Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Battle scooters
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-29-2011, 02:53 PM   #31
Sportsman Matt
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
Big difference between the chinese model and the original Big Ruckus is very apparant. The Chinese clone lacks water cooling, lacks the Dual headlight setup, needs high octane gas, lighter weight, and probably lacks the linked braking system for the front and rear brakes, along with different size tires and rims than the original Honda Big Ruckus.

59MPH is impressive, but mine tops out at between 75-85 MPH depending on the grade and road conditions, cruises along at 65MPH without breaking a sweat. That's the difference between riding the original and a clone.

Now after your flogging for the clone, I have to say I am impressed, which is not very easy to do as I've been there and done that. Cool color, and with the exception of the color, looks exactly like a 2007 Big Ruckus, mainly due to the headlight.

Personally I would dump the single 55W/65W for a Dual 6" 55W/65W, they are bright enough to go deer jacking with, plus makes it look more like the OEM than a clone.

Also keep track of your MPG, the BR gets between 60-75MPG with the watercooled 250cc engine, wonder what
that lightweight 150cc air cooled gets?

And for storage, the Honda OEM water resistant storage container for the cargo rack is a Rubbermaid Action Packer, available from Walmart, and tied down with bungee cords or a bungee net.
IBA Member#48125 IBA Flag#1084 LDR Member# 432
2013 Victory Judge
I'm a man, and I can change, if I have, to I guess
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 03:18 PM   #32
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

Oddometer: 756
I'm still not sold on the dual headlight setup. I like the single headlight because it does a Dang good job on the bike.

I looked at the Honda big Ruckus before buying this but I would have had to get rid of my 08 bonnie t100 to get one of those with super low miles. My main goal is to use this on my 7 mile commute back and forth to the shop. I could have easily bought a 49cc scoot in a bigger frame for a little less to do the same ride but felt I needed a little more power.

So far it has been great. If I feel I need more power I will let the scooter shop pit a 200cc bbk in it but I am pretty happy with it right now.

Thanks for the tip on the rubbermade storage box. I will pick it up.
deezildennis is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 04:19 PM   #33
Sportsman Matt
Xtremely Bad Example

Oddometer: 313
Don't know how well the 200 BBK will work for you, I know I did a 82cc BBK on a 50cc air cooled, worked fine but not much difference over the 50cc performance wise other than the extra power for hill climbing, which gained me about 3MPH over the 50cc, but top speed still is the same.

One thought would be a way to cool the engine down more, reason I say this is I just did a Saddle Sore 1000 ride (1093 miles in 22.5 hours) on my BR last week Tuesday, and it was 80+ degrees during the day, and running mostly WOT through the mountains, the concern I had was running the engine for long stretches at top RPMs, and engine failure due to lack of being able to keep cool. But that wasn't the case with the water cooling, the indicator never came on for the "hot" engine temperature. I know if I was running an air-cooled, I would have had problems later into my long distance ride.

Don't forget along with the Rubbermaid, stop by a bike shop and get one of those bungee cargo nets. I used bungee cords for about 6 months, and as soon as I bought the net (buy the largest available), I ended up tossing the bungees in a bag behind the seat of my truck. I did keep one bungee for the front, I choked it on the top of the frame over the front cargo rack above the headlight and hooked the ends on the pins on the bottom of the front cargo rack, then use a cheap colapsable lunch cooler for a front bag.

here's a pic of my BR loaded with the front bag and cargo box held down with a net from last week tuesday's ride....

And how I load up typically for most rides where I need to switch out gear, I use the box and net, carrying a full face modular and gear in the box and jacket outside the box under the net.....

and the back with the saddle bags and the box (didn't tie the box down with bungee cords yet) but the saddle bags work, tie the loop straps to the cargo rack handles.....

The front bag....

I don't use the saddle bags as much as I used to, mainly due to storage restrictions, and only use the box when I really need it, but I do use the net and the front bag every trip.

hope this helps with the cargo situation.
IBA Member#48125 IBA Flag#1084 LDR Member# 432
2013 Victory Judge
I'm a man, and I can change, if I have, to I guess
Sportsman Matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #34
baloneyskin daddy
bikaholic

Oddometer: 1,904
The charging system on the clone won't handle the dual headlight set up thats on the BR.If you do any long inclines on your commute you should stock up on the drive belts as heat kills them and they are pretty wimpy compared to the BR. Otherwise ,for the money and what you're using it for, its a good deal.
baloneyskin daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:13 PM   #35
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

No big hills and I have a appointment at 2500 miles at the dealer to have him check the belt so we can get a idea on service life so we should be set on that.

Thanks for cargo pics SM!
Old 07-29-2011, 06:41 PM   #36
Woodsrat
Gone ridin'

Oddometer: 1,273
I still find it incredible that you can buy three of these things and still have money left over for what you'd pay for a BR. I think I'd druther have a two-fiddy instead (and the performance of the BR?) but it's still a helluva deal in my book.

When I first saw the BR in the showroom I thought to myself what one of the plastics makers ought to make are splash/wind shields out of the same kind of plastic that dirt bike fenders are made of. One of my gripes with scooters is the fragile plastic bodywork and this is the reason the Ruckus' tickled my fancy. Sadly the BR didn't sell in enough numbers to justify making the molds to do it. Maybe the Chinese will read this and someone will try it...

Eek!! More boring fiction--"One Last Ride in the Hoosier Revisited":
http://www.woodsrat.com
Woodsrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 10:39 AM   #37
btcn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,880
Well of course the BR is gonna have better performance! Its ridiculously overpriced! And its a Honda Scooter, not a little known chinese scooter. For what you pay for a Big Ruckus, I could by myself a nice beautiful used Harley Davidson Sportster, much more bike for the price.

Hell, for the dealer prices of a BR I could by a Sportster AND a Elite 250. Best of both worlds.

The Big Ruckus is without a doubt a AWESOME scooter. I would absolutely love to have one myself. But for those who simply can't find or afford one like me [I'm sure I'm not alone on that one] the Chinese scoot is a reasonable alternative for short distance riding.

The Honda is a well designed 249 cc water cooled engine. The Chinese is a little 150 cc GY6 air cooled engine.

But hey air cooling isn't that bad! I've never had a problem with an air cooled Harley overheating. They've been air cooled for 108+ years. Yes water cooling is better, but in my experience on old bikes it becomes a semi hassle in some cases. Air cooling is no maintenance and simple.

Water cooling does typically provide better performance though. My Water cooled 86 Elite 150 will do 65-70 MPH by GPS so I wouldn't say 59 MPH is impressive for 150 cc, its just decent.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:08 PM   #38
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

I am satisfied with the performance of This bike for sure.
I took all the side panels off last night to just know how to do it. I will get some pics right away.

I plan to go over the harness to put dielectric grease here and there. I am pretty impressed with the underpinnings of the bike as well nice clamps everywhere unlike most China stuff. I will get some pics.

Needs a tad louder pipe on it though :)
Old 07-30-2011, 12:54 PM   #39
bbishoppcm
It ain't a moped.

Oddometer: 666
Put me down as someone who only wishes he could afford a BR. I sat on one when they were still in production, then hopped off when I saw the price... and sulked back to my truck and left. I think they were like $5500 MSRP then... insane!!! Even the Helixes they had (this was in 2006 or so) were WAY over my price range.
bbishoppcm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 01:49 PM   #40
NachoRoto
Meet you there. OK?

Oddometer: 5,637
Interesting.
I put the GY6 in my little Ruckus and it does just around 60mph. I imagine the BR does a lot better. I think for the money I still would rather put the motor in a small Ruckus. If it were a 250 knock off I would be melting my CC right now on one.

I like the smallness. It's just big enough to haul me and the dog around.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:07 PM   #41
mas335
xendurist

Oddometer: 1,824
Well I may be in the minority here but I was not overly impressed with my Big Ruckus. Sure it was very nice in comparison to 50cc scooters which let's face it are mostly chinese crap.

I liked the larger frame and overall feel but as 250cc engines go it felt too "scooterish" for my taste and did not accelerate all that quick. Very well built, over priced, but in this day and time what brand name bike isn't, the back rest tilt was useless and the adjustable seat had too little adjustment. Overall weight seemed heavy to me.

Scooter suspension (BR included) seems to only be a concept and not a real functioning feature but then I have not ridden a lot of them. For what you have to pay for a BR a real motorcycle is a far better value.

IF the Chinese Big Ruckus clone is half the scooter that the Big Ruckus is then it is hard to deny their cost is well worth it. Since the BR clones are fairly scares I just wonder how hard it will be to get dedicated parts when you need them?

I'll be anxious to watch your progress reports on this 150
Old 07-30-2011, 02:35 PM   #42
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

The Little Ruckus is too dinky for me for the commute so it was out of the question.

I am sure the Dog, your weight and the Dinky Tires on the lil ruck add up to the 60mph top speed. The OD of the tires on the Klone are 19.125" By tape. Cute Dawg though!

The Electronics of the bike are going to be easily obtained. For shit's and giggles I bought a new speedo and Hall effect sensor this morning just to have... $60

The plastic is going to be hard to find. I Know Honda BR guys have used the Clone plastics before so Maybe if I need it I can use the plastic off of the honda if I need to. The the Damn thing looks badass without any plastic!!

The Harness looks to be used on other scoots so no big deal there.

Not really worried about the plastics even though they are specific to the bike..... If they break....They break.

Be back in a bit... It's raining and I want to see how it does in it.
Old 07-30-2011, 03:57 PM   #43
ColinDoyle
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 723
Quote:
Originally Posted by baloneyskin daddy View Post
The charging system on the clone won't handle the dual headlight set up thats on the BR.
This is true; however, there's an 11-pole stator available for the GY6. You'll have to upgrade your voltage regulator, as well, and change some wiring in the harness to make it work. I'm running the 11-pole stator with dual 55/60W H4 bulbs in the stock Ruckus headlight housings. The charging system works like a champ. If only I could say the same for the rest of the Chinese piece of shit engine... total garbage. I have to repair it every time I want to ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodsrat View Post
I still find it incredible that you can buy three of these things and still have money left over for what you'd pay for a BR.
Sure, but then you'd be stuck repairing three of them.

You could buy several used Pontiac minivans for the price of an Aston Martin DB9, too.

ColinDoyle screwed with this post 08-02-2011 at 10:15 AM Reason: Fixing a grammatical error.
ColinDoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2011, 07:29 PM   #44
gasandasphalt
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 469
Thumbs down Brc

I find this thread very intresting... Lots of differing opinions,, some, quit informing.. I have a 2006 helix, a 1980 P200e (kick start) and a Honda Aero 50cc. each are very different but all are fun... Good luck with your new BR Clone.
I had a 150cc China scooter (no idea as to the name), It said Apollo on the decal and it did very well, never had a problem. A guy in the WalMart parking lot wanted it so I sold it on the spot, had to call for a ride home....
Old 07-30-2011, 08:23 PM   #45
deezildennis OP
Its a what?

I seem to be having pretty good luck with it so far.
I put another 56 miles on it tonight.

Don't know what it is getting for gas mileage since the gas gauge isn't moving a bunch.

So thumbs up so far from me...