Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-30-2011, 11:01 PM   #61
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 628
Quote:
Originally Posted by alekkas View Post
Rhino, to respectfully add because this bridge has been viewed with a little more respect than most of the old ones. Due to your influence, an overnight motorcycle / camping trip with my 15 year old wound up with an early morning visit to the Lyndon, IL bridge. I am adding because it seems to have a different fate from many old bridges. The town rescued it from demolition in 1995 and sells plaques for the foundation - you can "sponsor" a plank for $75. Just south of I88, I think it is north of your area.

The bridge inexplicably connects the town to gravel roads and cornfields. Built in 1894, it is approximately 600 feet long. It is a Pratt Truss that you have photographed so well in other examples, so I'll just add two photos that set this apart from the others I have found.

The town built a park around it. We met a man on his morning bicycle ride. He said it still gets used by walkers and bikes. The park gets used for parties and cook outs:

Most planks were memorials, sponsorships, and other things. This was my favorite - so sweet....

Gotta tell you, Rhino, this is not only an excellent "treasure hunt" type activity to add to rides. There are a lot of emotions attached to walking an old and noble or sad and neglected structure that is abandoned. The design and workmanship of these old bridges is pretty amazing. Thanks for the rides.

alekkas, thanks for sharing the photos and the encouraging story of a city rescuing this historic treasure for generations to come to enjoy. You are correct about the emotions felt when visiting these old structures. One of the biggest thrills is finding a way to cross the old closed bridges , stop in the middle and try to picture the farmer taking his crops to town with a horse and wagon, the Model-A with family going to church on sunday morning, a soilder comming home from WW2 on his Indian Scout, the two brothers taking a break from farm chores and fishing off the bridge, Richie driving his 55 Chevy way too fast trying to get Mary home before she is late. The school bus dropping kids off after school, the mail man delivering mail in the snow, .............................

I am glad you are enjoying this.

Brad
985+ Old Bridges in Missouri
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
rhino_adv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:02 PM   #62
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Amazing to me how many of these were built in the 1800's and are still around, even if they are closed to traffic.

That bridge in Lyndon is over the Rock River I assume? I grew up west of Sterling and used to go with my Dad and brother to Lyndon to get parts for farm equipment. I still have family not far from there.
Jetpilot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:03 PM   #63
Suruppak
hack

Oddometer: 126
This is one of my favorite threads! Rhino, besides bridgehunter, do you have any other resources for finding these old bridges? Some of the ones you've described I've lived near my whole life and never knew they were there!
Suruppak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 09:12 PM   #64
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suruppak View Post
This is one of my favorite threads! Rhino, besides bridgehunter, do you have any other resources for finding these old bridges? Some of the ones you've described I've lived near my whole life and never knew they were there!

Suruppak, I spend many hours on my computer with GOOGLE EARTH. Find a river or creek and pan down to less than 1000 feet and follow the water way. This is very time consuming, but at the same time very rewarding when I locate an old bridge. I am glad you are enjoying this!

Brad
PAVED ROADS...... ANOTHER PERFECT EXAMPLE OF NEEDLESS, SPENDING BY THE GOVERNMENT"
Old 08-01-2011, 10:36 AM   #65
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
It just keeps getting better!!

kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 07:06 AM   #66
Critic
More or less!

Oddometer: 1,236
Rhino, Thanks for the old iron tour! It is a cool refreashing ride (which is great with our current weather) down history's roads. I will have slow down and take a closer look next time I cross one.
past:BigBear250,T100cs,Savage250s,TS185,DT175,GT550,TY250,XR200/350/250,R75/7,Ft500,RD350,YZ125,KDX175,SP500,K1000rs,DR250,883,S1,ST2,KLX650,KE100,GS1000,Monster,Vstr om1000&650,950adv,625sxc,250SSherpa,530exc,990adv, 690e
Critic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2011, 08:12 AM   #67
gnuse
Ride to Fly

Oddometer: 272
Great RR. Thanks.
Old 08-06-2011, 08:11 PM   #68
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Dewitt and Piatt Counties

Today I me up with JUNIOR650 and jamojoe and headed south east to Dewitt county. The first bridge we planned to see is a closed Pony truss bridge over Ten Mile Creek on Cemetery Road on the north end of Clinton. The bridge has a Total length: 67.9 ft and Deck width: 12.1 ft.

Our rides for the day, JUNIOR650s-KLR650, jamojoes-TransAlp, and rhino_adv-Dr650.....

The next bridge is located SSW of Clinton over Salt Creek in Texas township. This bridge can be seen on the west side of 825 East Rd. The bridge planks are baddly rotted with holes in the deck and not really safe to walk across. I dont expect there to be much planking left on the bridge in a year or two.

View from the new bridge...

From here we head south east towards Piatt County.
Not a old iron bridge, BUT a neat old iron structure.....

and a neat old country church....

The Coulter's Mill Bridge is a Parker through truss, concrete deck bridge over Sangamon River (Lake Decatur) on a closed section of Coulter's Mill Road. The bridge gets its name from the Coulter Mill that was down stream from the bridge. The mill along with several small bridges were washed away in a flood on 12 March 1898.

Old 08-08-2011, 06:56 AM   #69
vfrpilot
Stress Relief Rider

Oddometer: 670
The wife and I went on a little ride this past weekend and saw a couple of bridges of intrest.
First we crossed the Sangamon on the Bolivia road bridge. What a cool old bridge!

Then we stopped and walked across the Sugar Creek Covered bridge. It's just South of Springfield. N 39 38.440 W 89 39.762
I don't know the history of it, wheather it was moved there or was originally built there.

Then we continued on riding over to Pittsfield where we rode ThumperDRZ's Ill-Mo river track.
After going down to St Peters MO and spending the night, we came up the MO side and crossed the Mississippi at Louisiana. Between Louisiana and Rock Port IL we happened across this old bridge.

It's located at N 39 30641 W91 00.014
Thought you might be interested in this one!
*2012 Gas Gas TXT250 **2014 Beta 520RS
vfrpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 11:19 AM   #70
Jetpilot5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
The wife and I went on a little ride this past weekend and saw a couple of bridges of interest.
First we crossed the Sangamon on the Bolivia road bridge. What a cool old bridge!

Then we stopped and walked across the Sugar Creek Covered bridge. It's just South of Springfield. N 39 38.440 W 89 39.762
I don't know the history of it, wheather it was moved there or was originally built there.

I'm familiar with that one. Shot this a while back when I still had the BMW.

Great thread!

Jetpilot5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 12:04 PM   #71
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by vfrpilot View Post
The wife and I went on a little ride this past weekend and saw a couple of bridges of intrest.

Then we continued on riding over to Pittsfield where we rode ThumperDRZ's Ill-Mo river track.
After going down to St Peters MO and spending the night, we came up the MO side and crossed the Mississippi at Louisiana. Between Louisiana and Rock Port IL we happened across this old bridge.

It's located at N 39 30641 W91 00.014
Thought you might be interested in this one!

vfrpilot, yes this is the original location of the Sugar Creek Covered Bridge (also known as the Glenarm, or Hedley bridge). This 60 foot span is listed on the National register of historic places and is one of 5 remaining 19th century covered bridges in Illinois. Rehabilitated by IDOT in 1965 to keep it intact, this wonderful old structure was placed on a modern under-deck and embankments to keep it preserved for many years to come. The historical society of Sangamon County established ‘Pioneer Park’ adjacent to the bridge in honor of Robert Pullian, who settled there around 1817. The original bridge was constructed around 1880 using the Burr Arch design and served as a passage across Sugar Creek for what must of been countless settlers, livestock and traders for many, many years. This site is wonderfully kept and is just a mile or so off of historic Route 66. For a nice diversion when traveling the ‘Mother Road’ or heading down I-55, exit at Glenarm (Exit 83) and take the frontage road up through and past Glenarm and follow the signs. It’s beautiful country and just a short hop off the main road.

The old iron bridge is The Syn Bridge, a pin-connected, 6-panel Pratt through truss bridge over The Sny River on TR 136, 2 mi. south of Rockport in Atlas Township, Pike County. It has a total length: 139.4 ft. , deck width: 15.7 ft. and a vertical clearance above deck: 11.0 ft.

Brad
Old 08-08-2011, 12:29 PM   #72
Quin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
This is great! Have the new to me GS and now new locations to head with the camera. thanks for the posting
Quin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2011, 07:30 PM   #73
kimzx1000r
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 521
Awesome covered bridge, great find!
kimzx1000r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2011, 05:48 PM   #74
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Today I met up with "tripleplay" and headed to Macon and Christian counties where we met up with "cabinfever" to photograph eleven old bridges. The first two were located in Macon county and crossed the Mosquito Creek.

The first was a pin-connected, 6-panel, wood deck Pratt through truss bridge over Mosquito Creek on TR 16, 6 mi. east of Mt.Auburn. The bridge was built in 1893 with a total length: 82.0 ft, deck width of 13.7 ft and a vertical clearance above deck: 11.5 ft. This bridge has been closed for many years.

The next bridge is a riveted, 5-panel, concrete deck Pratt pony truss bridge over Mosquito Creek on Archery Club Road (TR 32), 1.9 mi. northeast of Blue Mound. This bridge was built with total length: 71.1 ft and a deck width: 15.7 ft.

More to come......................

Brad

rhino_adv screwed with this post 08-20-2011 at 07:22 AM
Old 08-15-2011, 01:48 PM   #75
rhino_adv OP
Gnarly Adventurer

The next bridge we came to was the riveted, 4-panel Pratt bedstead pony truss bridge over Flat Branch on TR 264, 4 mi. southeast of Stonington in in Christian county. This bridge has a total length: 100.0 ft. and a deck width: 13.1 ft. There was a tremendous amount of debris washed up to the bridge from recent flooding. This must be removed or the bridge risks being lost in another flood.

more to come.......

Brad