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tundra61 View Post
I know you said you don't want a German bike - but I feel my k1200r meets all of your criteria.

Last but not least - you can get great deals on them.
That is a pretty Bimmer!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikePilot View Post
Its also 50lbs over his weight limit, but 500lbs is going to be a hard one to hit with anything other than the multi or SMT.
The weight and HP ratings are guidelines, mostly to denote the type of performance I'm looking for; 50 lbs. wouldn't be a deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revan View Post
Also, if you want character and soul, the Buell has both in boatloads.....there is nothing else like it on the road.

If you ever have an opportunity to test drive a Buell (even just for fun), go for it.


....just my humble opinion....for what it's worth.


Revan.
Thanks for your opinion, and I agree, I have always been a fan of EB's bikes. I am looking for something new/trouble free however.
__________________
Semper Fi
2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE & 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada Former 2007 RW&B VFR800
Marine Veteran & father of Sgt. Doug; (2 tours: Iraq) AND Former 2nd Lt. Corielle (Corie); VMI NROTC/Marine Opt. Grad
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:18 PM   #64
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer
 
Echo3Niner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Oddometer: 98
Heading up to dealer for some maintenance work on my bike next weekend, will try the Tiger and Storm (or Thunderbird if they don't have the Storm in stock).
__________________
Semper Fi
2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE & 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada Former 2007 RW&B VFR800
Marine Veteran & father of Sgt. Doug; (2 tours: Iraq) AND Former 2nd Lt. Corielle (Corie); VMI NROTC/Marine Opt. Grad
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 06:36 PM   #65
Jim Bud
Beastly Adventurer
 
Jim Bud's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2003
Location: Castle Rock, CO
Oddometer: 3,439
You have not said that money was an issue, so, if it's not I would say that your best bet will be the new BMW 1600.

It has the power, it has the handling, and it works for those of us with shorter lower appenditures. And I bet your wife will love it too. OK, it weighs a bit over your desired limit, but after you ride it....tell me that weight is a problem!

Now, if money is an issue, and you don't want a German machine, and you insist on less than 550 lbs., and you want to have lots of scoot.....well, your choices are very limited.
Have fun shopping!
__________________
Jim Bud


"Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character......give him power".....Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2011, 09:27 PM   #66
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer
 
Echo3Niner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Oddometer: 98
Well, sat on the Storm; she liked it, I still don't like the forward pegs or the fact it's so low it'll drag the undercarriage around anything tight.

The Sprint GT was OK, but again reminded me of an even heavier version of my Interceptor, so I think the whole line of ST's are out now.

The Tiger was so high as to be unwieldy, which now has me questioning the Multistrada even more. This was a Tiger 800, and was awkward getting on, made me feel like a little kid trying to get on a big kids bike... I know I'm vertically challenged, but shesh!

I'll tell ya, after that little tour of bikes, I'm actually leaning more towards the Diavel...

Guess we'll just have to make an appointment to go to the Ducati dealer and try both to see how they feel...
__________________
Semper Fi
2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE & 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada Former 2007 RW&B VFR800
Marine Veteran & father of Sgt. Doug; (2 tours: Iraq) AND Former 2nd Lt. Corielle (Corie); VMI NROTC/Marine Opt. Grad
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 04:32 AM   #67
pookiebear
Studly Adventurer
 
pookiebear's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: CharVegas
Oddometer: 944
Corbin has a saddle with pillion backrest for the 2001-2011 Bonneville, Thruxton, Scrambler & T100's
That would be my choice for a non german, non japanese bike
Attached Images
 
pookiebear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 05:15 AM   #68
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer
 
Moronic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Oddometer: 1,533
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post

I'll tell ya, after that little tour of bikes, I'm actually leaning more towards the Diavel...
This doesn't look to me like a comfy pillion perch, but to each her own.




The pic is from UK bike writer Kevin Ash's site, where he has a report on the Diavel that includes comments from a passenger.

Moronic screwed with this post 07-18-2011 at 07:49 AM
Moronic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 10:37 AM   #69
rocker59
diplomatico di moto
 
rocker59's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: The Trans-Mississippi
Oddometer: 15,538
That Diavel is one stupid-looking bike...

Should be in the W-T-F Picture Thread...

__________________
Rocker59 (aka guzzimike), Aux Arcs (NW Arkansas)
Moto Guzzi: LeMans 1000 CI, Sport 1100, V11 LeMans Nero Corsa
IBA #24873, MGNOC #21347
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt
rocker59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2011, 08:30 PM   #70
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer
 
Echo3Niner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
This doesn't look to me like a comfy pillion perch, but to each her own.

The pic is from UK bike writer Kevin Ash's site, where he has a report on the Diavel that includes comments from a passenger.
That was a great article, thanks! More pillion info in it than I've seen in most. This part was troubling:

"As for passengers themselves, finding one the right size is important. I came up trumps with Claire Warner, Diavel fan, cute, compact and a perfect fit. She found the seat itself exceptionally comfortable, very wide and supportive. “The footrests are in the right position too, if you’re 5’2”(1.57m), but for anyone much taller they’ll start to feel cramped and too high. No problem on the right side with a boot heel clashing with the exhaust heat shield.” It looks as if it might, but that wasn’t the case with Claire’s Italy-friendly size 4s anyway."

Mainly because my wife is 5'8"+ and not as tiny as she used to be... Of course, I'm far from tiny myself...

I did get an email back from the Duc dealer, he doesn't have any Diavel's left anyway, and doesn't expect to get anymore this model-year. He has 3 Multi's though, so we can see first hand how tall they are.

Outside of that, I think we're going to have trouble finding something that I will like riding, and the pillion will like riding on as well...
__________________
Semper Fi
2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE & 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada Former 2007 RW&B VFR800
Marine Veteran & father of Sgt. Doug; (2 tours: Iraq) AND Former 2nd Lt. Corielle (Corie); VMI NROTC/Marine Opt. Grad
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 04:13 AM   #71
Moronic
Beastly Adventurer
 
Moronic's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Perth, Australia
Oddometer: 1,533
I've been keeping an eye on the market myself for a pillion bike, Echo3Niner, and under criteria similar to yours. Although I'm also interested in longer trips - a week or two - and would consider Japanese or German, in theory at least.

Your criteria really don't leave much room. Ducati, Aprilia, Guzzi, KTM, Triumph ... have I forgotten anything?

I've converted my Duc S4Rs Monster for pillion use, with stiffer springs, remote preload adjustment, a grab rail and a custom seat. Makes a nice two-up sports bike and cruises sweetly enough, while still very nice solo. My passenger enjoys life back there, says the big sports-tourers (K1200GT, for example) feel like riding on the bus by comparison.

But doubling on the Monster has opened my eyes to a few things (YMMV):

1. Short fuel range is even more annoying two-up. It is just that much more complicated starting and stopping.

2. Would be nice to sit a little more upright, for a better connection with the passenger.

3. Two people's stuff takes a lot more space than just mine. In uncertain weather we need two sets of waterproofs, for example.

4. I rarely use the top-end of the rev-range when two-up. Truth be told, I don't hit the rev limiter much solo either; prefer to short-shift the Duc. But two-up, with the compromised manoeuvrability and braking, and the extra responsibility, and the extra dividend for smoothness, I find rolling on and off the throttle in taller gears the most entertaining way to get around.

5. Easy rear spring preload adjustment is worth its weight in gold.

6. The Monster chassis can feel a bit flexy two-up, even properly sprung. Not sure where the flex is, suspect it may just be the fork. But the extra load is significant, and not all bikes are built for it.

Of your list, the Multistrada appeals most to me. I rode one briefly the other week, it had a heap of mid-range and felt very solid. Haven't tried it two-up yet, tho, and yes, I was a bit surprised I couldn't flat-foot it (I'm a fraction under 6').

The latest Guzzis - 2011 Norge and, more likely, the Stelvio 8v, due in the US late this year I believe - are also on my radar. The weight worries me a bit, but strength and grunt should be there, plus big range. I'll ride one when they get to Australia. IIRC when I did sit on one it was significantly shorter than the Multi 1200, so might be more your size.

Also worth your consideration might be the previous Multi. A bit shorter than the new one, shorter in the wheelbase, quite possibly lighter (belying Ducati's specs), arguably more sporty.

I will be trying a VFR1200 and an R1200RT also, when the time comes. Maybe even a Harley.

Edit: Nearly forgot the Motus. Looking on there with interest.

Moronic screwed with this post 07-19-2011 at 04:20 AM
Moronic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 09:38 AM   #72
Calamity Jesus
n0ob
 
Calamity Jesus's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2010
Location: Cary, NC
Oddometer: 246
Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiebear View Post
Corbin has a saddle with pillion backrest for the 2001-2011 Bonneville, Thruxton, Scrambler & T100's
That would be my choice for a non german, non japanese bike
Owning a Bonneville and having ridden a Thunderbird (non-Storm), I would pick the Bonneville over the Thunderbird any day. My wife absolutely hated the Thunderbird.. I only hated it when I tried to take a turn at normal speeds.
Calamity Jesus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2011, 08:40 PM   #73
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer
 
Echo3Niner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Oddometer: 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moronic View Post
I've been keeping an eye on the market myself for a pillion bike, Echo3Niner, and under criteria similar to yours. Although I'm also interested in longer trips - a week or two - and would consider Japanese or German, in theory at least.

Your criteria really don't leave much room. Ducati, Aprilia, Guzzi, KTM, Triumph ... have I forgotten anything?

I've converted my Duc S4Rs Monster for pillion use, with stiffer springs, remote preload adjustment, a grab rail and a custom seat. Makes a nice two-up sports bike and cruises sweetly enough, while still very nice solo. My passenger enjoys life back there, says the big sports-tourers (K1200GT, for example) feel like riding on the bus by comparison.

But doubling on the Monster has opened my eyes to a few things (YMMV):

1. Short fuel range is even more annoying two-up. It is just that much more complicated starting and stopping.

2. Would be nice to sit a little more upright, for a better connection with the passenger.

3. Two people's stuff takes a lot more space than just mine. In uncertain weather we need two sets of waterproofs, for example.

4. I rarely use the top-end of the rev-range when two-up. Truth be told, I don't hit the rev limiter much solo either; prefer to short-shift the Duc. But two-up, with the compromised manoeuvrability and braking, and the extra responsibility, and the extra dividend for smoothness, I find rolling on and off the throttle in taller gears the most entertaining way to get around.

5. Easy rear spring preload adjustment is worth its weight in gold.

6. The Monster chassis can feel a bit flexy two-up, even properly sprung. Not sure where the flex is, suspect it may just be the fork. But the extra load is significant, and not all bikes are built for it.

Of your list, the Multistrada appeals most to me. I rode one briefly the other week, it had a heap of mid-range and felt very solid. Haven't tried it two-up yet, tho, and yes, I was a bit surprised I couldn't flat-foot it (I'm a fraction under 6').

The latest Guzzis - 2011 Norge and, more likely, the Stelvio 8v, due in the US late this year I believe - are also on my radar. The weight worries me a bit, but strength and grunt should be there, plus big range. I'll ride one when they get to Australia. IIRC when I did sit on one it was significantly shorter than the Multi 1200, so might be more your size.

Also worth your consideration might be the previous Multi. A bit shorter than the new one, shorter in the wheelbase, quite possibly lighter (belying Ducati's specs), arguably more sporty.

I will be trying a VFR1200 and an R1200RT also, when the time comes. Maybe even a Harley.

Edit: Nearly forgot the Motus. Looking on there with interest.
Great write up, thanks for the info. I'm buying just about everything you're selling.
__________________
Semper Fi
2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE & 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada Former 2007 RW&B VFR800
Marine Veteran & father of Sgt. Doug; (2 tours: Iraq) AND Former 2nd Lt. Corielle (Corie); VMI NROTC/Marine Opt. Grad
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 08:55 PM   #74
Echo3Niner OP
Adventurer
 
Echo3Niner's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2011
Location: Fredericksburg, VA
Oddometer: 98
So after much discussion with the pillion, looks like we're going with the Sprint,, unless the Motus is not outrageously priced...

The other bikes didn't do it for her, after much discussion.
__________________
Semper Fi
2011 Triumph Daytona 675 SE & 2013 Ducati Diavel Strada Former 2007 RW&B VFR800
Marine Veteran & father of Sgt. Doug; (2 tours: Iraq) AND Former 2nd Lt. Corielle (Corie); VMI NROTC/Marine Opt. Grad
“Reveal to us the metal of thy character; suffer the courage of thy convictions.”
Echo3Niner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 03:01 AM   #75
concours
WFO for 41 years
 
concours's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2008
Location: Kensington, NH USA
Oddometer: 5,261
Quote:
Originally Posted by Echo3Niner View Post
So after much discussion with the pillion, looks like we're going with the Sprint,, unless the Motus is not outrageously priced...

The other bikes didn't do it for her, after much discussion.
Did you ride the Rocket III?
__________________
Too much is just barely enough.....
concours is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 07:59 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014