Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > Tejas and the Gulf States
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2011, 08:56 AM   #16
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a new 2011 Ninja 1000. I've only put about 800 miles on it so far, mostly commuting and a ride to Yazoo to see family this weekend.

Lots of power, but I think they could have saved money by leaving out gears 2-5. Once you get to 6 there's almost no need to downshift until it's time to stop. I've slowed to about 35-40, rolled on the throttle a little and was right back up to speed.

On heat, I've noticed that it puts off a little more than my Strom, but not as much as the Benelli did.

The riding position is pretty comfortable, but the seat isn't as plush as the Strom or as fitted as the Benelli. My ass is ready for a break after an hour. I'll definitely be looking into a Sargent or Corbin.

No buffeting problems, windshield doesn't see much different in high, medium, or low position. Probably going to buy a bigger one to put on when it gets cold again and for longer rides.

Handling: oh yeah

Headlights, not sure. I haven't been out where's there aren't streetlights after dark yet.

Gas mileage has been between 32 and 37, averaged 35. Usually need to get gas somewhere around 130 miles. I think it would be closer to 39 or 40mpg if I could keep the speed in double digits.

Planned farkles:
better seat
touring windshield
GPS mount
hard luggage
If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:24 AM   #17
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Oddometer: 3,638
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
Recently purchased a 2004 Wee Strom...

I put over 700 miles on it Saturday and have a few things to say about it.

1. It has adequate power for my intended uses. I could be cruising along in 6th gear, change lanes and roll on to pass cars with ease on two lane roads...

2. I did not notice any heat problems... Did have some buffeting and I'm not sure if it is from the Givi aftermarket windshield, my new helmet or the funky hand guards on the bike that seem to take a direct hit from the wind...

3. Comfort, OH YEAH... Coming from a KLR, the Sargent seat was great for the first 500 miles, but I think being in wet jeans may have skewed my test a little...

4. Buffeting.... A little head vibration over 60MPH. Will try putting the stock windscreen back on or adjusting height.

4. Handling. Like a dream. Well, almost... It had been lowered and this caused some problems. But as of today, it is back raised and feels much better. With more miles, i know how much this helped...

5. Headlights. One word, AWESOME!!! Better than my F150!!!!

6. Gas mileage, I have not calculated it yet, but did keep a mileage log and will add it up tomorrow. It appears I was in the mid to upper 40's in rough guestimation.

Overall, the Weeeeee is a great bike. I think it will be in the garage a while.

-----------

the bike came mostly fully farkled:

Hepco & Becker 37L side cases and racks.
Motech crash bars
heated grips
custom hand guards (will probably have to go, did not like)
Sargent and stock set
Givi and stock windshield
New Chain and sprockets
Lowering links and shortened side stand (going up for sale or trade in FM soon)
Skidplate (don't like the design and will be offering for sale when I get a new one that covers more)
Almost new Tourance tires
Center stand
etc so forth and so on....

I likes it!!!!
It looks like a great bike! Can't wait to see it!
Supahflid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:29 AM   #18
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashDummy View Post
A couple of weeks ago I picked up a new 2011 Ninja 1000. I've only put about 800 miles on it so far, mostly commuting and a ride to Yazoo to see family this weekend.

Lots of power, but I think they could have saved money by leaving out gears 2-5. Once you get to 6 there's almost no need to downshift until it's time to stop. I've slowed to about 35-40, rolled on the throttle a little and was right back up to speed.

On heat, I've noticed that it puts off a little more than my Strom, but not as much as the Benelli did.

The riding position is pretty comfortable, but the seat isn't as plush as the Strom or as fitted as the Benelli. My ass is ready for a break after an hour. I'll definitely be looking into a Sargent or Corbin.

No buffeting problems, windshield doesn't see much different in high, medium, or low position. Probably going to buy a bigger one to put on when it gets cold again and for longer rides.

Handling: oh yeah

Headlights, not sure. I haven't been out where's there aren't streetlights after dark yet.

Gas mileage has been between 32 and 37, averaged 35. Usually need to get gas somewhere around 130 miles. I think it would be closer to 39 or 40mpg if I could keep the speed in double digits.

Planned farkles:
better seat
touring windshield
GPS mount
hard luggage
MotorCyclist magazine named your bike the 2011 bike of the year. The article showcased a bike that was the same color as your bike. Very pretty and sounds like the two of you are bonding rather well!
Old 08-01-2011, 09:34 AM   #19
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,554
I guess I'll play. I got a 2011 Tiger 800XC ABS from Capitol Sports back in April. I absolutely love the Tiger. I have 3 other bikes & have not even cranked them since I took delivery. It handles like a sportbike on the Tarmac. Offroad it is still impressing me everytime I ride. One day me & nanohiccup rode in the pouring rain for 10hrs including a deep mud hole that we went thru twice & the Tiger did not miss a beat. The stock windshield is more of a fairing than a windshield, but in this heat it's fine. The whole bike can be described with one word "SMOOTH".
My list of stuff:
15th front sprocket (down from a 16th)
Front fender extender
Center stand
Engine guards
Sump guard
Oil filter guard
Headlight guard
Jesse luggage
Micatech top case
Mud sling (home made)
Karoo T rubber
Throttle lock
Highway pegs
Givi windshield (for long trips & cold)
Seal saver wraps (Velcro type)
Shorty levers (waiting for some real handguards before I install)

I think thats about it.

Old 08-01-2011, 09:44 AM   #20
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,665
I bought a Banana. I like it.

It flies.
Old 08-01-2011, 09:48 AM   #21
backwoodsKLR
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,365
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schickmeister View Post
I bought a Banana. I like it.

It flies.
That is a very insightful report you posted... got any pics of said banana?
backwoodsKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 12:21 PM   #22
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I guess I'll play. I got a 2011 Tiger 800XC ABS from Capitol Sports back in April. I absolutely love the Tiger. I have 3 other bikes & have not even cranked them since I took delivery. It handles like a sportbike on the Tarmac. Offroad it is still impressing me everytime I ride. One day me & nanohiccup rode in the pouring rain for 10hrs including a deep mud hole that we went thru twice & the Tiger did not miss a beat. The stock windshield is more of a fairing than a windshield, but in this heat it's fine. The whole bike can be described with one word "SMOOTH".
My list of stuff:
15th front sprocket (down from a 16th)
Front fender extender
Center stand
Engine guards
Sump guard
Oil filter guard
Headlight guard
Jesse luggage
Micatech top case
Mud sling (home made)
Karoo T rubber
Throttle lock
Highway pegs
Givi windshield (for long trips & cold)
Seal saver wraps (Velcro type)
Shorty levers (waiting for some real handguards before I install)

I think thats about it.

How do you like the tires? Do they feel pretty good on the asphalt? How are they wearing?

Good looking bike. I am glad you are enjoying it!
Old 08-01-2011, 12:34 PM   #23
Rob Dirt
More or less in line

Oddometer: 2,554
I'm one of those riders that would rather ride on the street with knobbies than ride offroad with street tires. The first time I used them was that 10hr rain ride. The only time I can tell they aren't street tires is rolling to a stop. I have about 700 miles (90% tarmac) on them & they still look new. I did remove those little finger things before I used them, but I'm paranoid about new tires. I broke my wrist because of new tires once. Overall I give them 2 thumbs up. FYI, they are the Karoo T, not the regular Karoo.
Old 08-01-2011, 12:37 PM   #24
Schickmeister
Youngin'

Oddometer: 2,665
Quote:
Originally Posted by backwoodsKLR View Post
That is a very insightful report you posted... got any pics of said banana?

Surely...coming soon.
Old 08-01-2011, 01:43 PM   #25
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Dirt View Post
I'm one of those riders that would rather ride on the street with knobbies than ride offroad with street tires. The first time I used them was that 10hr rain ride. The only time I can tell they aren't street tires is rolling to a stop. I have about 700 miles (90% tarmac) on them & they still look new. I did remove those little finger things before I used them, but I'm paranoid about new tires. I broke my wrist because of new tires once. Overall I give them 2 thumbs up. FYI, they are the Karoo T, not the regular Karoo.

Do you know if that's the same as Karoo 2? (I know, I know, lmgtfy)
Old 08-01-2011, 01:48 PM   #26
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,298

Bought this beast last Wed and rode it 1900 miles home. What can I say that hasn't already been said about these things? Not much. It's pretty much amazing and the shifter is starting to become a quirky endearment. The micatech luggage is cavernous and works well.

The stock seat doesn't seem terrible to me but the stock pegs are tiny for standing. I haven't been terribly impressed with this particular windscreen either (z-technic iirc). I have to slouch slightly even at the highest setting to keep the top of my helmet out of the wind.
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:01 PM   #27
Supahflid OP
Wheelieless

Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post

Bought this beast last Wed and rode it 1900 miles home. What can I say that hasn't already been said about these things? Not much. It's pretty much amazing and the shifter is starting to become a quirky endearment. The micatech luggage is cavernous and works well.

The stock seat doesn't seem terrible to me but the stock pegs are tiny for standing. I haven't been terribly impressed with this particular windscreen either (z-technic iirc). I have to slouch slightly even at the highest setting to keep the top of my helmet out of the wind.
Most of the GS's I see have an extension on the windscreen. DQ's bike does and it really blocks the wind well. My only gripe is that you have to look through the windscreen; I prefer to see over it. I bet you have already looked in to something like though. Nice bike!
Old 08-01-2011, 02:09 PM   #28
CrashDummy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,304
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Do you know if that's the same as Karoo 2? (I know, I know, lmgtfy)
No, no, let me lmgtfy http://tinyurl.com/3r9ehr4
If you posted a thread on Face Plant that you crashed because an eagle attacked your helmet, you'd get five people saying how you should know better than to paint your helmet _________ and another five who will suggest you should have taken the MSF Eagle Avoidance course. Then another five will say the Eagle Avoidance Course sucks....
CrashDummy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 02:46 PM   #29
veriest1
Grand NOOBlet

Oddometer: 2,298
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supahflid View Post
Most of the GS's I see have an extension on the windscreen. DQ's bike does and it really blocks the wind well. My only gripe is that you have to look through the windscreen; I prefer to see over it. I bet you have already looked in to something like though. Nice bike!
I'd prefer to see over it as well but it wouldn't be any worse than looking through this one. I'd been wondering how well the stocker with an extension would work but haven't had time to really research. I'm glad to hear this has merit and will look into it more.
veriest1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 03:25 PM   #30
Mr2mch
Cycledelic Hippie

Oddometer: 2,454
Quote:
Originally Posted by veriest1 View Post
I'd prefer to see over it as well but it wouldn't be any worse than looking through this one. I'd been wondering how well the stocker with an extension would work but haven't had time to really research. I'm glad to hear this has merit and will look into it more.
I like the little adjustable aerofoil on my MRA shield. Course I have a V Strom but the shields should work similar & you can buy the adj spoiler separately to mount to the shield of your choice. See twisted throttle dot com

There's no time like the present....well,cept for maybe that hour when the time changes in the Fall.

cycledelic hippie
Mr2mch is offline   Reply With Quote