User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-31-2011, 05:59 PM   #1
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,546
First rides, farkles and fixes: show off your bike here!

Did you get the hottest new bike or a steal of a deal on a well run-in used bike? Have you added the fanciest new tire or GPS cradle? Know how to tear down every conceivable motor known to man and are able to put all back together, make it run better than before and even have pictures to prove it? Well here is the place to show off!

I'll start.

I just purchased a 2011 KTM 990 Adventure and would like to share my initial impressions after a thousand or so miles of mostly asphalt.

Engine:

Mother of all things holy, the LC8 is an absolute beast. Even in sixth gear, jumping in to the other lane to pass is no trouble. I am looking forward to seeing how it does at slower, off road speeds.

Transmission:

As impressive as the Tiger 800XC transmission is, I think the tranny on this bike is just about as good. It's not in the least bit clunky and generally shifts smoothly.

Electronics:

Everything seemed to work smoothly. No troubles so far. I like the power point on the dash.

Ergonomics:

The seat on this bike is fairly stiff; not uncomfortable in spite of that, but after a couple of three hundred mile days, each cheek muscle has a nice sore point on it right where my butt bones are. The seat seems to follow the shape of the bike pretty well, so it is fairly narrow which doesn't interfere with my legs wrapping around the bike. I think a wider seat a bit back from the gas tank area would fit me better. Losing some weight would definitely help too.

The pegs are set too far to the inside of the bike. The insides of my knees are sore from rubbing the gas tank since I was standing up so much to alleviate my butt pain. I see that many owners of this bike install foot peg extensions and I will likely do the same.

The bars are almost a little to far away from me; I can't decide if I like their positioning or not. I usually have this problem; I am six foot one inch, with a roughly thirty two inch in seam; I guess it's my short arms that keep me from reaching the bars just right; think similar dimensions to a T-rex. I will probably put risers on it.

The wind protection on the stock screen is non-existent. I don't mind full force wind nearly as much as the horrible vibratory effect I got on the Tiger. It's not a Harley after all.

Overall performance:

The bike seems to fit me rather well. Even though I feel the weight of the bike down low, it's manageable. In fact, I really didn't realize how heavy the bike is until early on in the trip, I had to cinch down on the brakes pretty hard a couple of times because I didn't give myself enough room to stop. It is a heavy bike, but definitely not heavy like a GS. I am looking forward to getting this beast off road and getting comfortable with it.

The Scorpion 50/50 tire did just fine on the asphalt. They seemed to be o.k. on gravel, but we didn't ride much of that. I am contemplating changing to a more aggressive off road tire for our CO/UT trip.

Gripes:

The dust cover jammed on the right hand fuel filler neck. I had to have fuel, so I pried it up until it broke. I'm sure the dealer will take care of it, but I noted that the demo bike had the same problem on the same side. Hmm.

I did read enough of the owners manual to figure out that there were fuel taps on both of the tanks. What I didn't realize after running out of gas trying to make the bike get more than seventy miles out of a fill up was that both taps needed to be turned on and hadn't been when I took delivery of it; dummy. Fuel mileage doubled after that and the gas in the right tank started disappearing!

The fuel mileage on this bike isn't going to be that good. Thirty-two-ish miles to the gallon and it only holds about five gallons of gas.

The battery is under the skid plate. I know: I was warned about the maintenance and difficulty of getting to things.

I am very pleased with this bike so far and if the past is any indication of the future with the bikes I've owned, the poorest performing part of the bike will be the rider.

Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote