Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Beasts
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-31-2011, 04:42 PM   #7561
motomart
Adventurer

Oddometer: 87
So far I have had 3000 fabulous kilometers on my XC then one hot summer day I am out for a ride trough the city when I notice the idle dropping at stop lights something didnt feel right. I am in third gear 60 kmh coming up to a stop I pull in the clutch to down shift I release he clutch the back wheel locks up and the bike starts fish tailing I pull in the clutch instantly and pull over the bike has stalled. I try to re start it starts and stalls immediately I wait 10 min and it starts and it makes it home. This is my only stalling experience but it took some joy out of riding this bike now there is doubt. The next day going to work in the rain three lanes of traffic I am constantly worried about which lane Im in the rain slick road the traffic.

Now the two bikes traveling in Alaska one silver frame one black probably built months apart same amount of km, having the same problems HMMMMM.
motomart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:14 PM   #7562
cug
--

Oddometer: 4,845
I can't say it enough: file a complaint with the NHTSA or Triumph will not acknowledge the problem but will keep trying to fix on a one by one basis.

It doesn't take long and might one day safe a life. Maybe it's someone you know ...

https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/
cug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #7563
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceManSpiff View Post
Can it be that sidestand return spring is too weak, causing the sidestand to "bang around" on bumpy/rough sections, causing the sidestand switch to "think" the side stand is down, and turning the engine off. Could explain some of the stalling described....
No. It also happens when the bike is stopped, and in neutral.

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:52 PM   #7564
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by Presto1 View Post
So, I am the proud owner of a new 2012 XC and have been following the forum for some time. So far no stalling issues, but I haven't reached my break in mileage yet. Hope to do that this weekend if the rain holds out. I am trying to understand from the post if in fact the stalling/idle issue goes away with the installation of the Arrow pipe and remap. Does this "cure" the problem? Thanks.
My 2012 XC has the Arrow pipe and map. And as fate would have it, it stalls a lot and spent 25 days in the shop over the idle issue.

I got it back yesterday and rode the heck out of it this weekend. About 500 miles worth of Dual Sport riding. This is the design intent isn't it?

So in the last 500 miles, after it being in the shop for 25 days, it stalls a lot. It did not do that when I brought it in for it's 500 mile service. 25 days and a new throttle body assembly later it has stalled no less than 20 times.

I live at altitude. I ride at altitude. It seemed to me yesterday that the stalling might be altitude related (over 10,000 feet was the worst of it) but coming home today, at a mile high, it stalled pulling into my driveway.

The bike currently has 1340 miles on it.

I'm pissed off!
Save $5 off your smugmug account with this coupon( 1qoLJk8tfsGWM )
Deano955 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:04 PM   #7565
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,893
Quote:
Originally Posted by av_mech View Post
That really sucks Deano. I don't believe the stalling in water is a design flaw on the bike. It may be yet another issue with your particular bike. Remember that crazy rain we had in Denver a little while ago? Sante Fe and Alemeda was under almost 2.5 feet of water and I crossed it ten times. I assure you my bike has been thoroughly water tested. I'd seriously start pushing for lemon law and try to get a new bike.
No shit, you crossed water that many times? And no instant death?

I was washing my bike this evening and looked closer at the suspected part. It actually has a rubber elbow on the front of it that looks like a drain. The part in question is just below the countershaft sprocket. It has 2 wires on the back of it and the drain tube on the front. Don't know what it is, but I suspect that is the reason my bike stalled in that little water crossing. Really, the water was about as high as that part. The bike died and would not restart until I pushed the Beast out of the water. Then within a few tries, it started back up.

I rode it again today, for about 300 miles. I covered some nice DS passes and had a great day. However, the bike stalled on me 5 times.

Unfortunately, you might be on to something regarding the Lemon Law...
Save $5 off your smugmug account with this coupon( 1qoLJk8tfsGWM )
Deano955 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:06 PM   #7566
Mercury264
Once you go Triple...

Oddometer: 21,767
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post

I was washing my bike this evening and looked closer at the suspected part. It actually has a rubber elbow on the front of it that looks like a drain. The part in question is just below the countershaft sprocket. It has 2 wires on the back of it and the drain tube on the front. Don't know what it is, but I suspect that is the reason my bike stalled in that little water crossing. Really, the water was about as high as that part. The bike died and would not restart until I pushed the Beast out of the water. Then within a few tries, it started back up.

I rode it again today, for about 300 miles. I covered some nice DS passes and had a great day. However, the bike stalled on me 5 times.

Isn't that the charcoal canister ?
'99 XR650L
'99 Speed Triple
Mercury264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 07:25 PM   #7567
jimjim
Just another FF!

Oddometer: 1,547
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercury264 View Post
Isn't that the charcoal canister ?
Yes that's the charcoal canister and it shouldn't have anything to do with Deano's stalling. Those are not electrical wires but rubber hoses attached to the back.
jimjim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:04 PM   #7568
cug
--

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjim View Post
Yes that's the charcoal canister and it shouldn't have anything to do with Deano's stalling. Those are not electrical wires but rubber hoses attached to the back.
When the charcoal canister on the F800GS sucked water (on really rainy days or during water crossings), the bike stalled. And it killed the charcoal over time - which it then might have sucked into more sensible parts of the bike.

Solution was to put a T in the hose that went from the canister down to the lower parts of the bike and route a hose somewhere under the seat from it. That solution was suggested by a BMW mech on a forum and solved canister related stalling and was later the official change in the recall issued by BMW.

Worth a look.

Check out the F800GS findings here.
Old 07-31-2011, 08:18 PM   #7569
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Oddometer: 912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano955 View Post

I'm wondering if this is the clue to the problem. Maybe the stalling issue has something to do with the charcoal filter?
Xcountry-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 08:25 PM   #7570
cug
--

It can't be for all cases as people with Canadian bikes have it, too, and those don't have a charcoal filter (rightly so because that POS is making more trouble than good).
Old 07-31-2011, 09:06 PM   #7571
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by outactrl View Post
Triumph doesn't know why either. Dropped my bike off yesterday for the 3rd time to correct this issue. They had it 3 weeks last time, ended up replacing the throttle bodies, but that didn't help. They ran all the diagnostics and found nothing wrong. Ladies, I've been following your ride report and absotulely love it! I bought the Tiger to do trips exaclty like yours. I would hate for you to have to cut your trip short because of this issue. But Triumph does not have a fix for this, hoping you get home safe.
I'm wondering if he may have stumbled on the stalling issue that some folks are having maybe connected to the charcoal canister? I did a google search and there seems to be a good connection to charcoal canisters and stalling issues in other bikes.

http://www.google.com/search?q=charc...w=1366&bih=564
Old 07-31-2011, 09:23 PM   #7572
cug
--

The thing is: European and Canadian spec bikes don't have a canister (not sure about Canadian, but certain about European). And for example Cheryl and Leslie should have Canadian spec bikes, therefore no canister and still they experience stalling.

It might just be another potentially contributing factor, especially during water crossings.
Old 07-31-2011, 09:29 PM   #7573
Xcountry-Rider
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
I'm wondering if he may have stumbled on the stalling issue that some folks are having maybe connected to the charcoal canister? I did a google search and there seems to be a good connection to charcoal canisters and stalling issues in other bikes.

http://www.google.com/search?q=charc...w=1366&bih=564
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
It can't be for all cases as people with Canadian bikes have it, too, and those don't have a charcoal filter (rightly so because that POS is making more trouble than good).
Over at this forum folks are saying they've got the problem fixed.

http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-800-...c-owner-3.html
Old 08-01-2011, 12:14 AM   #7574
sandgroper
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,650
Quote:
Originally Posted by cug View Post
will they have a job in a few days

ed
sandgroper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:18 AM   #7575
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xcountry-Rider View Post
Over at this forum folks are saying they've got the problem fixed.

http://www.triumphrat.net/tiger-800-...c-owner-3.html

That is interesting. They do not have a solution there, in terms of ECU tune. I mean, nothing different than what people have talked here or in the tiger 800 forum, about the arrow tune resolving the issue for some bit not all. One person mentions a "custom" map, though.

That same person on that forum (triumph rat) does mention the stepper motor and the actuator. That changing these resolved it, alongside a custom map.

Here is the text:

"Got my XC back from the dealer yesterday. They replaced the stepper motor and the actuator. The technician did a custom map and sent the numbers to Triumph. I understand that Triumph is fully aware of this problem and they plan to take care of anyone dealing with this situation. Standby for another official Triumph map very soon."

This is interesting because when Cheryl and Leslie's bikes were diagnosed with a stepper motor problem, in their Alaska trip, I thought they were finally zooming into the problem. But there is no reference to this in the service summary of the work performed in their bikes (that we read in their thread).

A stepper motor, AFAIK, in response to ECU commands, would optimize engine performance by advancing/retarding timing on Variable Valve Timing engines according to changes in ambient and engine temperature, for example. My bike, when it stalls, the timing seems to be a bit advanced (specially on warm conditions), as engine at times will not stall but you hear a knock in the situation it would stall (blipping the throttle) and it catches up. And when it stalls, it is sudden, with no sputtering like it could do as a result of a fueling issue.

And what did solve the issue with that guy in the Triumphrat forum? The replacement of the stepper motor/actuator or the custom map? Or do you need both worked on to resolve it?

These are just a few thoughts out there... I'm not a mechanic, so please take my comments with a grain of salt (I already made the same comments on the Tiger 800 Forum, based on someone else's similar point there).

Lion

I'd rather be riding!

Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote